Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

Hampshire reds

Benik (Merged)

sorry if this has been asked by anyone. Have we got the option to buy Benik after his loan and also if we have have we agreed a fee with stoke. he seems to love city and i know the fsns love him. 

8 minutes ago, Hampshire reds said:

sorry if this has been asked by anyone. Have we got the option to buy Benik after his loan and also if we have have we agreed a fee with stoke. he seems to love city and i know the fsns love him. 

I believe we do, not sure that we would excercise that option though as the fear would be that after two ACL injuries the likelihood of reoccurences throughout his career is greatly increased (according to sources I have read on here, I am in no way a doctor).

• Like 2

We do have a pre agreed fee and although the figure wasn't reported at the time it was supposed to be a very good deal for us. Would be amazing to have Fammy, Wells and Afobe. The fact that is even a possibility show the progress we have made overall. 

• Like 1

I'd of liked to of seen more from him and was impressed with what I did see. My thought is would we spend more money on another striker if Wells starts banging them in? This is his second ACL injury I believe? I'd like to see how he comes back from injury before signing him, if he comes back and scores regularly and partners up well with Wells etc it's a no brainer  

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, iamalagerdrinker said:

I'd of liked to of seen more from him and was impressed with what I did see. My thought is would we spend more money on another striker if Wells starts banging them in? This is his second ACL injury I believe? I'd like to see how he comes back from injury before signing him, if he comes back and scores regularly and partners up well with Wells etc it's a no brainer  

Different knee, so he’s had no recurrence of the one he did when he was 19 or 20.  Think City would love to get him back for a few games thus season to judge recovery, which would inform them whether it’s a risky signing or not.  Then you’ve got all close and pre-season to get him fit.  It’s possible to build up the muscles around the knee to increase support.  A number of Rugby Union players, play without their ACL.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4

30 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Different knee, so he’s had no recurrence of the one he did when he was 19 or 20.  Think City would love to get him back for a few games thus season to judge recovery, which would inform them whether it’s a risky signing or not.  Then you’ve got all close and pre-season to get him fit.  It’s possible to build up the muscles around the knee to increase support.  A number of Rugby Union players, play without their ACL.

Good point re the ACL, I was trying find reference to it online, but couldn’t.

I did notice his goals to games ratio. A fairly solid spell between 14-16 at Wolves amend Milton Keynes respectively, but aside from that it’s not what I thought it would be.

Again the 14-16 period saw him play a decent chunk of games (not all) outside of that it’s quite patchy.

Obviously a really talented player, just not what Quite the career I thought.

Edited by 054123

We all know how difficult it is to bring strikers in at this level. IF we are a championship club again next season and Benik can prove his fitness its a no brainer for me. A strikeforce of Wells,Famara,Weimann and Afobe is the sort of strength and depth you need at this level if you want to seriously challenge over the course of a season.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Club and Country said:

I think they will sign him... the struggles all clubs have in bringing strikers in at this level are clear, afobe seems to tick a box for us 

Agree - especially if the rumoured transfer fee of c.£3m is correct - would be stupid to turn that option down.

Wells & Afobe up front - just imagine that! 👍🤞🤞

• Like 2

I'm praying:pray: that we can get Benik back, and for him to prove his fitness.

We can then exercise the option to buy him which as others have said is supposed to be a great deal for us, just like the Dasilva steal.

My fear is the lack of time, and if we don't see him back, do we still buy him and hope all is good before next season?

I'd imagine the agreed fee is only valid until the start of next season, or maybe it's sooner?

Let's say it's 3 Million, but after that it will be say 7 Million. It's a difficult one for sure!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Sniper said:

I'm praying:pray: that we can get Benik back, and for him to prove his fitness.

We can then exercise the option to buy him which as others have said is supposed to be a great deal for us, just like the Dasilva steal.

My fear is the lack of time, and if we don't see him back, do we still buy him and hope all is good before next season?

I'd imagine the agreed fee is only valid until the start of next season, or maybe it's sooner?

Let's say it's 3 Million, but after that it will be say 7 Million. It's a difficult one for sure!

