Jump to content

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

Lez

I miss Cotts.

Recommended Posts

15 hours ago, Robbored said:

It’s far less complicated than yore making it Dave. It’s simple mathematics.

Sell several players for an estimated sum of £80m and recruit several players at around £50m. My arithmetic makes that £30m difference.

I don’t read any accounts partly because I find them dry and dull and partly because they mean very little to me.

 

I genuinely chucked at this. On one hand, you've got @Davefevs who's painstakingly taken the time to do his own research into our accounts.. then you have Robbored from OTIB who dismissed it with "It’s far less complicated than yore making it Dave"! Comical!

When you read RR's posts through the lens of knowing he is a troll, they're far more entertaining and far less annoying.

Edited by Phileas Fogg
  • Like 1
  • Hmmm 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Nbafc said:

In terms of who they are, what they are achieving/achieved here and how they achieved it, LJ and SC are incomparable I think. 

Excellent post - I couldn't agree more with this sentiment. Cotts appointment lifted my spirits after years of footballing gloom, and what a season 2014/15 was! That night in Bradford...an almost perfect performance. A manager with a career track record of success...a real leader.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dodgy Steve Cotterill, signed Callum Robinson on loan and then failed to play him...

He look more than good enough today 🤦🏽‍♂️

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Red white and red said:

I can’t remember where I read it but Cotterill had agreed the fees and transfers for Maguire and Gray. As it was pre-season, both players and cotterill went on holiday. Whilst they were all away, ‘someone at the club’ tried to re-negotiate the prices for both players who’s respective clubs told city to **** off. Both clubs then refused to sell both players to city and they both went elsewhere. Cotterill then came back from holiday to the news. 
 

Don’t quote me on that, but I read/heard something very similar a few months after Cotterill was sacked. 

There’s another side to that story.

SL made the right decision 

Edited by Riaz
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I genuinely chucked at this. On one hand, you've got @Davefevs who's painstakingly taken the time to do his own research into our accounts.. then you have Robbored from OTIB who dismissed it with "It’s far less complicated than yore making it Dave"! Comical!

When you read RR's posts through the lens of knowing he is a troll, they're far more entertaining and far less annoying.

The point I making in my reply to Davefevs was that I have very little interest how the clubs accounts function. I see them as bugger all to do with me and why I take such a simplistic view on them. 

I have never worked in the financial sector which several on here have done and I’m definitely not going to question the clubs accounts. My comments regarding LJ making a profit on sales  are based on what I’ve read and  worked out.

It doesn’t bother me one iota if I get corrected by Davefevs or anyone else - it’s just my way of seeing things. 

  • Unicorn 1
  • Hedgehog 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, RedDave said:

This thread sums it up. Fans happier being  a big fish in league one is part of our problem 

There was an interesting report on Wolves on the BBC site where they said that , for décades the club and it’s supporters never really believed in their potential to be at the top of the tree and that this negativity held them back until the latest owners took over and shook everyone up .

Ring any bells ?

They were ruthless in their desire to reach the Prem . We , dare I say it are more ‘ toothless ‘ than ‘ruthless ‘ .

Can anyone believe that Uncle Steve would sack LJ and bring in an experienced Championship coach who knows how to get promoted from this division ? 
 

The prize is within grasping distance and yet we will play it safe with lovely , media friendly Lee when it appears that we are dropping off the pace despite Uncle Steve bringing in the players that LJ said he needed. 
 

I would be sounding out Hughton right now . 
 

It’s not guaranteed to work but hand on heart do any of you really believe that we are going to finish in the top six now ? 
 

 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Keepers Ball said:

Don't talk utter nonsense. Cotterill had nowhere near the amount of money Johnson has had to spend.

 

Because he wasn’t looking like keeping us in The Championship for very long..! 
In the 7 months or so that we were a championship club under Cotts (who I like, a lot, for the record) did he not sign Kodjia for a record fee and several other players. A couple of whom left asap and went on to do pretty well elsewhere..? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Riaz said:

There’s another side to that story.

SL made the right decision 

Indeed he did - again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Robbored said:

The point I making in my reply to Davefevs was that I have very little interest how the clubs accounts function. I see them as bugger all to do with me and why I take such a simplistic view on them. 

I have never worked in the financial sector which several on here have done and I’m definitely not going to question the clubs accounts. My comments regarding LJ making a profit on sales  are based on what I’ve read and  worked out.

