IGNORED

I miss Cotts.

Lez

1 minute ago, Riaz said:

I've said before. It gets removed and i get told off.

Forum does not want to get shut down.

Things don't get removed unless they are against the forum rules - such as attack the post not the poster - or libellous (a published false statement that is damaging to a person's reputation).

So just post something which isn't false and it will be fine.

11 hours ago, NickJ said:

Things don't get removed unless they are against the forum rules - such as attack the post not the poster - or libellous (a published false statement that is damaging to a person's reputation).

So just post something which isn't false and it will be fine.

Once again @Riaz you have been very active since the above but you’ve still not posted what you have “heard”. 

So basically I assume what you posted before was taken down because it was false. 

Speak up. 

12 hours ago, Pheasant plucker said:

He was very sucessful in Norway before he came to us. Viking Stavenger was it?

If I recall, took an unfashionable lower league club into Europe?

Similar in some ways to Graham Potter at Ostersunds FK.

10 hours ago, NickJ said:

Once again @Riaz you have been very active since the above but you’ve still not posted what you have “heard”. 

So basically I assume what you posted before was taken down because it was false. 

Speak up. 

Last seen 38 minutes ago but still no reply come on @Riaz you can do it.

On 23/02/2020 at 12:28, NickJ said:

The other thing to say there is that when Cotts went to Birmingham as assistant, it was on an agreement that Redknapp would step down at the end of the season. Redknapp changed his mind, that's why Cotts left. Cotts made a very good impression at Birmingham though hence why they returned to him after sacking Redknapp.

By then though the damage was done. Cotterill was unable to sign any players, at all. Add to that major injuries to key players . A quick google search shows even the idiotic Asian owners sanctioned this statement at the time.

“The board would like to place on record their sincere thanks to Steve, not only for his significant contribution at the conclusion of last season for which we will remain grateful, but also for his genuine efforts, contribution and hard work during his tenure in this 2017/18 campaign.

“Steve has conducted himself professionally on behalf of the club at all times, his work ethic and honesty are a credit to him and there is a genuine sadness at this decision. However, the board feel that a change in management at this stage is in the best interests of the football club.”

After Cotterill was sacked Birmingham had several players return from injury and suspension, which probably made all the difference.

As you allude to, Cotterill has been unlucky enough to have never been properly backed by club owners in the Championship, even at Burnley he had to sell a key player every season with no equivalent replacement.

Didn't know that, but would make sense- in terms of making a good impression.

Only thing I would say is Birmingham couldn't back him by the time he became manager- not that they wouldn't, but couldn't as they were in soft embargo territory given Redknapp's (club sanctioned) overspending in summer 2017 largely. Said owners then went on to purchase a player for a fee, for cash (Cash ffs!!) while under a soft embargo during the existing reporting period and probably made matters worse. Cotts had gone by this point but the idiot owners still weren't quite getting it...maybe they assumed the soft embargo ran until the season was over then it was back to normal again? :dunno:Probably a generous interpretation though!

It's a shame @Riaz couldn't or wouldn't elaborate. Would surely have been an interesting addition to the debate.

Putting aside the financial aspects from just a minute, and who knows sign Maguire and Gray and little work in Jan maybe needed, making savings there.

Anyway:

Fielding

Ayling Flint Maguire

Little Pack Smith Bryan

Then either:

Freeman

Kodjia Gray

Which can also be:

Freeman Gray Kodjia

Or maybe even:

Freeman           Kodjia

Gray

On otherwise a loose and fluid 3-4-3. Which can also morph into a 3-4-2-1 or a 3-4-1-2. Can solve problems of numerical disadvantage in certain areas, goals and creativity surely would flow.

Defence or 2 v 1 might pose an issue though! Williams as first reserve at CB, not bad.

Issues with depth though, just takes some injuries...

Archived