IGNORED

The Big Niclas Eliasson Elephant In the room

Silvio Dante

Often, when I listen to Radio Bristol after the game I think Ian - to put it mildly - is a bit of a tool. However, today both him and Mark put their finger on exactly what the main (not only) issue is at the moment. 

Its Eliasson.

Not in any way due to a lack of ability (although form has been poor for a while now), but because as a winger - and that’s what he is, pure and simple - putting him in the side forces us to 4-4-2. We have no other out and out winger - COD plays CM for Ireland, Pato is a 10, Weimann a striker. So 4-4-2 suits nobody but Nic.

4-1-4-1 suits us

5-3-2 or 3-5-2 suits us.

The best 11 players Nic is in. No doubt. But he’s not in the best team. And we really need LJ to understand that and not play him from the start.

4 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Often, when I listen to Radio Bristol after the game I think Ian - to put it mildly - is a bit of a tool. However, today both him and Mark put their finger on exactly what the main (not only) issue is at the moment. 

Its Eliasson.

Not in any way due to a lack of ability (although form has been poor for a while now), but because as a winger - and that’s what he is, pure and simple - putting him in the side forces us to 4-4-2. We have no other out and out winger - COD plays CM for Ireland, Pato is a 10, Weimann a striker. So 4-4-2 suits nobody but Nic.

4-1-4-1 suits us

5-3-2 or 3-5-2 suits us.

The best 11 players Nic is in. No doubt. But he’s not in the best team. And we really need LJ to understand that and not play him from the start.

Yeah, I've always prefered to have him come on to rescue the game

1 minute ago, Coxy27 said:

Everyone was crying out for him in the team earlier in the season when he wasn't starting.

He's not the problem. Today it was mistakes, and obviously we were up against a better team than us.

Generally though, I think central midfield is the biggest problem.

Ironic given it’s the head coach’s position!

4 minutes ago, Coxy27 said:

Everyone was crying out for him in the team earlier in the season when he wasn't starting.

He's not the problem. Today it was mistakes, and obviously we were up against a better team than us.

Inherently I don’t disagree with that, but the problem in CM is the lack of bodies. We need a 3 to play best. And that again feeds into us not playing 4-4-2 to accommodate Nic

May not be a popular opinion as there seems to be an Eliasson love in and he can do no wrong.

Can be a great player and fantastic crosser, but often just goes missing in games or lately opposition have worked him out and mark him out the game,  bottles challenges and leaves us defensively weak. We were better today after he went off and was pleased he was subbed, perhaps needs to go back as an impact player.

2 minutes ago, nickolas said:

He could play behind 2 strikers in 352. Would be able to roam to either wing and create. 
Great picking up the ball and running through the middle too. 
I see nothing other than 352 working for us, in order to save our terribly powder puff central midfield. 

Yep. I've always thought he might be able to do that role. I know he did it once and played quite poorly, but he wasn't the player he is now. 

I like Eliasson coming central because he can beat players in those areas which can open up so much.

And like you say, he can still drift to either wing.

Another possibility maybe would be Eliasson in behind the one striker. Maybe that one striker being Wells in a 4411.

But I like the idea of the 352.

I was thinking today how we could have done with Marley Watkins. Not many would be thinking that!

But out of our wide options this season - Eliasson, Weimann, Watkins and O'Dowda. Watkins has been our 2nd best.

8 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Yep. I've always thought he might be able to do that role. I know he did it once and played quite poorly, but he wasn't the player he is now. 

I like Eliasson coming central because he can beat players in those areas which can open up so much.

And like you say, he can still drift to either wing.

Another possibility maybe would be Eliasson in behind the one striker. Maybe that one striker being Wells in a 4411.

But I like the idea of the 352.

I think he could do the 1 of the 3 behind 2 up top but I don’t think he gets in there above two natural 10s in Pato and KP.

On a broad basis, and not saying this is your view, people who say NE must be in the side are looking at a limited picture 

6 minutes ago, Dolman_Stand said:

Eliasson, Palmer and Pato behind Wells

Yep, the answers are simple really.

The problem isn't Eliasson.  We don't have to have an out and out winger on both sides to be balanced.  Pato is very effective form wide areas.

We also don't have to have Fam on the pitch.  Although some aspects of his play have improved balls that go up to him quickly do not often result in retaining possession and moving forward.

Palmer feeding Wells would make a lot of sense particularly with Eliasson and Pato stretching play.

So poor how Niclas didn't come back short and take the ball from Bentley, beat 10 WBA players, judge the wind speed and cross those perfect balls into the box that we have come to expect. I hope you can look yourself in the mirror tonight, NE. LJ, i so feel for you... everything made so clear to your players, and yet time after time they seem to let you down. Funny that.

7 minutes ago, AppyDAZE said:

So poor how Niclas didn't come back short and take the ball from Bentley, beat 10 WBA players, judge the wind speed and cross those perfect balls into the box that we have come to expect. I hope you can look yourself in the mirror tonight, NE. LJ, i so feel for you... everything made so clear to your players, and yet time after time they seem to let you down. Funny that.

I don’t think people are saying that he’s been poor though are they? The point is that the way we set up is due to Johnson wanting to get Eliasson into the team. Clearly he is a valuable player but is he that valuable that we need to sacrifice a formation that would suit our squad as a whole better?

Actually scrap that; just read the posts that said he has been poor...

2 minutes ago, windmillhillred said:

I don’t think people are saying that he’s been poor though are they? The point is that the way we set up is due to Johnson wanting to get Eliasson into the team. Clearly he is a valuable player but is he that valuable that we need to sacrifice a formation that would suit our squad as a whole better?

uh, look above

1 minute ago, AppyDAZE said:

uh, look above

Do you not think he has lately? With the rest of them no doubt but he hasn't been as influential. That's probably down to the fact thats the only tactic we have. Give it to him, produce magic and cross for a chance. Teams aren't stupid. They've cottoned on.

7 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

Elliason is pretty much the only player who will create something, thus the assists. WBA shackled him we were ******...insert numbers from 2 through 5 (here) 

They might have shackled him, but in fairness how many times did we even get that far up the pitch? Playing out from the back in shit weather was ******* stupid to say the least against top of the league. Bang it into their half, get your shape and get NE to take any corners and free kicks was our only hope today. again, LJ ****** up with the game plan.

2 minutes ago, AppyDAZE said:

They might have shackled him, but in fairness how many times did we even get that far up the pitch? Playing out from the back in shit weather was ******* stupid to say the least against top of the league. bang it into their half, get your shape and get NE to take any corners and free kicks was our only hope today. again, LJ ****** up with the game plan.

Yep!!!!!!!

48 minutes ago, RedRock said:

Eliasson’s heads gone. Went in the Jan Window.

I blame Celtic.

Doing a Joe and Bobby to us. Disappointing.  

Got to build a team around someone else now. Think Wells could be the man. 

Yeah what a bastard doing a 'bryan and Reid' thing to us....over 20 years combined service to the club and over £15 million in transfer fees. 

If only nic could do that I might take your post seriously.

1 hour ago, Silvio Dante said:

Its Eliasson.

4-1-4-1 suits us

5-3-2 or 3-5-2 suits us.

I gave Mark a lift to and from the game (lives around the corner), and i thought Ian was spot on with his point today.  Not necessarily agree with personnel but his rationale was bang on.

1 hour ago, Coxy27 said:

I wasn’t crying out for him.  I think LJ buckled (from any principles he has) after the 0-0 v Forest, which I thought was a good point against a well organised side.  We win a couple, gets assists and it blinkers opinion.  The Forest game was the last time we drew in the league.

Archived