IGNORED

Has anyone else lost the thrill and buzz?

Top Robin

1 hour ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Is this the same Brentford that spent over £25m on players this season? Around £11m on Jansson and Mbeumo alone? 

Even going back five years now they were spending £8-10m each season.

And before anyone says "they generate the income from transfer fees". Yes, I know that - as do we!

I love what Brentford are doing, but they've built themselves up over a number of years to be in a position where they are hardly skint.

On half the crowds we get. I wonder what Matthew Benham would do with 20,000 crowds and everything we have here. He, remember, is where SL was before the bulldozers moved in here, in a shitty old ground, hands "tied" by all the things that held us back, apparently, before AG was redeveloped. 

4 minutes ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

On half the crowds we get. I wonder what Matthew Benham would do with 20,000 crowds and everything we have here. He, remember, is where SL was before the bulldozers moved in here, in a shitty old ground, hands "tied" by all the things that held us back, apparently, before AG was redeveloped.

We'll find out soon enough when they move into Lionel Road. They're allegedly selling Griffin Park for around £50m too.

Not since our high press football with Bobby Reid and co have I enjoyed watching City.

The football is boring and it hurts to be impressed by the likes of Leeds Brentford and WBA when they line up against us.

On paper we have a better squad than two years ago, a much larger squad than Leeds, in fact player for player Leeds are no better than us, yet Johnson has done nothing with that talent unlike Bielsa.

Strange really.   Here we are 7th in Championship with a chance of a play off berth and the fans are unhappy.  
I have been consistent in saying we have ground out the wins but not many have also been good performances as well.  The sort of games that give you kick in the arse feeling you have enjoyed a cracking match.  
I understand where fans are coming from saying it’s poor but we are poor and somehow the top end of  the championship.  
 Look at M’boro.  we would be in melt down if we were  in that spot .  
I will be renewing my season ticket.   But I am not happy with the way we play and the almost zero excitement at home games. Comments that the gaffer came out with after the WBA game that not much is wrong hardly inspires you. One shot on goal 

5 hours ago, headhunter said:

Sadly, after 53 years [25/3/67 3-1 vs B'ham City] , I feel exactly the same.

We are now an established Championship side and the moaning is not about that but the fact that others have bypassed [had one or more seasons in the Prem] us when, in days gone by, we would see them as our equal or lower:: Bournemouth, Cardiff, Watford, Hull, Swansea, Burnley, Huddersfield, 

We have had 50 home league games since the defeat against Wolves on the eve of 2018 and we have won just 19 - this is the root cause of the dissatisfaction of many, well it certainly is for me. It is a poor return for the investment that has been made in players and the turgidness of the football is reminiscent of the worst of SOD. I don't buy this "we have sold our best players" - what championship sides don't have to do that and, to a man, they have been replaced by better players. Who'd have thought even 3 years ago we would have had £20M worth of talent sat on the bench?

Sure that was my first game as well; lost interest when the Eastend and Williams got chopped myself;

I see that rail seats/and standing are making a return, thats a start; LJ leaving and pride, passion and belief returning could well revive my interest again.

At well past 60 now, would love the incentive to return, could be waiting a while yet I think. ?

1 hour ago, slartibartfast said:

I certainly lost the T & B on Saturday, not for the appalling fare, but for the fact that sat in the Dolman in the teeth of a bitter gale, I just couldn't get warm and indeed I left after the third went in ,felt really ill. I guess, as you say, it's an age thing (wouldn't have done that 5 years ago) !

I'm definitely thinking of moving my ST to the the Lansdown next season. As the majority of the weather comes from the west perhaps someone can tell me if the weather is more clement on that side? and also out of the ****** sun (when it does shine ) ?

Most definitely better than the Dolman. Warmer, drier, more leg room, no sun. Come on over, it's much better.

