IGNORED

Has anyone else lost the thrill and buzz?

Top Robin

3 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

We certainly did.

Dunno about 4-4-2 being an attacking formation at this level these days- how LJ wants it it is but actually these days, this type of a 4-4-2 is best as a reactive formation IMO, at good levels.

See Burnley, see Monk at Birmingham see albeit two years ago Harris at Millwall, see Rowett in the past.

I remember thinking at the time- 3-0 is far more likely than 2-1 and any type of comeback!

We said the same after the red card

6 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

We certainly did.

Dunno about 4-4-2 being an attacking formation at this level these days- how LJ wants it it is but actually these days, this type of a 4-4-2 is best as a reactive or counter pressing formation IMO, at good levels.

See Burnley, see Monk at Birmingham see albeit two years ago Harris at Millwall, see Rowett in the past.

If we want to be attacking, 4-3-3 gives us more cover, gives us more scope to try to control, gives us a bit more security, gives us a bit more margin for error. Soon as I saw the team and guessed the setup I knew we'd struggle!

The substitutions we made vs a side who are away from home and 2 up, a mix of possession and breaks- I remember thinking at the time- 3-0 is far more likely than 2-1 and any type of comeback!

We needed a 3 man midfield.

4 minutes ago, BigTone said:

We said the same after the red card

Substitutions though attacking in nature also made it more likely I thought. 

2 minutes ago, Riaz said:

We needed a 3 man midfield.

Agreed.

LJ seems to have some significant tactical shortcomings and recurring ones with little sign of improvement. Either that or he's just stubborn as hell- wants to prove his way is the best way etc and I guess managers need that ego/confidence!

11 minutes ago, BigTone said:

I used jumper loads on mine

Mrs Downend does jumper loads in the washing machine - cool wash of course and don't tumble dry or they shrink!.

4 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Agreed.

LJ seems to have some significant tactical shortcomings and recurring ones with little sign of improvement. Either that or he's just stubborn as hell- wants to prove his way is the best way etc and I guess managers need that ego/confidence!

Thinking he's bowing to the pressure of the crowd.

This squad is made for 3-5-2. But Elliasson does not fit.

Fans wont be happy if he drops elliasson.

1 minute ago, Riaz said:

Good point.

3-5-2 could be alright...maybe even a 3-4-3 if we try and use Eliasson and A.N.Other in a Jota/Costa/Cavaleiro- 2 of those 3 from Wolves 2 years ago.

If we can trust them to tuck in and drift out- could Eliasson do that?

6 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Agreed.

Stubborn like SC and his formation which didn't cut it with the players he had at this level and resulted in his dismissal

Yep, completely lost any real excitement about it. Everything is so incredibly flat.

I know that article in the Post the other week about falling out of love with City was quite widely criticised on here, but I think, and obviously this is just a guess, that in the wider fan base it will have received a much greater level of understanding than it did on here. Look around you at Ashton Gate, look how many people are sat there on their phone, look how many people are just sat there having a chat barely noticing the game, if you have to go down the bottom at any point during it the game notice how busy the concourse always tends to be while the match it still going. As people will correctly point out, going by league position these last few seasons have been some our best in an awfully long time, and yet a large amount of fans seem so incredibly bored and disengaged with the actual games themselves.

Obviously talking about people you know is a tiny sample size of the City fan base, and is miles away from being representative of anything, but every single season ticket holder I know is either renewing next season begrudgingly simply because it’s what they do, I also probably fall into this camp, or really considering whether to not bother, with one lad I know adamant he won’t be renewing after years of being being pretty much ever present home and away watching much worse teams than our current one. For context, all these people have all previously happily bought season tickets during spells in League 1 or after dismal years at this level. 

Going to the football has always been about more than the football itself, but at the moment the game is the least enjoyable bit about a day at the football.

11 minutes ago, Riaz said:

Sometimes being the boss means having to make the right decisions, not the most popular ones.

I’ll be honest, FOMO is the only thing that’s going to get me to renew. Fear that suddenly everything clicks, we start playing entertaining football and we have an exciting season. And this isn’t glory hunting, I’ve seen us far lower home and away and it was still more entertaining than it currently is. 

TBH i've got to the point where I try to just enjoy the game for what it is and appreciate some very exciting opposition players (Bellingham, Sawyers before his red card, Eze, Olise etc, etc). WBA tbf were superb at the weekend. Their workrate at closing us down, superb passing movements with numerous options off the ball, a joy to watch as a football fan. 

I am too long in the tooth to expect much from City so am rarely disapointed.

