IGNORED

Has anyone else lost the thrill and buzz?

Top Robin

Dont get me wrong, I am City to the core and will always support them but whereas I used to get a buzz and real feeling of excitement a couple of days before a match, at the moment it aint happening. I just can't get enthused any more. Infact, the way we are playing, I now get worried rather than excited before every match and the games feel like a chore rather than a great experience at the moment.  I really hope this changes quickly coz its not fun any more.

Sadly, after 53 years [25/3/67 3-1 vs B'ham City] , I feel exactly the same.

We are now an established Championship side and the moaning is not about that but the fact that others have bypassed [had one or more seasons in the Prem] us when, in days gone by, we would see them as our equal or lower:: Bournemouth, Cardiff, Watford, Hull, Swansea, Burnley, Huddersfield, 

We have had 50 home league games since the defeat against Wolves on the eve of 2018 and we have won just 19 - this is the root cause of the dissatisfaction of many, well it certainly is for me. It is a poor return for the investment that has been made in players and the turgidness of the football is reminiscent of the worst of SOD. I don't buy this "we have sold our best players" - what championship sides don't have to do that and, to a man, they have been replaced by better players. Who'd have thought even 3 years ago we would have had £20M worth of talent sat on the bench?

34 minutes ago, Top Robin said:

Dont get me wrong, I am City to the core and will always support them but whereas I used to get a buzz and real feeling of excitement a couple of days before a match, at the moment it aint happening. I just can't get enthused any more. Infact, the way we are playing, I now get worried rather than excited before every match and the games feel like a chore rather than a great experience at the moment.  I really hope this changes quickly coz its not fun any more.

I felt exactly like that under a previous manager. 

27 minutes ago, Never to the dark side said:

Its called the ageing process,thankfully it has not hit me yet.

Good point John. I haven’t had anything like the same level of anticipation and thrill that I had years ago. I guess it’s the maturity that goes with age.

36 minutes ago, headhunter said:

Sadly, after 53 years [25/3/67 3-1 vs B'ham City] , I feel exactly the same.

We are now an established Championship side and the moaning is not about that but the fact that others have bypassed [had one or more seasons in the Prem] us when, in days gone by, we would see them as our equal or lower:: Bournemouth, Cardiff, Watford, Hull, Swansea, Burnley, Huddersfield, 

We have had 50 home league games since the defeat against Wolves on the eve of 2018 and we have won just 19 - this is the root cause of the dissatisfaction of many, well it certainly is for me. It is a poor return for the investment that has been made in players and the turgidness of the football is reminiscent of the worst of SOD. I don't buy this "we have sold our best players" - what championship sides don't have to do that and, to a man, they have been replaced by better players. Who'd have thought even 3 years ago we would have had £20M worth of talent sat on the bench?

And on top of all this our wonder coach has just realised that we lack some physicality in midfield. !!!

1 hour ago, Top Robin said:

I enjoy home games but I enjoy the experience more than the match. I like going with friends and family, getting a drink before the game, sometimes something to eat etc. The football at home is quite often a bit dull, I don't really like the americanised buildup with Downsy over-excited on the mic, '7 nation army', lights on during evening games.. often quite subdued atmosphere due to distance between our vocal support and away fans.

I think the time I enjoyed home games most was the Playoff season under Gary Johnson. It really felt like we were underdogs, probably a bit like how Sheffield United fans feel in the Prem right now, home games were exciting and we had some fantastic results, atmosphere was great (the re-opened EastEnd with our fans next to away support) and part of me preferred the old version of Ashton Gate. At least the lights were off during night games and '7 nation army' was nowhere to be seen.

I definitely prefer away games these days, atmosphere is better, something to do on a Saturday. Probably helps that we're fairly decent away from home too.  

I think season tickets will still sell well, but there's legitimate concern about home performances, the experience and entertainment value.

Aside from the football.. I feel the club should improve the experience by thinking about the following..

• Changing pre-match music. Easy to change but it feels fairly unanimous that people dislike it.
  • Lights off at night matches. Probably some laborious health and safety reason why this can't happen, but would really help.
  • Take steps to improve atmosphere. To be fair to the club, they are trying. Safe standing is a good step - not necessarily because it'll help the atmosphere but it shows they're receptive to fan desires and value our vocal support. In the past I've felt they've seen our vocal support as an inconvenience.
  • Different match day announcer. I know he's trying and has improved a bit, but I still don't feel it works. Perhaps a different match day role would be better.

1 hour ago, Top Robin said:

City only TR ?
Football generally ?
A combination of Modern Football / exacerbated by City ?

Be interesting to know what age group you are Top Robin  - I’m at those crossroads as It appears quite a few are , and been mulling over the underlying reason

I suspect a lot of those disillusioned , and expressing such thoughts , have been following football and City for quite a time 

2 minutes ago, Badger08 said:

This isn't a dig, but don't go then.  Nobody is forcing anybody to go.  Its a lot of money isn't it if you aren't enjoying it.  I took a break during the SOD time and it was amazing. 

That might work for some people but for others it's part of their identity. It's their routine, they go with friends and family and have done for years. It's not the same as comparing going to City to the cinema, restaurant or theatre because there's not the emotional investment. 