56 minutes ago, slartibartfast said:

Sorry, are we saying anywhere in the lower Lansdown you'll get wet?, cheers 

No you won't. I sit in row 27 and have friends in 21 none of us get wet. The areas below the Vomitories (sorry Dolly) are subject to a little blown moisture. Having said that, two years ago against Ipswich, the snow was blowing up as far as our row. 

Brentford, Goals Scored etc, following their return, a season before us in 2014:

14/15   GS 78   GD +19!  Finished 5th             

15/16   GS 72   GD +5    Finished 9th.           Us  GS 54

16/17   GS 75  GD +10  Finished 10th.         Us  GS 60

17/18   GS 62  GD +10  Finished 9th             Us  GS 67

18/19   GS 73  GD +14   Finished 11th.         Us  GS 59

19/20   GS 56  GD +27!                                    Us  GS 48

Brentford : bit more lively than us, bit more worth getting out of bed for. And top half finishes every time. All this with manager"churn," let alone players coming in and going out. We really could be doing more with what we have at our disposal.

Our best GD was +9 in 17/18 with the rubbish Flint, Wright, Frankie, Pack and co. And perhaps the season where we were as lively/watchable as Brentford (appear to have been), for three months of it, at least.

2 minutes ago, Rich said:

No you won't. I sit in row 27 and have friends in 21 none of us get wet. The areas below the Vomitories (sorry Dolly) are subject to a little blown moisture. Having said that, two years ago against Ipswich, the snow was blowing up as far as our row. 

Does any ‘blown moisture’  have any effect on the vol au vents and nibbles Rich ?

?

4 minutes ago, Rich said:

At least I'll get back to where I started in '65 !    ?

2 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Does any ‘blown moisture’  have any effect on the vol au vents and nibbles Rich ?

?

Wouldn't know, I wouldn't lower myself by going down there. My pastry and sandwiches are nice, just the right amount of moisture. Not happy with the moisture in my pants though.

6 minutes ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

We really could be doing more with what we have at our disposal.

We could also be doing a lot worse. It's quite telling that the only example people are able to give is: Brentford. 

Yep, they'll always be sides that go on a run and dramatically exceed expectations. Always be a load of teams under-achieving. We're usually the latter...

Terrible thing to admit but we have three ST's and we've missed more home games than we've attended this season.

I feel for LJ in one sense as he has no option but to sell our best players to help balance the books, but despite this, we haven't had a bad season based on our league position.

That said I find the football at home far  too defensive and boring, and his tactics baffle us constantly, to me the best form of defence is attack and it's only when we go at a team teams that we are effective and the crowd comes to life.

I expect this though as having followed City for over 30 years and being a ST holder for most of that, I've got used to being disappointed, if you don't expect success you don't get disappointed when like on Saturday we get totally stuffed.

My bigger concern though is that whilst SL wants to run City as a self-supportive business, we will always be trying to 'balance the books' and will never reach the promised land - even if we were to, he's already said he wouldn't spend out to try and stay there?! If he really does want us to get to the PL in his lifetime, and as he has many, many millions to spare, why wouldn't he want to go for it, after all, the prize is massive as demand across the South West for tickets would always fill a massive stadium.

In summary, I've found the last couple of seasons to be boring and generally lacking any form of entertainment, the football is generally backwards and defensive in nature, sorry, but that's my view.

Finally, I will be reviewing our ST's but more out of loyalty to City rather than actually looking forward to going..! 

Win tomorrow and this forum will take a U turn. I've watched city the least this year, we don't exactly play exciting football. 

We'll probably win a handful more games to give us hope but fall/stay in 7-8th. LJ will stay and he'll be here next season and no matter the signings the performances will be the same 20/21 and I'd bloody love to be wrong. 

Preston will completely shag us in the last game

12 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

We could also be doing a lot worse. It's quite telling that the only example people are able to give is: Brentford. 

Yep, they'll always be sides that go on a run and dramatically exceed expectations. Always be a load of teams under-achieving. We're usually the latter...

