IGNORED

LJ WBA Press Conference

BCFC Rich

A pretty good interview this, interesting bits about selection, Kasey and positives about the  progress for Afobe. 

Other thing to add is that I know he gets stick sometimes (probably form me too!) but MacGregor does actually do a great job, he might work for a bit of a rag but he does his research (eg. in this interview talking about wells + upcoming Bermuda friendly) bothers to look at what the fans are asking about and puts decent question to LJ and BCFC.

22 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Hang on. The team flew to Leeds and back? I get the time saving that LJ mentions must help...but wow.

He said the Sky tv money pays for it.

And if I could've flown there and back I would have - 8 hour return trip instead of an hour each way or so.

It must mean the players have an extra days training or whatever and if it isn't out of the budget, happy days.

1 minute ago, bcfc01 said:

He said the Sky tv money pays for it.

And if I could've flown there and back I would have - 8 hour return trip instead of an hour each way or so.

It must mean the players have an extra days training or whatever and if it isn't out of the budget, happy days.

Understand it. I googled and tbh hadn't appreciated the exact route that you need to take to do Bristol - Leeds. I always forget how far north Leeds is.

Thought the rest of the press conference was excellent. Almost totally devoid of the "Johnsonisms" and instead full of really good insight into LJ's day-to-day issues around managing a group of 20-30 young men. I know I often forget that these people get ill, have things happen in their private lives, and still have to go out and do their job in front of thousands of people. Not saying they are special, or work harder than your average person, but it does have an effect.

10 minutes ago, Harry said:

Some posters on here will pick something negative and run with it ?

Not trying to be negative but at the start he says we did not play with our identity but Leeds played with theirs.

Once and for all for thickish people like me - wtf does that mean in normal English?

Does that mean formation, game plan and normal style or what - I seriously don’t know so would appreciate a simple explanation!!

2 minutes ago, Meh said:

Not trying to be negative but at the start he says we did not play with our identity but Leeds played with theirs.

Once and for all for thickish people like me - wtf does that mean in normal English?

Does that mean formation, game plan and normal style or what - I seriously don’t know so would appreciate a simple explanation!!

It means they executed their game plan very well and we didn’t execute ours at all. 

4 minutes ago, Meh said:

Skip forward to about 14:30 and listen to that bit. Johnson discusses how he views "identity". It's shorthand for the plan, the style of play, and the broad tactics that we are trying to execute.

Fair play to Gregor. I’ve criticised him in the past but they were much better questions. 

The recruitment plan going for young players and selling them on is a little frustrating though. He mentioned how well we are doing considering the changes to the squad, and how the new players are adapting. 

It’s a massive cycle that potentially leads to more inconsistent performances. Just hope we carry on to build without wholesale changes again in the summer.

47 minutes ago, Harry said:

Some posters on here will pick something negative and run with it ?

OK, I'll take the 2 occasions when he said supporters aren't clever enough to understand his job as a positive then.

Not the first time he's said that, either. 

And I'd call it condescending, if not arrogant, if only I wasn't so thick. 

35 minutes ago, Meh said:

The follow up to that, from any half decent journalist, would be to ask "So why didn't we?". No chance of that.  

So i'm going to pick at a couple of things.

LJ's an NFL fan like me, so he's aware of a world where you give injury reports. You can totally talk about a sickness in the team before the game and feed that to the media team who can then highlight it. Don't complain that fans don't know when you withhold the info. You can name a team whenever you want. Considering that the teams find out what the opposition line up is an hour or so before kick off (unless you're Bielsa) teams prepare for most reasonable team sheets anyway. Or you'd like to think they do. Do you imagine that clubs are thrown into a panic because it's Wells and Diedhiou up front instead of Weimann and Diedhiou? I'd be embarrassed if we were like that with our preparation.

Even if you're desperate to hold onto that information for the minute tactical advantage it MAY give you. Once the team sheet is in, you can absolutely put out an injury report alongside team news top let fans know what's going on. Or you can accept that fans don't know what's going on. You don't get to with hold info then whinge about it

This is Brian Flores, head coach of the Dolphins (my team) it's early October, we're 0-4 and HISTORICALLY bad at this point in the season. Just listen to the personal accountability he takes on the question at 3.10. We never hear stuff like that from LJ. It's always the finger pointing. It's always the players don't do enough. I really don't like that in him. Sure the players need to execute, sure they need to self coach on the pitch, but you need to do a better job preparing them to play and coaching them to self coach and stop buying players who "hide". If you won't come out and take personal responsibility more, then how can you expect the players to?

