Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

Sign in to follow this  
Red Army 75

Rail Seating

7 minutes ago, PhilC said:

Oh please please PLEASE!

Interesting it says sections plural....

Basically it's S82 area plus a bit more.

"The club recognises that a number of supporters wish to stand at games and the dedicated rail/barrier area proposed in blocks S25, S26 and S27 aims to enhance the matchday experience, while ensuring fans’ safety is paramount at all times."

6 minutes ago, Tinmans Love Child said:

So is this all legal now then ie standing at games with rail seats, or are rail seats just going in but will be locked down until the law changes?

No seats are ever locked down.

My understanding is that the existing seats will remain, with a rail added just behind them to enhance safety should fans (as we know they all will) choose to stand.

Once the law allows, the club will then no doubt operate that area officially as a standing area.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Club published some FAQs as well:

Q.   What is rail/barrier seating?

A.    Stadiums in the top two tiers of English football have to be all-seater. Rail/barrier seating provides an exemption that enables supporters to stand in a safe environment with rails/barriers in front of their designated seat as protection against crowd surge.

Q.   What is the difference between rail and barrier seating?

A.    Rail seating describes a metal seat that can be folded upright to stand practically, flat against the row behind it. Above it there is a rail at chest height. Barrier seating offers the same safety barrier provision but using flip-up seats. Bristol City FC and Ashton Gate Stadium are currently working through the best provision to ensure the optimum matchday experience for our supporters.

Q.   Why is Ashton Gate Stadium implementing rail/barrier seating?

A.    Bristol City FC and Ashton Gate Stadium recognise that some supporters like to stand at games and have been looking at ways to facilitate this. We have therefore decided to implement rail/barrier seating in blocks of the South Stand from the 2020/21 season.

Q.   What blocks will this affect?

A.    Rail/Barrier Seating will be introduced into blocks S25, S26 and S27 of the South Stand, from the top to the bottom of the stand.

Q.   How many seats will be designated rail/barrier seating?

A.    1,174 seats will be designated rail/barrier seating.

Q.   If I am standing then why do I need a reserved seat?

A.    To comply with safety regulations, you will need a reserved seat to ensure that the correct number of supporters are in the designated rail/barrier seating blocks.

Q.   Will I have to stay in the same seat at every game?

A.    If you have purchased a Season Card in blocks S25, S26 and S27 then you will have to occupy that designated seating space.

Q.   If I am standing will I get a discount on my Season Card?

A.    To comply with safety regulations, you will need a reserved seat to ensure that the correct number of supporters are in the designated rail/barrier seating blocks. The Season Card price is fixed based on one seat per Season Card.  

Q.   Will I be able to carry on standing in non-Rail/Barrier Seating blocks?

A.    Legislation prohibits supporters standing at all-seater stadiums. Persistent standing in non-Rail/Barrier Seating blocks is highly discouraged and stewards are instructed to direct supporters to stay seated. The introduction of Rail/Barrier Seating blocks will allow supporters who want to stand to do so in a safe environment.

Q.   Will there be a barrier/rail on every row?

A.    Yes, there will be a barrier/rail in front of the seats on every row in the Rail/Barrier Seating blocks.

Q.   Are flags and drums allowed in the Rail/Barrier Seating blocks?

A.    Yes, flags and drums will be permitted in the Rail/Barrier Seating blocks. 

Q.   I am a Bristol Bears Season Card holder and want to stand, can I move my seat to within these blocks.

There will be an option for Bristol Bears Season Card holders to move to these blocks. Details of Bristol Bears Season Card renewals will be issued in due course.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

Will this increase capacity and if so by how many? Anyone know?

By 10% - presumably ?  In those blocks a 10% reduction in capacity has been the case because it's unallocated seating. Now everybody has to select a seat so no need for the 10% reduction. As stated above the OS only refers to a barrier(ie a rail) and not to installing the actual rail seating.

• Like 1

Just read the article online.

I suspect it will be a tough ask, at least in the short to medium term to get it extended.

This is subject to approval from the Safety Advisory Group (SAG).

Standard but wonder how many they would hypothetically sign off on? Obviously it's likely with these, but beyond that?

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

2 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

It's a good start- well done all!

The only difference is that instead of being able to stand anywhere in those sections - you will now have to stand in your seat space (IYSWIM), you just will have a rail to lean on.

Worse if anything now .....now stand anywhere - next season stand in your allocated seat area.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, CodeRed said:

The only difference is that instead of being able to stand anywhere in those sections - you will now have to stand in your seat space (IYSWIM), you just will have a rail to lean on.

Worse if anything now .....now stand anywhere - next season stand in your allocated seat area.

