CUMBERLAND RD update

pillred

1 hour ago, Major Isewater said:

Is that Robbored on the left ?

56 minutes ago, Roger Red Hat said:

No, he's firmly on the right......

If he was middle of the road someone could knock him down 

4 hours ago, Galway Red said:

Will be closed for years and the cost to repair will increase by tens of millions, the whole length of the cut will need to be assessed, should of been sorted 2 years ago  when the original collapse happened

Years?! Really? Blimey, I’d heard it was gonna cost £9m to put right ... I used that road loads, it’s added quite a significant amount of time to my journeys at least twice a week. I’d also heard they knew the road was likely to be affected by a collapse for a few years but they decided to wait until it happened before they did anything about it ... how irresponsible is that?! 

They’re not doing any corrective work until the summer apparently, concrete blocks have been placed at the point of collapse to test the integrity of the road above, can’t see this opening in any direction anytime soon  ...on a brighter note you can now drive on the other side of the river (Coronation Road) and encounter massive delays and tailbacks while they construct a cycle lane (at and opposite Dean lane) that won’t be used (just like Clarence Road) and will probably cost a fortune ! Only in Bristol does one main road close and another dug up with single file traffic! .....:clap:idiots!!!!

2 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Years?! Really? Blimey, I’d heard it was gonna cost £9m to put right ... I used that road loads, it’s added quite a significant amount of time to my journeys at least twice a week. I’d also heard they knew the road was likely to be affected by a collapse for a few years but they decided to wait until it happened before they did anything about it ... how irresponsible is that?! 

Labourrrrrrrrrr.

6 hours ago, Slippin cider said:

They’re not doing any corrective work until the summer apparently, concrete blocks have been placed at the point of collapse to test the integrity of the road above, can’t see this opening in any direction anytime soon  ...on a brighter note you can now drive on the other side of the river (Coronation Road) and encounter massive delays and tailbacks while they construct a cycle lane (at and opposite Dean lane) that won’t be used (just like Clarence Road) and will probably cost a fortune ! Only in Bristol does one main road close and another dug up with single file traffic! .....:clap:idiots!!!!

Exactly this, why do the council not suspend the works on Coronation Road just to ease the congestion in South Bristol. The planning for cycle lanes is a joke in the city, take Baldwin St for instance, take away all the loading bays and Taxi ranks for a cycle path that most choose not to ride in ,then have Tesco lorry’s parked on the main highway blocking the traffic both ways every morning .

11 minutes ago, Peter1450 said:

Exactly this, why do the council not suspend the works on Coronation Road just to ease the congestion in South Bristol. The planning for cycle lanes is a joke in the city, take Baldwin St for instance, take away all the loading bays and Taxi ranks for a cycle path that most choose not to ride in ,then have Tesco lorry’s parked on the main highway blocking the traffic both ways every morning .

It will be budgets. They have set amounts allocated to these projects each year, and if they don’t use it the lose it. Additionally the government are likely to reduce the budget the following year, as they obviously don’t need it!

7 hours ago, Slippin cider said:

on a brighter note you can now drive on the other side of the river (Coronation Road) and encounter massive delays and tailbacks while they construct a cycle lane (at and opposite Dean lane) that won’t be used (just like Clarence Road) and will probably cost a fortune ! Only in Bristol does one main road close and another dug up with single file traffic! .....:clap:idiots!!!!

Its ******* ridiculous. My drive home takes place well outside the rush hour but even at 11:00am the traffic is stacked all the way back to Bedminster Bridge. God knows what it’s like in either direction at 17:00?

I cut through Bedminster and Southville to get down to the Portway.

27 minutes ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

Its ******* ridiculous. My drive home takes place well outside the rush hour but even at 11:00am the traffic is stacked all the way back to Bedminster Bridge. God knows what it’s like in either direction at 17:00?

I cut through Bedminster and Southville to get down to the Portway.

Exactly, on Wednesday at 1300 I joined the back of a very long queue by The Avon Packet pub and it took me 25 mins just to get to Bedminster bridge !! ...temporary lights by Dean lane and down to one lane only past the site of what looked like a narrow curbed cycle path that was about 50m long ! ...unbelievable! 

1 hour ago, Port Said Red said:

It will be budgets. They have set amounts allocated to these projects each year, and if they don’t use it the lose it. Additionally the government are likely to reduce the budget the following year, as they obviously don’t need it!

Happens every year. Some bullshit project to use the money. Classic local examples being the widened pavements/cycle lanes on York Rd/Whitehouse Rd and Coronation Red/Greenway Bush Lane. Absolutely pointless. 

Not as pointless mind as when they spent a fortune in Feb/March putting a load of blue glass triangles in the railings along Bond Street on the approach to / from the Bearpit roundabout. Classic. 

1 hour ago, CyderInACan said:

Not as pointless mind as when they spent a fortune in Feb/March putting a load of blue glass triangles in the railings along Bond Street on the approach to / from the Bearpit roundabout. Classic. 

They've always been there haven't they?  Or are these replacements?

If only we had an elected Lord Mayor who could cut through all this crap.

2 minutes ago, Drew Peacock said:

They've always been there haven't they?  Or are these replacements?

If only we had an elected Lord Mayor who could cut through all this crap.

Pedant alert - the Lord Mayor is a ceremonial position, the Mayor is an elected official.

Anyhow, as you indicate, the Mayor is useless and invisible - other than a photo opportunity.

6 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

Pedant alert - the Lord Mayor is a ceremonial position, the Mayor is an elected official.

Anyhow, as you indicate, the Mayor is useless and invisible - other than a photo opportunity.

Give it a month and we can travel where we want in style and comfort on Marvin's Marvellous Magical Mass-Transport Machine.

Yes. His underground rail network that is in no way based on a fanciful dream.

21 hours ago, Slippin cider said:

What’s most annoying is when cyclists don’t actually use the cycle lane. 
There is a cycle lane on the pavement pretty much all the way along Coronation Road. The road itself is narrow, and only just fits 2 cars width, so if a cyclist is on the road rather than the path, they hold up the traffic. 
Last home game this is exactly what happened after the game. I couldn’t get past a cyclist as he was on the road and there was constant oncoming traffic. 
I beeped at him, and wound my window down to inform him that there was a cycle path he should be using, and of course all I got back was angry waving and disagreement. 
And it was a city fan too, on his way back from the game. 
If you’re on here, own up. And next time, use the ******* cycle path!! 

Archived