IGNORED

LJ WBA Press Conference

BCFC Rich

20 minutes ago, Robbored said:

LJ is a very good at communication but not in the situation when asked to describe our ‘identity’.........as I posted previously he waffled lots of bluff and hot air that none of the Senior Reds present had any idea what he was on about.

Fact is the guys around my table all thought that he didn’t know what our ‘identity’ is and that it’s a buzz word that he often uses but means nothing.

It is a buzz word. Without substance its meaningless, as you state hot air.

You mentioned Pro 2 license its EUFA A licence. I don't possess that lofty level but my coaching mentor and tutor teaches those that do and those that are training to that level. He has a very simple explanation what an identity is .. If you cannot easily describe what it is you do not have one, it is what you are.

As part of coaching modules for badges a coach has to create a project that identifies the coaches principles and values, how we coach, how we teach (communicate), how we play. Coaches educate those who do not have badges - Being Senior or not possessing Lee Johnsons lofty qualification should not mean you cannot understand what his identity is.

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

We are when playing away, Not so much at AG where the opposition often sit back. I can’t see the Baggies doing that tho. I imagine they’ll be at us from the ko and that means a great game of football..

Personally I have only seen one team set up defensively against us this season and that was a Forest. They came for a 0-0 and got it.

The big difference from how we played at home in 17/18 to now is the lack of the high press, triggered by Reid.

We now (generally) much deeper and teams like Derby, Reading, QPR have enjoyed lots of possession - but it’s been in front of us, without too much threat.

Teams like Boro, had midfield runners breaking past their striker and were much more attack minded that I expected.

Teams like Millwall and Blackburn pressed us high up. Millwall by stopping our FBs in their high position 343, Rovers swarming every time ball went into midfield.

We’ve not been effective playing through the press and tended to go direct to Diedhiou out of necessity rather than plan. As a result the rest of the team aren’t well positioned to play off his touch or 50:50 balls.  When we play away, we set up knowing we’ll go direct regularly and therefore set up (in the main) to get runners close to Fam. We don’t seem to be able to just flick that switch / plan / mindset at home. 

Interesting responses. 

My hope, the three January window acquisitions will, if utilised correctly ,provide us a platform on which to create a new legibility/identity. 

The problem being the clock is ticking both on 2 of the 3 acquisitions tenure and, I suspect, how long LJ is with us. 

Really do do hope something positive happens. 

11 hours ago, maxjak said:

Very true what he states about Sheff Utd........Most of the players are late twenties/early thirties. interesting to see how they naintain their squad, as time goes on?

Interesting that he is saying that our recruitment philosophy is hindering our success. 

You could understand LJ being delighted to have Wells come in, who through experience probably has a high level knowledge of in-play tactics.

1 hour ago, Harry said:

I find the Sheff Utd comparison very interesting. 

Baldock - they signed at 24. He was recommended to City at 19. 
Stevens - they signed at 26. He was recommended to City at 22. 
O’Connell - they signed at 22. He was recommended to City at 19. 
Egan - they signed at 25. He was recommended to City at 21. 
Freeman - they signed at 27. He was recommended to City at 20 (and eventually signed for us at 22). 
I’d also add Lee Evans, who Sheff Utd signed at 23. He was recommended to City at 17. 

So, the players which we know of and recommend at a young age are eventually picked up by Sheff U at a more ‘established’ age. 

Recommended by who as a matter of interest ?

51 minutes ago, Three Lions said:

Struggled with talk of philosophy and Sheff U. Sheff U introduce players into a team playing one way.

Yep and would seem to have adopted the successful strategy - financially, performance and entertainment wise. 

Oh well. Never mind. 

3 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

People love to accuse LJ of talking in jargon. It's pretty obvious what he means here. 

FO.  I did not know exactly what he meant hence asking and unlike you, others could see that and clarified without the need for your unnecessary input and presumption.

1 hour ago, mozo said:

Interesting that he is saying that our recruitment philosophy is hindering our success. 

You could understand LJ being delighted to have Wells come in, who through experience probably has a high level knowledge of in-play tactics.

The problem is we couldn’t just jump straight to that model. 

5 hours ago, Robbored said:

As you know Spudski there are a number of anti LJ posters on here who use every opportunity to slag him off - despite much of it being made up bollocks.................:rofl2br:

Is this something you can get on the NHS and what do they make them out of?

5 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

People love to accuse LJ of talking in jargon. It's pretty obvious what he means here. 

