IGNORED

Benkovic

WSMRobin

10 minutes ago, WSMRobin said:

I know he scored v Derby but otherwise I have to say I've been unimpressed and feel that we'd have been better off keeping Moore. 

Interested in others opinions, am I alone in my thinking? 

Taylor Moore is a very good player. So far Benkovic looks not to be. He may get better, who knows!

17 minutes ago, Slippin cider said:

I was very surprised that Moore went out on loan again, thought he did and would continue to do a solid job for us ,not really seen enough of Benkovic yet to make an honest judgment. ...:yawn:

I get a weird feeling that we hassled Leicester for him and when it became ‘ doable ‘ we didn’t want to risk spoiling our relationship with them by saying ‘ no thanks ‘ .

So Bye-bye Taylor Moore hello Benko .

Who is the better player ? 

You would think the latter but I think we dropped a cobbler by not persevering with TM who would be and was highly motivated to further his career with us . 

Both players have qualities and faults but TM is ours to develop . 

2 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

I get a weird feeling that we hassled Leicester for him and when it became ‘ doable ‘ we didn’t want to risk spoiling our relationship with them by saying ‘ no thanks ‘ .

You would think the latter but I think we dropped a cobbler by not persevering with TM who would be and was highly motivated to further his career with us . 

Agreed. My thoughts exactly 

I felt sorry for the lad playing on the left side yesterday as all Brom did was press him onto his wrong foot and he was in trouble . With a left footer and arguably our best stopper on the bench LJ takes some of the blame . He’s clearly not match fit . Worst of all he didn’t show well with Williams who looked his age yesterday . Think he will be dropped Tuesday night . Moore would be a better option as he’s ours and will keep developing and gaining valuable experience at this level . 

40 minutes ago, WSMRobin said:

I know he scored v Derby but otherwise I have to say I've been unimpressed and feel that we'd have been better off keeping Moore. 

You are probably not alone, but from limited minutes he looks like he’s got some real quality.  That tackle chasing back yesterday, one such example.

2 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

I think the Moore loan was more to do with Vyner coming back.

Many bemoan goalscoring as being a problem that needed a proven goalscorer in January to remedy the issue, but the reality is that it has been our porous defence that has cost us this season.

Last season a strong defence was formed because, by and large, it remained relatively unchanged with changes only due to short term injuries or Kelly vs Dasilva down the left had side.

By comparison this season has hardly seen 2 successive games where we've kept the same defensive selection. In Lj's defence, for the first half of the season his hand was often forced by injuries, necessitating not only changes in personnel, but also going 3 the the back. I agree with others that Moore  was staring to look more comfortable and confident, and building a decent pairing with Kalas until Kalas's injury. Since then we've seen Williams come in, Baker seeming to become first choice for a while and now Benkovic's arrival means that he is likely to be a first choice on the team sheet.

I'm struggling  to see how continual chopping and changing the back line will help us become more stable and stronger defensively. 

Defensively this season, we have looked better with a combination of Baker & Williams in central defence. The difficulty is that neither are keen on bringing the ball out or got great distribution from the back. Moore could definitely played in a back 3 with those two. 
Benkovic appears to be a replacement for Baker but so far defensively we may have gone backwards, while supposedly improving our passing from the back. I can see Baker playing on Tuesday.

I want to see him In the team alongside Kalas.  In fact injury permitting I just want to see a settled back four until the end of the season with Hunt and Dasilva.  Bentley has different players in front of him each game which doesn’t lead to cohesion.  In fact, just give me a reasonably settled side until May and let them solve any problems they face on the pitch.

1 hour ago, WSMRobin said:

How many games have you seen Benkovic play?.......and yet you’re writing him off  him already.......you must be an excellent judge of a player...............:rofl2br:

Benkovic made a number of very good interceptions yesterday and is clearly a good player. You cannot judge a player after 2/3 games in a new side. He is an improvement to the defence (small margins). Personally I would ease Williams out bring Baker in and nexrt season, if Benkovic improves look to take him on a 12 month loan and let Williams go.

5 minutes ago, downendcity said:

Many bemoan goalscoring as being a problem that needed a proven goalscorer in January to remedy the issue, but the reality is that it has been our porous defence that has cost us this season.

Last season a strong defence was formed because, by and large, it remained relatively unchanged with changes only due to short term injuries or Kelly vs Dasilva down the left had side.

By comparison this season has hardly seen 2 successive games where we've kept the same defensive selection. In Lj's defence, for the first half of the season his hand was often forced by injuries, necessitating not only changes in personnel, but also going 3 the the back. I agree with others that Moore  was staring to look more comfortable and confident, and building a decent pairing with Kalas until Kalas's injury. Since then we've seen Williams come in, Baker seeming to become first choice for a while and now Benkovic's arrival means that he is likely to be a first choice on the team sheet.

I'm struggling  to see how continual chopping and changing the back line will help us become more stable and stronger defensively. 

