Jump to content

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

Hocca

Nagy and Massengo

Recommended Posts

What awful business this looks now. Nagy in particular looks like an 8 year old on the pitch who is just full of complete panic and nerves. He’s supposed to be the one to set the tempo and control our possession but he cannot do that in the slightest.

Massengo is similar in that he hasn’t a clue what to do in possession but at least unlike Nagy he’s tenacious and can make good interceptions and tackles out of possession.

Massengo being 18 obviously has time to improve but Nagy is just simply not good enough unfortunately.

These just look like two complete panic signings and really doesn’t show our foreign scouting system in a good light.

  • Like 7
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Its well known that hes been homesick, but more importantly still is not 100%. 

People forget how good he was on his debut. Literally ran the game before tiring. 

The big issue is the overall lack of identity in our playing style. Means the midfield, the main decision makers, can only go off of how theyre trained. 

  • Like 12

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mental how much Nagy has regressed. 100% a player in the there, you don’t rack up the amount of Seria A apps and full international caps for no reason.. the performance against Brum was outstanding earlier in the season too but as has been suggested it sounds as if he isn’t settling off the pitch for whatever reason.

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It’s an interesting debate.

To be fair to both Naggy and Massengo, they have showed more than enough ability to succeed at this level.

Something in the way we play or are coached, has had a detrimental effect.

 

 

Edited by 054123
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nagy is injured and Should not be playing at the moment, he looks off the pace and not wanting to go into a tackle for fair of making things worse, just don't think we are going to see him his best until he hears things sorted out, 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Hocca said:

What awful business this looks now. Nagy in particular looks like an 8 year old on the pitch who is just full of complete panic and nerves. He’s supposed to be the one to set the tempo and control our possession but he cannot do that in the slightest.

Massengo is similar in that he hasn’t a clue what to do in possession but at least unlike Nagy he’s tenacious and can make good interceptions and tackles out of possession.

Massengo being 18 obviously has time to improve but Nagy is just simply not good enough unfortunately.

These just look like two complete panic signings and really doesn’t show our foreign scouting system in a good light.

I miss Marlon!

Slow he may be but we sure miss the majority of his midfield play from getting the ball from defence to tidying up defensively. 
We may have got a good deal for him but we sure miss him. 

  • Like 6
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, nickolas said:

I miss Marlon!

Slow he may be but we sure miss the majority of his midfield play from getting the ball from defence to tidying up defensively. 
We may have got a good deal for him but we sure miss him. 

I think everyone would take Pack over any of our current midfielders, but they’re just scared to admit it

  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, BcFcOneLove said:

Couldn't make the game today, but listening to the radio it sounded like Nagy gave it away every time he had the ball.

Yep. Pretty much. And it wasn’t ‘challenging’ passes he was attempting. He couldn’t pass 5-10 yards to feet. Might as well have been in a yellow/green shirt, he passed it to their players more than our own. 
Absolutely awful. I’d go so far as to say that was one of the worst midfield performances I’ve seen in a City shirt ever. When we made the double substitution I was astonished that his number wasn’t up!  
 

He clearly has zero composure on the ball. When the ball comes to him I swear his heart rate goes up to 150! He looks panicked and rushed. Truly truly awful. 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Flames 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's funny, I watched the game and one thing for sure he wasn't nervous at all. He moves like this always and released the ball quickly which wasn't a succes in the second half. He started very well then faded and made mistakes and bad passes as he tired. It seems to me that in this 442 (which suits none of the midfielders and  should be dropped btw) he had a more forward role which is unusual for me and therefore for him as well. That said I was surprised that he was like the 3rd best passer in the team.  What I also noticed was that Henriksen is outstandingly slow. 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My 13 year old son has more composure on the ball that Nagy....

How can we ever play forward when he always receives the ball facing our defence?....

Said it before and got shot down......he's too defensively minded

Edited by MelksRed
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

People are overlooking the real issue here, playing only 2 in CM against teams like Brentford, Leeds & WBA who pack the midfield is the problem. Pack and Smith at their best would get similarly overrun.

  • Like 14

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nagy and Massengo both look low on confidence and confused.  No doubts about their ability or attitude for me, just don't think we're giving them a real chance to succeed by chopping and changing everything all the time.