He only has a year left on his contract this summer, so I don’t think Stoke will be in a great position to recoup a big fee.  His contract (£12m fee / 3 years) will only be valued at £4m this summer in their accounts, and it will be probably be an opportunity to free up his wages.  They may of course decide to keep him, play him and hope he does well and they can offer a new contract (should City not exercise their option).  Ashley Williams wasn’t particularly complimentary about Stoke, and Benik was certainly open about how much he was enjoying here (you could read that as he wasn’t happy there!).  But then again they have a different manager these days.  Stoke nowhere near guaranteed to be in the Champ next season either.

Lots of factors.  Would be brill if he makes it back with us, shows us he’s worth buying, and we go from there.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

He only has a year left on his contract this summer, so I don’t think Stoke will be in a great position to recoup a big fee.  His contract (£12m fee / 3 years) will only be valued at £4m this summer in their accounts, and it will be probably be an opportunity to free up his wages.  They may of course decide to keep him, play him and hope he does well and they can offer a new contract (should City not exercise their option).  Ashley Williams wasn’t particularly complimentary about Stoke, and Benik was certainly open about how much he was enjoying here (you could read that as he wasn’t happy there!).  But then again they have a different manager these days.  Stoke nowhere near guaranteed to be in the Champ next season either.

Lots of factors.  Would be brill if he makes it back with us, shows us he’s worth buying, and we go from there.

I assume we would have paid a loan fee which reduces the cost of transfer ?

In terms of Stoke, the fans had turned on him there and it was a bit toxic under the manager at that time so I would be surprised if he wanted to go back.

3 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

In terms of Stoke, the fans had turned on him there and it was a bit toxic under the manager at that time so I would be surprised if he wanted to go back.

Mark Ashton stated yesterday at the Senior Reds that we do not pay loan fees.

• Thanks 2

5 hours ago, Agard Days Night said:

Kasey Palmer?

You've obviously missed the otib memo that he's crap because he doesn't score loads of goals or always turn the game on it's head when he comes on for 15 minutes and is bypassed by balls to Fam.

7 minutes ago, Redtucks said:

That’s really interesting, I just assumed all clubs did these days. Chelsea run their loan players almost as a separate money-making business, sending out around 40 players each season and watching the dosh roll in. It was reported Swansea paid an extortionate amount to have Tammy on loan for the season after he left us - presume we didn’t pay a loan fee to Chelsea from what you’ve said. It’s all interesting behind the scenes! 

• Like 1

While the heart certainly wants him back I wonder if he still an option with signing  Of NW. 

Are they similar players, same style and mould. I for one would love to see a fit BA back here but would be cautious about expectations on that one. 

3 hours ago, bris red said:

We all know how difficult it is to bring strikers in at this level. IF we are a championship club again next season and Benik can prove his fitness its a no brainer for me. A strikeforce of Wells,Famara,Weimann and Afobe is the sort of strength and depth you need at this level if you want to seriously challenge over the course of a season.

Agreed. Though I think there will be some big interest in Fam in the summer and we’ll do well to keep him. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

That’s really interesting, I just assumed all clubs did these days. Chelsea run their loan players almost as a separate money-making business, sending out around 40 players each season and watching the dosh roll in. It was reported Swansea paid an extortionate amount to have Tammy on loan for the season after he left us - presume we didn’t pay a loan fee to Chelsea from what you’ve said. It’s all interesting behind the scenes! 

Very true!

Yet we have so many "experts" on here who know nothing of what happens behind the scenes, but who criticise team selections, last Saturday for instance, but have no idea of illnesses, mental states, family problems or a multitude of other problems that players may be suffering.

We all see the players once a week or once a fortnight and think we know better than the owner, the head coach, the CEO or any of the players.

That's why we must remember that we are just fans.

We are entitled to an opinion, but very often that opinion is based on very little actual knowledge.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4

34 minutes ago, Redtucks said:

We pay a decent chunk in add ons/wages though!

The Sun says that the Robins will be hit with a fine for up to £300,000 because head coach Lee Johnson has not been picking on-loan winger Ryan Kent in City's recent matchday squads.

When the Robins won the race for Kent's signature in January, it is believed that several financial clauses were inserted into the deal to penalise City should they later not play Kent.

Edited by petehinton

41 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

Yep, exactly that according to Kid.

