Jump to content

Recommended Posts

7 hours ago, Robbored said:

There is indeed a project which SL trusts LJ to implement. He thought he could’ve trust SC to implement it having supported the strategy at interview but ultimately he failed to deliver - the main reason he was sacked.

Your’re also right that LJ and MA will be at City for quite some time yet - providing SL continues to see progress season on season.

Why some posters can’t accept that very simple fact is beyond me.

What does SL see as progress ? 
League position ?

Bringing through academy players into the first team ? 


Selling our best prospects for small fortunes ? 

I firmly believe that he hopes for at least a top six finish after the investment in the squad and, especially, in reply to LJ’s public challenge on ‘ ambition ‘ . 
 

SL backed his man if we don’t make the play offs maybe, just maybe, he will decide to ‘ upgrade ‘ the coaching staff as ‘ trust ‘ is important but we are in a results business. 
 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Yep, he’s in the Warnock category = successful ...

The problem with that is success isn’t good enough for many. All the posters who say they want Johnson out say it because of the lack of entertaining football at home. You won’t even get that away with a ‘Warnock type’. I am not saying he is by the way.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

What does SL see as progress ? 
League position ?

Bringing through academy players into the first team ? 


Selling our best prospects for small fortunes ? 

I firmly believe that he hopes for at least a top six finish after the investment in the squad and, especially, in reply to LJ’s public challenge on ‘ ambition ‘ . 
 

SL backed his man if we don’t make the play offs maybe, just maybe, he will decide to ‘ upgrade ‘ the coaching staff as ‘ trust ‘ is important but we are in a results business. 
 

 

Wont happen Major as I've said before it would take a major collapse for LJs position to be even discussed. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, weepywall said:

Wont happen Major as I've said before it would take a major collapse for LJs position to be even discussed. 

I disagree. All managers reach a point of no return. 

If the crowd turns, season tickets sales are slow to be taken up, or if there is player unrest; he will not survive.

I have always thought he should be given a fair crack of the whip, and I think he has been given that. I am now struggling to see him improving things month on month. We have, for sure stagnated this season.

At seasons end, we will all have a better picture of how we have fared. Then, and only then should we take stock in my opinion.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Pheasant plucker said:

I disagree. All managers reach a point of no return. 

If the crowd turns, season tickets sales are slow to be taken up, or if there is player unrest; he will not survive.

I have always thought he should be given a fair crack of the whip, and I think he has been given that. I am now struggling to see him improving things month on month. We have, for sure stagnated this season.

At seasons end, we will all have a better picture of how we have fared. Then, and only then should we take stock in my opinion.

I know what you are saying and I agree with all that but I think LJ has survived a point of no return before that any manager at any other club would not have survived. Like I said a major collapse would see him gone not top half championship.

Link to post
Share on other sites

The “project “ is progressing , the squad is progressing and this year has seen us go for a higher price band of player so the only thing they haven’t upgraded is the coaching team.   If SL thinks they are not up to the “next level” they will be gone    I’ve been a big LJ fan but even I am starting to wonder if he is capable of the next level.   We are lacking one thing that sheff Utd, Leeds, wba have and that’s an identity   We seem to have lost our way .. gone a bit stale even.  It’s obvious we shouldn’t play 4-4-2 against the big boys , we need 3 in midfield imo and work to one system and if it means a big player missing out then so be it.  You don’t see wba change their system to accommodate Charlie Austin or Leeds change theirs to accommodate Nikita.   Let’s get an identity, then we can see if the current setup can coach it 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Buckeyed said:

Out of interest, why would he come to us rather than stay at Preston? I think most would see that as a sideways step..

In the long term we have more potential than Preston. Bigger catchment area, more money - long term potential for Premier League football.

I know it's fashionable to bash the club, but despite results and performances on the pitch - the club as a whole is in a pretty good place. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

What does SL see as progress ? 
League position ?

Bringing through academy players into the first team ? 


Selling our best prospects for small fortunes ? 

I firmly believe that he hopes for at least a top six finish after the investment in the squad and, especially, in reply to LJ’s public challenge on ‘ ambition ‘ . 
 

SL backed his man if we don’t make the play offs maybe, just maybe, he will decide to ‘ upgrade ‘ the coaching staff as ‘ trust ‘ is important but we are in a results business. 
 

 

I think serious questions will be asked this summer if we don’t finish top six. The major concern would be style of play , will the board be happy with that and a drop in league places. 
 

The team has been backed financially In the summer and also in January. We’re not getting the best out of Wells - a player who must have been high in confidence when he joined us, but we don’t appear to be playing to his strengths. 
 

