IGNORED

Fighting outside Dolman?

Henry

8 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

Says further down he was sat in E32. Last time I looked that wasn’t the family section. Besides that, shouldn’t be in the home end anyway, and if you do, you keep your mouth shut. 
You do wonder if supporters realised he was a yam yam when he jumped up cheering when they scored.

6 minutes ago, GreedyHarry said:

Says further down he was sat in E32. Last time I looked that wasn’t the family section. Besides that, shouldn’t be in the home end anyway, and if you do, you keep your mouth shut. 
You do wonder if supporters realised he was a yam yam when he jumped up cheering when they scored.

Pretty sure that was the a few rows in front of me after they scored their 3rd goal.

The lad who was challenged looked older than 12, and to be fair, I didn't see them celebrating, but it wouldn't surprise me if those sitting closer to them heard 'positive noises' about them scoring.

They were foolish to go in the home end - if they couldn't get a ticket for the away end, accept that the game has sold old from your perspective. And even more foolish to make their allegiance known sitting in a home section. 

That said, it was all somewhat unnecessary.

1 hour ago, citysimmo said:

I think the point is that whilst incidents do happen at other sports (e.g. Rugby, horse racing and boxing), they get nothing like the same publicity as when something happens at football. Only a couple of weeks ago at the Scotland vs England rugby match a member of the England management team was hit by a beer bottle believed (at the time) to have been thrown by a Scotland supporter. Outside match reports and rugby specific press this received very little coverage in comparison whereas if it had happened at football this would have been headline news

I would agree with that point, but that’s not the point I was responding to. The claim was specifically that rugby fans cause more disorder than football. I think that’s a very dubious claim.

Anyone that thinks rugby fans cause more disorder than football fans must have been on another planet for the last 40 years, how often have English rugby fans caused havoc on the streets of Paris, Dublin etc ? You don't see rugby fans attacking rival fans pubs or mass brawls in city centres, never see rugby fans ripping up seats to throw at each other. I'm not saying all rugby fans are angels but to compare the two is ridiculous.

23 minutes ago, weepywall said:

Anyone that thinks rugby fans cause more disorder than football fans must have been on another planet for the last 40 years, how often have English rugby fans caused havoc on the streets of Paris, Dublin etc ? You don't see rugby fans attacking rival fans pubs or mass brawls in city centres, never see rugby fans ripping up seats to throw at each other. I'm not saying all rugby fans are angels but to compare the two is ridiculous.

One thing that has surprised me, is that those with a tribalist mentality who seem to enjoy mass brawls haven't gone to the rugby to engage in anti social behaviour.

Given there are fewer restrictions on alcohol and a completely different approach policing.

17 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

One thing that has surprised me, is that those with a tribalist mentality who seem to enjoy mass brawls haven't gone to the rugby to engage in anti social behaviour.

Given there are fewer restrictions on alcohol and a completely different approach policing.

Maybe because they don't expect anyone else to reciprocate. So less "fun"? 

Maybe. 

41 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

Rugby fans probably better educated in general, so don’t really go in for the mass brawling as much. 

• Admin
1 hour ago, weepywall said:

Rugby fans do cause problems in pubs, why do you think there's a real possibility card will be dry before rugby Internationals 

Have you been on a late train through Bath? 

Often see Bath and Exeter fans playing up on the train 

• Admin
1 minute ago, CotswoldRed said:

One lad about 17/18. Another chap the police were trying to pin to the floor. Both had arms flailing and resisting arrest. 

Just by the glass exit doors of the Dolman by the Atyeo. 

I don't mean to sound rude but how were these guys near your son? 

I thought you meant people wee play up near the disabled area 

1 minute ago, phantom said:

Rugby fans do cause problems in pubs, why do you think there's a real possibility card will be dry before rugby Internationals 

Have you been on a late train through Bath? 

Often see Bath and Exeter fans playing up on the train 

I'm not saying there isn't problems at rugby matches I'm saying its nowhere near the scale of trouble at football matches and yes i have been on plenty of late trains to Bath as I live there.

There is one possible flashpoint in the entire stadium, and not for the first time problems have arisen in that area.

I find it beyond belief that the club can’t once and for all solve this issue.

Put a physical barrier in place so that those ‘gesturing’ can’t actually see each other at pitch level.

Barrier off the first complete section top to bottom  in the Atyeo nearest the Dolman, as part of the stands reduced capacity.

Place netting across that lower Dolman section. (Lose perhaps 50-100 seats)

Add a line of Police / Stewards along the steps. (Oh dear that’s gonna cost)

Stop being reactive and become proactive to solving the issue.

