Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

Robbored

They were better than us......

It’s that simple.

Sawyers and Livermore bossed the game against a desperately lightweight City midfield even tho we gifted all three goals they were the better team by quite a margin and highlighted just much City have to improve to reach the same standard.

I was particularly impressed with their pressing and also their fans who sang and chanted for the entire match.

So......zero points from the two matches against the best teams in the Championship............:dunno:

3 minutes ago, Robbored said:

It’s that simple.

Sawyers and Livermore bossed the game against a desperately lightweight City midfield even tho we gifted all three goals they were the better team by quite a margin and highlighted just much City have to improve to reach the same standard.

I was particularly impressed with their pressing and also their fans who sang and chanted for the entire match.

So......zero points from the two matches against the best teams in the Championship............:dunno:

We didn't even compete. Our midfield is as weak and clueless now as it was 4 years ago. 

The coaches and 'Head Coach' are quite simply....not good enough 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2
  • Aubergine 1

2 minutes ago, Andy082005 said:

We didn't even compete. Our midfield is as weak and clueless now as it was 4 years ago. 

Yep agree we were weak after the first goal but I did think the first 30 mins we more than competed, had a good shape and quite a bit of possession and it was actually a really tasty enjoyable game to watch

we fell apart after the first goal

• Like 10

1 minute ago, MC RISK77 said:

Yep agree we were weak after the first goal but I did think the first 30 mins we more than competed, had a good shape and quite a bit of possession and it was actually a really tasty enjoyable game to watch

That throw in by O’Dowda😂😂. Add in the fact that he is 1000000% gutless and he would never represent the club again if I was in charge. If ever a player does not deserve to wear our shirt........:

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Rovers 2

1 minute ago, MC RISK77 said:

We held our own at the back in that first 30 minutes, bit every time we tried to break forward....we looked void of ideas. We didn't create any angles, we didn't utilise any width....we didn't look like we could even get a ball under control 

....then they scored and it was game over 

We know they are better than us - blindingly obvious analysis. 

The disappointing thing about it all is that out of the 7 goals we have let in against them, I think 6 have been down to individual errors. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, AshtonGreat said:

We're poor. It's that simple

We gifted all three goals on a plate with countless individual errors. That in isolation is not LJ’s fault but how many home games of the standard we saw today can he get away with? Home games are literally a chore to watch!!!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AshtonGreat said:

We're poor. It's that simple

Yep.....but the question is - why were City so poor? 

To me it was simply the quality of the opposition. They were excellent and exactly why they’re top of the Championship.

3 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

That throw in by O’Dowda😂😂. Add in the fact that he is 1000000% gutless and he would never represent the club again if I was in charge. If ever a player does not deserve to wear our shirt........:

Yep agree mate he is a dreadful excuse for a footballer get rid of we can find any buyer in the summer

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Robbored said:

To me it was simply the quality of the opposition. They were excellent and exactly why they’re top of the Championship.

You're right that the quality of the opposition is a big factor. But to play poorly week in, week out at home is simply not good enough. We're only where we are because the Championship is so poor this season

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Why did O’Dowda throw a hospital ball to Henriksen, what was Fammy thinking, why did Bentley display parks goalkeeper handling skills, what went through Ashley Williams head? Simple questions, not rocket science is it?

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

Why did O’Dowda throw a hospital ball to Henriksen, what was Fammy thinking, why did Bentley display parks goalkeeper handling skills, what went through Ashley Williams head? Simple questions, not rocket science is it?

Individual errors aren’t down to the way a team is playing.

5 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

Why is everyone blaming O’Dowda for the throw in?! Have you watched it back? Whilst yes, Jay was an easier ball it was a pretty standard throw in that a championship midfielder should be able to control and move on pretty simply. Henriksen was at fault for being so slow, which he and quite a few others were guilty of a number of times today. 

