IGNORED

I miss Cotts.

Lez

4 minutes ago, RedDave said:

Progressed literally every season so you’re talking BS there mate 

Progressed, minutely, in comparison to the amount spent Dave. 

Football on the pitch. Regressed. Period. Last 24 months. 

Academy players not getting close to the first team, despite contending elsewhere while we experiment.

Wages have gone up almost 30% the last three years. 

We're blowing millions a year, barely matching Preston. 

Progression is a lose term, apparently. I dont judge it by just the league table whn you can just as well argue teams elsewhere have simply gotten worse. 

2 minutes ago, Fuber said:

Progressed, minutely, in comparison to the amount spent Dave. 

Football on the pitch. Regressed. Period. Last 24 months. 

Academy players not getting close to the first team, despite contending elsewhere while we experiment.

Wages have gone up almost 30% the last three years. 

We're blowing millions a year, barely matching Preston. 

Progression is a lose term, apparently. I dont judge it by just the league table whn you can just as well argue teams elsewhere have simply gotten worse. 

Made a profit last year so nett spend is less than zero. Academy players been sold for millions.  

10 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Remind me, how was that style working out for us in the second tier at the time?

Would rather watch us going for it trying to win games than the ulta defensive way we play now, football is about fun and that's not just happening at the moment, 

2 minutes ago, RedDave said:

Made a profit last year so nett spend is less than zero. Academy players been sold for millions.  

Net spend is Zero. Sure. 

Howevever that 'Net Spend' covers up the cracks that contain a worrying trend. You're using pure figures to make a point when the picture is more grey in comparison once you analyse. 

If it was not for Ashton negotiating very good fees in regards to our sales of players, we would not break even - even then we barely break even despite player trading profits due to the constantly increasing wage costs. Its a bleak picture. 

And the more wages increase the more we need to sell, its an unrealistic cycle and expectation for this to continue. 

LJ has trusted no single academy player nor developed them since he joined barring Kelly. The latter actually lost confidence playing under LJ. 

O'Leary, Walsh, Morrell, and Smith would do no worse than Maenpaa, Massengo, Nagy, and O'Dowda, at this moment, whike saving circa £25kpw, i.e. £1.25m pa. 

Our academy has moved on leaps in the last 6 years and we do not use it enough imo. 

I watch Dean Smith managing in the PL and think about what SC's team did to Walsall. Makes you wonder how their managerial careers went in such different directions. 

If you'd asked a neutral, watching City v Walsall that season which of the two would be a PL manager, I suspect they would all guess at SC. 

I certainly miss the attacking flair we showed under Cotterill. I also miss the high press, attractive style that LJ managed a couple of years ago.

Maybe it just means that nothing lasts and you need to move on when it starts to go backwards. 

35 minutes ago, RedDave said:

The old net spend argument.  ?

17 minutes ago, Fuber said:

Net spend is Zero. Sure. 

Howevever that 'Net Spend' covers up the cracks that contain a worrying trend. You're using pure figures to make a point when the picture is more grey in comparison once you analyse. 

If it was not for Ashton negotiating very good fees in regards to our sales of players, we would not break even - even then we barely break even despite player trading profits due to the constantly increasing wage costs. Its a bleak picture. 

And the more wages increase the more we need to sell, its an unrealistic cycle and expectation for this to continue. 

LJ has trusted no single academy player nor developed them since he joined barring Kelly. The latter actually lost confidence playing under LJ. 

O'Leary, Walsh, Morrell, and Smith would do no worse than Maenpaa, Massengo, Nagy, and O'Dowda, at this moment, whike saving circa £25kpw, i.e. £1.25m pa. 

Our academy has moved on leaps in the last 6 years and we do not use it enough imo. 

Thanks, the additional context of increased wage bill, increased annual amortisation of contracts and the millstone it holds around our neck for the next few seasons.

Whilst not in any FFP trouble, we need to be more efficient with SL’s generosity/backing.

5 minutes ago, Roger Red Hat said:

SC was unable to change the system during the period before he was sacked.

Neither can LJ but he's still here

Bugger what everyone else says. Cotterill was shat on from a great height. 5 months in the Championship and unceremoniously given to boot with a very fast replacement which was no doubt planned a long time in advance

12 minutes ago, Roger Red Hat said:

SC was unable to change the system during the period before he was sacked.

He was. I think much of that was due to not being able to buy the players that he already had in place as targets  But there are plenty on here that know lots about that. He was hamstrung with the players that he had and momentum was lost. What he had is what he played to. 

we were then again labeled a basket case club just three years after McInnes and Coppell. Step forward Pemberton. 

8 minutes ago, Andy082005 said:

...because he wasn't given money 

Oh so I must have imagined those massive bids for Gray and Gayle then... 

Not saying LJ has always spent wisely but to say Cotts ‘wasn’t given money’ especially considering how superior our budget was in league one compared to every other team is ridiculous 

Archived