IGNORED

CUMBERLAND RD update

pillred

7 minutes ago, Up The City! said:

This is giving me flashbacks to when Bridge Valley Road was closed a few years back, again a job the council tried to do on the cheap and messed it right up and it ended up costing more and taking longer. BCC are not fit to run this City, they are totally inept and indecisive and keep on making expensive mistakes.

This road will now be closed for at least a year I'd say, not one I use very often but it is on the route of the Bristol 10k and Half Marathons so be interested to see what alternative route they will use for that.

BVR was massively complicated by the railway tunnel underneath more than anything else.  Actually when Bridge Valley Road was closed the portway was an absolute dreamboat without those ***** traffic lights stopping traffic. Yes was a pain to get up to clifton but actually those 18 odd months made the whole of south bristol run 1000 times better 

2 hours ago, BS15_RED said:

If assholes could fly, then the Council House, or City Hall as that red trousered **** renamed it, would be busier than Heathrow.

This reminds me of a true story my dear old Dad told me. He was on a bus going down Park Street and a young girl sat in front of him asked her grandad what the building was. “That’s the Council House” he told her - “Oh right” - she said - “ Mum’s got her name down for one of those ...” 

6 hours ago, Monkeh said:

It needs to be rebuilt, repairs won’t cut it, and it begs the question, if they knew about the underground slip 2 years ago why didn’t they shut the road the and do something

this is typical Bristol city council reactive rather then proactive

I have always thought that part of the cut was liable to collapse because of the ever increasing traffic and weight on Cumberland Road and because of the utter lack of maintenance to the waterway itself; notice the mud banked up and pulling the structure downwards and with the constant velocity above it was a disaster waiting to happen. How the Council could not see it happening is mind blowingly dumb and totally negligent. Muppets of the highest order.

6 hours ago, myol'man said:

I blame Isambard for using cheap Irish labour

I thought it was French navies comandered following the defeat of Napoleon in 1815?

16 hours ago, Slippin cider said:

Always a drama somewhere in Bristol ...:facepalm:

When I was back in November in December the roads in Bristol were the worse congested and worse maintained roads I have ever seen. I see in one of the posts there is a McColls off license and I bet there will be lots of thatchers going cheap soon if there is no drive by traffic ?

55 minutes ago, GreedyHarry said:

Ashton Swing Bridge. The one the metro bus goes over nowadays. It used to be double deck. Railway below, road on top.

Guessing the photo was taking from the control gantry above looking at that pic and this one. 

60A4AA7E-9361-43ED-878C-62A9A018764B.jpeg

2 hours ago, Oh Louie louie said:

Around the time of the bridge valley works, a guy was riding to work along the portway, and a pipe exploded i think, and he ended up in the drink.

Imagine that, one minute your cycling to work, next minute your flying into the river.

Serves him right for smoking a pipe whilst cycling.

32 minutes ago, Reigate Red said:

Ahh but in the 70's surely it wouuld have been known as the white chocolate path? ? 

Thanks to this little git....  

The Milky Bar Kid...  turned shite white in the 70's .. article-1184341-04FEF10F000005DC-341_468x338.jpg(he thought he was 'big and strong' )

…until along came....

....The TRUCK with the YORKIE BARS!!  - Chocolate was back!!!

3205D0D200000578-0-image-m-42_1457536697912.jpg

....and all was well again! ?

18 hours ago, Reigate Red said:

I know I have not lived in Bristol for quite a few years but where does the term "chocolate path" come from? If it is historical then I can't say I've heard of it.

we always called it the toe path ,think they changed  it when all the pendelberrys moved in .

Always enjoyed my halftime Yorkie!  

As mentioned above nicknamed the chocolate path due to the shape of the paviers, nothing to due with the colour.

Would also be known by some as the Tow path ( not toe as above) :laugh:, imagine there’s been a few stubbed on route nevertheless.

Archived