IGNORED

Being a manager has never been harder

Clutton Caveman

I think that life as a football manager has never been as hard as it is now.

At one time, if players stepped out of line, they got dropped. This really meant something and generally pulled them into line.

Nowadays it seems that provided the money is OK, many players are quite happy to sit on the bench, get the occasional game and go out on loan.

With this attitude how can a manager maintain discipline?

If he fines the player is it like water off a ducks back or the PFA gets involved

If he gives the player a good dressing down often as not you get a huge sulk or even a split in the dressing room.

You can bring a kid in from lower league, spend hours on the training pitch improving him and as soon as he is a first team regular he tells you he is not interested in renewing his contract.

In this way Bosman was a huge step backwards and a disincentive to grow your own.

I wonder how managers like Chris Wilder seem to be able to rule with an iron fist and still be popular with his players

I guess this comes down to respect and as we know, this is the hardest commodity to gain and maintain

I agree with what you say, but there are managers in every era who adapt to the times and are successful. 
Our own manager I can tell you is very highly rated and respected by the players , which doesn’t make him a good manager, but gives him one less problem and makes getting players buying into ideas easier. 

22 minutes ago, Clutton Caveman said:

At one time, if players stepped out of line, they got dropped. This really meant something and generally pulled them into line.

Nowadays it seems that provided the money is OK, many players are quite happy to sit on the bench, get the occasional game and go out on loan.

If he fines the player is it like water off a ducks back or the PFA gets involved

If he gives the player a good dressing down often as not you get a huge sulk or even a split in the dressing room.

You can bring a kid in from lower league, spend hours on the training pitch improving him and as soon as he is a first team regular he tells you he is not interested in renewing his contract.

In this way Bosman was a huge step backwards and a disincentive to grow your own.

I wonder how managers like Chris Wilder seem to be able to rule with an iron fist and still be popular with his players

I guess this comes down to respect and as we know, this is the hardest commodity to gain and maintain

Successful managers / coaches find out what motivates their charges and help them fulfill their potential.

If money is all a certain player is interested in then you tell him that if he performs at his best then he will earn more , for example. 

31 minutes ago, Clutton Caveman said:

It's an easier task with a group of players that are punching above their weight. Give Wilder a couple of talented, ego-driven young stars and it could be a different story.

4 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

It has been reported that Eliasson won’t sign a new contract at the club believing that bigger things await him .

How do you motivate a lad who wants out ?

You show him that playing out of his skin for us will increase the number and quality of clubs interested in him. 

Show the world what you can do.

Those days are long gone. Everyone wants everything right now. One good season is now the norm for someone to want out and on to something bigger (see Reid, Bobby)

5 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

It has been reported that Eliasson won’t sign a new contract at the club believing that bigger things await him .

You show him that playing out of his skin for us will increase the number and quality of clubs interested in him. 

Pogba situation?

12 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

“Reported” where..?

The only reports I can find are that we are likely to take up the 1 year extension option and that we are in talks with his agents about agreeing a new deal and the NE is “very happy at Bristol City” 

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/footballleagueworld.co.uk/niclas-eliasson-offers-fresh-insight-to-contract-situation-at-bristol-city/amp/

• Admin
57 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

44 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

“Reported” where..?

The only reports I can find are that we are likely to take up the 1 year extension option and that we are in talks with his agents about agreeing a new deal and the NE is “very happy at Bristol City” 

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/footballleagueworld.co.uk/niclas-eliasson-offers-fresh-insight-to-contract-situation-at-bristol-city/amp/

Certainly not what has been said by either LJ or Gregor in the local press

1 hour ago, Bar BS3 said:

“Reported” where..?

You need to look at our old friend Gregor Greg McGregor for these reports . 

He states that  NE is unlikely to sign the contract , that’s been on the table for a while now , due to interest from bigger clubs , Lazio and Burnley have been named.

Eliasson will probably sign if a) City get promoted or b) hell freezes over . 

‘Bristol City losing the battle to retain Niclas Eliasson long term as Lazio and Celtic wait

Sources: Robins to lose star winger in the summer unless promoted.

• BY GREGOR MACGREGOR
  • 06:00, 10 FEB 2020UPDATED19:29, 9 FEB 2020

2 hours ago, redapple said:

Our own manager I can tell you is very highly rated and respected by the players , which doesn’t make him a good manager, but gives him one less problem and makes getting players buying into ideas easier.

How do you know that?

In that case why do we sometimes put out teams that just don't seem to get it?

2 minutes ago, Drew Peacock said:

How do you know that?

In that case why do we sometimes put out teams that just don't seem to get it?

I’ve been privileged to take a lot of the players while Ubering in the last 4 years. Initially I would be polite and just ask neutral questions but more recently I take the plunge and ask the sort of questions fans want to ask. There are previous threads.  

29 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

He states that  NE is unlikely to sign the contract , that’s been on the table for a while now , due to interest from bigger clubs , Lazio and Burnley have been named.

‘Bristol City losing the battle to retain Niclas Eliasson long term as Lazio and Celtic wait

• BY GREGOR MACGREGOR

What McGregor and the current Celtic manager don't understand is that Eliasson was on trial with Celtic at the age of 16.

He liked Ajax (amongst others) far better.

8 minutes ago, redapple said:

I’ve been privileged to take a lot of the players while Ubering in the last 4 years. Initially I would be polite and just ask neutral questions but more recently I take the plunge and ask the sort of questions fans want to ask. There are previous threads.  

With all due respect, do you really think a player would do anything except toe the party line when talking to a fan? They are more wary now than ever about getting caught out and having anything controversial made widely available and public easily and quickly. Slagging off the head-coach to a complete stranger would obviously not be beneficial to them in any way whatsoever - I’d take your chats with the chaps with a pinch of salt if I were you ... 

