IGNORED

Rail Seating

Red Army 75

3 hours ago, Natchfever said:

Rail seating is fine, but still an allocated seat which means that people still can't neccessarily get together.

Still progress, but i'd like an area of unallocated rail seats if possible at some stage as this may end up with people trying it on and getting into peoples space.

I stand where I like in S82 now, why will that change?

2 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

I stand where I like in S82 now, why will that change?

Depends how strictly the club try to enforce it.

i think as fans we wouldn’t really care, I know I don’t at present. If I get to the ground late and group of people are already where we usually stand, we just go elsewhere.

Hopefully it’ll be the same.

18 minutes ago, 054123 said:

Depends how strictly the club try to enforce it.

i think as fans we wouldn’t really care, I know I don’t at present. If I get to the ground late and group of people are already where we usually stand, we just go elsewhere.

Hopefully it’ll be the same.

8 minutes ago, Harry said:

Rail seating in Germany is still unreserved. 
The only reason to make people sit in an allocated seat would be because SAG would insist on it and they’re a bunch of sour unts. 

The amount of effort required to enforce it would be beyond the stewards I believe, if fans just decide to stand where they like and everyone plays along, they would be none the wiser.

I thought that rail seating would increase the capacity due to 27 seats in the row would allow 42 to stand @Blagdon red correct me if I wrong?

This current proposal will change nothing regarding the Atmosphere. I would want to transfer my season ticket to the area but it’s just not big enough. 

I think the club should survey the season ticket holders to understand who would want to move the the safe-standing area. This would then ensure it’s large enough this then I think improve the Atmosphere.  

15 minutes ago, redsapper said:

I thought that rail seating would increase the capacity due to 27 seats in the row would allow 42 to stand @Blagdon red correct me if I wrong?

This current proposal will change nothing regarding the Atmosphere. I would want to transfer my season ticket to the area but it’s just not big enough. 

I think the club should survey the season ticket holders to understand who would want to move the the safe-standing area. This would then ensure it’s large enough this then I think improve the Atmosphere.  

That would have been a great idea, but I just get the impression the club are not really onboard with trying to improve the atmosphere,. Hope it happens in the longer term though and they convert the atyeo to all standing. 

As above, Id love to transfer my seat, but fear its gonna be on a first come first served basis with little extra available after S82 have taken up there renewals.

30 minutes ago, redsapper said:

Until the rules change “rail seating” is there to enhance safety. It is 1 seat 1 person. More would only be allowed were standing to be authorised AND the floor area in front of the seat being wide enough to accommodate more than 1.

• SC&T Board Members
34 minutes ago, redsapper said:

At present clubs cannot increase capacity through fitting rail seats. However, there is scope in the safety regulations for this to be done in the future if and when the legislation permits it. To futureproof an area in order to be able to take advantage of that opportunity a club needs to ensure maximum space along the seating rows, as a further requirement will be an additional step to enable some fans on each row to stand in an elevated position behind others.

Whether City's plans will make provision for this future potential remains to be seen.

Mark Ashton:

"“With details of Season Cards renewals to be published imminently and, as a result of our proposed plans for rail seating, we would kindly ask you to select specific seats when purchasing your Season Card to ensure you can be with friends and family."

This will be impossible as people will just renew their current seats. 

8 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

@redsapper

Maybe it's all the SAG would allow at this stage? I have a fear that these safe standing areas, at least in these early days, will not be especially big!

@054123 @Harry @Port Said Red

May need to be a case of that but playing the game a bit if the SAG/Licensing Authority show up on a given day.

I suppose I would at least find out where the seat I bought actually is. I have no idea currently, I just picked an area I liked and stood there. :) There's a good group around me that I have come to know too, surely one of the great things about going to football. In the old terrace days, if you didn't like the opinions of the people around you, you found another area to stand, The one thing I hated about my time in a "set seat" particularly during the Atyeo period was being stuck behind someone who would drive me mad most games.

Hopefully everyone in that section decides to go where they want anyway. 

I've always wanted rail seating to be implemented at the gate, but not at a cost to the area being unreserved. 

The moves from the Eastend - Williams - Atyeo - South Stand, all have been unreserved the entire time. I hope the club don't decide to enforce this. 

3 minutes ago, CyderInACan said:

I’m a bit worried that if I stand at the rugby it’s further to stretch down for my 2-pinter.  Can the club install cup holders of varying sizes for, say, Bovril, Fanta, 1-pint and 2-pint drinks. Cheers. 

Love it. Here in OZ they have a receptacle to accomodate a stubby holder. A stubby holder can hold a 375mm glass stubby bottle or a 375mm can. Not sure why you would want to drink Bovril of all things ? When watching football. 

2 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

I suppose I would at least find out where the seat I bought actually is. I have no idea currently, I just picked an area I liked and stood there. :) There's a good group around me that I have come to know too, surely one of the great things about going to football. In the old terrace days, if you didn't like the opinions of the people around you, you found another area to stand, The one thing I hated about my time in a "set seat" particularly during the Atyeo period was being stuck behind someone who would drive me mad most games.

I wasn’t that bad was I? ?