True, the end of unreserved seating in that area- means it can be extended to full capacity though I suppose, but hopefully 1,174 is towards the lower end. Hopefully it won't be a limit of 1,174 and then attempt to enforce all seater everywhere else (thinking back rows of Dolman and South especially).

How strongly would it actually be enforced in practice though...except when officials from SAG etc down? ;)

Rail seating is fine, but still an allocated seat which means that people still can't neccessarily get together.

Still progress, but i'd like an area of unallocated rail seats if possible at some stage as this may end up with people trying it on and getting into peoples space.

• Like 3

Sounds like a real positive, however when I was a nipper, you would negotiate your place on the terrace so that you were able to see, usually by standing in front of a tall person, rather than behind. 

I wonder how this will work on a fixed seat basis?

13 minutes ago, CodeRed said:

No, the difference is that you will have an allocated seat/space on your ticket. That is all. I seriously doubt that it will be enforced that you have to stand in your specific space.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, elhombrecito said:

No, the difference is that you will have an allocated seat/space on your ticket. That is all. I seriously doubt that it will be enforced that you have to stand in your specific space.

Yeah, I'd have thought light touch approach might be possible- some days where seniors from the SAG/Licensing Authority in probably not, got to put on a show and 'play the game' so to speak, but beyond that? 

Surely even though there’s a seat number on your ticket everyone in that section will just continue to stand anywhere in that section?

The season tickets in there currently have seat numbers on but everyone ignores it, I’ve never even looked to see where it is.

Thinking back to the cup games against Manchester x2 they said the same about using your correct seat but everyone just used it as normal.

• Like 3

Really hope this doesn’t effect being able to stand where you want in the section, nothing more annoying than being in someone’s ‘seat’ because it says on their season ticket 😴.

• Like 4

Currently stand with about 10 others, getting that all booked in one block will be a nightmare, better to leave it unofficially unreserved. Can the SC&T sound out the club about this?

• Like 7

Great news in principle but I really hope they don’t enforce ‘correct seat’

I completely understand the need to control numbers, but I would rather it stay the way it is than forced be forced to sit in specific seats.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Dynamite Red said:

Currently stand with about 10 others, getting that all booked in one block will be a nightmare, better to leave it unofficially unreserved. Can the SC&T sound out the club about this?

Am hoping our resident rail seating expert @Blagdon red is having conversations with the powers that be about that. I want my 5 season tickets all in the same spot as well for example. :) 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Dollymarie said:

Am hoping our resident rail seating expert @Blagdon red is having conversations with the powers that be about that. I want my 5 season tickets all in the same spot as well for example. :) 

Same for us, at present 5 adults stand ins ‘cluster’ whilst all 10 kids make do at the front.

It’s a very City thing to do.

Almost get it right 😂

Edited by 054123
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Natchfever said:

Rail seating is fine, but still an allocated seat which means that people still can't neccessarily get together.

Still progress, but i'd like an area of unallocated rail seats if possible at some stage as this may end up with people trying it on and getting into peoples space.

I stand where I like in S82 now, why will that change?

2 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

I stand where I like in S82 now, why will that change?

Depends how strictly the club try to enforce it.

i think as fans we wouldn’t really care, I know I don’t at present. If I get to the ground late and group of people are already where we usually stand, we just go elsewhere.

Hopefully it’ll be the same.

• Like 2

Rail seating in Germany is still unreserved. 
The only reason to make people stand in an allocated seat would be because SAG would insist on it and they’re a bunch of sour unts. 

Edited by Harry
  • Like 5

18 minutes ago, 054123 said:

Depends how strictly the club try to enforce it.

i think as fans we wouldn’t really care, I know I don’t at present. If I get to the ground late and group of people are already where we usually stand, we just go elsewhere.

Hopefully it’ll be the same.

8 minutes ago, Harry said:

Rail seating in Germany is still unreserved. 
The only reason to make people sit in an allocated seat would be because SAG would insist on it and they’re a bunch of sour unts. 

The amount of effort required to enforce it would be beyond the stewards I believe, if fans just decide to stand where they like and everyone plays along, they would be none the wiser.

• Like 4

I thought that rail seating would increase the capacity due to 27 seats in the row would allow 42 to stand @Blagdon red correct me if I wrong?

This current proposal will change nothing regarding the Atmosphere. I would want to transfer my season ticket to the area but it’s just not big enough. 

I think the club should survey the season ticket holders to understand who would want to move the the safe-standing area. This would then ensure it’s large enough this then I think improve the Atmosphere.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, redsapper said:

I thought that rail seating would increase the capacity due to 27 seats in the row would allow 42 to stand @Blagdon red correct me if I wrong?