As a club we’ve spent a lot of money, and players we’ve brought in aren’t even getting into the squad. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Whale Eye Beef Hooked said:

Let’s get an identity, then we can see if the current setup can coach it 

We had one of those "identity" things 2 seasons ago with our attacking, high press, passing game. Granted that we ran out of steam as it was just unsustainable, but from that season we should have built on that and adapted that style slightly. We have now turned into generally such a boring, predictable side with no identity whatsoever. It has been 2 seasons of generally utter dross on the p[itch at home and something needs to change quickly imo - regardless of the "League position" argument of improvement.

Link to post
Share on other sites

If LJ goes Macca or Holden will be offered the job, there certainly won't be any 'big names' coming here. The club's philosophy is continuity not revolution, in the past we've appointed previously successful managers who have failed here (SO'D was hailed on here as Championship-proven and that was a disaster)

  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, ashton_fan said:

If LJ goes Macca or Holden will be offered the job, there certainly won't be any 'big names' coming here. The club's philosophy is continuity not revolution, in the past we've appointed previously successful managers who have failed here (SO'D was hailed on here as Championship-proven and that was a disaster)

I reckon Pep could be free soon, bit of an upgrade on Macca/Holden...

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, ashton_fan said:

If LJ goes Macca or Holden will be offered the job, there certainly won't be any 'big names' coming here. The club's philosophy is continuity not revolution, in the past we've appointed previously successful managers who have failed here (SO'D was hailed on here as Championship-proven and that was a disaster)

Joe Jordan must have been the last person we promoted from within to have any success, the others have been hopeless (Lumsden, Osman, Tinnion, Millen). Sure, some external appointments have been bad, but only external appointments have been successful in the last 30 years. An external appointment is nothing to be afraid of, and in my opinion would be foolish to disregard.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Yep, he’s in the Warnock category = successful ...

Every time over the past few months that someone  mentions the fact that we're 7th, XX points off the play offs/top two, year on year improvement, we're told that whilst that may be the case the football is dire and that's what matters. 

Now all of a sudden it seems that what counts is success, not the manner of achieveing it.

I'm confused, what is it we want? Unless we can persuade Jurgen Klopp to come then I'm not sure we're going to get it!

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, italian dave said:

Every time over the past few months that someone  mentions the fact that we're 7th, XX points off the play offs/top two, year on year improvement, we're told that whilst that may be the case the football is dire and that's what matters. 

Now all of a sudden it seems that what counts is success, not the manner of achieveing it.

I'm confused, what is it we want? Unless we can persuade Jurgen Klopp to come then I'm not sure we're going to get it!

Everyone will have a different opinion as it is subjective. Many seem happy to finish 7th with generally boring/poor entertainment at home games. Many want entertaining football and gradually improve that style over time.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Frenchay Red said:

Johnson is head coach. Should he leave his replacement will also be the head coach. 

SL's project does not allow for a manager. If any of the names suggested wanted to be the manager they would not be considered. Not the right fit. They would not be the type of appointment required. Any new head coach must be able to slot into the club's existing setup including MA et al. 

Surely if you are only a coach you should have plenty of timing for coaching. Little evidence of that at AG in recent times

Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Kingswood Robin said:

Joe Jordan must have been the last person we promoted from within to have any success, the others have been hopeless (Lumsden, Osman, Tinnion, Millen). Sure, some external appointments have been bad, but only external appointments have been successful in the last 30 years. An external appointment is nothing to be afraid of, and in my opinion would be foolish to disregard.

A little harsh on Millen, he did quite well really especially considering what was to follow.

Took us to 10th after Johnson left, picked up the pieces from Coppell to finish 15th and then started badly the following season.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, weepywall said:

I know what you are saying and I agree with all that but I think LJ has survived a point of no return before that any manager at any other club would not have survived. Like I said a major collapse would see him gone not top half championship.

I agree with your point. But I believe in the past, with bad runs, LJ was still building and was in massive credit. I don't think that's so much the case now, and, I for one, who was fully behind him, have lost faith in the last few months.

We have a great squad now, he was backed in January, but the football, is, lets face it awful! 

If he gets us top 6 he'll still be supported. If we fade badly, the fooball continues to be very poor, and fans/players stop supporting him, he will be gone. Of that I have little doubt.

As I said in my last post though, it will depend on the last 12 games and lets take stock then.

IMHO he really has lost his way, more concerned with not losing than winning, and his whole ethos is suffering.

