IGNORED

Fighting outside Dolman?

Henry

8 minutes ago, shelts said:

Trouble outside the Spanish bar and up the road. Horses and dogs and policeman!!

I was waiting outside Aldi for the bus, there wasn’t any trouble, the mounted police were just trying to divert the West Brom fans down Greenway Bush Lane. Couldn’t see what was going on down by the Spanish Bar

2 hours ago, Lympsham Red said:

It's times like this I wish football fans were more like rugby fans.

I don’t. I’ve caught the train home tonight with football fans and all is quiet. Same journey with rugger buggers and there is stamping, hitting windows and other general symptoms of being a manual manipulator that cannot hold their cider.

50 minutes ago, OddBallJim said:

The most trouble I've ever seen at a rugby match was a group of lads arguing about who's round it was, and who was going to get those 2 pint jugs refilled?

So many morons at football. They let the rest of us, and our club down. 

Jim, you’ve obviously led a very sheltered life with regards to violence at rugby matches. Here are just 3 examples at Ashton Gate.  

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/bristol-news/video-emerges-rugby-fan-punching-2683063.amp

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/bristol-news/students-rugby-brawl-were-like-16804.amp

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.telegraph.co.uk/rugby-union/2016/09/26/friday-night-crowd-fracas-at-bristol-is-latest-example-of-rugbys/amp/

I get that this is a football forum, and that we are necessarily competitive with rugby fans. We think they’re posh passionless toffs, they think we’re common Neanderthals. I get it. 

but let’s focus on the facts. As a whole, There’s a lot less trouble at rugby than at football. Look at the intro to one of the articles linked above: “Has it really come to this – a punch-up between fans at a rugby match? Not in all my years covering the game have I heard of such an incident.“

(Sorry off formatting, am on my phone.)

there just isn’t the level of anger at rugby there is at football. Bristol and bar grand sit side by side cheering - can you imagine that with us and the gas? Hell no. 

2 minutes ago, City Ben said:

I get that this is a football forum, and that we are necessarily competitive with rugby fans. We think they’re posh passionless toffs, they think we’re common Neanderthals. I get it. 

but let’s focus on the facts. As a whole, There’s a lot less trouble at rugby than at football. Look at the intro to one of the articles linked above: “Has it really come to this – a punch-up between fans at a rugby match? Not in all my years covering the game have I heard of such an incident.“

(Sorry off formatting, am on my phone.)

there just isn’t the level of anger at rugby there is at football. Bristol and bar grand sit side by side cheering - can you imagine that with us and the gas? Hell no. 

Whats your point? 

2 minutes ago, Ecko said:

Whats your point? 

Well I guess Just to say that the comments on here about violence at rugby may be right highlighting individual incidents, but aren’t right overall. Football has more of a problem and we are kidding ourselves if we don’t recognize that. 

5 hours ago, pl00peh91 said:

Saw something kicking off near KFC, some guy was giving it large and someone was trying to put him in a black van it was all very bizarre 

it was nuts, one guy (late 20s) jumped out of a van and tried to fight any City fan who wanted a pop. At one stage he was trading punches with 4 or 5. The an older guy (50s), jumped out the van and dragged him in. The older guy had to speed off as the younger guy was trying to get out the van to start fighting again. Later I saw the van pulled over by ASDA Bemmy and Old Bill nicking the younger guy who they had kneeling in the street. Either he is the new Tyson Fury or he has a screw loose as he really wanted to fight the world.

1 hour ago, City Ben said:

Well I guess Just to say that the comments on here about violence at rugby may be right highlighting individual incidents, but aren’t right overall. Football has more of a problem and we are kidding ourselves if we don’t recognize that. 

It's just reported more at football in the press, trouble at rugby just generally gets swept under the carpet. That meat head who punched a women in the face at the Bristol rugby match was politely asked to leave and there was a small story about in the post. If that happened at football it would have been front page news all over the country and the fan would probably be in prison now. 

17 minutes ago, sglosbcfc said:

it was nuts, one guy (late 20s) jumped out of a van and tried to fight any City fan who wanted a pop. At one stage he was trading punches with 4 or 5. The an older guy (50s), jumped out the van and dragged him in. The older guy had to speed off as the younger guy was trying to get out the van to start fighting again. Later I saw the van pulled over by ASDA Bemmy and Old Bill nicking the younger guy who they had kneeling in the street. Either he is the new Tyson Fury or he has a screw loose as he really wanted to fight the world.

Looked like he’d lost his shirt?

2 hours ago, Packman said:

It's just reported more at football in the press, trouble at rugby just generally gets swept under the carpet. That meat head who punched a women in the face at the Bristol rugby match was politely asked to leave and there was a small story about in the post. If that happened at football it would have been front page news all over the country and the fan would probably be in prison now. 

This is just made up BS.

