Jump to content

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

LJ WBA Press Conference


Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Just hope as many players as possible are fit for Saturday.

Henriksen interview impressive too.

May I ask where the Henrikseni interview is?............I cannot seem to find it?      PS. Just found it on Youtube!!  🙃🙃,...........What an intellingent, personable guy, and very articulate.

Edited by maxjak
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

OK, I'll take the 2 occasions when he said supporters aren't clever enough to understand his job as a positive then.

Not the first time he's said that, either. 

And I'd call it condescending, if not arrogant, if only I wasn't so thick. 

   The follow up to that, from any half decent journalist, would be to ask "So why didn't we?". No chance of that.  

I really didn’t take it as condescending.  He mentions the pro license at 15m39s in, but I think there’s been a build up to this point from 11m00s in (re us not knowing about change in team selection).

I think if you read otib / twitter at 14:01 on Saturday, you will see some amazing knee-jerk reactions to the line-up.  Bollocks like “undroppable Weimann back in”, “what the eff as Diedhiou done to be dropped”, etc.  If otib / twitter is a representation of your average City fan (let’s not enter that debate here 😂), then He’s justified in suggesting they don’t understand “the game”, because they’d know if they wait 30-40 minutes some of those team selections are made clear from the pre-match team selection interview....they’d know not to jump the gun.  “Can’t believe he’s picked Massengo”, “he’s dropped Smith” (when the bloke came off injured on the Wednesday night). And until you see the team execute (or not as the case was Saturday) on the pitch, we are all guessing what the plan is.

How many times do we see the eleven at 14:00, and by 14:05 we’ve posted 15 different permutations of formation, some sensible, some beggars belief.

17 minutes ago, maxjak said:

May I ask where the Henrikseni interview is?............I cannot seem to find it?

YouTube.

  • Like 9
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, BCFC Richard said:

A pretty good interview this, interesting bits about selection, Kasey and positives about the  progress for Afobe. 

Other thing to add is that I know he gets stick sometimes (probably form me too!) but MacGregor does actually do a great job, he might work for a bit of a rag but he does his research (eg. in this interview talking about wells + upcoming Bermuda friendly) bothers to look at what the fans are asking about and puts decent question to LJ and BCFC.

We didn't show enough of our identity??

You mean we have one to show??

We need to do more in showing our identity...need to find the fecker first 😂

Bullshitter par excellence'

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Robbored said:

That’s not a patronising remark - it’s a factual remark. 

LJ explained that the team he’d selected for Leeds didn’t actually happen because of illness and injury that happened pretty much at the last minute - did you know any of that?

Fair play to LJ for explaining that - he didn’t need to. 

In terms of his ability as a head coach, I remain neutral but his communication skills are excellent. He’s more honest and open than many managers at Championship level and that’s a quality I really admire.

 

Are you Lee's dad?? 😎

  • Aubergine 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Robert the bruce said:

We didn't show enough of our identity??

You mean we have one to show??

We need to do more in showing our identity...need to find the fecker first 😂

Bullshitter par excellence'

Why does everyone pretend we don’t have an identity to score points against LJ? An identity doesn’t just mean free flowing attacking football. Read above. Identity explained. 

  • Like 1
  • Hmmm 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

We often hear fans say that LJ is too soft. Henriksen says LJ has no problem telling you directly to your face when he's not happy. I think he is far more 'aggressive' in his approach when things aren't going to plan than some think.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Quite clear to see our identity.  Hit teams on the break, try to create high quality chances (no long shots), create overloads, allow crosses into our box rather than dive into challenging winger which would allow a higher quality chance, throw bodies at shots. 

Our ability to hit teams on the break is virtually non existent due to a lack of quick incisive passes to forward players in space and real pace in our forward players 

Edited by redysteadygo
Inadvertantly sent before finishing post.
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, redysteadygo said:

Quite clear to see our identity.  Hit teams on the break, try to create high quality chances (no long shots), create overloads, allow crosses into our box rather than dive into challenging winger which would allow a higher quality chance, throw bodies at shots. 

Our ability to hit teams on the break is virtually non existent due to a lack of quick incisive passes to forward players in space and real pace in our forward players 

You don’t think we are a counter attacking team?!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Only sign of counter attack recently was the two late chances against Derby, who were committed forward chasing an equaliser, and we screwed them up.

Our main outlet of attack is for NE to cross from wide something the above writer considers to be a tactic we allow teams to do as it less likely to create a quality goal chance.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, RedDave said:

You don’t think we are a counter attacking team?

Sorry, not to good an explanation but I think we set up to play this way but we are not very good at it and don't possess the players/abilities to carry it out.

Maybe Wells can help improve this situation but we haven't seen enough of him yet.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, RedDave said:

You don’t think we are a counter attacking team?!

We are when playing away, Not so much at AG where the opposition often sit back. I can’t see the Baggies doing that tho. I imagine they’ll be at us from the ko and that means a great game of football..

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, spudski said:

We often hear fans say that LJ is too soft. Henriksen says LJ has no problem telling you directly to your face when he's not happy. I think he is far more 'aggressive' in his approach when things aren't going to plan than some think.

