IGNORED

Has anyone else lost the thrill and buzz?

Top Robin

1 hour ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Brentford are a team punching miles and miles above their weight but continue to entertain.

City meanwhile...

54 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Second point is arguable but the players that Brentford have had to replace in recent years is and has been nuts. Lesser budget too!

Is this the same Brentford that spent over £25m on players this season? Around £11m on Jansson and Mbeumo alone? 

Even going back five years now they were spending £8-10m each season.

And before anyone says "they generate the income from transfer fees". Yes, I know that - as do we!

I love what Brentford are doing, but they've built themselves up over a number of years to be in a position where they are hardly skint.

2 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

City only TR ?
Football generally ?
A combination of Modern Football / exacerbated by City ?

Be interesting to know what age group you are Top Robin  - I’m at those crossroads as It appears quite a few are , and been mulling over the underlying reason

I suspect a lot of those disillusioned , and expressing such thoughts , have been following football and City for quite a time 

Yep...mid fifties Bob

2 hours ago, Riaz said:

We played 4-4-2 yesterday! far too attacking and open in my view and led to making it easy for them!

Interesting you thought it was an attacking 442. I didn't. We were very compact, and gave WBA the freedom of the flanks from what I saw and lacked any movement to make it work. Pulis used to play 442 when in charge of us. That was far from attacking too.

3 hours ago, Top Robin said:

Dont get me wrong, I am City to the core and will always support them but whereas I used to get a buzz and real feeling of excitement a couple of days before a match, at the moment it aint happening. I just can't get enthused any more. Infact, the way we are playing, I now get worried rather than excited before every match and the games feel like a chore rather than a great experience at the moment.  I really hope this changes quickly coz its not fun any more.

I agree. When Cotts put the swagger and success back into our club I posted on here about how the buzz had come back and physically going to games had changed from a slow trudge to an expectant stride - because we had a side of which to be so proud and the games were amazing in 2014/2015.

We went from the sad years when it just didn’t happen for McInnes and O’Driscoll to Cotts coming in and saying ‘right then, let’s get a good squad together and bloody well get out of this division quickly’ - and he did it! The mood around the place was soooo much better - and then Cotts quickly became a victim of his own (swift) success at Bristol City.

But let’s hope we can get the buzz back soon, although it may well need a change of manager / head coach to achieve this...

2 hours ago, Riaz said:

Not really. Our home form is disheartening. But that will turn at some point and are striking distance from the play-offs.

The way people talk, you'd think we were in a relegation battle.

We obviously aren’t, so why does it feel like we are more often than not? 

No idea how many times I've heard these kind of comments down the years - the 'its the worst in my x years of watching'. Had the same under Osman, Pulis, Tinnion, GJ when he started, McInnes for half a season, SOD and probably lots of others I haven't mentioned.

At home entertainment value hasn't been great but things can change - we were playing great football 2 years ago and it all comes back round. We used to play great football under Wilson at home but not go up - many hated this and wanted poor football but promotion. Basically you can never please everyone.

I suspect there will be a change in management this season should we not make the PO's as LJ has been given the time and backing in January. I think SL will act as he won't want to see us go backwards. LJ has been given a fair go and backed well (whilst developing players etc) and rightly so. He should get (and will get) until the end of the season.

This is spot on. The football is so boring, we never dominate games and look dangerous. Not sure what happened, our style of play when Bobby was up front was the best ive seen for years. Loved every game, think there was a genuine buzz about the place. We always seem to try and negate what the opposition are going to do, we never play 'our way' and i genuinely don't know what our footballing identity is.

We have some quality players, but it does feel like their ability gets coached out of them and they have to spend all of their time on the pitch worrying about defensive aspects. Not surprising considering we dont ever seem to have sustained periods of possesion where we really break teams down. 

We should be building our team around our strengths, Eliasson wide one side, Palmer behind Wells (actually give him a license to be creative and not have uproar when he loses the ball), Fam is a great second option if that isnt working or in games we are dominant. We have good CB's, good keeper, good LB, Hunt is good in patches but could do with a better right back, but if you play weimann wide right it should give him a bit of protection. 

Then you worry about two in CM who can boss a game with options around them, Henriksen looks like he could be a good player and then needs someone alongside him.