37 minutes ago, Redtucks said:

I don’t believe him.  What was the exact question that he was answering?

28 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Indeed.  Would you loan a £12m asset (albeit £8m In Stoke’s books at the point of loan to us), and City just cover some of all of the wages?

I accept in some cases you might, but I think highly unlikely in this case.

MacAnthony (Peterboro) and Holt (Accrington) regularly moan about loan fees from Champ / Prem clubs.

Edited by Davefevs
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I play football right now with no ACL in my left knee. Have to stay in pretty good shape to do that though and keep the muscles around I t built up. 

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, BCFC Richard said:

I play football right now with no ACL in my left knee. Have to stay in pretty good shape to do that though and keep the muscles around I t built up. 

I know very little about this sort of thing, how does the muscle build up compensate for the lack of ACL? I'm not 100% sure on what movement the ACL is involved in.

3 hours ago, petehinton said:

We pay a decent chunk in add ons/wages though!

The Sun says that the Robins will be hit with a fine for up to £300,000 because head coach Lee Johnson has not been picking on-loan winger Ryan Kent in City's recent matchday squads.

When the Robins won the race for Kent's signature in January, it is believed that several financial clauses were inserted into the deal to penalise City should they later not play Kent.

....and were we????

:dunno:

Providing he comes back from his injury with no further issues, then it’s a no brainer. He is proven quality and also a big character!

You need players of Benik’s personality in your dressing room. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Yep, exactly that according to Kid.

I don’t believe him.  What was the exact question that he was answering?

Indeed.  Would you loan a £12m asset (albeit £8m In Stoke’s books at the point of loan to us), and City just cover some of all of the wages?

I accept in some cases you might, but I think highly unlikely in this case.

MacAnthony (Peterboro) and Holt (Accrington) regularly moan about loan fees from Champ / Prem clubs.

I honestly can't remember exactly.

He answered a hell of a lot of questions, in particular as to how/who decides what is wanted, how they are identified, the fact that we are very often running with four possibilities at the same time for one signing.

He mentioned that some clubs pay all of a loan players wages, some pay only a part. It's dependent on the reason the loan has been arranged, i.e. for whose benefit. It was at that point that he said that we do not pay a fee to loan players.

Edited by Redtucks
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, redsince1994 said:

I know very little about this sort of thing, how does the muscle build up compensate for the lack of ACL? I'm not 100% sure on what movement the ACL is involved in.

The ACL is there to stabilise the knee when you over exert the muscles. The best way it was described to me was - think of it like a piece of elastic that hold the joint together when the muscles can't. You don't actually need the ACL if you don't over exert the muscles around the knee - therefore if you keep the muscles built up enough they should always be strong enough to handle the strain. 

11 minutes ago, BCFC Richard said:

The ACL is there to stabilise the knee when you over exert the muscles. The best way it was described to me was - think of it like a piece of elastic that hold the joint together when the muscles can't. You don't actually need the ACL if you don't over exert the muscles around the knee - therefore if you keep the muscles built up enough they should always be strong enough to handle the strain. 

Ah I understand now. I'm guessing if you were to over exert one of the muscles around the knee the results would be pretty severe, making the ACL removal a calculated risk?

14 minutes ago, BCFC Richard said:

2 minutes ago, redsince1994 said:

Ah I understand now. I'm guessing if you were to over exert one of the muscles around the knee the results would be pretty severe, making the ACL removal a calculated risk?

Exactly. The ligament allows for additional flexibility. 
The situation someone mentioned earlier regarding some rugby players playing without an ACL is one where the player would often be expected to run in quite straight lines, and rarely would a rugby player be at a full pace sprint and need to twist quickly to change direction. 
Similarly with our poster Richard above - without making too many assumptions, my guess would be that high-twitch movement is still not probable, and at the level you possibly play, you’d not necessarily be competing at a pace and speed as a pro would. 

The necessity for Afobe to twist, turn, change direction etc at high speed, plant a foot and spin the other way to create space etc, is what would make it much more difficult for a pro-footballer to play without an ACL - range of movement at high speed would be very very limited. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, redsince1994 said:

Well in my case it's not actually removed just snapped in two from the original injury - at the time I did it I couldn't get/afford the operation to repair it. So I guess I technically still have it its just completely useless. 

