IGNORED

Has anyone else lost the thrill and buzz?

Top Robin

3 hours ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

That's not the point under debate ffs. You might as well have written "the moon is made of cheese" and been as relevant.

The point specifically was that, given some teams operate at a distinct disadvantage in terms of resources how can they be expected to play entertaining football at the same time. It was an attempt to excuse the dire standard of our football by saying we're a small fish in a big pond. I don't accept that premise and cited Brentford as an example of a small fish in the big Championship pond who still manage to entertain their home fans. They even have "an identity"!!!

Furthermore, it's been pointed out several times on this thread, and doubtless on other recent threads too, that the current dissatisfaction of some fans has NOTHING TO DO WITH OUR LEAGUE POSITION. Why some otherwise sentient posters fail time after time to get this into their thick skulls is beyond me.   

Try reading the opening post of this thread and tell me it's got anything to do with our league position.

I am well aware of the opening post but as you will see if you took time to read the thread has evolved from that. Like you I am amazed at those who are as thick as a slurry pit full of pig crap cannot understand this.

Let me explain a few facts to you. Our league position is very relevant because it gives an indication of our seasons form. We have a thing called promotion and relegation which I will try and explain the concept of another time so as not to confuse you. As it stands we are 7th (that is one place below 6th in case you are still confused). Fans have every right to be dissatisfied and can feel however they like. I was at the game against WBA and we were crap with no excuses, however this is football. We bounce back tomorrow and win a few on the trot then all will be rosy again.

By the way the moon is made of cheese cos my Mum said so FFS.

5 hours ago, Natchfever said:

Stubborn like SC and his formation which didn't cut it with the players he had at this level and resulted in his dismissal

Yeah, I think so.

Time will tell as to whether LJ turns around his mindset and tries something that might give us a crack at getting the best out of this squad and there is still time, but the signs aren't promising- think top 6 is the expectation this season, or certainly should be! If we miss the playoffs, well there will be questions about his position for sure.

3 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Yeah, I think so.

Time will tell as to whether LJ turns around his mindset and tries something that might give us a crack at getting the best out of this squad and there is still time, but the signs aren't promising- think top 6 is the expectation this season, or certainly should be! If we miss the playoffs, well there will be questions about his position for sure.

Despite previous posts I should point out that I do not sit in the "LJ in" camp. Football is results based (hence the league table) and I am of the opinion that changes could be made if we fail to at least make the play offs this season. To change anything now would be akin to hoisting the white flag and a backward step.

12 minutes ago, BigTone said:

I am well aware of the opening post but as you will see if you took time to read the thread has evolved from that. Like you I am amazed at those who are as thick as a slurry pit full of pig crap cannot understand this.

Let me explain a few facts to you. Our league position is very relevant because it gives an indication of our seasons form. We have a thing called promotion and relegation which I will try and explain the concept of another time so as not to confuse you. As it stands we are 7th (that is one place below 6th in case you are still confused). Fans have every right to be dissatisfied and can feel however they like. I was at the game against WBA and we were crap with no excuses, however this is football. We bounce back tomorrow and win a few on the trot then all will be rosy again.

By the way the moon is made of cheese cos my Mum said so FFS.

The thread may well have evolved - but not the point I was debating. 

In which case, perhaps you should have replied to a different post?

4 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

The thread may well have evolved - but not the point I was debating. 

In which case, perhaps you should have replied to a different post?

You used Brentford as an example. I merely pointed out the difference in league position between the two hence the reason I replied to your post.

12 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Yeah, I think so.

I’ve said before recently , the final league position will have no bearing on my opinion

(Assuming we don’t actually get promoted)

He has , as he’s recently admitted ‘every club in the bag now’

i would like / want to see an actual plan on how we are going to play , not on a random match by match basis, and see signs we are building the basis  for a serious top two assault / go next season 

I actually think he appears totally lost and confused by options , and reminds me of a cricket captain who moves somebody to long leg after consecutive balls have gone for four down there 

25 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

You have to make sure she’s wearing wellington boots ,

or the alternative is to ensure she’s ‘earthed’ first

Some Duct tape and a couple of metres of cable would do the trick

?

PS Turn your tele off first in case there’s an electrical surge

Any sort of surge would be good!

4 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

I’ve said before recently , the final league position will have no bearing on my opinion

(Assuming we don’t actually get promoted)

He has , as he’s recently admitted ‘every club in the bag now’

i would like / want to see an actual plan on how we are going to play , not on a random match by match basis, and see signs we are building the basis  for a serious top two assault / go next season 

I actually think he appears totally lost and confused by options , and reminds me of a cricket captain who moves somebody to long leg after consecutive balls have gone for four down there 

You've gone and done it now Bob.

If LJ reads this he will doubtless switch Elliason to long leg for Huddersfield with Patterson opening the bowling with 3 slips and a gully 

5 hours ago, Riaz said:

Thinking he's bowing to the pressure of the crowd.

This squad is made for 3-5-2. But Elliasson does not fit.

Fans wont be happy if he drops elliasson.

I agree, we need to adapt to 3-5-2 NOW.

If it is true that Eliasson's agent has a summer move lined up for him to Lazio; then there is no way he will be staying here. Lazio are almost certain to be in the Champions League next season.

For the rest of this season go 3-5-2, and change formation to accomodate Eliasson later in the game, if we need to.