OK. Preston. They pass it around and punch above their weight too.

As to your second sentence, that sounds to me like yet another reference to results, where we are in the league table, rather than performance. In which case, rather than burst another blood vessel, I'll refer you to post #75.

25 minutes ago, PFree said:

Terrible thing to admit but we have three ST's and we've missed more home games than we've attended this season.

I feel for LJ in one sense as he has no option but to sell our best players to help balance the books, but despite this, we haven't had a bad season based on our league position.

That said I find the football at home far  too defensive and boring, and his tactics baffle us constantly, to me the best form of defence is attack and it's only when we go at a team teams that we are effective and the crowd comes to life.

I expect this though as having followed City for over 30 years and being a ST holder for most of that, I've got used to being disappointed, if you don't expect success you don't get disappointed when like on Saturday we get totally stuffed.

My bigger concern though is that whilst SL wants to run City as a self-supportive business, we will always be trying to 'balance the books' and will never reach the promised land - even if we were to, he's already said he wouldn't spend out to try and stay there?! If he really does want us to get to the PL in his lifetime, and as he has many, many millions to spare, why wouldn't he want to go for it, after all, the prize is massive as demand across the South West for tickets would always fill a massive stadium.

In summary, I've found the last couple of seasons to be boring and generally lacking any form of entertainment, the football is generally backwards and defensive in nature, sorry, but that's my view.

Finally, I will be reviewing our ST's but more out of loyalty to City rather than actually looking forward to going..! 

"Balancing the books" is not so much to make the club self-supportive, but so that the club remains within ffp limits. Despite player sales we are still making losses close to the limits ( Davefevs and Mr Popodopolous will know the exact figures)  so it is only by clever buying and selling that we can "balance the boos" in order to meet ffp requirements.

FFp mean that it doesn't mater how many millions the owner has, any championship club is only allowed to make losses of no more than £39m (IIRC) over a 3 year period.

SL has dipped into his millions by spending where ffp does allow - the redeveloped Ashton Gate and that academy and training ground.

In any event, buying Wells in the January window would seem to me that "statement of intent" that many fans say we have failed to make in previous January windows and would also seem to indicate the owner being prepared to go for it, given that we also made loan loan deals for Benkovic and Hendrikson. I don't think the owner's commitment or intent is the problem, or the cause of our continuing disappointing home form and results. That is down to other factors and I think much more to do with the head coaches tactical approach.

It would be interesting to know whether SL has lost the thrill and buzz when he attends home games and whether it concerns him, or is he looking at a bigger picture than do the fans?

9 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Brentford have the same sort of "plan" as us, so seem to be quite comparable, so I do not see why we shouldn't use them as an example. They buy low and sell high (generally). Yet they still seem to play some really good football (albeit inconsistently) and still seem to be improving. We seem to be spending more on quality potential players now for hopefully bigger profits in the future, but have a massively bloated squad and the wages must be crazy, which in turn means we probably have to sell players quickly to afford the others that have been brought in. On the pitch we are regressing in the entertainment side of things. Many are fed up with what is on offer, but still people say "we are 7th though" as if everything is great - I agree as a club overall it is, as far as the football on offer is then it certainly is not in my opinion.

Only a small percentage of fans come on here so you won't get the full picture, but many I know just seem fed up with it, as there just seems to be no "footballing" plan bar scrape and grind out a 1-0 win if possible. Most people will renew their season tickets as it is their family day out, their only day out socially with mates, some will be their only pass of the week from the wife!! There will also be a fair few who have had enough of what is on show and won't renew though, some of them will be replaced with newcomers etc. I would put money on it that season ticket renewals, percentage wise, will be lower than what it was in the last couple of seasons though, but we will never be told this figure I doubt.

Genuinely not 100% convinced about LJ.

I wasn't overly impressed when he was announced.  But in fairness he kept the team up, has managed to get the club higher up the table each year.