It doesn’t bother me one iota if I get corrected by Davefevs or anyone else - it’s just my way of seeing things. 

Wrongly

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Red Exile said:

Excellent post - I couldn't agree more with this sentiment. Cotts appointment lifted my spirits after years of footballing gloom, and what a season 2014/15 was! That night in Bradford...an almost perfect performance. A manager with a career track record of success...a real leader.

I was there... Trying to think of a bigger highlight in over 20 years. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Robbored said:

The point I making in my reply to Davefevs was that I have very little interest how the clubs accounts function. I see them as bugger all to do with me and why I take such a simplistic view on them. 

I have never worked in the financial sector which several on here have done and I’m definitely not going to question the clubs accounts. My comments regarding LJ making a profit on sales  are based on what I’ve read and  worked out.

It doesn’t bother me one iota if I get corrected by Davefevs or anyone else - it’s just my way of seeing things. 

....even if that’s flawed?

Thats fine, I blame the likes of Sky for the false information, poor context.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

....even if that’s flawed?

Thats fine, I blame the likes of Sky for the false information, poor context.

Not only Sky. I read something similar in the newspapers, one of which was the Post.

As I explained earlier - the clubs accounts ( in fact any accounts) are dull as ditchwater to me and to read or see Citys profits on tv or other media  I assume that they’re accurate - wrongly in your view,

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Irrespective of the half a season he had in the Champ with us, he’s never been at a club in the Champ where he’s been given the resources to give it a go.  We don’t know how good a manager he could be at this level.

Agreed on that point Dave but I think his single minded/stubborn reputation will result in no one giving him an opportunity in the championship 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, General Zod said:

I think all managers have a certain lifespan at clubs.  Cotterill reached the end of his probably quickened by not being able to get in ( or let down) his key transfer targets.

I'm certain lee has reached the end of his time here.  He’s established us as a Championship club which after years of yoyoing between the division which is a great achievement but I feel this has come at a price and we are now a really boring club to watch, one where good players are coached to grind out results and not entertain.  Even given our league position I don’t feel we have a chance of a playoff spot let alone promotion.  We don’t create enough chances, we don’t shoot from outside the box.  It really is a hard watch at times.

 We are more than happy to trade players and release coaches to keep the club moving forward and the manager should be no different.  The summer is time for change and the next stage in the clubs progression
 

Don’t disagree with any of your points. Failure to achieve a play off spot this season should lead to a change in coach. I don’t think the club will press the button on this though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, havanatopia said:

I was there... Trying to think of a bigger highlight in over 20 years. 

Not sure I can either...usually City bottle the big matches or leave you on the edge of your seat for 90 minutes - but what a performance!...key match and we thrash the opposition. A joyous occasion!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Not only Sky. I read something similar in the newspapers, one of which was the Post.

steady, you started the sentence well and then fell if a cliff with the final bit (joke) 😂😂😂

As I explained earlier - the clubs accounts ( in fact any accounts) are dull as ditchwater to me and to read or see Citys profits on tv or other media  I assume that they’re accurate - wrongly in your view,

no, no, the accounts are completely accurate, so are the profits and losses reported.  You are confusing Profit and Loss with net spend.  But “net spend” doesn’t feature anywhere in the club’s accounts and it certainly isn’t the bottom line either.  “Transfer profit” is stated but it is far more complicated than fee received minus fee paid.  

The profit I assume you are referring to is the one for Accounts up to 31st May 2019.  For context, here are the last few seasons:

May 2019: £11.2m profit (inc Kelly £15m from Bournemouth)

May 2018: £23.5m loss

May 2017: £3.2m loss

May 2016: £13.2m loss

agree, they are dull though.  As it currently stands I’m estimating a £10m loss this May.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

 

Way too complicated for me to take in Dave. As I posted earlier - I have never worked in the financial sector probably because I find the entire business very dull. I seriously doubt that I could have stayed awake during any lectures that financial advisors/accountants attend - had i by chance working in that field.

Hence my simplistic take on all things fiscal.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Riaz said:

There’s another side to that story.

SL made the right decision 

 

4 hours ago, Red white and red said:

Enlighten me

Yes I'd be interested to see that as well don't hold your breath though....... @Riaz

4 hours ago, Chairman Mao said:

Could you link to give me the name of the thread? I haven't seen it myself.

