IGNORED

I miss Cotts.

Lez

4 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

Oh so I must have imagined those massive bids for Gray and Gayle then... 

Not saying LJ has always spent wisely but to say Cotts ‘wasn’t given money’ especially considering how superior our budget was in league one compared to every other team is ridiculous 

Bids not buys though. Had one of them been signed, we'd have had more points and looked a lot less like going down.

2 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

Not saying LJ has always spent wisely but to say Cotts ‘wasn’t given money’ especially considering how superior our budget was in league one compared to every other team is ridiculous 

The story I believe, and again there are quite a few who have details, was that transfers were in place but SL did not like the details...The transfers were put on hold, SL then made the money available but the players decided to go elsewhere at the subsequent attempt to bring them in....For the record SC was at AG today...Ironic!

3 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

The sale of Baldock paid for a lot of those league 1 players 

As for the bids by Cotts....we as fans will never know exactly what happened that season. What we do know though is literally the minute Cotts was bumped and the Golden boy arrived....so did some pretty spectacular players at the time (Tomlin and Odemthingymebob)

1 minute ago, Andy082005 said:

The sale of Baldock paid for a lot of those league 1 players 

As for the bids by Cotts....we as fans will never know exactly what happened that season. What we do know though is literally the minute Cotts was bumped and the Golden boy arrived....so did some pretty spectacular players at the time (Tomlin and Odemthingymebob)

The sale of baldock helped but we had a lot of money that season compared to other league one clubs. 

Perhaps those players turned up because they weren’t going to fit in a Cotts system, as soon as we changed from the 3-5-2 we could fit them in...

19 minutes ago, Roger Red Hat said:

This. Where has all that gone?

I guess in a way we were victims of our own success, or rather we were almost successful but not quite. Our better players attracted attention and were lured away. It does feel now that we almost had our ‘puzzle pieces’ in place and now they are thrown all over the floor.

It does feel weird saying this when we are placed as high as we are in the table, but I cannot really remember us being that convincing in many matches this season, especially at home.

1 minute ago, JBFC II said:

The sale of baldock helped but we had a lot of money that season compared to other league one clubs. 

Perhaps those players turned up because they weren’t going to fit in a Cotts system, as soon as we changed from the 3-5-2 we could fit them in...

...or, they were already lined up for Lee Johnson right from the off 

The squad was absolutely bare under Cotts. It was quite obvious he had the rug pulled out from under him

1 hour ago, JonDolman said:

I don't miss him one bit. But then I guess we would probably have won another promotion if we'd stuck with him - from league one!

Then Lansdown may have backed him properly the second time!

In hindsight I would trade the last 4 years for another double winning league 1 season. I miss that excitement of how many goals were we going to win by and how far out jet would smash one in from.. I am just totally bored now. I didn't even go or listen today just checked the score at the end because I honestly didn't care. Currently under Johnson City does not bring me any joy. Hurts me to say it too!! 

8 minutes ago, tunnie12345 said:

Then Lansdown may have backed him properly the second time!

In hindsight I would trade the last 4 years for another double winning league 1 season. I miss that excitement of how many goals were we going to win by and how far out jet would smash one in from.. I am just totally bored now. I didn't even go or listen today just checked the score at the end because I honestly didn't care. Currently under Johnson City does not bring me any joy. Hurts me to say it too!! 

For all the talent. City are a boring team, l agree with you. 

1 hour ago, Keepers Ball said:

Don't talk utter nonsense. Cotterill had nowhere near the amount of money Johnson has had to spend.

We had nowhere near the turnover, worse FFP position etc. 

Have to look at the whole picture. Honestly thought that promotion side should've definitely done better though, in 2015-16. So different to Sheffield United 2016-17?

He got kicked because he isn't a yes man like the coaching staff we got in charge now.

We don't know how much money SC was allowed and what players he tried to go for besides Gayle and Gray which were well publicised.

