IGNORED

Rail Seating

Red Army 75

14 hours ago, The Wild Bunch said:

Long term it would be great to stick the away fans in the upper Lansdown and make the Atyeo home fans only with rail seating.  

How much in the way of rail seating will clubs be allowed- talking % of capacity/stand etc?

15 hours ago, phantom said:

Sitting in E34 they made a racket the majority of the game, only heard one or two songs from us all game

Don't think sound travels all that well between different parts of the ground- used to blame it on Acoustics but maybe it's just the case at all grounds.

I was towards the other end of the Dolman and didn't hear an awful lot from Blackpool. That's not to say they weren't noisy of course, I'm sure they were but I do recall reading a post on here on first game in redeveloped ground, 2015/16- a Brentford fan either wrote on here or elsewhere they could see the Singing Section singing and making noise but couldn't hear them very well.

We could stick the away fans wherever we want and people would say that's where we should be, I remember the Atyeo being accused of being the worst place in the ground for acoustics when home fans were in there because the atmosphere was dull. 

We're just not that up for it unless we are massive underdogs or playing local rivals. 

4 minutes ago, Pezo said:

We could stick the away fans wherever we want and people would say that's where we should be, I remember the Atyeo being accused of being the worst place in the ground for acoustics when home fans were in there because the atmosphere was dull. 

We're just not that up for it unless we are massive underdogs or playing local rivals. 

Perfectly put, totally agree, it's not the stadium it's the people in it.

3 hours ago, HitchinRed said:

Another step closer to becoming a reality.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-58357046

Anyone know if we have been “invited to register an interest to be part of the trial in the coming months”?

Wouldn’t surprise me if we are-the ground has been redeveloped to fit rail seating I think? 

Given we already have the Rail Seating in the South Stand- skimread the article- it feels like great news btw.

Does this mean potential expansion of said standing areas if all goes well? Or would it be more like a real small one, % kinda like what we have now.

Clearly focused on home areas but getting away fans to sit will always be an uphill battle at whichever ground with many sides, maybe all- from the article.

Labour MP Alex Norris, who is the vice-chair of the All Parliamentary Group for Football Supporters, backs safe standing but believes it should not be confined to the home team's seating areas.

He added: "I've never sat down at an away ground. This alone won't solve the problem."

Back on the home areas bit, wonder how large they might be, as a % of a stand/capacity if all goes well.

Bear in mind that City have installed rails with the current seating rather than rail seating.

The standing space in each row is less in this instance and if I understand correctly may not be compliant with the proposed regs for the current number of standing fans. 

To expand the standing area they may need to replace the current seats with rail seats to keep the same capacity.

Also is there going to be a requirement that away fans must also have the option of rail seating if they are provided for home fans?

On 10/08/2021 at 08:10, CiderJar said:

In my view, until we get rid of the idea that there needs to be a defined singing "section" we are never going to generate a good atmosphere, the whole ground should be singing.

Exactly

Also we need to make the whole stand behind the goal as unreserved, for example at Cardiff I had to go in the home end and was by the half way line but could here Cardiff’s whole stand of people chanting much louder than ours which was in the away corner .

when you think about it that situation is exactly like at Ashton gate but with home and away fans reversed . All the teams I can think of with decent atmospheres are teams which have home fans stood behind the goal 

14 hours ago, HitchinRed said:

Another step closer to becoming a reality.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-58357046

Anyone know if we have been “invited to register an interest to be part of the trial in the coming months”?

Getting there it has taken far far too long.

Fans have never stopped standing at games.

1 hour ago, Wiltshire robin said:

Exactly

Also we need to make the whole stand behind the goal as unreserved, for example at Cardiff I had to go in the home end and was by the half way line but could here Cardiff’s whole stand of people chanting much louder than ours which was in the away corner .

when you think about it that situation is exactly like at Ashton gate but with home and away fans reversed . All the teams I can think of with decent atmospheres are teams which have home fans stood behind the goal 

Isn't there some kinda capacity reduction baked in when it comes to unreserved seating? Can't remember as was a while since discussed on here but I'm sure that's been the case before. Home fans behind the goal and standing is a no brainer I do agree.

1 hour ago, rednotblue said:

Getting there it has taken far far too long.

Fans have never stopped standing at games.

Agreed.