It's a different customer/product relationship entirely and clubs can always be relatively certain of a certain level of attendance regardless how things are going on the pitch. For lots of people it's not as simple as voting with their feet.

Same here unfortunately, me and the lad enjoy the high of the pre match amble, a couple of pints, food outside and a couple of bets - then the game itself is a total downer and actually screwing our day up.

It takes me back to a point I reached when Gary Johnson was in charge, successful at the time but the football was getting dire. I think it's at the point now where we will not be renewing the season ticket. Might just carry on with the pre-match routine and them go home before kick off - a real shame ?

1 minute ago, Badger08 said:

Yeah, to be fair I get that.  Its a funny one for me, I think as I've got older I'm less "emotionally attached".  Don't get me wrong, I'm still emotional and in love with Bristol City, but I think I can rationalise things a bit better.  Does that make sense? 

Yeah I agree, me too. Obviously I want us to win every game, and it can be very frustrating when we lose, but I know how competitive this league is and I'm far less bothered about losing than I used to be.

This weekend for example I was far more excited about the Fury vs Wilder fight than our game with WBA. 

20 minutes ago, Badger08 said:

This isn't a dig, but don't go then.  Nobody is forcing anybody to go.  Its a lot of money isn't it if you aren't enjoying it.  I took a break during the SOD time and it was amazing. 

Totally get that, My son still enjoys going and that still makes me go at the moment. 

3 minutes ago, Riaz said:

Not really. Our home form is disheartening. But that will turn at some point and are striking distance from the play-offs.

The way people talk, you'd think we were in a relegation battle.

I think it will always come down to those who believe the result is everything never mind the performance against those who want to be entertained I suspect.

A lot of posters will emphasise how close we are to play offs but that just doesn't do it for me - if City won all their home matches 1-0 in this division or the Premiership and played the way they are now then as much as I would be pleased for them I wouldn't pay to watch it.

I am probably well in the minority but I pay a lot of money to be entertained, playing crap at home week in week out and scraping wins is not progression in my opinion. League position aside surely we can't continue to accept what we are seeing - remember how many people said they wouldn't touch Sam Allardyce with a barge pole because of his football style - are people now saying the football style doesn't matter cus I'm bloody sure Allardyce would have us in the same league position or better than we are now working with the squad we have.

1 minute ago, Redstart said:

I think it will always come down to those who believe the result is everything never mind the performance against those who want to be entertained I suspect.

A lot of posters will emphasise how close we are to play offs but that just doesn't do it for me - if City won all their home matches 1-0 in this division or the Premiership and played the way they are now then as much as I would be pleased for them I wouldn't pay to watch it.

I am probably well in the minority but I pay a lot of money to be entertained, playing crap at home week in week out and scraping wins is not progression in my opinion. League position aside surely we can't continue to accept what we are seeing - remember how many people said they wouldn't touch Sam Allardyce with a barge pole because of his football style - are people now saying the football style doesn't matter cus I'm bloody sure Allardyce would have us in the same league position or better than we are now working with the squad we have.

A club like ours, punching above its weight, competing with teams who can afford to players massive wages... is gonna find it very hard to play good football all the time!

2 minutes ago, Riaz said:

A club like ours, punching above its weight, competing with teams who can afford to players massive wages... is gonna find it very hard to play good football all the time!

Totally agree, realism is vital these days. That said though we are having to watch crap performances at home against teams that are way below us in that respect.

Setting a City team up to try and negate the opposition all the time instead of setting our team to our own strengths and let them worry about us would be a good start in my opinion.

3 minutes ago, Redstart said:

Totally agree, realism is vital these days. That said though we are having to watch crap performances at home against teams that are way below us in that respect.

Setting a City team up to try and negate the opposition all the time instead of setting our team to our own strengths and let them worry about us would be a good start in my opinion.

We played 4-4-2 yesterday! far too attacking and open in my view and led to making it easy for them!

Been pretty hard going most of this season for many.

Know plenty on here who used to go every home game but now only attend a handful of games. For me it is not about the league position, infact I enjoy the Championship (great division IMO). A really good finish to the season will get me back interested though.

Poor/mediocre home performances is the norm. The best part of going to AG nowadays is the North Street pub crawl we do afterwards. We usually make it to Wetherspooons! 

17 minutes ago, Riaz said:

We played 4-4-2 yesterday! far too attacking and open in my view and led to making it easy for them!

We certainly did.

Dunno about 4-4-2 being an attacking formation at this level these days- how LJ wants it it is but actually these days, this type of a 4-4-2 is best as a reactive or counter pressing formation IMO, at good levels.

See Burnley, see Monk at Birmingham see albeit two years ago Harris at Millwall, see Rowett in the past.

If we want to be attacking, 4-3-3 gives us more cover, gives us more scope to try to control, gives us a bit more security, gives us a bit more margin for error. Soon as I saw the team and guessed the setup I knew we'd struggle!

The substitutions we made vs a side who are away from home and 2 up, a mix of possession and breaks- I remember thinking at the time- 3-0 is far more likely than 2-1 and any type of comeback!

2 hours ago, Top Robin said:

Before West Brom I met up with some friends for a few beers. At 2.30ish I said "let's get this shit out of the way then". I'll renew, but presently for me it is more about the social side before and after the game, right now the match itself can GTF.

Archived