For any that are still struggling to understand the club have put out this video to clarify what LJ was saying in his presser............

5 hours ago, Robbored said:

Sadly LJs critics don’t consider why a particular team selection is made. The reasons behind it are conveniently overlooked.

But.... surely we should have 22 players, well-drilled in a style/method of play? While the quality may dip as you slot in replacements from lower down the list, the playing method remains the same.

Problem is I don’t just think it’s the supporters who don’t understand the playing philosophy, it appears the players are struggling too.

Surely, no player wants to move to a Club that plays passive, turgid, regressive, back foot, ‘hoping for the opposition to make a mistake’ type football? That can’t have been what was sold to our players when they signed. 

Anyhow, onwards and upwards. Here’s hoping - and I’m reasonably optimistic - the three newbies act as a springboard and inject some new life into the side. Looking forward to a more positive, energetic, expansive, front foot high-pressing attacking style at home so we become a pleasure to watch on a consistent basis. That seems to be the new approach to the game for the successful sides. Maybe it’s just LJ hasn’t received the coaching manual yet. 

14 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I really didn’t take it as condescending.  He mentions the pro license at 15m39s in, but I think there’s been a build up to this point from 11m00s in (re us not knowing about change in team selection).

I think if you read otib / twitter at 14:01 on Saturday, you will see some amazing knee-jerk reactions to the line-up.  Bollocks like “undroppable Weimann back in”, “what the eff as Diedhiou done to be dropped”, etc.  If otib / twitter is a representation of your average City fan (let’s not enter that debate here ?), then He’s justified in suggesting they don’t understand “the game”, because they’d know if they wait 30-40 minutes some of those team selections are made clear from the pre-match team selection interview....they’d know not to jump the gun.  “Can’t believe he’s picked Massengo”, “he’s dropped Smith” (when the bloke came off injured on the Wednesday night). And until you see the team execute (or not as the case was Saturday) on the pitch, we are all guessing what the plan is.

How many times do we see the eleven at 14:00, and by 14:05 we’ve posted 15 different permutations of formation, some sensible, some beggars belief.

YouTube.

I agree completely Dave. The reactions at 14:01 on a Saturday are too often knee-jerk, stupid and, what's more, from a tiny minority. But he doesn't say that, he just implies fans in general don't understand the game and so should shut up. And he does it on several occasions.

Why the need?

That tiny minority on forums / twitter are best ignored completely. The rest of us, the majority, although disappointed at the absence of Smith, Fam and Benkovic, are clever enough to conclude there must be a good reason such as injury or carrying a niggle. Instead we are all told "you don't understand" -  the majority lumped in with the knee-jerk minority he should be ignoring anyway.

He mentions that on Saturday the away support was calling for Fam to be brought on earlier. I understand completely why he'd want to defend his decision to wait for an hour before introducing him. But, in doing so, why can't he just explain that Fam had been feeling ill, rather than implying his job is so complicated, he needs to be so clever, and that we - the majority with half a brain - couldn't possibly understand what goes into it all.

And by the way, I didn't take it as condescending or arrogant either but it ain't half clumsy to make a habit of saying supporters just don't get it (to repeat - this isn't the first time he's said as much this season).     

I Not as impressed as some seem to be

Besides @Merrick's Marvels Point

So being pummelled at Leeds was down to late sickness wrecking the team selection and plan and some poor performances and failure by players to execute the game plan .... but eager to back all his part and decisions

Think we’d all accept the sickness and injury’s certainly didn’t help in a tough task but he said himself Famara had been ill since Weds and considering Korey has to come off I’d be amazed if they were caught out by his absence 

Btw Every single  club has illness , injuries and other factors involving players , we have the benefit of a large squad , assembled by him

as for ‘identity’ ....... :laugh:

And while you are envious of Sheffield United (Spooky) Lee , I expect the vast majority of EFL managers look at you with total envy , for the backing the owners given you when most would have been replaced , and for being allowed to spend and strengthen the side / squad in every transfer window and continually through your tenure ......

Its such a tough rap you have ....

15 hours ago, RedRock said:

But.... surely we should have 22 players, well-drilled in a style/method of play? While the quality may dip as you slot in replacements from lower down the list, the playing method remains the same.

Problem is I don’t just think it’s the supporters who don’t understand the playing philosophy, it appears the players are struggling too.