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Isn't there some kinda capacity reduction baked in when it comes to unreserved seating? Can't remember as was a while since discussed on here but I'm sure that's been the case before. Home fans behind the goal and standing is a no brainer I do agree.

Agreed.

Yeh I believe your right , 90% of other championship clubs can manage it I don’t see why we can’t . 

something needs to be done about it speaking to opposition fans and nuetral friends that have been to Ashton gate they say it’s really poor compared to other clubs in terms of home fan atmosphere. All of them said they can’t here section 82 from the away end 

14 hours ago, Wiltshire robin said:

Exactly

Yes. And the way to do that is not to politely ask the club if it is okay. Just do it.

3 minutes ago, CiderJar said:

Yes. And the way to do that is not to politely ask the club if it is okay. Just do it.

I get what your saying but it’s never gonna happen, stewards tried to kick me out for standing in the back row of the dolman even though there was nothing behind me 

clubs become a bit of a joke atmosphere wise

11 hours ago, Wiltshire robin said:

Yeh I believe your right , 90% of other championship clubs can manage it I don’t see why we can’t . 

something needs to be done about it speaking to opposition fans and nuetral friends that have been to Ashton gate they say it’s really poor compared to other clubs in terms of home fan atmosphere. All of them said they can’t here section 82 from the away end 

Sound travels badly in the ground generally IMO, especially post the East End going what with its low roof and good acoustics. I remember in 2015, either on here or another forum, v Brentford first game back post redevelopment Brentford fans said they could see us clearly singing but couldn't hear much. Possibly even across the Atyeo IIRC!

Agreed. Even Reading had it, that was my first away game in while, and thought atmosphere wise it had the right idea. Away fans just across from their noisier fans (well noisy by their standards), same stand. 

11 minutes ago, CiderJar said:

From what I've read elsewhere, Leeds under Bates had a similar issue. However the Club and Council gave up after some time of getting nowhere.

Think Wolves had a similar issue but pretty sure pre Covid anyway, whenever I saw Leeds on TV, decent chunks of their ground were 'guilty' of persistent standing. Plymouth have/had similar issues I believe.

8 minutes ago, Wiltshire robin said:

I get what your saying but it’s never gonna happen, stewards tried to kick me out for standing in the back row of the dolman even though there was nothing behind me 

That might well be down to the local Licensing Authority in part, the dreaded SAG- all clubs etc have one, but standing up the back feels less than problematic to me.

38 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Sound travels badly in the ground generally IMO, especially post the East End going what with its low roof and good acoustics. I remember in 2015, either on here or another forum, v Brentford first game back post redevelopment Brentford fans said they could see us clearly singing but couldn't hear much. Possibly even across the Atyeo IIRC!

It must be down to fans being shoved in the corner . When I get a ticket in the Dolman right next to section 82 I can hear the away fans clearly in the atyeo . The problem when our fans were in the atyeo is again they were only put in the corner of the stand in a low percentage whilst away fans had the bigger section of it

Never understood why away fans are allowed directly behind the goal at Ashton gate. Particularly when the home fan singing section is not behind a goal. Gives up part of the home advantage when the away fans are allowed to be so prominent. Fair enough if they sell out the Atyeo but if it is only partly sold can they not be located at one end of the stand? At other grounds it is the away fans who are usually tucked away in an inconspicuous corner, not the home fans.

• SC&T Board Members
23 hours ago, Barkhamred said:

Bear in mind that City have installed rails with the current seating rather than rail seating.

The standing space in each row is less in this instance and if I understand correctly may not be compliant with the proposed regs for the current number of standing fans. 

To expand the standing area they may need to replace the current seats with rail seats to keep the same capacity.

Also is there going to be a requirement that away fans must also have the option of rail seating if they are provided for home fans?

Yes, there is going to be a requirement for away fans to have a safe standing option, so City will need to do something in the Atyeo as soon as the rules change and the Section 82 corner starts to be operated as an official standing area.

There is indeed also a risk for City and several other clubs of having their capacity cut, as new rules for safe standing are going to have very strict requirements on space, failure to provide which will result in capacity being cut. It's all to do with making sure that fans don't spill out into aisles, which is considered an absolute safety no-no.

All the details are here (see in particular sections 2.3e and f of the document called 'Supplementary Guidance 01'.