Edited by RedSA

3 points behind Leeds at the time we played them.. only 5 places between us at West Brom.. just shows the mentality of the club, the players and some fans that we're just happy to be playing these teams..

I don't expect to win but I expect us to show a bit more fight and act like a team going for the play offs, and not just there for a nice day out and watch these big scary teams outplay us like they both did..

• Like 13

23 minutes ago, Ron Swanson said:

3 points behind Leeds at the time we played them.. only 5 places between us at West Brom.. just shows the mentality of the club, the players and some fans that we're just happy to be playing these teams..

I don't expect to win but I expect us to show a bit more fight and act like a team going for the play offs, and not just there for a nice day out and watch these big scary teams outplay us like they both did..

Yep forget the manager and the in/out debate. Everyone at the club talks about competing for promotion yet the performances were like we were playing two legs against Liverpool. Weren’t close to either team. It is the complete lack of belief that frustrates most people. There was not a single minute in the last 180 where I felt we were a threat to the opposing keepers. 

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, Robbored said:

It’s that simple.

There have been many sides who have been better than us this season and we have somehow scraped a result,I guess what you mean it that we were punished by a team who can finish chances as opposed to the Barnsley’s etc 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

Christ. I’m worried....

I agree with everything you’ve said 😃

We were poor at Leeds and we were poor today. In fact we’ve been poor all season.

Our league position has flattered us for too long. As did our Carabao cup run.

Under Lansdown, Ashton and Johnson this will be as good as it gets. Papered over cracks, mediocrity football.

Time to arrange some talking therapy I think. Under these clowns we’re going nowhere. Fast.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Homer Simpson said:

No shit Sherlock. What an eye opening statement. 

Well, at least it makes a refreshing  from the dozen or more  threads all started in the past two hours with the sole intention of telling everyone exactly the same thing about our head coach.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Robbored said:

It’s that simple.

It’s actually zero points from 4 games in total this season. Convincingly beaten in every one of those games.

and 4 goals conceded in the last two games with probably one decent shot on target in 180 minutes. 

not good.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, joe jordans teeth said:

There have been many sides who have been better than us this season and we have somehow scraped a result,I guess what you mean it that we were punished by a team who can finish chances as opposed to the Barnsley’s etc 

As they have just said on TALKSPORT West Brom may be good, but we didn’t have to gift them the win. 

• Like 1

We matched them for the first 20 minutes or so, but after that we were out-classed and out-played all over the pitch.

How many passes that we made failed to connect with a fellow player?  At least 30 I think.

Nagy was the worst offender in giving away possession. He should have been taken off earlier. 

Correct me if I am wrong, but we had just one shot on target  today and that was Wells's dipping shot in extra time which was tipped over the bar. 

Forget promotion this season. 

Even in the unlikely event that we make the play-offs, Fulham or (more likely) Brentford will win them.

A very depressing afternoon. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Andy082005 said:

You're right of course but there are posters on here that will not acknowledge that, we were second best in almost all areas, it hurts me to have to say that but today it was the truth, it didn't help that certain players helped WBA cause both accidently and through sheer incompetence I leave you to decide which was which, but it has to be said that as I sat there today I was asking myself why are they so much better than us it's something I can't answer without risking the wrath of the posters that think LJ walks on water but after todays performance it's hard to argue against the fact that today he met a better team and manager, does anyone think differently?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Robbored said:

Zero points from the four matches against the best two teams in the championship ...

Edited by BS4 on Tour...

14 hours ago, Numero Uno said:

Possibly the key moment of the game for me.

Why was he taking it? Clearly Dasilva should have been?

O’Dowda ignoring simple team instructions? Or just not switched on?

He has gone backwards massively since signing his new contract.

What is his best position? LJ doesn’t seem to know, wonder what the player thinks.

" I was shocked by how bad Bristol City were, worst performance against us by anyone for some time. Which is strange given they are chasing a top six place."
Taken from a WBA website, 

Anyone arguing otherwise ?

