IGNORED

Interesting press release by Inverness : what do you think?

phantom

• Admin

CLUB STATEMENT

FEBRUARY 19, 2020

Following the decision by the 3 man Fast Track Tribunal Panel to dismiss the club appeal against the yellow card awarded to James Keatings by referee Greg Aitken during Sunday’s Tunnock’s Caramel Wafer Cup Semi-Final, the club has no option but to speak out publicly on behalf of our player and on behalf of the growing number of Scottish football clubs who believe that the SFA disciplinary process is not fit for purpose.

In relation to the inexplicable decision to dismiss our appeal this morning, one which will see James miss the Cup Final, we would like to communicate with our support and to the many people who have contacted James and the club since Sunday. 

Our appeal was submitted on Monday morning with our payment for the right to appeal and video evidence of 3 different angles of the incident, with the most enlightening angle shown at full speed and also in slow motion. 

The referee also submitted his reply to the appeal and within that, he states that from his angle, he believed there had been no contact made by the defender on James and this led him to believe that James had thrown himself to the ground in an attempt to deceive him, therefore he deemed it to be an act of simulation, hence the decision. 

We do not want to question anyone’s integrity in this statement and therefore if we set what we do or do not believe aside, it could certainly be argued that this position is plausible.  

The video evidence however removes all doubt from the situation and it was this evidence with which we confidently based our case on. As far as we were concerned, once the 3 man panel viewed the video evidence, coupled with the fact that the referee himself was stating that he only made the decision based on his personal view, albeit that he was only a few yards away and not the vastly superior and different video angles, justice and sporting integrity would surely prevail. 

James Keatings has never been booked for simulation in his entire career and Sunday’s red card was also the first in his career. The player himself was devastated by the decision on Sunday and has been contacted by many players, ex-players, the PFA and multiple journalists and friends, all of whom believed that justice would be done by the panel. This scenario represented the exact situation that these protocols were set up to address. 

When the club was given the news this morning that the appeal had not only be dismissed but that James had in fact been adjudged to have committed simulation, we were both incredulous and furious in equal measure. We would once again re-iterate that we do not want to call into question anyone’s integrity with this statement but we must call into question the actual football knowledge of those sitting in judgement on all Scottish football players under this current system. If the individuals involved in this morning’s Tribunal can watch the footage we supplied, footage which the whole of Scottish football has now seen and call this simulation, then there can be no other conclusion other than they do not understand football or the rules of the game. As harsh as this sounds, there can be no other conclusion. Fans and officials of all clubs are mystified by this decision. 

This decision has cost our player the chance to play in a national Cup Final, not something that comes along every week, to the detriment of the player, his team mates, the club and our fans. We believe it also damages the credibility of our governing body and brings the game into disrepute. The decision is plainly wrong and the dogs in the street know this. We have no right to appeal this final decision and it is painful to accept. 

As a club we have been contacted by Chairmen, Chief Executives, Directors and fans of other clubs today in a completely unique show of support and solidarity with James Keatings and ICTFC. As appreciated as this has been undoubtedly been, it does not change the fact that there is clearly something wrong with the system, if it is not addressed, we are all responsible for the continuing denigration of our standards, our supporters view of the national game and sporting integrity in Scottish football. 

Scot Gardiner  – Chief Executive Officer

Ross Morrison – Chairman

Ridiculous that it wasn't overturned on the basis that the refs report said from the angle he saw it he believed there to be no contact, the panel themselves then confirming the belief they believe that is simulation. To me it just stinks of they've not actually really looked at the footage and then gone with whats in the report rather than have to go through the process of rescinding it. Just ask the question if it had been a Celtic or Rangers player would it have been upheld? Think you can guess the answer... 

7 minutes ago, Coxy27 said:

Are the rules different in Scotland then? - I didn't think you could appeal a second yellow?

I think that’s the real point they are making - from the clip - there was clear contact and the player went down because of it - the issue would be whether or not it would be deemed a foul or not.

We have seen this in English football where there has been a clear error by officials, and where, as in this case, it prevents a player from playing in a potentially ‘once in a lifetime’ match re-enforces the fact that there should be the ability to appeal ‘any yellow card (whether or not this is a second or first yellow) where undoubted evidence shows the referees reason for the card can be proved ‘totally wrong’.

This is where football needs to move with the times .....

When you watch it, you'll see that whilst the initial foot and ball skill isn't the best, the striker is still running directly towards the ball. It's a collision from behind him. Accidental. However, basing it in light of Bristol City decisions, James Keating should be banned for 6 weeks!