We have scored a similar amount as those around us but we concede more. Some of the changes have been forced, as was the employing of our new captain. Kalas has been in and out all season due to injury etc, but Baker has been excellent and every time he has a good one he seems to get dropped and we look likely to get beat. I keep getting told on here that our record is very much superior with him in. Nevertheless we bring in Benkovic

Moore has been very good, gets sent out to nowhere any good and let us not forget at the beginning of the season City/LJ would have sold him for chump change.

As Downend implies our problems are far more at the back in theory, in practice its because we currently lose the ball easily, can not get it forward consistently, have a lightweight midfield, are always under pressure and can not keep a settled team due to some misguided football theory that we have to combat everyone else!

We were better when we had an injury crisis, as soon as the injured players came back we struggled I would suggest because our coach/es had less ability to tinker (read **** with) the side and play the 2 thru 5 numbers game!!

I have a feeling LJ may go with a 3 CBs on Tuesday, ie a back 3. Kalas right side, Williams Centre and Baker left. Benković needs to be introduced more gradually; plus his height would be useful off the bench - whether we are looking to hang on or even playing long ball for a winner.  I do wonder whether we may have promised Leicester that Benković will play regularly - or to put it another way perhaps LJ was told that if he wanted to sign Benković he would have to play him regularly because of the financial penalties; hence Benković has come straight in when Baker was playing well and Taylor Moore went out on loan. Just guessing though. 

1 hour ago, WSMRobin said:

10 minutes ago, Robbored said:

How many games have you seen Benkovic play?.......and yet you’re writing him off  him already.......you must be an excellent judge of a player...............:rofl2br:

He didn’t write him off, he said he was unimpressed, has a feeling that keeping Moore would have been better and was interested in other opinions. Its a thread. 

Robbo you are a sad man!!!! Grow up!

1 minute ago, REDOXO said:

He didn’t write him off, he said he was unimpressed, has a feeling that keeping Moore would have been better and was interested in other opinions. Its a thread. 

Robbo you are a sad man!!!! Grow up!

Jeez......unless you’re BobbobSuperBob how can anyone else assess a player who has hardly played? 

Most of us appreciate that it can a few games for new players to settle in and adapt to a new club but that’s clearly lost on the OP..............:cool2:

No doubt that TM will become an excellent CB but clearly he needs more games under his belt and why he’s out on loan again,

39 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

You are probably not alone, but from limited minutes he looks like he’s got some real quality.  That tackle chasing back yesterday, one such example.

I think the Moore loan was more to do with Vyner coming back.

I don’t see the connection Dave , Vyner is injured and unlikely to play .

His wages won’t be excessively high so shouldn’t cause a problem with FFP .

:dunno:

If he looked uncomfortable on the left of Williams that suggests he won't be a good fit with Kalas. I was hoping that LJ would go with this as a pair and stick with it to build an understanding. 

Seems Baker has to start if he is the only one comfortable on the left. So either him and Kalas or 3 CBs with NB on the left and TK on the right. Might be time to 'rest' AW and put Benkovic in as the central CB. 

I wonder just how critical the head coach would have publicly been of Taylor Moore had he made the mistake Williams did yesterday? Obviously this is slightly tongue in cheek, but when Moore lost Pitman in the box for a goal at Portman Road the other year he had to go out on loan for two and a half seasons before he could be considered for selection again.. I personally find it quite distasteful how the head coach seems to find it very easy to pick on some players publicly, but not others..

Obviously I’ve not seen enough of Benkovic to have a firm opinion either way, and I actually thought he was one of the few to do ok yesterday, but personally I think the two centre halves on the bench yesterday (that cost about twelve million between them?) should be the first choice partnership at the back. 

Shipped three at home, centre halves of the quality of Kalas and Baker unable to even get on the pitch. But yeah, the head coach is definitely being asked to do the job with ‘one hand tied behind his back’.

It's the system! 

At least in part. Has to be... 

We see good players regress. We see technical players regress, before our very eyes!!

Benkovic appears to be a ballplaying CB or at least has strong passing attributes. These are best suited in a 4-3-3 so they can step into midfield a bit or as part of a back 3. Both give you more options. 

I fear that it's deeper than the system though. LJ just can't manage them well enough, can't get the best our of them, these types of players.

1 hour ago, Major Isewater said:

I don’t see the connection Dave , Vyner is injured and unlikely to play .

His wages won’t be excessively high so shouldn’t cause a problem with FFP .

:dunno:

It was what I heard....and it corresponded with LJ’s interview on Wednesday that Aberdeen sent him back.  But I don’t know for sure.

5 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

Out of curiosity, why would we have hassled Leicester for Benkovic only to then say no?

I’m sure we would have asked Leicester if he was available and they said yes, as long as we get cover. LJ would then have told Moore it was a deal we were looking at and that their was no point in him sitting in the bench for the rest of the season so go and play week in week out. Only real shock was that he didn’t get a championship move. A Luton or Charlton would have been a great move.

Let’s be honest, we were all pretty excited when we beat off competition to sign a Croatian international. As it is we are yet to see a decent performance from him.

Archived