I know WBA won easily, but if ever there was a case for standing home fans to occupy that area (the Atyeo stand,  named  after OUR greatest ever player)  to generate an atmosphere beneficial to the home team, the WBA fans showed how to do it.

Maybe controversial but I would give the away fans half the Dolman, nearest the Atyeo.

Not impossible to segregate, the worst seats and leg room in the stadium, easy to police the exit and on the side of the pitch not behind one goal.

It would require some investment in the concourse for football,  but not that difficult to do.

2 minutes ago, phantom said:

I don't mean to sound rude but how were these guys near your son? 

I thought you meant people wee play up near the disabled area 

We had just left through the glass doors. 

My son had to stop his chair to avoid the commotion landing on him. 

I'm not making this a disabled issue. I'm merely pointing out that if you act like a hooligan then vulnerable people are likely to be in your crossfire. 

18 hours ago, Packman said:

Like the one who punched that woman in the face who was stood with her child???

11 hours ago, Rinkadink said:

This is just made up BS.

It wasn't a meat head who punched the mother, it was a middle/aging Worcester supporter who was annoyed at her kids for waving Bristol flags in the seats in front. He was well out of line and she came over to tell him as such and got hit. I believe she also may have landed one in retaliation, certainly didn't back down anyway. The guy has been banned for life from both Sixways and Ashton Gate AFAIK. Very weird incident.

I don't know if any charges were brought, better ask the OB they might know. Wasn't tribalism/rivalry just an angry, lone man and could have happened anywhere really.

I mean no charges and minimal press coverage would have happened if it was a football fan.....

FFS last season someone got nicked for throwing an empty paper cup in the direction of away fans...... At a football match at Ashton Gate.

Was hardly minimal press coverage, a bottle got blown at the England coach in the storm and that was all over the national news. Who said anything about no charges? I know the police were investigating the Worcester guy as even Julie commented on here about it. 

There is a huge different in the type of violence between the two sports as well, especially at club level. You can't honestly downplay that. I go to both City and Bears matches and I don't see how anyone who attends both could argue it's the same. See City vs Swansea or Cardiff or whoever and compare to Bristol vs Barf or Gloucester... It's the very thing some people enjoy more about soccer vs union or league. Can't have it both ways.

7 hours ago, Redinthehead said:

It was largely posturing but it was posturing on the basis of seeing a minor flashpoint and wanting to get involved - hoping it would kick off. It’s ridiculous, if you come to football to fight other people because they support another team then I think you’re a total disgrace and should take a serious look in the mirror.

Will they be banned? No

Is there anything in the current laws/rules that would see them banned? Probably not.

Should there be? In my eyes, yes.

Primates are the most violent animals on the planet - and sadly we aren't as yet as civilized in the evolutionary sense as many may like to think...

A good read for those that enjoy a book is "The Naked Ape" by Desmond ( not Johnny! ) Morris....worth a look...

Don't know it was anything to do with the bang yesterday but for the Bears match today searches were stepped up. Bags were searched which I know is normal but a bit hit and miss, but everyone without fail had to open coats. I did ask what they were looking for in particular and was told 'anything really, especially aerosols'

Just back from leave, had a few text messages about yesterday but will update tomorrow once I get the full facts and figures 

I enclose an update from the recent qpr game which commented on fan behaviour, unfortunately some of the comments were not quite so grateful 

it is difficult to highlight good fan behaviour without sounding patronising, but something we are keen to do .

18D7DE31-E2AB-4FAC-82A8-9C62FA7AC530.png

2 hours ago, Rinkadink said:

Was hardly minimal press coverage, a bottle got blown at the England coach in the storm and that was all over the national news. Who said anything about no charges? I know the police were investigating the Worcester guy as even Julie commented on here about it. 

There is a huge different in the type of violence between the two sports as well, especially at club level. You can't honestly downplay that. I go to both City and Bears matches and I don't see how anyone who attends both could argue it's the same. See City vs Swansea or Cardiff or whoever and compare to Bristol vs Barf or Gloucester... It's the very thing some people enjoy more about soccer vs union or league. Can't have it both ways.

If the same happened at a football match there would be many asking for a custodial sentence without a doubt, the case would have been followed right up until the court date, and what punishment was dealt out. It would be all over the BP - that is a certainty.

Yes I know the incident was being investigated by the Police, so why hasn't there been an update? I will assume (maybe wrongly), that if charges were brought against the fan then you/we would have heard about it wouldn't we?

Maybe @JulieH can confirm what punishment the Rugby fan was given by the Police and/or courts?

Archived