IGNORED

Can this season possibly beat last season?

Hampshire Red

Clearly this is aimed at those who travel away because our home form under 'Super Lee' has been average. 

What games do we need to win in the next few weeks to exceed the unbelievable /incredible performances of last season. We all have different recollections, largely based on our match day experiences but some say 18/19 under Lee's astute coaching was the best in our 125yr history. My thoughts are:winning at Sheff U, Swansea and Stoke was incredible 

Winning twice in West London (40 odd yrs since a league win at QPR?) was magic for the M4 fans also visiting Griffin Park

A double blow against Chris Wilder gave notice to all other coaches in the Championship. 

All those miles travelled with so few defeats. It may never happen again at this level so we all celebrate that about last season. 

What do we need to do now to beat that? Win enough to get us to 6th place, win the play off away and win at Wembley is the obvious answer but what would you settle for? After 40yrs of not winning at Forest, Sky may now show us winning there three times in succession. A win at the Den can surely only happen if we play big guys (remember they out-muscled us at A.G), any win in Yorkshire is enjoyable. 

Your thoughts? 

• Admin
4 hours ago, swanker said:

The playoffs would be fantastic. I’m not that concerned about promotion at the moment but the excitement of finishing in the top six would round off the season nicely. 

Agree - we have to be looking at the play offs and last day excitement against PNE could yet be on !

Assuming we don't go up, I'd rather lose in the semi this time around than having the pain of losing at Wembley

Wouldn't it be nice to put one over Leeds at Wembley in the final, reminds me how we beat Cardiff twice in the league then they saw us off in the play offs - time to return the favour to Leeds

Of all teams to meet on the final day if we have something to play for - Preston would probably be bottom of the pile! Likely they’ll still be in and around so it could be a huge match. Long way to go before that however. 

Play-offs would be great, regardless of how we do in them. It’s progress once again.

In isolation, over 2 legs, I think we could give anyone a real go. I just really wouldn’t fancy Leeds in a final should we get there. 

20 minutes ago, City oz said:

We dont deserve to go up unfortunately. We need one more season to develop and get a strong hold on this week. Hate to say it but a lucky promotion this season may bring us crashing back down hard 

I have a feeling that we were saying this last season and the season before though.  Probably be saying it next year too.

• Admin
1 hour ago, City oz said:

We dont deserve to go up unfortunately. We need one more season to develop and get a strong hold on this week. Hate to say it but a lucky promotion this season may bring us crashing back down hard 

I'm not sure we will improve though

Our points gained at this stage of the season is the same for the previous 3 seasons (inc this one), people talk about improving year on year, that is only in league position and has more to do with our opponents.

We've thrown our philosophy of being a ball playing side to going more and more long ball lately, this season has a big feeling of now or never for LJ to me

9 hours ago, phantom said:

I'm not sure we will improve though

Our points gained at this stage of the season is the same for the previous 3 seasons (inc this one), people talk about improving year on year, that is only in league position and has more to do with our opponents.

We've thrown our philosophy of being a ball playing side to going more and more long ball lately, this season has a big feeling of now or never for LJ to me

Lets be optimistic as you never know.

21 hours ago, Hampshire Red said:

We all have different recollections, largely based on our match day experiences but some say 18/19 under Lee's astute coaching was the best in our 125yr history.

No way 2018/2019 was the best in our 125 year history - we nearly won the top tier in 1907 and in my lifetime we finished 13th in the top tier in 1979 - and that season included Kevin Mabbutt’s famous hatrick at Old Trafford and the mighty City beating Liverpool at home - and not just any Liverpool team - they were European Champions at the time and they also won the top tier in 1979 - the highlights that season blow anything LJ has achieved right out of the water - let’s not get too carried away about the run to the league cup semi final a few seasons back - our club has done that and lots, lots more in the dim and distant ...

1 hour ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

No way 2018/2019 was the best in our 125 year history - we nearly won the top tier in 1907 and in my lifetime we finished 13th in the top tier in 1979 - and that season included Kevin Mabbutt’s famous hatrick at Old Trafford and the mighty City beating Liverpool at home - and not just any Liverpool team - they were European Champions at the time and they also won the top tier in 1979 - the highlights that season blow anything LJ has achieved right out of the water - let’s not get too carried away about the run to the league cup semi final a few seasons back - our club has done that and lots, lots more in the dim and distant ...

I think the younger posters on here tend to forget that football did exist before there memories. I did think the best in our 125 year history was a bit laughable, it was a good season but not THAT good.

Archived