IGNORED

Benik (Merged)

Hampshire reds

4 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I had the first option together with tidying my damaged cartilage.  I was told 9/12 months, if I was a pro 6/9 months.  I was ahead of schedule until fluid problems occurred.  I lost little to no muscle (obviously not as defined as Benik’s!!) until fluid stopped me working on them.

That is usually the main problem Dave - fluid build-up.As I'm sure you remember, when you increased your workload, it felt great, until the next morning when there was a bag of fluid around your graft for a bit.

That's why knees take time, plus Benik is a heavy guy, and his profession requires high-speed sideways movement - so any less than 11-12 months would concern me.

If people have had a twisted ankle, then you all recall the swelling - that's the body sending proteins,sugars and hormones to the damaged area - and these mostly bind to H2O for tranport. We are all essentially a big bag of fluid!

Write this year off, take the off-season to fully rehab slowly and add 5% extra muscle support over normal, and hopefully his knee won't go again.

it was his 'good' knee, so hopefully should respond in the same way as his old ACL which has held up well.

He should be 100% for pre-season if all goes well.

6 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

You could expand a little and tell @Agard Days Night why you don’t think Kasey Palmer can thread balls through to a forward partnership of Afobe and Wells? He was certainly doing a good enough job in this regard at the start of the season when we had Afobe and Weimann up there - and his ball through for Rowe to score away at Brum was just sublime, very high class ... your one word dismissal of him can surely be expanded?

Gaffer scared to play him . On the ball he has ability but LJ doesn’t like his work ethic . Upsets the balance of our side . I like him . 

Highly doubt he'll be back in contention until mid April at the very earliest, but very encouraging. Hopefully it will give the rest of the squad a boost as well.

For the club to have been giving so much attention to him whilst out injured (as a loan player), you'd have to presume a deal is almost definitely going to happen providing there is no recurrence of the injury. There wasn't with his previous knee, so fingers crossed.

5 minutes ago, Taz said:

Highly doubt he'll be back in contention until mid April at the very earliest, but very encouraging. Hopefully it will give the rest of the squad a boost as well.

For the club to have been giving so much attention to him whilst out injured (as a loan player), you'd have to presume a deal is almost definitely going to happen providing there is no recurrence of the injury. There wasn't with his previous knee, so fingers crossed.

Ive heard that it was the opposite knee this time and that it wasnt reoccurring. Doesnt the ACL get stronger when muscle around it gets trained properly after a break? 

1 hour ago, Meh said:

As little as 3 years ago if you heard Afobe and Wells were starting up front you would think this was for Leeds or West Brom - not Bristol City.

I thought the same when we signed Michael Bridge and Marcus Stewart.......:facepalm::whistle::tumbleweed:and lastly :mf_sleep:

Just kidding. Completely agree with you.

2 hours ago, Eighteen ninetyfour said:

Ive heard that it was the opposite knee this time and that it wasnt reoccurring. Doesnt the ACL get stronger when muscle around it gets trained properly after a break? 

It was the opposite knee.

Can't answer the other question though as I don't have a clue!!

2 hours ago, Eighteen ninetyfour said:

@SX227 is your man / woman here.

I can only speak from my own experiences.  I don’t believe the ACL can get stronger itself (it’s a ligament, not a muscle), but you can provide better protection by having strong muscles around the knee.

But you can’t help a freak accident.  Benik was just trying to bring a ball down with both feet off the ground (according to Deano) and I was went up for a free header.  We both landed awkwardly.  I very much suspect Benik’s muscles were far more developed than mine.

It's keeping the muscles around the knee built but also in good shape. The sartorius for example is harder to work during normal exercises. You don't really lift weights to bulk it up its more about using stretches and work with foam rollers etc keep it shape and maximise flexibility. For some people (me included) changing your running style can also help - my style was with feet more turned out had to to learn to straighten up for less stress through the knee. Interestingly (well I thought so any way ?) my physio here in the States referred to this as the Gerrard workout - because of "some soccer player" whose running style they had to correct when he first started playing to try and prevent long term injuries in the future. 

Although I didn't really accept much of LJ's pre-match West Brom press conference, it was telling that when questioned about Benik's return he said that he would be joining them for training (today) but then also implied that he expected him to make a playing return before the end of the season.

Let's just sign the guy on for three years. To hell with financial prudence!

Something in the back of my head tells me that this bloke can be our talisman to move into the next level - albeit too late to rescue this season.

Welcome back Benik Afobe!

34 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

@SX227 is your man / woman here.

I can only speak from my own experiences.  I don’t believe the ACL can get stronger itself (it’s a ligament, not a muscle), but you can provide better protection by having strong muscles around the knee.

But you can’t help a freak accident.  Benik was just trying to bring a ball down with both feet off the ground (according to Deano) and I was went up for a free header.  We both landed awkwardly.  I very much suspect Benik’s muscles were far more developed than mine.

After 4 torn ACL’s I can confirm they are never as strong again, and while strengthening the muscles around them can help with stabilising, a awkward twist and if that knee gives way it will go again, 

be amazed if he features for us in anymore than the last 10 of the final day of the season

9 minutes ago, AshtonGreat said:

Is it? Palmer isn't much to get excited about IMO

Form is temporary.

Since Benik’s injury have we truly played to Palmers strengths? Have we given him running options to meet his passing ability?

He is a high quality championship play maker but unless we use him properly there is a strong argument he is at the wrong club.

6 minutes ago, Meh said:

Form is temporary.

Since Benik’s injury have we truly played to Palmers strengths? Have we given him running options to meet his passing ability?

He is a high quality championship play maker but unless we use him properly there is a strong argument he is at the wrong club.

Meh. I think people have been making excuses for him for too long. How much is it he gets paid - 15/20 grand a week? And I don't think he's done anything of note since September. Poor. 

On 22/02/2020 at 13:39, SX227 said:

That is usually the main problem Dave - fluid build-up.As I'm sure you remember, when you increased your workload, it felt great, until the next morning when there was a bag of fluid around your graft for a bit.

That's why knees take time, plus Benik is a heavy guy, and his profession requires high-speed sideways movement - so any less than 11-12 months would concern me.

If people have had a twisted ankle, then you all recall the swelling - that's the body sending proteins,sugars and hormones to the damaged area - and these mostly bind to H2O for tranport. We are all essentially a big bag of fluid!

Write this year off, take the off-season to fully rehab slowly and add 5% extra muscle support over normal, and hopefully his knee won't go again.

it was his 'good' knee, so hopefully should respond in the same way as his old ACL which has held up well.

He should be 100% for pre-season if all goes well.

Interesting info, thanks for posting. Real shame, definitely not what we wanted to hear. Heres a 2019 quote from the guardian...

"There are currently 36 players from Europe’s five biggest leagues out with ACL injuries, which on average require 269 days’ recovery." 

Thats 9 months (confirming what you said) so it looks like it would be a super human recovery to see him play this year and definitely not worth the risk with a pre season coming up. Couldve been an absolute weapon for us if we got to the playoffs.

Archived