I have at various points in my life been less in shape and over exerted the knee and it's incredibly painful, you can feel bones grind 😬. It then swells up ridiculously and takes a month or so to recover. 

2 minutes ago, BCFC Richard said:

Well in my case it's not actually removed just snapped in two from the original injury - at the time I did it I couldn't get/afford the operation to repair it. So I guess I technically still have it its just completely useless. 

I have at various points in my life been less in shape and over exerted the knee and it's incredibly painful, you can feel bones grind 😬. It then swells up ridiculously and takes a month or so to recover. 

That sounds delightful! I have experienced that sensation once when having a broken clavicle reset. No wish to repeat it any time soon!

3 minutes ago, Harry said:

Exactly. The ligament allows for additional flexibility. 
The situation someone mentioned earlier regarding some rugby players playing without an ACL is one where the player would often be expected to run in quite straight lines, and rarely would a rugby player be at a full pace sprint and need to twist quickly to change direction. 
Similarly with our poster Richard above - without making too many assumptions, my guess would be that high-twitch movement is still not probable, and at the level you possibly play, you’d not necessarily be competing at a pace and speed as a pro would. 

The necessity for Afobe to twist, turn, change direction etc at high speed, plant a foot and spin the other way to create space etc, is what would make it much more difficult for a pro-footballer to play without an ACL - range of movement at high speed would be very very limited. 

Yeah I'm not at pro level in any respect! 😂 Fitness, skill, pace, power. I would think if you were at that level you would bd find dojng all those actions but twisting, pivoting, spinning etc would be slower as you need to build up muscles that are often not that delveoped and that makes everything a bit tighter and less flexible. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BCFC Richard said:

It is not unusual to damage cartilage when you rupture you’re ACL.  I has 2/3rds of mine taken out when I had my ACL rupture repaired (using Patella Tendon).  It’s why I get fluid on it if I do anything strenuous.  My my knee itself is stable.

I can only assume from Benik’s rehab (and timing) that he’s kept his cartilage in tact....hopefully a positive that he can come back fully.

It all depends on which treatment he had.

1) Remove damaged Anterior Cruciate Ligament and replace with patella tendon. Can also be done with partial strands of hamstring tendon (not usually in a pro athlete). I'm regularly involved in the procedure in my work, so I have been involved in this op many times.

The damaged tissue is removed completely , and a new tendon is removed from the patients own body, cleaned,and then surgically attached by metal screws into the 'thick' parts of both bones above and below the patella on the replacement side. This usually takes 12 months to take, renew the muscle wastage and allow the new tissue to fully bind into that area. Fluid build-up is common and often require surgical drainage. You have to understand that the red marrow of long bones produces our red blood cells, and these screws are inserted very near to this marrow - hence the swelling problem.Human bodies use protein to repair wounds, and protein binds easily to H2O and draws fluid to the area. Clotting (also involved in the healing process) involves RBC's  to create a 'web' around the area, so as the screws go into the exact spot where some of our RBC's are produced, you get extra swelling potential from that as well. The recovery by default HAS to be very conservative, as it can be delayed very quickly and for a long period of time if you rush it.

An infection is career and even joint threatening.

Looking at the picture above, he is nowhere near a chance of playing this year. He is braced into position via hand grip and back support to prevent 'lateral slide' pressure on the knee - ie the new "acl".  He will be able to jog/ light run in a straight line at best. He is still at the extra muscle building stage.

Next step will be the beginning of sideways movement at very very low speed and angle.

If that's the op he had, he is no chance for this season, unless the club/player agree to take an incredible risk. Sideways rotation and hard contact - that tendon will shread like wet paper,and both parties will know that.It's just too soon.

2) As above, but using an artificial graft (LARS). Straight swap, no loss of body tissue except the buggered acl - usually good to go in 6-8 months full contact. Has a very short lifespan though at professional sports with contact patients - it sometimes goes within minutes, although I have seen AFL players play within 6 months for the rest if their career after a LARS repair - it's a crapshoot tbh.

Looking at what he is doing, it would appear to be option 1.  He won't be taking any part in anything until next year, unless he wants to put his entire career in jeopardy.