Basically release an injury report alongside the team news, and take personal responsibility after every loss whether or not it is your fault.

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Just tweeted that this might be LJ’s best interview yet.

Worth finding 20 minutes to watch / listen.

Never been his biggest fan, but that was an eye opener. As much as I dislike his approach to home games  ( Jose tonight ?)

To lose 4 of your starters has to be pants.  Let's hope he has what he wants  available Saturday, and they go out with the belief.

28 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

OK, I'll take the 2 occasions when he said supporters aren't clever enough to understand his job as a positive then.

The follow up to that, from any half decent journalist, would be to ask "So why didn't we?". No chance of that.  

That’s not a patronising remark - it’s a factual remark. 

LJ explained that the team he’d selected for Leeds didn’t actually happen because of illness and injury that happened pretty much at the last minute - did you know any of that?

Fair play to LJ for explaining that - he didn’t need to. 

In terms of his ability as a head coach, I remain neutral but his communication skills are excellent. He’s more honest and open than many managers at Championship level and that’s a quality I really admire.

Umm. Anyone else still have no idea what our identity is?

Maybe I missed that in Episode1. Can someone enlighten me? 

So, using LJs logic, Andi and Fam should now be an cohesive attacking unit given the amount of time they’ve been ‘paired’ as an attacking force? That, as opposed to a couple of players who look like they’ve just be introduced, not just on different wavelengths but different radios? 

56 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

He didn’t say fans weren’t clever enough to understand his job. You’ve misquoted  him 

1 hour ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Did he literally say that supporters aren't clever enough to understand ?

13 minutes ago, RedRock said:

Umm. Anyone else still have no idea what our identity is?

Maybe I missed that in Episode1. Can someone enlighten me? 

So, using LJs logic, Andi and Fam should now be an cohesive attacking unit given the amount of time they’ve been ‘paired’ as an attacking force? That, as opposed to a couple of players who look like they’ve just be introduced, not just on different wavelengths but different radios? 

Quite clear to see our identity.  Hit teams on the break, try to create high quality chances (no long shots), create overloads, allow crosses into our box rather than dive into challenging winger which would allow a higher quality chance, throw bodies at shots. 

1 minute ago, bcfc01 said:

Did he literally say that supporters aren't clever enough to understand ?

No 

4 minutes ago, RedDave said:

Quite clear to see our identity.  Hit teams on the break, try to create high quality chances (no long shots), create overloads, allow crosses into our box rather than dive into challenging winger which would allow a higher quality chance, throw bodies at shots. 

Hmmm.......if you know what our ‘identity’ is then you more than most of Gunga Din......

Not even LJ knows what our actually ‘identity’ is...........to me it’s term of lots of made up hot air.

4 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Hmmm.......if you know what our ‘identity’ is then you more than most of Gunga Din......

Not even LJ knows what our actually ‘identity’ is...........to me it’s term of lots of made up hot air.

It’s not hard to see RR. We play pretty much the same way every game. Or at least try too. Pretty sure LJ knows as well. It is his job.

15 minutes ago, RedDave said:

No 

Well, you may be right but virtually word for word, I think Glen Hoddle’s take on Tottenham at the moment (BT Sport post match)  applies to us.... we look like a team that’s just hoping, hoping we get a lucky break. There’s no triangles, groups of three working together to create movement, passing..... no patterns, no identity, nothing. 

So LJ has always tried to emulate Jose... he seems to have achieved it. 

It’s shit to watch mind.

1 minute ago, RedDave said:

It’s not hard to see RR. We play pretty much the same way every game. Or at least try too. Pretty sure LJ knows as well. It is his job.

Well......when asked directly at Senior Reds what our ‘identity’ is, he couldn’t really answer and waffled on a bit but said absolutely nothing................

Lots of hot air tho.............:cool2:

11 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Not as directly as that but he did say “unless you have a Pro 2 license”  which of course is spot on. Do have you one?

No.

And neither could I be arsed to get one as I don't need it.

Whats that got to do with it anyway ? I was asking if he literally said what was implied as I couldn't remember him saying it.

Archived