1 hour ago, Major Isewater said:

These lads are living the dream and earning decent money. They must live in fear however, that an injury, a loss of form might end all that. If they can double or triple their money/length of contract then it gives huge security. 
Hopefully most players also have ambition with their careers and want to test themselves against the best and experience playing in the best stadiums. 

Its up to the managers to tap into the players fears and motivations. The gains are only short-term these days but they can benefit both parties. 

4 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

With all due respect, do you really think a player would do anything except toe the party line when talking to a fan? They are more wary now than ever about getting caught out and having anything controversial made widely available and public easily and quickly. Slagging off the head-coach to a complete stranger would obviously not be beneficial to them in any way whatsoever - I’d take your chats with the chaps with a pinch of salt if I were you ... 

I get what you saying, I’m not stupid. A few of the players most noticeably Nathan Baker, are very polite but guarded. Hence you can tell when some of the other lads are talking freely and openly and not toeing the line. 

• Admin
1 hour ago, redapple said:

I get what you saying, I’m not stupid. A few of the players most noticeably Nathan Baker, are very polite but guarded. Hence you can tell when some of the other lads are talking freely and openly and not toeing the line. 

I'm curious how out of all the drivers in Bristol how you consistently get to pick up a variety of our players on a regular basis? 

I'm pretty confident that in all the years using Uber I've never had the same driver 

8 minutes ago, phantom said:

I'm curious how out of all the drivers in Bristol how you consistently get to pick up a variety of our players on a regular basis? 

I'm pretty confident that in all the years using Uber I've never had the same driver 

I’m North Somerset licenced and based and do school runs that end in Long Ashton and Failand. Hence when I log on for Uber I’m the closest car to the training ground. 
I have picked up several Rovers players & staff when they used to train at Cribbs , and quite a few Bears. Ashton Gate is also a good place to wait for work with all the conferences they have there. I picked up a chap from Guernsey who was a consultant for Bristol Sport from there . He was moaning about how slow Bristol City Council are in replying to queries regarding the planned new development. He’s never known a place with so many people off sick. 

5 hours ago, Clutton Caveman said:

Never been more lucrative either and i'm sure cliques in the dressing room got managers sacked back in the 60s and 70s.

Even with relatively small wages, players 40 plus years ago were still much better paid than the average person so were equally happy to sit on the bench.

Chris Wilder has delivered success for players generally considered average, who couldn't realistically expect to be playing at that level so everyone is happy even the fringe ones and Wilder has had a run of success for a few years now. If it all went tits up you can bet things would change just like it did at Leicester when they got Ranieri the sack.

6 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

“Reported” where..?

5 hours ago, phantom said:

Certainly not what has been said by either LJ or Gregor in the local press

5 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

• BY GREGOR MACGREGOR

5 hours ago, bristolcitysweden said:

What McGregor and the current Celtic manager don't understand is that Eliasson was on trial with Celtic at the age of 16.

He liked Ajax (amongst others) far better.

5 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Niclas Eliasson's agent outlines Bristol City's transfer stance amid Celtic and Lazio links. Niclas Eliasson's agent has said that a move for his player in January could be 'difficult' for the likes of Celtic and Lazio, but admits he could leave Ashton Gate in the summer. 27 Jan 2020

51 minutes ago, Seneca the Younger said:

Niclas Eliasson's agent outlines Bristol City's transfer stance amid Celtic and Lazio links. Niclas Eliasson's agent has said that a move for his player in January could be 'difficult' for the likes of Celtic and Lazio, but admits he could leave Ashton Gate in the summer. 27 Jan 2020

Not sure why you quoted me Chief, I didn’t even mention Eliasson and my post wasn’t about him either?!

5 hours ago, redapple said:

Fair enough, although I still disagree. I spent a lot of time during my (very long!) career coaching people how to communicate externally with a whole range of different stakeholders (the media, the public, politicians, tv presenters, customers, etc etc) in a whole range of different situations to ensure consistent messaging was always imparted and corporate stances were always acknowledged.

It’s very important in this day and age for obvious reasons and I reckon footballers are made aware of the same sort of stuff. I really don’t think they’d open up to a taxi driver and slag off senior members of the club, even if they wanted to. But happy to take your views on board redapple and respect your opinion mate .... cheers

36 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Fair enough, although I still disagree. I spent a lot of time during my (very long!) career coaching people how to communicate externally with a whole range of different stakeholders (the media, the public, politicians, tv presenters, customers, etc etc) in a whole range of different situations to ensure consistent messaging was always imparted and corporate stances were always acknowledged.

It’s very important in this day and age for obvious reasons and I reckon footballers are made aware of the same sort of stuff. I really don’t think they’d open up to a taxi driver and slag off senior members of the club, even if they wanted to. But happy to take your views on board redapple and respect your opinion mate .... cheers

I’m in agreement with most if not all of your comments, but my only point was that a lot of the players have spoken freely about their respect for LJ. They’ve commented on his huge enthusiasm and knowledge of the game. I might currently be only a ‘taxi’ driver but believe me I know enough about human beings to know when there telling the truth. 
I never felt comfortable revealing tit bits on this forum and didn’t for 4 years. But reading some of the nasty stuff on here a few weeks back about LJ losing the changing room, the players laughing at him etc , I just felt it might be an insight to let people know that is clearly not the case. 
Re communications between human beings and other human beings, I’ve found that however much training people have and whether they’re  huge celebrities , local councillors or footballers they don’t always toe the corporate or sensible line when in a cab. Most of what I hear goes no further than my Mrs but she has no interest in the  goings on at Bristol City anyway ! 

Archived