It wasn't a meat head who punched the mother, it was a middle/aging Worcester supporter who was annoyed at her kids for waving Bristol flags in the seats in front. He was well out of line and she came over to tell him as such and got hit. I believe she also may have landed one in retaliation, certainly didn't back down anyway. The guy has been banned for life from both Sixways and Ashton Gate AFAIK. Very weird incident.

I don't know if any charges were brought, better ask the OB they might know. Wasn't tribalism/rivalry just an angry, lone man and could have happened anywhere really.

23 minutes ago, Rinkadink said:

This is just made up BS.

It wasn't a meat head who punched the mother, it was a middle/aging Worcester supporter who was annoyed at her kids for waving Bristol flags in the seats in front. He was well out of line and she came over to tell him as such and got hit. I believe she also may have landed one in retaliation, certainly didn't back down anyway. The guy has been banned for life from both Sixways and Ashton Gate AFAIK. Very weird incident.

I don't know if any charges were brought, better ask the OB they might know. Wasn't tribalism/rivalry just an angry, lone man and could have happened anywhere really.

Should get a prison sentence like he would at football. . I played 400 plus rugby games before I'm told I know jack shit. 

• Admin
14 hours ago, Henry said:

It was during the game, either fans broke the gates or the gates were left unlocked!

I'm pretty sure that the gates have to be left unlocked as they are needed to access the ground in an emergency 

13 hours ago, Redinthehead said:

All I saw were some West Brom fans who’d been celebrating down the steps getting pulled out and then our usual band of useless idiots rush to the first sign of trouble to try and start something.

Hopefully CCTV picked them up and then can be banned, otherwise we’ll never be able to have decent numbers of away fans.

Don't be over dramatic it was posturing at worst. Happens up and down the country at every game. 

What exactly do you want them banned for? 

12 hours ago, ZiderEyed said:

Rugby fans who cause on average more disorder than football fans?

It’s easy to make this comment and hoover up the likes, but - genuine question - where is the evidence to back up this claim?

People here can point to specific examples of rugby disorder of course, but unless anyone can point me to statistics backing up the claim that “rugby fans cause on average more disorder” I’m going to struggle to swallow that.

Put it another way; when Bristol play Bath without segregation it generally passes off without significant incident. Now imagine City v Rovers at Ashton Gate and imagine the carnage without segregation.

18 minutes ago, phantom said:

Don't be over dramatic it was posturing at worst. Happens up and down the country at every game. 

It was largely posturing but it was posturing on the basis of seeing a minor flashpoint and wanting to get involved - hoping it would kick off. It’s ridiculous, if you come to football to fight other people because they support another team then I think you’re a total disgrace and should take a serious look in the mirror.

Will they be banned? No

Is there anything in the current laws/rules that would see them banned? Probably not.

Should there be? In my eyes, yes.

• Admin
33 minutes ago, Redinthehead said:

It was largely posturing but it was posturing on the basis of seeing a minor flashpoint and wanting to get involved - hoping it would kick off. It’s ridiculous, if you come to football to fight other people because they support another team then I think you’re a total disgrace and should take a serious look in the mirror.

Will they be banned? No

Is there anything in the current laws/rules that would see them banned? Probably not.

Should there be? In my eyes, yes.

Fair enough you explained your point well, Oddly I thought that it actually livened the atmosphere up too

But I would say there's a big difference between posturing and actually fighting 

In my opinion the only person who will be in trouble is the lad that ran across the front of the stand, but fair play to the stewards there that stopped him getting to the WBA supporters 

1 minute ago, phantom said:

Fair enough you explained your point well, Oddly I thought that it actually livened the atmosphere up too

But I would say there's a big difference between posturing and actually fighting 

In my opinion the only person who will be in trouble is the lad that ran across the front of the stand, but fair play to the stewards there that stopped him ge to the WBA supporters 

I agree on the fighting/posturing point. The problem is that whilst it’s perfectly plausible that some people just enjoy the posturing, there are also some people who were getting involved with the hope it escalated further. 

1 hour ago, phantom said:

I'm pretty sure that the gates have to be left unlocked as they are needed to access the ground in an emergency 

Banned for fighting the police/resisting arrest please, within 6ft of my son in his wheelchair.

Banned for a very long time. 

2 hours ago, ChippenhamRed said:

It’s easy to make this comment and hoover up the likes, but - genuine question - where is the evidence to back up this claim?

People here can point to specific examples of rugby disorder of course, but unless anyone can point me to statistics backing up the claim that “rugby fans cause on average more disorder” I’m going to struggle to swallow that.

Put it another way; when Bristol play Bath without segregation it generally passes off without significant incident. Now imagine City v Rovers at Ashton Gate and imagine the carnage without segregation.

I think the point is that whilst incidents do happen at other sports (e.g. Rugby, horse racing and boxing), they get nothing like the same publicity as when something happens at football. Only a couple of weeks ago at the Scotland vs England rugby match a member of the England management team was hit by a beer bottle believed (at the time) to have been thrown by a Scotland supporter. Outside match reports and rugby specific press this received very little coverage in comparison whereas if it had happened at football this would have been headline news

Archived