It was posted on here early January 2016. A very long and detailed account of what happened. Allegedly.

I may be wrong but the entire thread appears to have been deleted, read into that what you will.

It was very plausible, in fact it was so detailed it is very difficult to imagine it could have been made up. The phrase "you couldn't make it up" was never better applied. And at the time I heard similar elsewhere.

You do wonder whether with the truth coming out, if that's what it was, that may have hastened Cotterills departure. If it was true it reflected very badly on many people but not Cotterill, and if I were the people responsible I'd have wanted that buried. What better way than to continue not to back the manager that had performed a minor miracle and put him under a bus.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, NickJ said:

 

Yes I'd be interested to see that as well don't hold your breath though....... @Riaz

It was posted on here early January 2016. A very long and detailed account of what happened. Allegedly.

I may be wrong but the entire thread appears to have been deleted, read into that what you will.

It was very plausible, in fact it was so detailed it is very difficult to imagine it could have been made up. The phrase "you couldn't make it up" was never better applied. And at the time I heard similar elsewhere.

You do wonder whether with the truth coming out, if that's what it was, that may have hastened Cotterills departure. If it was true it reflected very badly on many people but not Cotterill, and if I were the people responsible I'd have wanted that buried. What better way than to continue not to back the manager that had performed a minor miracle and put him under a bus.

From my memory banks it was something along the lines of:

Gray - £4.0/4.5m - £14k per week wages

Maguire - £2.0/2.5m - Cant remember wages

It was whatever combo added up to £6.5m.

All sorted by Cotts, who went on holiday, expecting it to be tied up, only for Pelling to attempt to undercut the moves, seeing if could do a better deal.  Brentford pissed off, then touted Gray, Burnley interested, £18k per week, and £6m.  City tried to match, but Gray now only interested in Burnley (not surprising).

Maguire, having signed for Hull from Sheffield Utd, but gone out on loan to Wigan.  Hull felt messed about, and he stayed.

When the Gray deal looked like falling through, City turned attentions to Gayle.  £6m rising to £9m.  He wasn’t interested.

Kodjia had been onboarded after Pelling had interfered...I think Cotts knew Gray wasn’t coming.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Talking of Cotterill, his last game at City ended with him having a pop at one of our fans. Johnson shouted and reacted to a fan in the Lansdown on Saturday after he cheered a shot on target. Johnson like Cotterill doesn't accept criticism very well. I very much doubt that this time it will end in the same way...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Gillies Downs Leeds said:

Talking of Cotterill, his last game at City ended with him having a pop at one of our fans. Johnson shouted and reacted to a fan in the Lansdown on Saturday after he cheered a shot on target. Johnson like Cotterill doesn't accept criticism very well. I very much doubt that this time it will end in the same way...

One chap shouts shite every week . Johnson usually stares at him and mumbles.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, NickJ said:

 

Yes I'd be interested to see that as well don't hold your breath though....... @Riaz

It was posted on here early January 2016. A very long and detailed account of what happened. Allegedly.

I may be wrong but the entire thread appears to have been deleted, read into that what you will.

It was very plausible, in fact it was so detailed it is very difficult to imagine it could have been made up. The phrase "you couldn't make it up" was never better applied. And at the time I heard similar elsewhere.

You do wonder whether with the truth coming out, if that's what it was, that may have hastened Cotterills departure. If it was true it reflected very badly on many people but not Cotterill, and if I were the people responsible I'd have wanted that buried. What better way than to continue not to back the manager that had performed a minor miracle and put him under a bus.

Not what i heard then. Mostly defintely reflects badly on him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎22‎/‎02‎/‎2020 at 17:58, RedDave said:

This thread sums it up. Fans happier being  a big fish in league one is part of our problem 

Yes this may be true, but why is this an issue?

  • Enjoyment going to the games and seeing us win more than we lose
  • More excitement in the lower division, more thrills and spills
  • Less commercial noncense and TV dictating when we play
  • Less sideways and backwards passing
  • More away games at stadiums with character
  • Much more reasonable priced tickets
  • Fewer Callum O'Dowda/Casey Palmer esc £20k + a week players jogging around looking uninterested every game, not even making the match day squad
  • City have been poor at home for the last few seasons, by contrast in league one we have had some of our best times as modern fans

What is it you love so much about being in the top half of the championship and why are you so desperate to be a premier league club?