Sorry Guys - it ain't happening!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, SX227 said:

1) Remove damaged Anterior Cruciate Ligament and replace with patella tendon. Can also be done with partial strands of hamstring tendon (not usually in a pro athlete). I'm regularly involved in the procedure in my work, so I have been involved in this op many times.

The damaged tissue is removed completely , and a new tendon is removed from the patients own body, cleaned,and then surgically attached by metal screws into the 'thick' parts of both bones above and below the patella on the replacement side. This usually takes 12 months to take, renew the muscle wastage and allow the new tissue to fully bind into that area. Fluid build-up is common and often require surgical drainage. You have to understand that the red marrow of long bones produces our red blood cells, and these screws are inserted very near to this marrow - hence the swelling problem.Human bodies use protein to repair wounds, and protein binds easily to H2O and draws fluid to the area. Clotting (also involved in the healing process) involves RBC's  to create a 'web' around the area, so as the screws go into the exact spot where some of our RBC's are produced, you get extra swelling potential from that as well. The recovery by default HAS to be very conservative, as it can be delayed very quickly and for a long period of time if you rush it.

Looking at the picture above, he is nowhere near a chance of playing this year. He is braced into position via hand grip and back support to prevent 'lateral slide' pressure on the knee - ie the new "acl".  He will be able to jog/ light run in a straight line at best. He is still at the extra muscle building stage.

Next step will be the beginning of sideways movement at very very low speed and angle.

If that's the op he had, he is no chance for this season, unless the club/player agree to take an incredible risk. Sideways rotation and hard contact - that tendon will shread like wet paper,and both parties will know that.It's just too soon.

2) As above, but using an artificial graft (LARS). Straight swap, no loss of body tissue except the buggered acl - usually good to go in 6-8 months full contact. Has a very short lifespan though at professional sports with contact patients - it sometimes goes within minutes, although I have seen AFL players play within 6 months for the rest if their career after a LARS repair - it's a crapshoot tbh.

Looking at what he is doing, it would appear to be option 1.  He won't be taking any part in anything until next year, unless he wants to put his entire career in jeopardy.

I do enjoy it when we stumble across an expert! Cheers. 

(Edit. This sounds sarcastic. It isn’t!)

Edited by Fordy62
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, SX227 said:

Great post, it sounds like it would of been a tricky operation for any one with such an injury. It’s great to see a post that offers true  and detailed information. 

Lets up though he does get chance to play near the end of this season. Or if not wouldn’t it be great to see him jog around the ground (maybe before a play off game ) in front of over 30,000.00 City fans. The reception he will receive would not want to be missed by any of us. 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, SX227 said:

Humans are so clever! It astounds me some of the things they do in the medical profession. Stents are another thing that blow my mind.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, SX227 said:

I was about to post exactly the same thing... honest 

• Haha 5

20 hours ago, Redtucks said:

last Saturday for instance, but have no idea of illnesses, mental states, family problems or a multitude of other problems that players may be suffering.

Three teams will prevail in the end though, and claim promotion, and we will have no idea whether they too had "illness, mental states, family problems" or a "multitude of other problems" to deal with, like we may or may not be dealing with.

The likelihood is that Bristol City are not alone in having things to deal with with their playing staff, on and off the pitch. This is why you have a manager (or, multiple staff), to "manage" problems.

7 hours ago, SX227 said:

I had the first option together with tidying my damaged cartilage.  I was told 9/12 months, if I was a pro 6/9 months.  I was ahead of schedule until fluid problems occurred.  I lost little to no muscle (obviously not as defined as Benik’s!!) until fluid stopped me working on them.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

Three teams will prevail in the end though, and claim promotion, and we will have no idea whether they too had "illness, mental states, family problems" or a "multitude of other problems" to deal with, like we may or may not be dealing with.

The likelihood is that Bristol City are not alone in having things to deal with with their playing staff, on and off the pitch. This is why you have a manager (or, multiple staff), to "manage" problems.

Exactly!!!

It just confirms my point that the people making comments such as, "he doesn't know what he's doing!", "why has he left xxxxx out?" and "he's clueless!" are very often the ones that are clueless.

• Like 1