IGNORED

Bristol City v West Bromwich Albion Match Day 34

Septic Peg

WBA were clearly the better side, but I thought we were poor today. We contained them fairly well up until the first goal, but we couldn’t keep hold of the ball and offered little attacking theat. 

It’s really frustrating to concede goals from silly errors, though. Time after time we lose the ball when trying to play it out from the back, yet we keep doing it. 

50 minutes ago, Highguy said:

He was thinking head it home keep possession and try get bentley to launch an attack he misjudged a header wasnt the best conditions which you have bare in mind he made a mistake it wasnt his fault we lost thought williams was good today apart from the header 

Fair play. You ever heard of a comma or full stop chap? 

Just seen it back. Not sure that warranted a red card tbh. Yes you shouldn't touch an opponent blah blah (not sure if Paterson was in any danger of dying of strangulation, unlikely) . But a red card, seriously?   :laugh:

Ref should say handbags, nothing to see, let's play football, and not a ******* 5 minute hold up for this? Really worried about what football is coming to sometimes.

You may well not agree , but Sawyers was pretty unlucky, if you ask me.

17 hours ago, Andy082005 said:

Genuine question....what makes this a decent performance for you?

A fair question which I'd not spotted until this morning Andy. On reflection I initially enjoyed the contest between an obviously superior side and a City team full of talented players trying to find their feet. Nagy is like a new player (not in a good way as it turned out!) we've got a bunch of new signings and although it was a bit like a cup game against a side from a higher division - as someone else pointed out - it was contest, tight but a bit of a chess match. I can enjoy that.

But once we went behind heads dropped...all the confidence seemed to drain out of the players. Whatever structure our play had had simply drifted away. We appeared to change nothing at half time. Threw on a bunch of attacking subs. Played like a side chasing a lost cup tie.

I enjoy a contest. I don't mind us being a poorer side but do expect a plan to unlock the opposition. We have the players to compete, hence our decent league position, but they looked lost yesterday. To compete effectively we need a top drawer coaching staff, not what we have now. 

16 hours ago, bcfcnick said:

Main pointers for me:-

I thought Paterson was outstanding when he came on.

one of our most technical players.  Was poor v Leeds last week (as were most) so an easy option for Lee to consider dropping.  His recent performances may have warranted being allowed one bad game before being dropped.  But consistent selection strategy isn’t something we see.

We need to drop the players who lose possession too easily in dangerous areas and make sloppy errors.

We need a spine of tough players coupled with good technical players, preferably they are the same player!!!

I'd like to see  Maenpaa in for Bentley. Maenpaa is more solid and was superb when given a run before injury.  Bentley can be a class act but it's time for Maenpaa to be given a chance again. He seemed to organise his defence well in his last run in the side.

Real tough one this.  Bentley has been very good this season, but I do feel that he doesn’t give as much confidence when the ball is in the box as Mäenpää does.  Niki is calm, I think our defence needs that at the mo’.  There was one cross that came in yesterday towards the back post.  It was there for Bents to take, but he just watched.  West Brom defender should’ve done better with his volley that we cleared away for a corner, that led to a succession of corners, that led  to West Brom taking a stranglehold on the game.  Little things like that are beginning to frustrate me.  He did come and punch a few yesterday though.

Kalas should in for Williams.

If fit enough to start v Leeds (even if illness of others led to his selection) and has had no post-match niggles, he must start v Huddersfield.

A fit Korey Smith needs to play Instead of Adam Nagy who is either unfit or can't cope with the pace of the championship.  We should have recalled Joe Morrell given the midfield is weak.

Nagy did some nice things yesterday, but too often he got played around or muscled off it.  Suspect Smith had his knee drained, so hopefully will be back for Tuesday.  I’ll say it again (and I rate Nagy) but when Smith ain’t playing, you see what’re brings when he does.

Eliasson is a talent but seems as if he is playing to avoid injury before his anticipated move.  Needs to show more desire or drop to the bench.

He’s beginning to become a worry for me.  We are going to need a change of contract strategy for those players we let go into their final year with an option to extend.  It’s creating issues.
Paterson showed that desire.

see response higher up.

Maybe time for Palmer to link up with Wells - if he is going to play he has to play well up the pitch as he is another that concedes possession too much.  Don't mind seeing that when trying something special in the final third but too often he does that in the middle of the pitch.

Worrying yesterday that Wells ended up in midfield.  I suspect we will see wholesale changes for Tuesday, see a reaction and everyone will thinks it’s hunky-dory.  I will be challenging why it’s took wholesale changes!!

Yes Jack Hunt can drive forward at times when given space, but in tight areas he panics and loses possession more often than not. If Morrell had been recalled then Korey Smith would be an option for right back and would probably be the best option if fit.

Been saying this for a couple of weeks.  Might extend Korey’s career, and that’s not a sentimental reason, he’s a good player.  Thought Hunt was decent yesterday....probably my City MOTM until Pato came on.  That’s a bad reflection on others!

I don't know if it is how we are set up or just down to poor footballing ability, but players such as Nagy and Hunt just concede possession far too easily.  There seems to be no rhythm or composure to our game and it's painful and frustrating to watch.

I think a lot is because of lack of movement in front / around them.  Touchline huggers in front of you makes it very easy for the opposition to close that pass option off.  If, for example, Eliasson / COD dragged the LB infield, it gives Hunt space to come forward, or clip one into the channel for someone like Wells, Weimann to spin into it.  If the LB doesn’t track our winger, then you pass to them.  I know that’s over-simplifying it, but those are the basics of it.  One run to receive or create space for someone else.

Nice post - comments above ⬆️⬆️⬆️

finally.....unpopular opinion - Weimann makes great runs (he doesn’t just run about).  His movement was top-notch yesterday.  I gave up watching the game in real earnest and watched him.  A lesson to our other players about how you drag your full-back around.

16 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Nice post - comments above ⬆️⬆️⬆️

finally.....unpopular opinion - Weimann makes great runs (he doesn’t just run about).  His movement was top-notch yesterday.  I gave up watching the game in real earnest and watched him.  A lesson to our other players about how you drag your full-back around.

that's not an unpopular opinion with me! Weimann is a model pro and very good at what he is good at. We have a fine collection of such players, with the recent addition of 3 more. The secret is to make the whole better than the sum of the parts...

18 hours ago, One Team In Keynsham said:

Just back home. Utter shite, but I genuinely have stopped caring.

Fear your not the only one, a few years ago I would have left the ground gutted, yesterday as I had half expected we were crap and I just felt mildly pissed off that I had wasted £37, I will bet a lot of people are getting like us, think they will get a shock when it comes to counting up season ticket renewals.

some good comments and @Davefevs and @bcfcnick I agree with pretty much all of the posts. 
A point I have to comment on, and have started several times before deleting them. I think it is time for Maenpaa to get a run in the side . My mate is very down anti Bentley, and for a while I have tried to support and defend him. His handling has been suspect since he came here, and from someone with his build/stature is disappointing. The number of times he has pushed balls he should be catching, patted balls down in the area is beyond a joke, and that spill yesterday ??? There is a lot to like about him, but I think we would be more secure with Maenpaa , who I would have been happy starting the season with. 

Archived