  • Because you want to see the best players in the country thrashing city every week?
  • Because you want credibility for saying you were there in the lower league and your a die hard fan of a team who are now a premier league club?
  • You want to watch Gary Linekar and Alan Shearer discussing City every week?
  • You want to become a Bournemouth/Watford of the Premier League where it's a constant battle as to whether we escape relegation each season and buy amore expensive season ticket to see fewer games and even more snooze fests where we lose to the Evertons and West Hams of the league?

In my opinion and I'm sure many others too, football has been ruined by money and no one in the media believes anything else matters beyond the top 6 or the champions league. Now managers don't even turn up to manage their own team because they have too many fixtures and they can't go to work if someone else is having a day off?

The lower leagues of English football still remain relatively untouched by TV and the rich financial owners and this appeals to a lot of the fans of lower league clubs I'd imagine. I can turn up and watch football every week as a league one fan without paying stupid prices to watch over paid players put in a half arsed effort on the pitch. There is more of a divide between fans and players the higher up the football tier system you go and as a fan you become less and less important to the club as it goes. We will be unconsidered if we ever make the Prem because our hard earned money will mean nothing in comparison to the TV revenue etc the club will receive.

I enjoy being entertained and am not too fussed whether that be against Man City or Macclesfield Town. I will get to see my City win far more games against the latter.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not interested in watching league one football anymore, I've had enough of that. Playing at our current level we see a lot of good quality footballers that you would never see at the lower levels. For me, playing in the Champ or above is now essential. Even if we get tonked all the time at least we can appreciate the opposition quality players. Good quality loan players from the prem are at our level, not league one.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 23/02/2020 at 13:20, Red white and red said:

I can’t remember where I read it but Cotterill had agreed the fees and transfers for Maguire and Gray. As it was pre-season, both players and cotterill went on holiday. Whilst they were all away, ‘someone at the club’ tried to re-negotiate the prices for both players who’s respective clubs told city to **** off. Both clubs then refused to sell both players to city and they both went elsewhere. Cotterill then came back from holiday to the news. 
 

Don’t quote me on that, but I read/heard something very similar a few months after Cotterill was sacked. 

 

On 23/02/2020 at 14:40, Riaz said:

There’s another side to that story.

SL made the right decision 

 

22 hours ago, Red white and red said:

Enlighten me

 

18 hours ago, NickJ said:

 

Yes I'd be interested to see that as well don't hold your breath though....... @Riaz

It was posted on here early January 2016. A very long and detailed account of what happened. Allegedly.

I may be wrong but the entire thread appears to have been deleted, read into that what you will.

It was very plausible, in fact it was so detailed it is very difficult to imagine it could have been made up. The phrase "you couldn't make it up" was never better applied. And at the time I heard similar elsewhere.

You do wonder whether with the truth coming out, if that's what it was, that may have hastened Cotterills departure. If it was true it reflected very badly on many people but not Cotterill, and if I were the people responsible I'd have wanted that buried. What better way than to continue not to back the manager that had performed a minor miracle and put him under a bus.

 

5 hours ago, Riaz said:

Not what i heard then. Mostly defintely reflects badly on him.

Yawn how predictable.

Will have one more go though.

So what did you "hear" then @Riaz??

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 22/02/2020 at 22:57, NickJ said:

Full of crap.

Tell me, which young players out there today has Johnson developed? Every single one of them cost a significant fee and/or on high wages.

Cotts didn’t ask for Gayle or Gray, Gayle was a second choice because Gray fell through. Oh as did a certain Harry Maguire that Cotts had done a deal for. 
 

You seem to imply Lansdown didn’t sanction any of those signings because he’d ran out of patience with Cotts. What, immediately after we’d just won the league by a mile, are you mad?

The fact is Cotts had done his homework, had excellent additions to the squad lined up only for it to be taken away.

No wonder he was pissed off. 

Yes true was told one of the lansdowns moved the goalposts on the wages offered cotts came back from holiday to find the deals scuppered was said he was moving to fast .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Love him to bits - gave pride back to the club after a few dud years and did so in style. More so, I think he was the last manager of "our old club", that is before we became a modern-minded sporting institution playing inside an arena. Didn't agree with his sacking at the time, but in hindsight, despite being one of the more nostalgic people on this page, probably worked out for the best given the way we have consolidated our status as a Championship club.