42 minutes ago, Carey 6 said:

Hopefully everyone in that section decides to go where they want anyway. 

I've always wanted rail seating to be implemented at the gate, but not at a cost to the area being unreserved. 

The moves from the Eastend - Williams - Atyeo - South Stand, all have been unreserved the entire time. I hope the club don't decide to enforce this. 

They're not fitting rail  seating -  just a rail in front of the existing seat

Shrewsbury have never had to comply with the all seater policy, hence why they could install a standing area. The seats are NEVER locked down, they are free to tip like an ordinary seat, but in Germany for instance they can be locked UP out of the way to stop them being stood on and broken.

As far as I understand it, rail seating is a 'workaround' to allow people to stand during games within the law to some extent. Even though the club are required to issue reminders/warnings for persistent standing (not that they will). It's a bit of a compromise within the law.

I think that's the reason why it doesn't (or can't) increase capacity at this stage. It isn't technically standing, you are still allocated a seat. It is just providing facilities if it just so happens that people end up standing in these areas and the club will happen to turn a blind eye to it. I think that's correct at least.

2 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

I was going to add that you would probably remember who I am referring to. I always remember that it was my daughter that came closest to actually strangling the guy. :) 

And he usually started the slating when the game was only about 30 seconds old! ?

• SC&T Board Members
1 hour ago, Barkhamred said:

Shrewsbury have never had to comply with the all seater policy, hence why they could install a standing area. The seats are NEVER locked down, they are free to tip like an ordinary seat, but in Germany for instance they can be locked UP out of the way to stop them being stood on and broken.

In fact, because Shrewsbury aren't covered by the all-seater policy, they are allowed to have the metal style of rail seat and leave those seats locked up at all times to maximise space for the standing fans.

On the row immediately in front of their standing section (which is 6 or so rows at the back of a stand) they use a style of rail seat with a normal tip-up seat, as that row is then the first row of the seated area, but the fans standing on the row behind it still need the rail for their safety. See pics below:

Front row looking left.JPG

Front 3 rows.JPG

4 minutes ago, matalan12 said:

Nope, not a bit more. exactly the same as it is now.

they should of planned for this right from the start, using the singing section as something to be proud of, bang in the middle behind the goal. instead of being shoved in the corner, being seen as more of an inconvenience

Surely it's a small increase because of the 10% reduction to capacity in unreserved areas- a number that will now be available as the Safe Standing/Rail Seating will be reserved, or designated as such?

5 minutes ago, matalan12 said:

Nope, not a bit more. exactly the same as it is now.

they should of planned for this right from the start, using the singing section as something to be proud of, bang in the middle behind the goal. instead of being shoved in the corner, being seen as more of an inconvenience

How would that work ?

People sitting to the sides wouldn't be able to see parts of the pitch..

3 minutes ago, matalan12 said:

I mean right from the start, from the very beginning. They should have incorporated rails into the entire South Stand from the very beginning and said right, if you want to stand go here.

If Wolves can have a South Bank, and Spurs can have an end nearly as big as Ashton Gate itself, I honestly feel there are enough people wanting to stand behind the goal given the opportunity.

I've been in the "singing section" since the Wedlock stand, then the Williams, then both sides of the Atyeo, then back into the corner where we are now. But i wouldnt consider myself part of "Section 82". its caused too much division within the fanbase.

If they did that I think they'd have a half empty stand.

• SC&T Board Members
5 minutes ago, matalan12 said:

OK yes so how many people that are allowed in those blocks will increase. but as far as the area being extended further across the South Stand, this won't happen or at least not for now. which is what i was hoping for.

I mean right from the start, from the very beginning. They should have incorporated rails into the entire South Stand from the very beginning and said right, if you want to stand go here.

If Wolves can have a South Bank, and Spurs can have an end nearly as big as Ashton Gate itself, I honestly feel there are enough people wanting to stand behind the goal given the opportunity.

I've been in the "singing section" since the Wedlock stand, then the Williams, then both sides of the Atyeo, then back into the corner where we are now. But i wouldnt consider myself part of "Section 82". its caused too much division within the fanbase.

It was a timing issue. When the South Stand was built, seats with rails were not permitted. By last spring/summer, when Spurs and Wolves did their installations, they were.

AGL tried hard - with my help - to get consent to put rail seats into the South Stand from day one (and that would have been across the full width at the back), but the government at that time simply would not allow it.

35 minutes ago, Blagdon red said:

In fact, because Shrewsbury aren't covered by the all-seater policy, they are allowed to have the metal style of rail seat and leave those seats locked up at all times to maximise space for the standing fans.

On the row immediately in front of their standing section (which is 6 or so rows at the back of a stand) they use a style of rail seat with a normal tip-up seat, as that row is then the first row of the seated area, but the fans standing on the row behind it still need the rail for their safety. See pics below:

Front row looking left.JPG

Front 3 rows.JPG

In the second picture doesn't the independent rail at the front encroach into the space needed for standing / passing by to ones seat (sorry space!)? It can be a tight fit at the moment if someone with a larger frame wishes to pass by.

Archived