Perhaps he wanted to give the majority of his double winning squad an opportunity in the Championship that they deserved! 

1 hour ago, RedDave said:

This thread sums it up. Fans happier being  a big fish in league one is part of our problem 

You do realise watching good football, at whatever level, is why people turn up for matches.

I don’t think you’ll ever get it if I’m honest, you seem to have been brainwashed.

I go and see Worthing on a regular basis and it’s fun.  City no longer are.

It’s the entertainment not the level that matters.

Why else would you freeze your arse off watching highly paid men effectively kick a pigskin around a field?

Exciting football is more important than league position as a supporter.

4 minutes ago, Matty_Taylor_is_god said:

It’s really not. I would rather watch us win 1-0 and draw 0-0 with success than lose 5-4/win 3-0 sometimes and achieve nothing

You can’t be serious? ?

I am

What’s the point otherwise?  I don’t understand at all.  I want to watch football?

Two teams going at each other.

What’s wrong with that? 

Most of those backing LJ over SC seem to be saying that Cotts had to go because we were looking like good relegation candidates at the time.

interested to ask if they were all for LJ suffering a similar fate during that 8 game losing run. Cos i'll be buggered if i didn't think we had had it at the time.

But I'm guessing they weren't.

All opinions, but i think Cotts got a raw deal after what he had done for us.

I miss him too, @Lez

3 hours ago, winsaw said:

Was the last time we played attacking exciting football on a regular basis, so yes I miss what he did at our club very much, 

Trouble was he continued that in the Championship and we did play good football but the other teams caught us on the counter-attack and scored goals when we were short at the back from being too gung-ho, it worked in L1 but in the Championship teams prefer to counter-attack rather than dominate possession, and Cotts didn't have any Plan B.

1 hour ago, AppyDAZE said:

All opinions, but i think Cotts got a raw deal after what he had done for us.

I miss him too, @Lez

Absolutely right he did, after what Cotts saved us from and then achieved, how he was treated after it was going wrong was a disgrace, particularly considering how his transfer deals for very decent players were scuppered behind his back. 

4 hours ago, REDOXO said:

SC would have altered that garbage in a hot minute. Agh Well SL’s money, he can spend it on what he likes. Still have my City shares so I will have a word at the next shareholders meeting!

Lansdown doesn’t allow shareholders meetings any longer. To be fair they would be pointless 

3 hours ago, REDOXO said:

He was. I think much of that was due to not being able to buy the players that he already had in place as targets  But there are plenty on here that know lots about that. He was hamstrung with the players that he had and momentum was lost. What he had is what he played to. 

we were then again labeled a basket case club just three years after McInnes and Coppell. Step forward Pemberton. 

He doggedly stuck with his 352, in which we were being picked of regularly. He even put only six players on the bench at one point. Cotts had lost it, and he's never really found it at this level.

3 hours ago, Keepers Ball said:

Neither can LJ but he's still here

Bugger what everyone else says. Cotterill was shat on from a great height. 5 months in the Championship and unceremoniously given to boot with a very fast replacement which was no doubt planned a long time in advance

LJ regularly changes the system and it's one of the things for which he's regularly criticised on here! I'm not sticking up for LJ, I think he's got us as far as he can. Just like SC had.

2 minutes ago, Roger Red Hat said:

He doggedly stuck with his 352, in which we were being picked of regularly. He even put only six players on the bench at one point. Cotts had lost it, and he's never really found it at this level.

He was asked to put out a squad with 17 players no wonder he lost it. In a normal employment it would have been constructive dismissal.

Imagine if Johnson had less than his 30 man squad to choose from, he’d be moaning like a baby on BCTV. 

2 minutes ago, NickJ said:

He was asked to put out a squad with 17 players

First I've heard of it, but I'm not ITK. I'm  not sticking up for LJ, and I not sticking up for SC. I don't believe SC has it at this level(where is he now?) and I don't think LJ can take us any further. I'm neither an LJ lover or hater and the same applies to SC.

Archived