IGNORED

WBA fans behind goal, decision maker?

Rich

2 minutes ago, Chappers said:

Presumably, those moaning about giving West Brom too many seats are not the ones that moan about us getting too small an allocation at certain grounds?

Is anyone moaning about giving WBA too many seats?

3 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I totally understand the revenue argument; but I've always felt it's poor planning.

It stands to reason that having away fans en masse behind one goal gives the away team a marginal advantage. Surely in professional sport you'd want to minimise that if possible.

I've always said it should've been home fans in the Atyeo as the 'singing section' with away fans in the corner beside it; either Lansdown or Dolman A/B. People will say it doesn't matter, but you don't want to give any fine marginal advantages to the away team - LJ would agree I'm sure.

Wasn't it Cotterill who ordered moving the away fans from around the tunnel in the Atyeo?

Unfortunately it's probably logistically impossible now to rectify this. People have 'their' seats in the Dolman and Lansdown and understandably wouldn't want to move. Also would need lots of sign offs from various beauracratic organisations such as SAG to make happen. It's obviously easier to contain the away support in the one isolated stand so I do see their reasoning. Just feel it hinders atmosphere (S82 as far away as possible from away fans is terrible for atmosphere) and gives away fans a marginal advantage.

Agreed. 

Think SAG etc would get final say in this section however. Though yesterday stuff in the ground was fairly minor, that would help in no way an argument for say livelier fans in A and B near the away end.  Safety would come first, second and third. Atmosphere would come right down IMO.

@Rich

I don't know about the other clubs but Millwall top tier only a lot of the time due to safety consideration, risk assessment etc I'm pretty sure.

3 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

I thought the West Brom fans were great yesterday. Non-stop. 
I know it’s easier when you are top of the league and then winning away, comfortably - but they sang and we didn’t (much) that’s why they made a racket. Nothing to do with numbers or where they were sat. 

They were the best away fans i’ve seen this season at AG by far. Very impressive and a perfect example of the acoustics in the Atyeo.

Fair play to them.

I sometimes wish I'd not posted.

Too many prats not reading or understanding the intentions of the original post, or, being lazy and just responding to unlinked posts.

This is about the decisions taken within our club which could have a detrimental effect on our team. I want every decision taken, to be made with the ethos of, if it's detrimental to our team, then do whatever can be done to make a decision that helps our team.

We had lots of problems yesterday, but fan placement didn’t come in to it. They could have placed them on the moon and we’d still have been shit! 

Whilst I understand the marginal gains aspect, I’d much rather have a full ground and decent atmosphere, was nice to hear a bit of a buzz at the ground, shame it wasn’t from us.... thought their fans were immense from before kick off right through. 

How many games realistically is the quantity or placement of away fans going to actually translate into tangible advantage/difference in the outcome? I’d take a starting stab at maybe 1 in 100 or less? I think it’s really clutching at straws and as I said I think I’d much rather take that gamble and have a full ground and vibrant atmosphere.

5 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

We had lots of problems yesterday, but fan placement didn’t come in to it. They could have placed them on the moon and we’d still have been shit! 

Whilst I understand the marginal gains aspect, I’d much rather have a full ground and decent atmosphere, was nice to hear a bit of a buzz at the ground, shame it wasn’t from us.... thought their fans were immense from before kick off right through. 

How many games realistically is the quantity or placement of away fans going to actually translate into tangible advantage/difference in the outcome? I’d take a starting stab at maybe 1 in 100 or less? I think it’s really clutching at straws and as I said I think I’d much rather take that gamble and have a full ground and vibrant atmosphere.

I refer to all decisions taken at the club, so this is not just about yesterday and it certainly isn't about losing one game. I just pointed this one out as an example, if you read the original post, there are other examples and I'm sure there are lots of cases where decisions have been taken which are detrimental to our team. If it only produced a positive in one percent of cases, then that's enough for me to make that decision. No straws were clutched at, just positivity in our decision making processes considered.

22 minutes ago, Robbored said:

They were the best away fans i’ve seen this season at AG by far. Very impressive and a perfect example of the acoustics in the Atyeo.

Fair play to them.

I agree, they were very good but easy to be that good when top of the league and cruising to an away victory and re the acoustics, didnt City fans used to moan about the acoustics in the Atyeo? 

39 minutes ago, Rich said:

If you are replying to my post, then perhaps I've not explained it properly. We now normally accommodate away supporters along the top of the Atyeo, Yesterday that included the middle blocks, while the corner blocks at the front were empty. I'm suggesting that we leave the middle blocks out and place the extra away supporters in the front corner blocks. That way, there's no influence from supporters directly behind the goal. 

No Rich. Somebody else mentioned stuffing them in a corner, and I was pointing out that doesn’t really work.

1 minute ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

What I don't understand though is why we have them 3,000 in the first place!!

Thought the new arrangement, probably because of a combination of safety considerations and marginal gains potential, was 2,300. Why did we suddenly give them 3,000?

Who made the decision and why?

