IGNORED

Pereira, what’s the situation ?

Major Isewater

Rumour of a €6m option to buy.

Sounds a lot, but he’s only 22 and hopefully gonna get better.

If it were me, I’d be looking elsewhere (for next season), and unless a good alternative is available at the right price, I would extend Korey Smith and have him as Hunt’s deputy / rotation.  Think it could extend his career.

Of course Pereira might feature heavily in these last 13 games and really make signing him a no-brainer.  I do think he’s good, just not €6m good...at this point.

44 minutes ago, phantom said:

Part of the problem LJ never settles on a regular right/ formation so none of our players in this position get a decent run to gain form and confidence 

Fake news.  How can you say that ‘none of our players get a decent run in this position’ when Jack Hunt has been playing there almost all season?  

8 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

I think Perreira has real promise but it all comes down to cost. At £6M it's a no, but at £2M it would be a definite yes. I think we may end up pig sick when in 2-3 years he's the established right back for Portugal. 

I agree....think €6m seems a lot at this point in time.  

43 minutes ago, grifty said:

I like him a lot but in fairness to Hunt who isn’t great, just solid, every time I think LJ is going to swap them, Hunt bangs in a game where he gets 2 assists and we keep a clean sheet.

I think Hunt has to be the least solid RB we've had in a long time! 

Overall I rate Pereira higher than Hunt. Especially when you consider his age and it being his first season of championship football.

I'd take him in the summer for sure. But maybe we are looking elsewhere.

Korey at right back for me has often looked better than what we've ever had there to be fair.

Never really understood people not agreeing with my view of korey at right back. He hasn't played there loads, but whenever he does he is usually one of our best players.

He isn't one of those few and far between players that you watch for 20 minutes and think "this lad is a bit special" such as Caulker or Andy Cole. But from the little I've seen he seems a very competent right back for his age and technically very good, there could be a lot more to come from him. But if it is 6m euros its a bit too steep at this time imo. Too risky at that cost. If it were 2m then bite their hand off.

I still haven't got over the club letting Pisano go - proper right back.

• Admin
1 hour ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Fake news.  How can you say that ‘none of our players get a decent run in this position’ when Jack Hunt has been playing there almost all season?  

OK, @The Dolman Pragmatist let's throw some facts into this

Jack Hunt has currently played 2,023 minutes this season

Pedro Pereira (who this thread is about) has currently played 1,009 minutes this season 

That is before we add in playing three at the back etc. . .

IF it was just the two of them that played right back this season, for every THREE games, Hunt plays TWO, PEREIRA plays ONE

14 minutes ago, phantom said:

OK, @The Dolman Pragmatist let's throw some facts into this

Jack Hunt has currently played 2,023 minutes this season

Pedro Pereira (who this thread is about) has currently played 1,009 minutes this season 

That is before we add in playing three at the back etc. . .

IF it was just the two of them that played right back this season, for every THREE games, Hunt plays TWO, PEREIRA plays ONE

That sounds like good use of the squad and a rotation policy that keeps both fit and healthy.

The first choice has played 2/3rds of games. The backup has played 1/3rd of games.

Edit - especially so, since we expect the full backs to be attacking & defending, so potentially cover more ground (and thus tire more) than those in other positions. 

2 hours ago, phantom said:

Part of the problem LJ never settles on a regular right/ formation so none of our players in this position get a decent run to gain form and confidence 

That could be down to LJ worrying about the opposition too much. 

4 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I agree....think €6m seems a lot at this point in time.  

One would presume that just because there's an option to purchase for €6m, that doesn't necessarily mean that is the price he would have to be transferred for.

Nothing preventing us from declining the option and making a lower bid.

Of course that would then open the door for other suitors.

6 hours ago, grifty said:

I like him a lot but in fairness to Hunt who isn’t great, just solid, every time I think LJ is going to swap them, Hunt bangs in a game where he gets 2 assists and we keep a clean sheet.

I'm baffled when you say Hunt isn't great when he is one of our most potent attacking threats, going past people and providing the assists for goals that have got us important victories especially away. He is a rugged player who has shown more than once that he won't be pushed around or intimidated by the opposition. Exactly what we need more of across the team.

Archived