10 hours ago, pillred said:

You're right of course but there are posters on here that will not acknowledge that, we were second best in almost all areas, it hurts me to have to say that but today it was the truth, it didn't help that certain players helped WBA cause both accidently and through sheer incompetence I leave you to decide which was which, but it has to be said that as I sat there today I was asking myself why are they so much better than us it's something I can't answer without risking the wrath of the posters that think LJ walks on water but after todays performance it's hard to argue against the fact that today he met a better team and manager, does anyone think differently?

I do!

First off; no I don't think Johnson walks on water. He's got faults, I'd love to have Jurgen Klopp as our manger - but it ain't going to happen. For all his faults he's arguably one of the best, and certainly one of the most successful, I've seen in the many years I"ve been watching City.

Yes we were second best. Do you really expect any different? We have no divine right to beat any club, but look at the comparison. A club that's spent most of the current century moving between the Premiership and the Championship, and has spent 8 of the last 10 in the Prem. Who have the money that comes with the Prem, and a legacy of Prem quality players to boot. Against a club that's spent the current century  between League 1 and the Prem. That has to sell its best players every season, and tries to rebuild from what was, not very long ago, a Leg 1 base. Who do you think is going to be better? West Brom are a club who've been doing for the past decade what we aspire to.

So, yes, I acknowledge we were second best yesterday, but don't think that's a reason for the usual ridiculous over-reaction on here, demanding Johnson's head (as if we have any say anyway) and implying that - in the bigger picture - we're going backwards as a club. I'd argue that what plenty of posters on here won't acknowledge is that we're in a far better place now than we were 10 years ago.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

As I said on another thread our record against the rest of the top 9 is abysmal. Played 11, W1 D4 L6 so far. We’ve barely competed in many of those games. We still have to play Fulham, Preston, Forest, Blackburn and Swansea again out of that group of teams. Out of those,  the only one we’ve beaten so far is Fulham. 

Unless we cut out the individual errors and Johnson works out how we can get after some of these teams, this season will end exactly as the last two have. Against the better teams we’re a million miles off being good enough, and yesterday was another painful case in point. 

Edited by Jacki
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Robbored said:

It’s that simple.

They were always going to be better with the ball than us. Its what they did to us without the ball that was more troublesome. 

We folded like meek, withering flowers. We were panicked and utterly clueless when in possession. That is definitely not explained away by waxing lyrical over WBA's strengths. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, CotswoldRed said:

They were always going to be better with the ball than us. Its what they did to us without the ball that was more troublesome. 

We folded like meek, withering flowers. We were panicked and utterly clueless when in possession. That is definitely not explained away by waxing lyrical over WBA's strengths. 

You’re spot on about the Baggies without the ball. They stifled pretty much every available pass when City had the ball. They really were a very good side and...dare I say it....better than Leeds.

3 minutes ago, Robbored said:

You’re spot on about the Baggies without the ball. They stifled pretty much every available pass when City had the ball. They really were a very good side and...dare I say it....better than Leeds.

What worries me is this - every team now appears to have 2 options to win at AG. 

1) sit back and counter - BCFC won't break them down. 

2) sit higher and up and press us relentlessly in midfield - BCFC will buckle and panic.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, CotswoldRed said:

4 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Both teams have very good technical ability and physical toughness.  When those two things come together versus Bristol City, we see a performance like we did yesterday.  We can beat a team like Fulham who are good technically but not strong.  In fact most physical teams I’ve seen us against this season have won through. 

2 minutes ago, CotswoldRed said:

What worries me is this - every team now appears to have 2 options to win at AG. 

2) sit higher and up and press us relentlessly in midfield - BCFC will buckle and panic.

Most teams have gone for option 2.

10 minutes ago, CotswoldRed said:

3) one or other of those are pretty much the way most teams play football!