Surely, no player wants to move to a Club that plays passive, turgid, regressive, back foot, ‘hoping for the opposition to make a mistake’ type football? That can’t have been what was sold to our players when they signed. 

Anyhow, onwards and upwards. Here’s hoping - and I’m reasonably optimistic - the three newbies act as a springboard and inject some new life into the side. Looking forward to a more positive, energetic, expansive, front foot high-pressing attacking style at home so we become a pleasure to watch on a consistent basis. That seems to be the new approach to the game for the successful sides. Maybe it’s just LJ hasn’t received the coaching manual yet. 

Players want to move to a club where they’re well paid and get games . I don’t think ‘ style ‘ has much weight in the decision and , in any case, a coach doesn’t usually hang around that long . 

13 hours ago, Trueredsupporter said:

When LJ was describing set plays and thrown ins it was hard to follow. I wonder if he talks to the players like that?

Presumably the professionals at the club are more in tune with what’s being proposed , that’s their job. 

I sometimes wonder if LJ overcomplicates things mind. 

7 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

What have people “made up” about LJ on here?

Things like there is unrest in the camp and that he’s a poor man manager, always falling out with his players and they don’t want to play for him.

Its not him who signs the players........etc etc............:sleeping:

On 19/02/2020 at 21:32, Meh said:

Not trying to be negative but at the start he says we did not play with our identity but Leeds played with theirs.

Once and for all for thickish people like me - wtf does that mean in normal English?

Does that mean formation, game plan and normal style or what - I seriously don’t know so would appreciate a simple explanation!!

On 19/02/2020 at 21:34, Harry said:

It means they executed their game plan very well and we didn’t execute ours at all. 

I'm confused by this identity stuff as well mate.

A plan isn't an identity.

"Identity" is clearly very important to Johnson as he's banging on about it all the time, but I'm none the wiser reading this thread.

In short, do you know what our identity is and/or meant to be?

On 19/02/2020 at 21:19, Harry said:

Some posters on here will pick something negative and run with it ?

On 19/02/2020 at 21:32, Meh said:

Not trying to be negative but at the start he says we did not play with our identity but Leeds played with theirs.

Once and for all for thickish people like me - wtf does that mean in normal English?

Does that mean formation, game plan and normal style or what - I seriously don’t know so would appreciate a simple explanation!!

On 19/02/2020 at 21:34, Harry said:

It means they executed their game plan very well and we didn’t execute ours at all. 

What does that mean ?

19 minutes ago, NickJ said:

I'm confused by this identity stuff as well mate.

A plan isn't an identity.

"Identity" is clearly very important to Johnson as he's banging on about it all the time, but I'm none the wiser reading this thread.

In short, do you know what our identity is and/or meant to be?

None of us know what our ‘identity’ is Nick, and neither does LJ himself who couldn’t explain  it when asked directly at Senior Reds recently.......It seems that it’s a trendy ‘buzz’ word that LJ uses but doesn’t actually know what it means..........:dunno:

Next time he’s the guest speaker at Senior Reds I’ll ask him again but I won’t be expecting a very clear or precise reply.....

17 minutes ago, Robbored said:

None of us know what our ‘identity’ is Nick, and neither does LJ himself who couldn’t explain  it when asked directly at Senior Reds recently.......It seems that it’s a trendy ‘buzz’ word that LJ uses but doesn’t actually know what it means..........:dunno:

Next time he’s the guest speaker at Senior Reds I’ll ask him again but I won’t be expecting a very clear or precise reply.....

Thanks.

Not such an impressive interview after all then. To elaborate on that, the suggestion that it would be difficult for anyone without a Pro 2 to understand. Well actually, if its explained properly in normal English, I'm fairly confident I would.

To be fair, overall the interview was heaps better than normal, I just look forward to the day when the meaningless buzzwords and phrases are dropped completely and the excuses dispensed with.

But then I suppose it wouldn't be anywhere near as entertaining. ?

I might be mis-quoting but I recall that Secret Footballer wrote in book 1 that players have a tendency to think that football fans are clueless when it comes to their opinions about performances. I think the reason given was that we don't understand the tactics enough to know why certain things happen on the pitch. I think Johnson's spot on that fans (99% I'd say), don't understand the concept of overloads or patterns of play.

I mean when did you last hear a bloke in the crowd stand up and bellow "Come on City, you're not executing the pattern Johnson set for winning the ball in the opposition half, on the left hand side when we've got a 3 v 2! Oh and ref, you're a ******!!"

Archived