Shame really, I was very optimistic a couple of seasons ago!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Kingswood Robin said:

Joe Jordan must have been the last person we promoted from within to have any success, the others have been hopeless (Lumsden, Osman, Tinnion, Millen). Sure, some external appointments have been bad, but only external appointments have been successful in the last 30 years. An external appointment is nothing to be afraid of, and in my opinion would be foolish to disregard.

The only recent appointments which could be considered successful are LJ and his dad, and Cotts (briefly). Danny Wilson was in charge for a long time but couldn't get us out of L1 then you have to go back to John Ward who had a similar record to Cotts. LJ and his dad are the only ones to achieve anything in the Championship

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Clutton Caveman said:

Surely if you are only a coach you should have plenty of timing for coaching. Little evidence of that at AG in recent times

There are a team of coaches, LJ is the head coach.

Just what they are all doing in their various coaching capacities is something of a mystery to those of us watching the games!🤔

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, ashton_fan said:

The only recent appointments which could be considered successful are LJ and his dad, and Cotts (briefly). Danny Wilson was in charge for a long time but couldn't get us out of L1 then you have to go back to John Ward who had a similar record to Cotts. LJ and his dad are the only ones to achieve anything in the Championship

Success to me means getting us up a level from where they started. John Ward, Gary Johnson, Steve Cotterill, all external appointments. No internal appointments have got us promoted since Joe Jordan. Even LJ was an external.

Edited by Kingswood Robin
Typo
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, ashton_fan said:

The only recent appointments which could be considered successful are LJ and his dad, and Cotts (briefly). Danny Wilson was in charge for a long time but couldn't get us out of L1 then you have to go back to John Ward who had a similar record to Cotts. LJ and his dad are the only ones to achieve anything in the Championship

For all Uncle Steve’s faults he has now got us a set up which could prosper in the Prem .

We need a clear way of playing and a squad of football players who know what’s needed and are bought for purpose, that’s where the head coach comes in.

 I am inclined to think that failure to reach the play offs would make life very uncomfortable for SL and if we fall into mid table, once again,  towards the end of this very promising season then a decision needs to be made on whether we stick or twist . 
 

I believe to reach the top sacrifices are needed and this wonderful working relationship that the owner has with his protégé may have to go to be replaced with a new one , perhaps less close but more hard nosed. 
 

I really wish success for SL and for LJ and would be thrilled to bits if we go up . They and us deserve it but is that enough ?

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Alan Dicks said:

Got Norwich up, has worked miracles at PNE on 13k crowds and a tiny budget. 

Couple of seasons ago had a 7th from top finish.

Good replacement for Johnson in the summer if both managers fail to go up?

What's your thoughts?

Why would he leave PNE for us, tbh even the thought is laughable.

Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Rob k said:

I suspect if City wanted Alex Neil we would get him 

That’s what West Brom and Stoke fans said, before he turned them down.

There’s a good chance if we don’t go up that he will not turn down a 3rd big offer and will leave IMO.

But having turned down huge contracts at recent ex-Prem clubs, no disrespect at all intended, he would most likely only leave for a bigger club than Bristol City.

Edited by pnefcok
  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Interesting that last season’s accounts (sorry, RR 😜) showed their first big loss, following a modest profit (not to be under-estimated in the Champ) the year before and small losses the first two seasons up.

C9F7DFD1-B2E6-4215-80E6-5F0F3A5AA58E.thumb.jpeg.db4ea9a1c3d24f23d923ebcc60d2f255.jpeg

@Mortis

@pnefcok

is Hemmings supporting these losses?

is this a bit of a shit or bust season?

They don’t show the sale of Callum Robinson for £7m, which will appear in the following years account. We haven’t really spent much or shown ambition, Sinclair’s wages aside. The wage bill has gone up because the squad is far too big. Probably quantity over quality in some areas like centre forward.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Interesting that last season’s accounts (sorry, RR 😜) showed their first big loss, following a modest profit (not to be under-estimated in the Champ) the year before and small losses the first two seasons up.

C9F7DFD1-B2E6-4215-80E6-5F0F3A5AA58E.thumb.jpeg.db4ea9a1c3d24f23d923ebcc60d2f255.jpeg

@Mortis

@pnefcok

is Hemmings supporting these losses?

is this a bit of a shit or bust season?

Yes

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, pnefcok said:

They don’t show the sale of Callum Robinson for £7m, which will appear in the following years account. We haven’t really spent much or shown ambition, Sinclair’s wages aside. The wage bill has gone up because the squad is far too big. Probably quantity over quality in some areas like centre forward.

Robinson continues to shithouse when playing for someone else 🤣🤣👍🏻

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...