This current proposal will change nothing regarding the Atmosphere. I would want to transfer my season ticket to the area but it’s just not big enough. 

I think the club should survey the season ticket holders to understand who would want to move the the safe-standing area. This would then ensure it’s large enough this then I think improve the Atmosphere.  

That would have been a great idea, but I just get the impression the club are not really onboard with trying to improve the atmosphere,. Hope it happens in the longer term though and they convert the atyeo to all standing. 

As above, Id love to transfer my seat, but fear its gonna be on a first come first served basis with little extra available after S82 have taken up there renewals.

Edited by jaydee=inspiration

As an aside, I would've thought that part of the tradeoff unfortunately for this, as it stands will be out of necessity, stricter attempts at enforcement of all seater everywhere else in the ground.

• Sad 1

30 minutes ago, redsapper said:

Until the rules change “rail seating” is there to enhance safety. It is 1 seat 1 person. More would only be allowed were standing to be authorised AND the floor area in front of the seat being wide enough to accommodate more than 1.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, redsapper said:

At present clubs cannot increase capacity through fitting rail seats. However, there is scope in the safety regulations for this to be done in the future if and when the legislation permits it. To futureproof an area in order to be able to take advantage of that opportunity a club needs to ensure maximum space along the seating rows, as a further requirement will be an additional step to enable some fans on each row to stand in an elevated position behind others.

Whether City's plans will make provision for this future potential remains to be seen.

• Thanks 1

Mark Ashton:

"“With details of Season Cards renewals to be published imminently and, as a result of our proposed plans for rail seating, we would kindly ask you to select specific seats when purchasing your Season Card to ensure you can be with friends and family."

This will be impossible as people will just renew their current seats. 

8 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

@redsapper

Maybe it's all the SAG would allow at this stage? I have a fear that these safe standing areas, at least in these early days, will not be especially big!

@054123 @Harry @Port Said Red

May need to be a case of that but playing the game a bit if the SAG/Licensing Authority show up on a given day.

I suppose I would at least find out where the seat I bought actually is. I have no idea currently, I just picked an area I liked and stood there. :) There's a good group around me that I have come to know too, surely one of the great things about going to football. In the old terrace days, if you didn't like the opinions of the people around you, you found another area to stand, The one thing I hated about my time in a "set seat" particularly during the Atyeo period was being stuck behind someone who would drive me mad most games.

Hopefully everyone in that section decides to go where they want anyway. 

I've always wanted rail seating to be implemented at the gate, but not at a cost to the area being unreserved. 

The moves from the Eastend - Williams - Atyeo - South Stand, all have been unreserved the entire time. I hope the club don't decide to enforce this. 

I’m a bit worried that if I stand at the rugby it’s further to stretch down for my 2-pinter.  Can the club install cup holders of varying sizes for, say, Bovril, Fanta, 1-pint and 2-pint drinks. Cheers. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, CyderInACan said:

I’m a bit worried that if I stand at the rugby it’s further to stretch down for my 2-pinter.  Can the club install cup holders of varying sizes for, say, Bovril, Fanta, 1-pint and 2-pint drinks. Cheers. 

Love it. Here in OZ they have a receptacle to accomodate a stubby holder. A stubby holder can hold a 375mm glass stubby bottle or a 375mm can. Not sure why you would want to drink Bovril of all things ? When watching football. 

2 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

I suppose I would at least find out where the seat I bought actually is. I have no idea currently, I just picked an area I liked and stood there. :) There's a good group around me that I have come to know too, surely one of the great things about going to football. In the old terrace days, if you didn't like the opinions of the people around you, you found another area to stand, The one thing I hated about my time in a "set seat" particularly during the Atyeo period was being stuck behind someone who would drive me mad most games.

I wasn’t that bad was I? 😝

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, Carey 6 said:

Hopefully everyone in that section decides to go where they want anyway. 

I've always wanted rail seating to be implemented at the gate, but not at a cost to the area being unreserved. 

The moves from the Eastend - Williams - Atyeo - South Stand, all have been unreserved the entire time. I hope the club don't decide to enforce this. 

They're not fitting rail  seating -  just a rail in front of the existing seat

16 hours ago, Tinmans Love Child said:

So is this all legal now then ie standing at games with rail seats, or are rail seats just going in but will be locked down until the law changes?

Shrewsbury had it in sections at their ground

29 minutes ago, Redwhitepurple said:

Shrewsbury had it in sections at their ground

Shrewsbury are/were the guinea pig, pilot scheme I believe.

One article says it was 555, don't know if that's increased since?