Hopefully a few more of you will not renew as I want to change seat so will have more / better options for next season....just joking....what else is there to do on a Saturday afternoon except walk thedog and listen to 5 live.

9 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

But continue to play stylish, attractive football that's good to watch.

City meanwhile...

Brentford are a team punching miles and miles above their weight but continue to entertain.

City meanwhile...

Did they lose a 20m player days before the season start?

Their best player in january?

15 minutes ago, Riaz said:

Yes, Maupay.

Second point is arguable but the players that Brentford have had to replace in recent years is and has been nuts. Lesser budget too!

Selling to reinvest is not such a bad idea either, can see interesting examples around Europe and UK, to varying levels but some definite success stories...needs a manager who can and will get the best out of them though! Perhaps out of some of the more established players- LJ or the club seem quite good at improving younger or more raw players but more established or from higher levels...can often stagnate or regress here!

Yet another supporter for over 50 years and i must admit it does seem to be hard going at the mo. Even tho we are just outside the playoffs.As someone has mentioned it does seem too American and i must admit i'm not completely happy with the match day experience these days. Downsey tries his best but  he doesn't do it for me. We need someone with a stronger character, voice and bigger connection with the club (Scotty?) to get the ground going i feel. Also don't like giving the whole of the Atyeo to away fans. With the acoustics in the stand it makes it like a home game for them. Stick them at the top of the Lansdown out the way.  Hasn't stopped me from renewing for next season tho. At the end of the day they are my team and somebody's got to support them week in week out :laugh: Anyways onwards and upwards eh? COYR's. You never know with City we might just go and bloody well do it!

8 minutes ago, Riaz said:

Yes they lost a certain Maupay for 20 million and also lost Konsa for a reported 12 million, add in Sawyers who was a main player for them left too.

You cannot seriously think our football has suddenly plummeted at home due to Brownhill going in January can you (about 3 or 4 games without him)? It has been overall dire for 2 seasons now, the results back that up.

10 minutes ago, Sir Geoff said:

TBH i've got to the point where I try to just enjoy the game for what it is and appreciate some very exciting opposition players (Bellingham, Sawyers before his red card, Eze, Olise etc, etc). WBA tbf were superb at the weekend. Their workrate at closing us down, superb passing movements with numerous options off the ball, a joy to watch as a football fan. 

I am too long in the tooth to expect much from City so am rarely disapointed.

Hopefully a few more of you will not renew as I want to change seat so will have more / better options for next season....just joking....what else is there to do on a Saturday afternoon except walk thedog and listen to 5 live.

That's what I've decided to do - posted as much at half time on Saturday - I enjoyed watching City trying to manage WBA...until we fell apart. 

I've just renewed our STs. We can't get to every game and financially it probably makes more sense to POTD with none of us living in Bristol and my kids having busy lives, but it's great to think there's a seat waiting for us. It would be even better if there was slightly more purposeful and entertaining football to go with it! I look upon it as an investment in the future of the club.

As I too am now 'long in the tooth' I should probably take a long view.

I have said this in a different thread. I love the club but at the moment i don't look forward to going to matches at all. i would rather spend my time at home with the wife and kids [thats saying something] I used to get so excited the night before a match and that is all gone.

The club just seems to be on a different level than the supporters now. yes its probably good for business but for the fans and for football in general it shocking.

I would honestly rather say now that i would rather be back in league 1 watching entertaining football winning games than what we have endured the last 2 years.

People will question why i would rather be in league 1. its because football is about entertainment not who you are playing. its about a day out with friends or family and coming home having enjoyed the day. Every time i get home after a match at the moment im pissed off and that is not right.

You ask many fans from promoted championship teams and they all miss the championship. I worry hugely about becoming to successful if that ever happened. i love the fact we have a local fan base with supports who love the club. i couldn't think of anything worse than becoming a team like man city where people from around the country claim they support a club that they have no real love for. Johnson constantly talks about identity on the pitch but i feel the club has lost its identity off the pitch too. It is no longer the same club i fell in love with when i was a child. 

IMO the Bristol Sport strategy/brand call it what you want, has distanced the club from the fans.

I feel next to no connection with the club like I used to. When I hear the post match presser from Johnson, it sounds to me “oh well, we tried our best but we lost. We go again next game.” It is quite often almost an acceptance to the lost at home again result. 

Where is the grit, determination and passion to succeed at the business end of the season?

1 hour ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

But continue to play stylish, attractive football that's good to watch.

City meanwhile...

Brentford are a team punching miles and miles above their weight but continue to entertain.

City meanwhile...

And are a whole 3 points above us

Archived