In reality, it was done for financial gain. WBA aren't renown for being a nuisance club, so the club thought, let's make a few more quid, or £20k plus.

5 minutes ago, weepywall said:

I agree, they were very good but easy to be that good when top of the league and cruising to an away victory and re the acoustics, didnt City fans used to moan about the acoustics in the Atyeo? 

That says more about the different fan bases.

9 minutes ago, Rich said:

In reality, it was done for financial gain. WBA aren't renown for being a nuisance club, so the club thought, let's make a few more quid, or £20k plus.

They're not renowned for trouble but when I heard their loud and mouthy chants early I wondered if there maybe a potential flash point at some stage. 

@weepywall

Don't think the acoustics in the Atyeo have ever been fantastic. Mind you set against the EastEnd even in its modern form as it was, not many stands would have good acoustics!

7 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

They're not renowned for trouble but when I heard their loud and mouthy chants early I wondered if there maybe a potential flash point at some stage. 

@weepywall

Don't think the acoustics in the Atyeo have ever been fantastic. Mind you set against the EastEnd even in its modern form as it was, not many stands would have good acoustics!

I don't think the acoustics are bad in the Atyeo. away fans always seem to make more noise than our fans and I'm at the SS end of the Lansdown, so I get to hear all of it. As for EE acoustics, it always sounded louder when you were in it, as it reverberated around inside. Stood on the old open end a few times (after half time) and you could hardly hear the EE. Down at pitch side was different mind. Anyway off topic.

I want our club to savvy up and get every decision taken to help the team. Right down to the ball boys helping. I'm sure these little things help or at the least wind up the opposition.

1 hour ago, Rich said:

You haven't understood what I posted, I didn't mean to imply other clubs wouldn't let away support behind the goal. I'm trying to get across that other clubs try to help their teams as much as they can within physical restraints. Probably best to read the original post. As for the rest of it, I know that QPR , Millwall and I believe Brentford sell out the top sections first for away support. Perhaps the others don't have an option but, would they intentionally place away supporters directly behind a goal, regardless of numbers, I think not.

Rich. I did read your post. 
My response, evidencing most clubs in our league allow fans behind the goal, was to your specific statement which read “This would not happen at many other clubs”

2 hours ago, weepywall said:

Yes they did! 
City fans used to moan that the acoustics in the Atyeo were no good - nonsense!

Now they complain that they are too far from the away fans - nonsense! 

The stupid thing is, when Ashton Gate bursts into song, it’s great. As good, if not better than most grounds. 
The reason we get outsung, is because we aren’t singing enough! Simple! 

2 minutes ago, Three Lions said:

Stick some context on that Bar BS3.  City fans used to note that the acoustics in the Atyeo v the EE were not as good. That was used to more than moan e.g. open EE campaign. Now the acoustics in the Atyeo v redeveloped stands will be better. That is not nonsense.

Agree with this!

From a layman's, purely layman's perspective, it seems to me that the newer the stand the worse the acoustics? Behind a goal certainly.

I should qualify one or two of my points. Atyeo acoustics, don't seem terrible but nothing great either. IMO.

Might interest MP but years back a acoustician was in the EE and went around the ground studying stands.  The work he did would be used to advise the architects on the Ashton Vale design. The stand with the best acoustics was the EE according to this expert.  For us layman the higher the roof and more open it is the worse the acoustics are. Stands might project noise better but that doesn't mean they are great to be in. 

2 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

What I don't understand though is why we have them 3,000 in the first place!!

Thought the new arrangement, probably because of a combination of safety considerations and marginal gains potential, was 2,300. Why did we suddenly give them 3,000?

Who made the decision and why?

I was told it was a West Brom  fan who works for Bristol sport

2 hours ago, Harry said:

Rich. I did read your post. 
My response, evidencing most clubs in our league allow fans behind the goal, was to your specific statement which read “This would not happen at many other clubs”

The only thing was, I wasn't only referring to standing behind the goal. This is what I stated :

"This is what I'm highlighting. Decisions affect football, and it seems particularly at our club. This would not happen at many other clubs, they would find a way around it. To have the "fine margins" in our favour".

The reference to standing behind the goal yesterday was that we had an option to not let it happen but, we didn't exercise that option and I believe we should have. It was only part of my topic but more relevant because it happened yesterday.

1 hour ago, Bar BS3 said:

Yes they did! 
City fans used to moan that the acoustics in the Atyeo were no good - nonsense!

Now they complain that they are too far from the away fans - nonsense! 

The stupid thing is, when Ashton Gate bursts into song, it’s great. As good, if not better than most grounds. 
The reason we get outsung, is because we aren’t singing enough! Simple! 

Run out of likes, this is exactly the reason.

I've been a supporter since 1966 and as I see it, we've always been a reactive fan base. Opposition sing about us, we reply likewise. When things are going well we're a match for any team, when it gets a bit tougher, we tend to get quieter. That's when the opposition get louder. We are a reserved bunch us Bristolians, you only have to attend a concert here to see how hard the band have to work to get the audience to join in.

Archived