All the foundations are there for a good footballing team in my opinion, and LJ has previously played food football with a worse squad so im not sure why now we try and be so pragmatic that its actually super boring to watch us, if we win its a goal on the break that we probably didnt deserve and than players blocking shots left right and centre when we are under the cosh for the following 89 minutes.

5 minutes ago, Alex_BCFC said:

At home entertainment value hasn't been great but things can change - we were playing great football 2 years ago and it all comes back round.

How is it going to come back around if LJ has no intention to play that way at all? Do we just start from scratch again next season with the same squad and say "we are no going to completely change and play like that"?? We should have carried on from that style back then, there are no signs whatsoever on the pitch that we are suddenly going to click as an entertaining side.

7 minutes ago, wood_red said:

How is it going to come back around if LJ has no intention to play that way at all? Do we just start from scratch again next season with the same squad and say "we are no going to completely change and play like that"?? We should have carried on from that style back then, there are no signs whatsoever on the pitch that we are suddenly going to click as an entertaining side.

I'm not saying it will necessarily come back round under LJ.

25 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Is this the same Brentford that spent over £25m on players this season? Around £11m on Jansson and Mbeumo alone? 

And before anyone says "they generate the income from transfer fees". Yes, I know that - as do we!

I love what Brentford are doing, but they've built themselves up over a number of years to be in a position where they are hardly skint.

They have lost their best players and have built themselves up really well, whilst still playing entertaining football and have kept their "identity" with all the player losses.

Can the same be said for us with the players we have lost over the past few years, we have (in my opinion) a far better overall squad now than when we were playing fantastic football under the same coach just a couple of years ago. We are now the complete opposite of that - it is boring, it seems like a chore to attend home games, the football now isn't even that effective when you get the actual points up we have gained over the last 2 seasons.

18 minutes ago, Alex_BCFC said:

No idea how many times I've heard these kind of comments down the years - the 'its the worst in my x years of watching'. Had the same under Osman, Pulis, Tinnion, GJ when he started, McInnes for half a season, SOD and probably lots of others I haven't mentioned.

I've seen these types of posts under every single manager that's been here over the past 20 years, Cotterill, Gary Johnson included.

1 hour ago, BigTone said:

And are a whole 3 points above us

That's not the point under debate ffs. You might as well have written "the moon is made of cheese" and been as relevant.

The point specifically was that, given some teams operate at a distinct disadvantage in terms of resources how can they be expected to play entertaining football at the same time. It was an attempt to excuse the dire standard of our football by saying we're a small fish in a big pond. I don't accept that premise and cited Brentford as an example of a small fish in the big Championship pond who still manage to entertain their home fans. They even have "an identity"!!!

Furthermore, it's been pointed out several times on this thread, and doubtless on other recent threads too, that the current dissatisfaction of some fans has NOTHING TO DO WITH OUR LEAGUE POSITION. Why some otherwise sentient posters fail time after time to get this into their thick skulls is beyond me.   

Try reading the opening post of this thread and tell me it's got anything to do with our league position.

41 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Maybe I'm overestimating just how much they've brought in but I remember them having a major churn of players I'm recent times. Possibly generation of larger profits for longer. 

Lower running costs as a club maybe too? Just surmising here.

Someone from the football side of the club, Mark Ashton maybe or one of the scouts, should take a walk around the concourses 10 minutes into the second half.  There are hundreds, possibly up to a thousand fans who can't be arsed to go back to their seats. Would rather stay downstairs chatting to mates and having another pint (more £££ for the club!) 

Wouldn't have happened in the old Ashton Gate, bars would close as soon a the second half started. It's more about the whole "matchday experience" now.

47 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Don't disagree with any of that but, despite it, they are still a small fish in terms of resources in the big Championship pond.

Imo.

And as such, the way they play is admirable.

If they're live on the TV I'll make a point of watching because I know it's going to be a good game.

At the moment, if City were playing at the bottom of my garden, I'd draw the curtains. To quote what an ex-Man Utd manager once said about us but seems particularly apposite just now.  

4 hours ago, Never to the dark side said:

Its called the ageing process,thankfully it has not hit me yet.