1 hour ago, Redland said:

Never understood why away fans are allowed directly behind the goal at Ashton gate. Particularly when the home fan singing section is not behind a goal. Gives up part of the home advantage when the away fans are allowed to be so prominent. Fair enough if they sell out the Atyeo but if it is only partly sold can they not be located at one end of the stand? At other grounds it is the away fans who are usually tucked away in an inconspicuous corner, not the home fans.

Exactly. It's fairly unusual for away fans to get an entire end behind a goal. It's a marginal gain that we're just throwing away. The Atyeo should be home fans only in my opinion with away fans tucked in the near corner of the Dolman or the Lansdown. A huge oversight when redesigning AG. 

8 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Exactly. It's fairly unusual for away fans to get an entire end behind a goal. It's a marginal gain that we're just throwing away. The Atyeo should be home fans only in my opinion with away fans tucked in the near corner of the Dolman or the Lansdown. A huge oversight when redesigning AG. 

But away fans would then be mixing with ours in the concourse.

2 hours ago, Wiltshire robin said:

It must be down to fans being shoved in the corner . When I get a ticket in the Dolman right next to section 82 I can hear the away fans clearly in the atyeo . The problem when our fans were in the atyeo is again they were only put in the corner of the stand in a low percentage whilst away fans had the bigger section of it

I'll keep an eye out for that next time- pretty sure sound doesn't travel that well in the Ground these days but we'll agree to disagree- didn't hear the Blackpool fans that much e.g.

33 minutes ago, Blagdon red said:

Yes, there is going to be a requirement for away fans to have a safe standing option, so City will need to do something in the Atyeo as soon as the rules change and the Section 82 corner starts to be operated as an official standing area.

There is indeed also a risk for City and several other clubs of having their capacity cut, as new rules for safe standing are going to have very strict requirements on space, failure to provide which will result in capacity being cut. It's all to do with making sure that fans don't spill out into aisles, which is considered an absolute safety no-no.

All the details are here (see in particular sections 2.3e and f of the document called 'Supplementary Guidance 01'.

Good find! Read the first 2 snippets, saving the 31 page one for later.

What is your thinking though, on how it may play out in the following scenario- ie Designated Safe Standing etc vs standing in non-designated areas albeit non problematic ones- for example the back rows of the Dolman and South Stand? Fans like to stand up the back, have for some time...but will that become more strictly policed in exchange for s82 becoming a Safe Standing bit?

4 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

They could have accounted for that in the design and divided it. They didn't and it's probably too late to do anything about it now. 

Yes, I agree with you. A solution needs to be found pronto as I really do think we need our own fans behind both goals. The rail seating could then be implemented for our fans in the centre of the Atyeo. Can't really be done in South Stand behind the goal as current season card holders would be either forced to stand or move elsewhere. Bit of a mess really.

• SC&T Board Members
1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Good find! Read the first 2 snippets, saving the 31 page one for later.

What is your thinking though, on how it may play out in the following scenario- ie Designated Safe Standing etc vs standing in non-designated areas albeit non problematic ones- for example the back rows of the Dolman and South Stand? Fans like to stand up the back, have for some time...but will that become more strictly policed in exchange for s82 becoming a Safe Standing bit?

I think that once grounds have official standing areas, standing elsewhere will be very much clamped down on.

To avoid 'customer care' issues going forward, however, it will be imperative that clubs provide a sufficient amount of safe standing capacity to satisfy demand. Otherwise there will still be fans who want to stand ending up, through no fault of their own, in areas intended to be operated as seating.

5 hours ago, Wiltshire robin said:

I wasn't necessarily talking about standing.  If we believe that atmosphere is created by being behind a goal them the people behind the goal need to create the atmosphere. Why do we need permission to be a singing section? Just do it*

*this post is brought to you by the letters  C, A and F and your sponsor Nike.

1 hour ago, CiderJar said:

I wasn't necessarily talking about standing.  If we believe that atmosphere is created by being behind a goal them the people behind the goal need to create the atmosphere. Why do we need permission to be a singing section? Just do it*

*this post is brought to you by the letters  C, A and F and your sponsor Nike.

Completely agree

Also would prefer it if the term singing section was never used again sounds tin pot and a bit like a boarding school choir

Archived