Yes he has unearthed/developed some talent, Bobby Reid.  However, I am unsure as to what an LJ team plays/looks like?  Genuinely I am.

I watched us versus Leeds and Leeds play with an identity.  Lots of overlapping runs for instance.  

Just my opinion, but I wonder if :

LJ was better when he had a limited squad and was forced to squeeze the best out of them.  It seems like having a stronger squad is actually detremental for him

Or does he think that now he has a stronger squad he has to play uber hip football that is straight out of Football Coaches Weekly.   And that is our downfall

Honestly I wasnt super excited to learn he was going to be manager and I wouldnt be sad to see him replaced.  Nothing personal, just think maybe we need that little bit of quality

5 hours ago, Badger08 said:

This isn't a dig, but don't go then.  Nobody is forcing anybody to go.  Its a lot of money isn't it if you aren't enjoying it.  I took a break during the SOD time and it was amazing. 

That’s easy enough to say, but if you’ve got an ST with a really good seat and a good crowd of people around you, why should you have to?

It’s not that people are complaining about poor results, it’s the mind numbingly dull and negative football with no prospect of improvement in sight.  

The excuses have run out now, as we don’t have a load of players we’re waiting on coming back from injury and we’ve had a few games since our new signings arrived in the January window. LJ has proved over 4 years that he hasn’t got a magic wand to wave and he sure as hell doesn’t have the ability to raise performances in any other way.

The football under SOD was shite but I managed to stick it out through that, but this feels worse because you can see LJ has far better players to work with, but just doesn’t know how to use them.

4 minutes ago, BrizzleRed said:

That’s easy enough to say, but if you’ve got an ST with a really good seat and a good crowd of people around you, why should you have to?

It’s not that people are complaining about poor results, it’s the mind numbingly dull and negative football with no prospect of improvement in sight.  

I agree with this.

The excuses have run out now, as we don’t have a load of players we’re waiting on coming back from injury and we’ve had a few games since our new signings arrived in the January window. LJ has proved over 4 years that he hasn’t got a magic wand to wave and he sure as hell doesn’t have the ability to raise performances in any other way.

But not this - Afobe is still injured, Naggy not fully fit, Kalas not fully fit. The new players have had 5 games!  Two of them were not fully fit when they arrived and our last two games were against the best and highest positioned teams n the league. It's hardly a crazy amount of time!

The football under SOD was shite but I managed to stick it out through that, but this feels worse because you can see LJ has far better players to work with, but just doesn’t know how to use them.

It was definitely worse under SOD and so was our league position.  

10 minutes ago, BrizzleRed said:

As a Manager you can get away with achieving playing pragmatic or even boring football

You wont last long if you neither achieve or entertain  

52 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

We could also be doing worse, yes, absolutely. 

We could be doing more with what we have at our disposal, and we could be doing less. But we can be forgiven for wanting just a little bit more than we are currently getting, as I am fairly sure SL will be thinking.

Because "we could be doing worse" is mediocre thinking, standard Bristol City thinking, and not the sort of thinking that typically leads to great success. Which is what SL is after, I believe.

7 hours ago, Top Robin said:

Dont get me wrong, I am City to the core and will always support them but whereas I used to get a buzz and real feeling of excitement a couple of days before a match, at the moment it aint happening. I just can't get enthused any more. Infact, the way we are playing, I now get worried rather than excited before every match and the games feel like a chore rather than a great experience at the moment.  I really hope this changes quickly coz its not fun any more.

Didn't renew this season after 10 plus years due to the poor entertainment on show and have to say i don't miss it one bit.... Nothings changed by the looks of things!! 

9 minutes ago, downendcity said:

Tried that but it singed her eyebrows . :) 

You have to make sure she’s wearing wellington boots ,

or the alternative is to ensure she’s ‘earthed’ first

Some Duct tape and a couple of metres of cable would do the trick

?

PS Turn your tele off first in case there’s an electrical surge

Archived