He was brilliant at the time for us and has my enduring respect and admiration, but to be honest if we're going to play a "what if" scene i'd rather ask "what if we'd kept Benny another season".

What ifs are futile in all walks of life and should not be entertained unless you're smashed and in the grip of a deep melancholia (though don't get me wrong, would be fascinating to have the power to know "what if" and know all the possible outcomes! Essentially, restarting Champ Manager)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, poland_exile said:

Love him to bits - gave pride back to the club after a few dud years and did so in style. More so, I think he was the last manager of "our old club", that is before we became a modern-minded sporting institution playing inside an arena. Didn't agree with his sacking at the time, but in hindsight, despite being one of the more nostalgic people on this page, probably worked out for the best given the way we have consolidated our status as a Championship club.

He was brilliant at the time for us and has my enduring respect and admiration, but to be honest if we're going to play a "what if" scene i'd rather ask "what if we'd kept Benny another season".

What ifs are futile in all walks of life and should not be entertained unless you're smashed and in the grip of a deep melancholia (though don't get me wrong, would be fascinating to have the power to know "what if" and know all the possible outcomes! Essentially, restarting Champ Manager)

I often wonder with benny too PE.

Way ahead of his time here, and just as things were turning, he was fired.

The way he had us trying to play, is pretty much the way all decent teams play now.

Think our players were quite limited mentally at the time, and needed a season to get their heads around his ideas!

Hey ho

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Pheasant plucker said:

I often wonder with benny too PE.

Way ahead of his time here, and just as things were turning, he was fired.

The way he had us trying to play, is pretty much the way all decent teams play now.

Think our players were quite limited mentally at the time, and needed a season to get their heads around his ideas!

Hey ho

What in his career made you think this?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 23/02/2020 at 21:44, Gillies Downs Leeds said:

Talking of Cotterill, his last game at City ended with him having a pop at one of our fans. Johnson shouted and reacted to a fan in the Lansdown on Saturday after he cheered a shot on target. Johnson like Cotterill doesn't accept criticism very well. I very much doubt that this time it will end in the same way...

If I recall Cotts had a right ding dong with a fan behind him, as reported.  
As for cheering a shot on target I recall his Dad saying you know how well you have played by how you ‘work ‘ the opposition keeper.  He can have all the football coaching badges in the world but that has got to be obvious to anyone.  Box entries, presses, all the buzz words I hear.  Last time we really worked an opposition keeper in a home game.  I reckon Stoke home last season 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, NickJ said:

 

 

 

 

Yawn how predictable.

Will have one more go though.

So what did you "hear" then @Riaz??

 

Hi @Riaz I see you are very active on here except answering this question. 🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, NickJ said:

Hi @Riaz I see you are very active on here except answering this question. 🙂

I've said before. It gets removed and i get told off.

Forum does not want to get shut down.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Riaz said:

I've said before. It gets removed and i get told off.

Forum does not want to get shut down.

Things don't get removed unless they are against the forum rules - such as attack the post not the poster - or libellous (a published false statement that is damaging to a person's reputation).

So just post something which isn't false and it will be fine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, NickJ said:

Things don't get removed unless they are against the forum rules - such as attack the post not the poster - or libellous (a published false statement that is damaging to a person's reputation).

So just post something which isn't false and it will be fine.

Once again @Riaz you have been very active since the above but you’ve still not posted what you have “heard”. 
 

So basically I assume what you posted before was taken down because it was false. 
 

Speak up. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Pheasant plucker said:

He was very sucessful in Norway before he came to us. Viking Stavenger was it?

If I recall, took an unfashionable lower league club into Europe?

Similar in some ways to Graham Potter at Ostersunds FK.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, NickJ said:

Once again @Riaz you have been very active since the above but you’ve still not posted what you have “heard”. 
 

So basically I assume what you posted before was taken down because it was false. 
 

Speak up. 

Last seen 38 minutes ago but still no reply come on @Riaz you can do it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, NickJ said:

Last seen 38 minutes ago but still no reply come on @Riaz you can do it.

Come on @Riazas always been all over this forum today let’s hear from you 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, NickJ said:

Come on @Riazas always been all over this forum today let’s hear from you 

@Riazyou’re still up I can see you reading this lets be having you 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, NickJ said:

@Riazyou’re still up I can see you reading this lets be having you 

@Riazstill here looking but not saying come on all you have to do is say what happened but no lies what’s your problem 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...