It's ridiculous and quite frankly a lazy rule that red cards can't be appealed if they're for two yellows.  They absolutely have a case here.  Hopefully they can get enough momentum behind it to help change the rule in the future.

Terrible decision in the first place as well really.  How much of a ***** must you be to want to send someone off for something like that?  Even more so given the circumstance of it being a cup semi-final.

However, the most shocking thing of all here is the name of that cup.  The Tunnock's Wafer Cup?  Really?? ?

The panel couldn't have watched the video otherwise there's no way they could have come to their conclusion, shameful,  but then how could Fammy have a 6 game ban for something that never happened? Bigger clubs get the decisions, and you can be assured if it was one of the big Glasgow teams it would have been overturned for sure

16 minutes ago, Natchfever said:

Wow.

What the **** was the panel looking at ?

The sad thing is things like this undermine confidence in officials. There must be a lot of referees who think things like this are a joke but cannot say anything due to it undermining their employers and then their job gets so much harder on the pitch as a result...

10 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

The sad thing is things like this undermine confidence in officials. There must be a lot of referees who think things like this are a joke but cannot say anything due to it undermining their employers and then their job gets so much harder on the pitch as a result...

This has to be the reasoning surely. 

I wonder if VAR had been trialled in the lower leagues to iron out all the "niggles" what the future of it would have been?

Also what would be the cost of employing 2 extra linesman so both sides of pitch and views of possible cotact were visable to the match officials? I'm not saying the decisions would be any better, just wondering!

11 minutes ago, bengalcub said:

No player how good should miss a cup final . 

Happened to gazza , scholes , keane etc etc ....

The final is the showpiece of a competition and the pinnacle of ones career.

But how can that not happen, you can’t give players a green light to foul and cheat their way through semi’s knowing they will play in the final. 

I do think though this player has been harshly and unfairly dealt with in this instance.

1 hour ago, LondonBristolian said:

Had VAR been operative in this game the ref could have reviewed the decision on the pitchside TV monitor and would almost certainly have reversed the yellow card decision.

If so, then as it is ( to all of our eyes at least) a clear and obvious error why couldn't the ref have been asked to attend the tribunal and to review the TV evidence presented by the club? If he had and had agreed that it was an  erroneous decision which should be reverted,  it would have spared the tribunal the "embarrassment" of doing what they were clearly not prepared to do of their own volition.

as with some of the mystifying VASR decisions i the prem, decisions like this do absolutely nothing to give fans and players greater confidence in officials and administrators as this smacks of the tribunal backing their man ( the ref) rather than doing the right thing.

Should not have been a red card , the player was fouled.   .Simples the ref made a mistake ,but this should have been corrected at the appeal in light of the video evidence .Makes me wonder if someone has a different agenda. Well done to the club making the statement ,sometimes you have to stand up for what's right

3 hours ago, RedM said:

But how can that not happen, you can’t give players a green light to foul and cheat their way through semi’s knowing they will play in the final. 

I do think though this player has been harshly and unfairly dealt with in this instance.

They will recieve a red in the semi punishment enough , 

Made just change it to only straight reds = a ban in the final ? 

5 hours ago, hodge said:

Ridiculous that it wasn't overturned on the basis that the refs report said from the angle he saw it he believed there to be no contact, the panel themselves then confirming the belief they believe that is simulation. To me it just stinks of they've not actually really looked at the footage and then gone with whats in the report rather than have to go through the process of rescinding it. Just ask the question if it had been a Celtic or Rangers player would it have been upheld? Think you can guess the answer... 

Bit lazy to assume the authorities up there favour the Old Firm - they certainly don’t ...

6 hours ago, bengalcub said:

They will recieve a red in the semi punishment enough , 

Made just change it to only straight reds = a ban in the final ? 

At least a straight red could be appealed in time for the final, so yes I could agree with that thinking.

43 minutes ago, formerly known as ivan said:

I lost interest at the point I read...Tunnock’s Caramel Wafer Cup Semi-Final

I only found out about it when i was playing FM in the lower leagues, its basically a poor version of what i want the EFL cup to become. It was formally the Scottish challenge cup i think but for a few years they've started invited top teams in from the Welsh league, Irish league and Vanarama National (The conference where you sometimes find Rovers). So its become a sort of lower leagues cup that's also a home nations club cup. Got to be more interesting away days in Ireland and welsh grounds than playing Gillingham or Peterborough for the 100th time and getting beat or playing Prem reserve teams.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scottish_Challenge_Cup

Archived