Huddersfield here I come

I certainly lost the T & B on Saturday, not for the appalling fare, but for the fact that sat in the Dolman in the teeth of a bitter gale, I just couldn't get warm and indeed I left after the third went in ,felt really ill. I guess, as you say, it's an age thing (wouldn't have done that 5 years ago) !

I'm definitely thinking of moving my ST to the the Lansdown next season. As the majority of the weather comes from the west perhaps someone can tell me if the weather is more clement on that side? and also out of the ****** sun (when it does shine ) ?

3 minutes ago, slartibartfast said:

I certainly lost the T & B on Saturday, not for the appalling fare, but for the fact that sat in the Dolman in the teeth of a bitter gale, I just couldn't get warm and indeed I left after the third went in. I guess, as you say, it's an age thing (wouldn't have done that 5 years ago) !

I'm definitely thinking of moving my ST to the the Lansdown next season. As the majority of the weather comes from the west perhaps someone can tell me if the weather is more clement on that side? and also out of the ****** sun (when it does shine ) ?

The Grandstand will be out of the sun but you'll get drenched if it rains, unless you're up in the gods, in which case you'll need binoculars.

55 minutes ago, Alex_BCFC said:

At home entertainment value hasn't been great but things can change - we were playing great football 2 years ago and it all comes back round. We used to play great football under Wilson at home but not go up - many hated this and wanted poor football but promotion. Basically you can never please everyone.

I suspect there will be a change in management this season should we not make the PO's as LJ has been given the time and backing in January. I think SL will act as he won't want to see us go backwards. LJ has been given a fair go and backed well (whilst developing players etc) and rightly so. He should get (and will get) until the end of the season.

Some excellent footballl....................For 2-3 months ....when injuries dictated we kept with the same 11/12..... tinkering not an option

We were dire after Christmas that season

2-3 months ......in Four years 

25 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Maybe I'm overestimating just how much they've brought in but I remember them having a major churn of players I'm recent times. Possibly generation of larger profits for longer. 

Lower running costs as a club maybe too? Just surmising here.

+ £47million in transfer fees (Not accounting for the usual expenses etc) during the four years LJ has been here  

Ive been supporting this club for over 60 years and have seen plenty of ups and downs over that time. Ive seen great managers and terrible managers, promotions and relegations Cup final wins, cup final defeats, great flair players, great work horses. Top flight football, 4th tier football, entertaining football and poor football. The difference with this team/coach today is the total lack of gameplan and identity. I see players looking to the bench for instructions during an attack rather than playing their natural game and finding space. Their is no flair, no instinctive movement, nothing improvised. Its all so mundane and frankly boring. Teams can play poorly, I accept that, but I cant accept lack of effort. Our team are not allowed to play their natural game so they shirk responsibility. That, Im afraid, is down to the coaching. We do not have poor players but we do have poor tactics. Having said all that I shall of course renew my s/t because things can change back again as quickly as it went wrong. I know we are still 7th but does anyone really think we are better than all the teams below us. We could be, if we are allowed to play freely, but at the moment I think the table is misleading.

Perhaps some people are used to the lows and then highs from yo yo-ing between the Championship and League One? Does that give more excitement than ‘just’ being in the Championship for a number of years? Hence the comments re the season under Cotts in League One. I can’t see us ever having as dominant season in the Championship as we did that season in League One. We are just not the big fish in the Championship pond.

I’m still enjoying it and will be renewing but I have had breaks from a season ticket in the past and that can also help rekindle the spirit. 

"The great fallacy is that the game is first and last about winning. It is nothing of the kind. The game is about glory, it is about doing things in style and with a flourish, about going out and beating the lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom."

Very apt quote from Danny Blanchflower Spurs double winning captain in the 60's it would be nice if LJ took this on board

The problem is we're playing like a bottom-6 team at home and a top-4 team away, so home fans aren't seeing enough wins. When we have won at home I've enjoyed the games and gone home happy but the better coaches at the top sides know how to stop us playing with an organised press which LJ needs to find a way around. I'm not too worried about missing out on promotion as we'd see hardly any wins at all then, but we should be doing better at home given the strength of our squad now.

Things are much better than the season under McWinless and SO'D which was truly depressing.

Archived