Was very shocked to see we had more possession. We seem to always get results with less possession. Fact of the matter is they are a Premier League side and I’m not too worried about this one. Huddersfield is a must win though 

4 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Both teams have very good technical ability and physical toughness.  When those two things come together versus Bristol City, we see a performance like we did yesterday.  We can beat a team like Fulham who are good technically but not strong.  In fact most physical teams I’ve seen us against this season have won through. 

Absolutely right. It comes down physicality in midfield and City just don’t have enough in that department. Nagy and Massengo are skilled footballers but very lightweight - just compare  them to Livermore and Sawyers.

I guess LJ signed Henriksen to fill that weakness but he’s not yet 100% fit.

1 hour ago, italian dave said:

I do!

First off; no I don't think Johnson walks on water. He's got faults, I'd love to have Jurgen Klopp as our manger - but it ain't going to happen. For all his faults he's arguably one of the best, and certainly one of the most successful, I've seen in the many years I"ve been watching City.

Yes we were second best. Do you really expect any different? We have no divine right to beat any club, but look at the comparison. A club that's spent most of the current century moving between the Premiership and the Championship, and has spent 8 of the last 10 in the Prem. Who have the money that comes with the Prem, and a legacy of Prem quality players to boot. Against a club that's spent the current century  between League 1 and the Prem. That has to sell its best players every season, and tries to rebuild from what was, not very long ago, a Leg 1 base. Who do you think is going to be better? West Brom are a club who've been doing for the past decade what we aspire to.

So, yes, I acknowledge we were second best yesterday, but don't think that's a reason for the usual ridiculous over-reaction on here, demanding Johnson's head (as if we have any say anyway) and implying that - in the bigger picture - we're going backwards as a club. I'd argue that what plenty of posters on here won't acknowledge is that we're in a far better place now than we were 10 years ago.

I wasn't just talking about the last few years, I asked the question why are WBA better than us? they have a similar sized fanbase yet as you say yo yo between the championship and the premier league whilst we have spent a lot of that time in League 1, must be down to recruitment of players and or the way they are coached. I could say the same about at least half a dozen clubs who have gone on to pass us despite having no better crowds or facilities, I wasn't saying Lee isn't a fairly decent manager but looking at the success of clubs like Watford, Brighton etc we could do a lot better in my opinion.

13 hours ago, Abraham Romanovich said:

" I was shocked by how bad Bristol City were, worst performance against us by anyone for some time. Which is strange given they are chasing a top six place."

I’m not. I don’t know who those clubs would be but as I’ve said elsewhere the table does lie.

We aren’t good enough to go up, or compete with others who are. Our league position masks where we really are. As does a few winning streaks and “success” in recent seasons.

We can all get hard ons when we beat Man Utd and take Man City close. We get even harder when we buy cheap and sell on and make a profit on players. We might even get harder still when we take our seats and gaze in awe at the stadium we now enjoy.

Thing is the Emperors are naked. They aren’t wearing clothes. They’re stark bollock naked. Every one of them. But strap yourself in. As long as The Messiah and “his men” surround him this is as good as it gets.

Is it better than it’s been in recent years? Possibly.

Could it have been better? Too ******* right it could have been. 

• Like 5
  • Flames 1

14 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Sorry, @Exiled Robin, 😂😂😂

On 22/02/2020 at 22:00, The Red Planet said:

We matched them for the first 20 minutes or so, but after that we were out-classed and out-played all over the pitch.

How many passes that we made failed to connect with a fellow player?  At least 30 I think.

Nagy was the worst offender in giving away possession. He should have been taken off earlier. 

Correct me if I am wrong, but we had just one shot on target  today and that was Wells's dipping shot in extra time which was tipped over the bar. 

Forget promotion this season. 

Even in the unlikely event that we make the play-offs, Fulham or (more likely) Brentford will win them.

A very depressing afternoon. 

On 23/02/2020 at 09:03, Abraham Romanovich said:

Changed from a Leeds website the week before!