As you know Spudski there are a number of anti LJ posters on here who use every opportunity to slag him off - despite much of it being made up bollocks.................:rofl2br:

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Robbored said:

As you know Spudski there are a number of anti LJ posters on here who use every opportunity to slag him off - despite much of it being made up bollocks.................:rofl2br:

Tbh...I think a lot of the anti LJ stuff is down to lack of information. As LJ rightly points out, we are dealing with human beings, and fans don't have a clue what's going on in their lives. He gets slagged off for certain selections, but none of us know what's going on behind closed doors. Some of its not even sickness or injury, but where a players head at. LJ has implied that before. Players have things going on in their lives, just like us, that can effect their performance. I think some forget that when commenting. So many factors to take into consideration.

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, spudski said:

Tbh...I think a lot of the anti LJ stuff is down to lack of information. As LJ rightly points out, we are dealing with human beings, and fans don't have a clue what's going on in their lives. He gets slagged off for certain selections, but none of us know what's going on behind closed doors. Some of its not even sickness or injury, but where a players head at. LJ has implied that before. Players have things going on in their lives, just like us, that can effect their performance. I think some forget that when commenting. So many factors to take into consideration.

Sadly LJs critics don’t consider why a particular team selection is made. The reasons behind it are conveniently overlooked.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Meh said:

Not trying to be negative but at the start he says we did not play with our identity but Leeds played with theirs.

Once and for all for thickish people like me - wtf does that mean in normal English?

Does that mean formation, game plan and normal style or what - I seriously don’t know so would appreciate a simple explanation!!

People love to accuse LJ of talking in jargon. It's pretty obvious what he means here. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

My take on ‘identity’.

We had a clear identity for around 3-4 months pre Man City game. We were cohesive, fluent, accurate, fast-paced, high-pressing, attacking, probing and adventurous with unity and belief.

This seems to have been replaced by ponderous, hesitant, disjointed randomness. 

 

We  now have a larger squad of better players so, theoretically,  should be an improved team.

All very odd but, there again, I haven’t got any FA coaching badges so no surprise I don’t understand. 

  • Like 6
Link to post
Share on other sites

Really good press conference. Very interesting. He sounded very calm I felt.

Very interesting point about how Sheffield United recruit. He used them as an archetype for a club of our size, but explained exactly why we don't just 'Do what Sheffield United did' (as a few people on here have said) as we have a very different recruitment model. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Robbored said:

 his communication skills are excellent. 

 

 

4 hours ago, Robbored said:

None of us could understand his answer.

May want to read that again.

10 hours ago, RedDave said:

Quite clear to see our identity.  Hit teams on the break, try to create high quality chances (no long shots), create overloads, allow crosses into our box rather than dive into challenging winger which would allow a higher quality chance, throw bodies at shots. 

 

That is a style not an identity. Bristol City have not played that way season long.

An identity is a teams playing principles that are present over a season. That identity guides training, recruitment, its approach to its football through the negative challenges as well as success.

Bristol City have styles. 

Leeds have an identity in and out of possession. They change little and Biesla put in the principles of their play last season. 

WBA interestingly Saturday are a team that changes little. One formation has been used thirty times this season.

  • Like 6
Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

May want to read that again.

LJ is a very good at communication but not in the situation when asked to describe our ‘identity’.........as I posted previously he waffled lots of bluff and hot air that none of the Senior Reds present had any idea what he was on about.

Fact is the guys around my table all thought that he didn’t know what our ‘identity’ is and that it’s a buzz word that he often uses but means nothing.

Edited by Robbored
Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Really good press conference. Very interesting. He sounded very calm I felt.

Very interesting point about how Sheffield United recruit. He used them as an archetype for a club of our size, but explained exactly why we don't just 'Do what Sheffield United did' (as a few people on here have said) as we have a very different recruitment model. 

I find the Sheff Utd comparison very interesting. 
 

Baldock - they signed at 24. He was recommended to City at 19. 
Stevens - they signed at 26. He was recommended to City at 22. 
O’Connell - they signed at 22. He was recommended to City at 19. 
Egan - they signed at 25. He was recommended to City at 21. 
Freeman - they signed at 27. He was recommended to City at 20 (and eventually signed for us at 22). 
I’d also add Lee Evans, who Sheff Utd signed at 23. He was recommended to City at 17. 
 

So, the players which we know of and recommend at a young age are eventually picked up by Sheff U at a more ‘established’ age. 

 

  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, redysteadygo said:

Sorry, not to good an explanation but I think we set up to play this way but we are not very good at it and don't possess the players/abilities to carry it out.

Maybe Wells can help improve this situation but we haven't seen enough of him yet.

It's easy to forget we are the joint 4th highest scorers in the league this year - remarkably on the same number of goals scored as Leeds - it may not be as good viewing as the high possession, high press football we were playing a couple of years back but I would definitely argue it is working well and we are very good at it - it's the perfect away set up, we just need to develop our ability to influence games with the ball more effectively at home imo - and like you say I'm sure Wells and hopefully the return of Kasey to the starting lineup will help with that

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...