It's hard to get exited about something totally impotent. After Leeds (a) and the last game with WBA it was clear we were going to be in great trouble. We had to adopt to that. Dig deep. Defend. Put in an effort. Win the crowd over. We had no clue.. Zero.. You need to have a plan what to do when you for once you get a free kick at their half. Chill down. Get the tall boys in to the penalty area. Let Eliasson take the cross. All total obvious. This is one of very few chances we are going to have to score all game. This is our chance. After 8 minutes we got a corner. The idea was to let Hunt play the ball short to Eliasson for him to pass his opponent and get a cross in to the penalty area. Eliasson got marked though and what happens? The obvious thing after one weeks learning at the training ground was Eliasson taking the corner. But NO. Hunt takes a pointless backspinner in to the box. Totally braindead and totally shit management. How many weeks of training do you need for the obvious??????????????????????????????????????? 

41 minutes ago, BigTone said:

Despite previous posts I should point out that I do not sit in the "LJ in" camp. Football is results based (hence the league table) and I am of the opinion that changes could be made if we fail to at least make the play offs this season. To change anything now would be akin to hoisting the white flag and a backward step.

Or , alternatively, bringing in a top coach now would show we mean business and are prepared to take the risk to get to the Prem.

Didn’t Wolves sack their manager a few seasons back and nobody could understand it ? 

Clubs do this quite frequently I believe.

I still believe that we are Bristol Cosy Football club and would like to see a bit more steely determination.

39 minutes ago, BigTone said:

You used Brentford as an example. I merely pointed out the difference in league position between the two hence the reason I replied to your post.

Yes, Brentford as an example of a small fish in a big pond still managing to play attractively.

Not Brentford, look at their league position I wish we were as high up the league as them.

This is painful, I give up.  

2 hours ago, Sturny said:

Win tomorrow and this forum will take a U turn. I've watched city the least this year, we don't exactly play exciting football. 

We'll probably win a handful more games to give us hope but fall/stay in 7-8th. LJ will stay and he'll be here next season and no matter the signings the performances will be the same 20/21 and I'd bloody love to be wrong. 

Preston will completely shag us in the last game

Be all over b4 we play them m8 long b4. 

For me, the game itself has become very homogeneous. Much like a lot of the characterless new stadiums, there's very little to distinguish one team from another nowadays. Games have become a war of attrition. I blame it mostly on the vastly improved fitness levels, with average players frequently stifling someone who is much more naturally gifted. The kind of characters who stood out in the 60s, 70s, and 80s would be nowhere near as prominent in today's game. And the game itself is no longer the free-flowing spectacle it used to be (rugby has suffered even worse). Don't get me wrong, I still get a buzz on match day - even though I have to settle for watching the game on live stream (living in the States). Going to Ashton Gate whenever I come back to visit will always be a treat, although the experience doesn't always match the anticipation.

6 hours ago, slartibartfast said:

I certainly lost the T & B on Saturday, not for the appalling fare, but for the fact that sat in the Dolman in the teeth of a bitter gale, I just couldn't get warm and indeed I left after the third went in ,felt really ill. I guess, as you say, it's an age thing (wouldn't have done that 5 years ago) !

I'm definitely thinking of moving my ST to the the Lansdown next season. As the majority of the weather comes from the west perhaps someone can tell me if the weather is more clement on that side? and also out of the ****** sun (when it does shine ) ?

The weather is always fine in the Lansdown. Yes the first 10 rows get wet when it's raining. I always remember asking my Grandad why he never sat in the Dolman when he had  a season ticket in the early 70's. "Cos it's windy and the sun's always in your eyes" was his reply. To this day I have never sat there and always remember those wise words when it's sunny and the first 20 rows or so are blinded.

4 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

As a Manager you can get away with achieving playing pragmatic or even boring football

You wont last long if you neither achieve or entertain  

Yep very true and I think that’s what’s in his favour at the moment, as there are a fair few points being dropped by our rivals.

What scares me is I absolutely detest Warnock style  hoofball, but I’ve got to concede that style also comes with some passion, intensity and excitement and that’s three things we’re sadly lacking.

I find it hard to accept after all the transfer windows, millions spent and four years to build a team, we’re watching something even worse than Warnockball!!!

35 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

By all means have the last word if it makes you feel better "big" tone but much better keeping it relevant to the point under discussion. 

I did, you didn't "Marvel". 

Using inverted commas does make you feel smart & sarcastic at the same time don't you think ?

4 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

Or , alternatively, bringing in a top coach now would show we mean business and are prepared to take the risk to get to the Prem.

Didn’t Wolves sack their manager a few seasons back and nobody could understand it ? 

Clubs do this quite frequently I believe.

I still believe that we are Bristol Cosy Football club and would like to see a bit more steely determination.

Won't happen Your Maj

12 hours ago, Top Robin said:

Dont get me wrong, I am City to the core and will always support them but whereas I used to get a buzz and real feeling of excitement a couple of days before a match, at the moment it aint happening. I just can't get enthused any more. Infact, the way we are playing, I now get worried rather than excited before every match and the games feel like a chore rather than a great experience at the moment.  I really hope this changes quickly coz its not fun any more.

True mate if i didnt meet my mates for a few beers i could easily knock it in the head after close on 60 years the football served up is draining me.

13 hours ago, BigTone said:

I did, you didn't "Marvel". 

Using inverted commas does make you feel smart & sarcastic at the same time don't you think ?

Nope. "Please do as the slurry pit is getting deeper" is in no way relevant to a debate about whether City can manage to be both successful and entertaining in a division as tough as the Championship.

To be irrelevant once may be regarded as unfortunate, "big" tone; to do so twice looks like carelessness.

19 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Nope. "Please do as the slurry pit is getting deeper" is in no way relevant to a debate about whether City can manage to be both successful and entertaining in a division as tough as the Championship.

To be irrelevant once may be regarded as unfortunate, "big" tone; to do so twice looks like carelessness.

Good idea to read the post in context to others and a comment you made in one of your own.

Archived