IGNORED

Weight lifting / bodybuilding thread

reddogkev

• Admin
6 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

You can buy a dehydrator for £30 off amazon, marinade some topside & make Beef jerky. 

Other than that you can pick up a kilo of frozen chicken breasts at any supermarket for £4. Cook a pack and keep them in the fridge. Good value. 

I have got a dehydrator, I have made jerky, dried fruit and all sorts of other stuff, like wild mushrooms - picked several basketfuls when they were in season.  Easy to do and much cheaper than buying it.  I also use any cheap meat I can get to dry out and make dog treats for the dogs.

Personally when I am trying to reduce body fat, I tend to avoid snacking, but when not, stick to nuts, jerky/biltong and homemade hummus with veg crudités.

8 hours ago, Fordy62 said:

You can buy a dehydrator for £30 off amazon, marinade some topside & make Beef jerky. 

Other than that you can pick up a kilo of frozen chicken breasts at any supermarket for £4. Cook a pack and keep them in the fridge. Good value. 

Thanks for that, love that idea as I love (good) jerky. The biltong I like is about £45/kg !

I found a couple of Sonny Webster programs that I jotted down when I had a membership on his portal, happy to share if anyone wants them. They are more Olympic Lifting focused, one's specifically a Snatch program and the other is a more general 40 day strength program

On a tangent, anyone got any podcasts they listen to that they want to share.

2 of my favourites are more Crossfit (ones a CF coach, the other is 2 guys who used to compete and own their own gym) orientated but generally cover all areas of fitness and mindset. The CF coach is Chasing Excellence Ben Bergeron and the other one is Mind Muscle Project. They have a weekly long episode with a guest talking about various topics and then a shorter "after show" which is a bit of a chat, Q&A from listerners and a Netflix documentary review.

Ben Coomber is quite good for shorter times, usually 15 mins or so on his non-guest episodes. Quite heavily sponsored though which can be a bit annoying after a few listens.

Recently listened to a few interviews with Ross Edgley who did the swim around the UK as well as other things. He tends to talk about the same things in each interview he does but his one with Rangan Chatterjee is very good if you're interested in mindset and endurance events.

• Admin

So my return to the gym has been thwarted by a bug from foreign climes.  I no longer have any weights, benches etc at home, so  its going to be cycling, resistance bands and self weight resistance exercises....... or should I just eat, drink and be merry until I know the outcome of this virus and its affects on society......

20 hours ago, Maesknoll Red said:

So my return to the gym has been thwarted by a bug from foreign climes.  I no longer have any weights, benches etc at home, so  its going to be cycling, resistance bands and self weight resistance exercises....... or should I just eat, drink and be merry until I know the outcome of this virus and its affects on society......

If you have a park in walking distance it's still recommended to walk/jog/run as long as you keep your distance. In the event of any lockdown that may not last but it should be worth confirming if exercise for physical / mental health would be acceptable.

20 hours ago, Maesknoll Red said:

Are Gym's still open? 

• Admin
13 minutes ago, sephjnr said:

If you have a park in walking distance it's still recommended to walk/jog/run as long as you keep your distance. In the event of any lockdown that may not last but it should be worth confirming if exercise for physical / mental health would be acceptable.

Luckily my house backs onto miles of open countryside and its so wet even the cows aren't out in the fields, so total seclusion.

How's everyone getting on with having to work out at home? 

I'd started going out running again to get a bit of cardio in, but looks like that will be stopping from tomorrow with outdoor exercise being banned.  Have been running twice a week, then doing Joe Wicks HIIT stuff (not his PE ones, the ones from his 90 day program) 2 or 3 times.

Definitely feeling fitter, but with the increase in alcohol intake over the past 3 weeks since self-isolation started, I haven't lost any weight!

• Admin
6 hours ago, SuperDziek said:

How's everyone getting on with having to work out at home? 

I'd started going out running again to get a bit of cardio in, but looks like that will be stopping from tomorrow with outdoor exercise being banned.  Have been running twice a week, then doing Joe Wicks HIIT stuff (not his PE ones, the ones from his 90 day program) 2 or 3 times.

Definitely feeling fitter, but with the increase in alcohol intake over the past 3 weeks since self-isolation started, I haven't lost any weight!

Working at home every day isn’t helping..... too much coffee and my home office is next to the kitchen, so too many visits to the fridge...... and then in the evening a few drinks to counter the effects of the coffee.  Might have to have a review of that regime tomorrow and get some will power back ?

Archived