  • Like 14
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

Nagy is injured and Should not be playing at the moment, he looks off the pace and not wanting to go into a tackle

Tackling wasn't the problem, its what he did with the ball when he had it, Passing was awful. I have to  admire him for his attitude tho, even though he must have known he was having a mare, he didn't hide and was always looking/asking  for the ball. could have been different on another day.  Still should have been taken off earlier though.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They were both very good at the start of the season. Massengo in particular, who had half this forum rubbing their hands in glee at the incredible piece of business we’d done, alongside the rumour the only reason we had him is because of a gentlemen’s agreement to sell on to Chelsea. 
 

Technically gifted players don’t become poor overnight. But maybe they do when forced to play with injury, or in a side so unsettled that every fan has absolutely no idea what the starting lineup will be week to week, and they’re playing to an unidentifiable ‘identity’ every week. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As others have said, do not forget how good he was until he got whacked against QPR end of the summer, or mid summer even . 
 

There is a good player in Nagy but his issues, ankle and perhaps settling need sorting.  He did comment in an interview few weeks back about constant shite weather here and simply not what used to.  Makes you wonder

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Hocca said:

I think everyone would take Pack over any of our current midfielders, but they’re just scared to admit it

I wouldn't!

Korey better, Henriksen looks an upgrade too, though early days.

Massengo will certainly be better in the future and okay something is not right with Nagy. I don't think it's simply his injury.

Add to that Morrell and Walsh coming back in the summer. Was definitely right to get 4 million for Pack.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Harry said:

Yep. Pretty much. And it wasn’t ‘challenging’ passes he was attempting. He couldn’t pass 5-10 yards to feet. Might as well have been in a yellow/green shirt, he passed it to their players more than our own. 
Absolutely awful. I’d go so far as to say that was one of the worst midfield performances I’ve seen in a City shirt ever. When we made the double substitution I was astonished that his number wasn’t up!  
 

He clearly has zero composure on the ball. When the ball comes to him I swear his heart rate goes up to 150! He looks panicked and rushed. Truly truly awful. 

I feel terrible for Nagy having to agree with this, but this is absolutely right. He is a shadow of the player I saw on his debut, whether it is injury, failing to settle or lack of confidence, or being asked to play in a way that doesn’t suit him, something is very wrong. I seriously don’t want him near the team again until something changes for him, it was almost cruel to have him on the pitch today. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Harry said:

Yep. Pretty much. And it wasn’t ‘challenging’ passes he was attempting. He couldn’t pass 5-10 yards to feet. Might as well have been in a yellow/green shirt, he passed it to their players more than our own. 
Absolutely awful. I’d go so far as to say that was one of the worst midfield performances I’ve seen in a City shirt ever. When we made the double substitution I was astonished that his number wasn’t up!  
 

He clearly has zero composure on the ball. When the ball comes to him I swear his heart rate goes up to 150! He looks panicked and rushed. Truly truly awful. 

Was about to post something very similar.

That was probably the worst passing game I’ve ever seen from a professional footballer in 35 plus years of watching City. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And early season the ‘Groupthink’ on here was crowing about an upgrade, even though it was pretty obvious that a kid, and a guy with no experience of English football, who has not played many games over the past 3 years might struggle. 

  • Like 1
  • Aubergine 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Both were recruited to play in the 352 formation we were using at the beginning of the season. Both looked excellent. 
 

 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Shtanley said:

Both were recruited to play in the 352 formation we were using at the beginning of the season. Both looked excellent. 
 

 

A formation we should go back to, using Eliasson as an impact sub when we need to change things up.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Chappers said:

And early season the ‘Groupthink’ on here was crowing about an upgrade, even though it was pretty obvious that a kid, and a guy with no experience of English football, who has not played many games over the past 3 years might struggle. 

It did look like an upgrade. Both were outstanding and both have regressed to an incredible extent. Would rather have Walsh and Morrell in and around the squad to be honest. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Hocca said:

What awful business this looks now. Nagy in particular looks like an 8 year old on the pitch who is just full of complete panic and nerves. He’s supposed to be the one to set the tempo and control our possession but he cannot do that in the slightest.

Massengo is similar in that he hasn’t a clue what to do in possession but at least unlike Nagy he’s tenacious and can make good interceptions and tackles out of possession.

Massengo being 18 obviously has time to improve but Nagy is just simply not good enough unfortunately.

These just look like two complete panic signings and really doesn’t show our foreign scouting system in a good light.

 

2 hours ago, Super said:

I might be wrong but i dont think Nagy really wants to be here. 

Nagy could not pass water. Massengo looks like a player that played well and then got dumped for players who look terrible and his best mate has been sent on loan to effing blackpool 

2 minutes ago, windmillhillred said:

It did look like an upgrade. Both were outstanding and both have regressed to an incredible extent. Would rather have Walsh and Morrell in and around the squad to be honest. 

Yep!,

  • Aubergine 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Hocca said:

I think everyone would take Pack over any of our current midfielders, but they’re just scared to admit it

I didnt mind seeing Pack go as I thought it meant we were going to get better player/players in his place .This clearly hasnt happened ,what does that say about our recruitment ?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, redordead1 said:

Was about to post something very similar.

That was probably the worst passing game I’ve ever seen from a professional footballer in 35 plus years of watching City. 

I think you only have to go back months, not years, to the Millwall game, for a worse passing performance, and from 10 players all on the same night! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, redordead1 said:

Was about to post something very similar.

That was probably the worst passing game I’ve ever seen from a professional footballer in 35 plus years of watching City. 

I remember Steve Galliers having a similar time of it,  nothing would go right for him at all in one of his seasons here 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Shtanley said:

Both were recruited to play in the 352 formation we were using at the beginning of the season. Both looked excellent. 
 

 

Don’t know about that Stan. They both had decent debuts, but I wouldn’t say any of their performances have been “excellent”. 

  • Like 1
  • Hmmm 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, Shtanley said:

Both were recruited to play in the 352 formation we were using at the beginning of the season. Both looked excellent. 
 

 

Yep they did to be fair. Maybe we go back to 352 from now on.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Harry said:

Don’t know about that Stan. They both had decent debuts, but I wouldn’t say any of their performances have been “excellent”. 

Nagy at Brum and Massengo at Derby stand out in my mind. 

Would Walsh and Morrell have had better seasons up to this point? 

I'll give you all good odds on Massengo going out on loan because "he needs a run of games" in the next couple of years.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Yep they did to be fair. Maybe we go back to 352 from now on.

3-5-2, 4-4-2, jeez, we can play 7 in the midfield. If none of them have any composure on the ball and an ability to pass 10 yards to a teammate it matters not how many are in there. 
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Harry said:

Don’t know about that Stan. They both had decent debuts, but I wouldn’t say any of their performances have been “excellent”. 

Seriously? Brum and QPR Nagy was amazing and everyone was raving about him. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Shtanley said:

Nagy at Brum and Massengo at Derby stand out in my mind. 

Would Walsh and Morrell have had better seasons up to this point? 

I'll give you all good odds on Massengo going out on loan because "he needs a run of games" in the next couple of years.

Nagy at Brum was decent. Not excellent by any stretch. Just a decent enough performance. 
Massengo at Derby was good. It was a good team defensive performance. We took our few chances and were under the cosh for the whole 2nd half and defended well. 
In neither of those games were those 2 consistently holding the ball in midfield, retaining possession, passing 5-10 yards and keeping a tempo. Both were defensive performances. 
My issue with the pair of them, but Nagy more so, is that he doesn’t have the composure or technique to play a possession based game. He’s a runner. He has a basic technique. 

  • Like 1
  • Hmmm 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, RedSA said:

Seriously? Brum and QPR Nagy was amazing and everyone was raving about him. 

I wouldn’t say “amazing”. Decent, yes. Amazing, no. 
Anyway, he was decent for those 2 games but had been absolutely shocking in every match since. Shocking. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nagy class v QPR and very good away at Charlton when we changed shape. 

Either way both players well off form or ruined by LJ.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Lez said:

Nagy class v QPR and very good away at Charlton when we changed shape. 

Either way both players well off form or ruined by LJ.

Nonsense.

both players have come from leagues where they’re used to more time on the ball. Championship clubs have found them out. Play the excuse game all you like but it’s up to them to step up and raise their games.

  • Hmmm 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Harry said:

3-5-2, 4-4-2, jeez, we can play 7 in the midfield. If none of them have any composure on the ball and an ability to pass 10 yards to a teammate it matters not how many are in there. 
 

Shape of the team matters a lot when trying to pass the ball.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Shape of the team matters a lot when trying to pass the ball.

It does. But matters not if you have players who can’t pass 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Dottie said:

Both of them outstanding at Fulham. 

Again. Decent in a very defensive performance. 
Ask them to maintain possession though and they’re pretty useless at it. 

  • Hmmm 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nagy speaks really good English, but does he speak and understand really good Johnson?

Only saying, because it is a bit of a coincidence that both the aforementioned players have appeared to have taken a step backwards since signing for BCFC.

Edited by AppyDAZE

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...