IGNORED

How bad does it have to get

Clutton Caveman

I just wonder how bad things have to get before some sort of pressure comes onto LJ by the owners

Week after week we see the same problems

No movement off the ball so we pass sideways or backwards or hoof it towards Fam

Constantly out muscled in midfield winning almost no 50-50 balls and nothing in the air. (finally our genius coach says "we lacked physicality in midfield) How can he be surprised when he buys and plays midgets. How he can pick Nagy is beyond me. What does he offer? and why can he not pass. Surely Joe Morrel could add more than this journeyman.

We play DeSilva and Eliasson on one side which is an invitation for the opposition to load a big guy out there and walk past us

When was the last time we saw a free kick routine from the training ground

When was the last time we saw our players using black arts like the "tactical foul" that all teams employ against us

How often do we get a ball out wide in advanced positions only to find that our player out there is isolated and his team mates show no inclination to bust a gut to get up in support 

How often do we see our players look up, see nobody showing for a pass and after hitting it long, then show massive frustration asking for options

On Saturday we saw Eliasson stay on the centre circle for WBA corners keeping 2 tall players out of the game. How did he then for the next corners come back into his box bring one giant with him and another just outside of the box.

How often do we see away teams at AG leave nobody up for our corners.

Each week we see opposition managers fully engaged with there team, encouraging, instructing and having an influence where our man prefers to winge to the 4th official.

I played football for 28 years, I have watched City for far longer I for me it is obvious that this coach has run his cycle, run out of ideas, run out of energy, run out of self belief and run out of credibility with his players and the fans.

All of the above problems have existed for months yet do we see anything happening to correct them? I have rarely seen a BCFC team p[lay with so little belief at AG.

So again I ask JUST HOW BAD DOES IT HAVE TO GET BEFORE LJ IS REPLACED.

I could go on for pages and I challenge anyone to write 10 positive points that LJ is currently bring to the team.

10 minutes ago, Clutton Caveman said:

I just wonder how bad things have to get before some sort of pressure comes onto LJ by the owners

No movement off the ball so we pass sideways or backwards or hoof it towards Fam

Constantly out muscled in midfield winning almost no 50-50 balls and nothing in the air. (finally our genius coach says "we lacked physicality in midfield) How can he be surprised when he buys and plays midgets. How he can pick Nagy is beyond me. What does he offer? and why can he not pass. Surely Joe Morrel could add more than this journeyman.

We play DeSilva and Eliasson on one side which is an invitation for the opposition to load a big guy out there and walk past us

When was the last time we saw our players using black arts like the "tactical foul" that all teams employ against us

How often do we get a ball out wide in advanced positions only to find that our player out there is isolated and his team mates show no inclination to bust a gut to get up in support 

How often do we see our players look up, see nobody showing for a pass and after hitting it long, then show massive frustration asking for options

On Saturday we saw Eliasson stay on the centre circle for WBA corners keeping 2 tall players out of the game. How did he then for the next corners come back into his box bring one giant with him and another just outside of the box.

Each week we see opposition managers fully engaged with there team, encouraging, instructing and having an influence where our man prefers to winge to the 4th official.

I played football for 28 years, I have watched City for far longer I for me it is obvious that this coach has run his cycle, run out of ideas, run out of energy, run out of self belief and run out of credibility with his players and the fans.

All of the above problems have existed for months yet do we see anything happening to correct them? I have rarely seen a BCFC team p[lay with so little belief at AG.

I could go on for pages and I challenge anyone to write 10 positive points that LJ is currently bring to the team.

When dont have a chance of the play-offs?

When he stops improving us year on year, despite losing best players constantly?

Maybe when we arent easily top half??

17 minutes ago, Clutton Caveman said:

Ok so Saturday we were crap against the side in 1st position (maybe just maybe they were good). We are still in 7th with a big chance of making the play offs FFS. I'm sure you could go on for pages but despite playing football for 28 years most of it will be bollocks.

2 minutes ago, Clutton Caveman said:

I feel your pain bud, but while we are where we are in table nothing is going to change.

in terms of 10 positives, i cant think of 10, but we have to acknowledge the role lj has had in terms of improving players and selling them at huge profits, Repeatedly, bringing in transfer revenues that has barely been seen at this level. He also has had to deal with losing his best players, repeatedly, and having to come up with replacements from either within the squad or from outside. 

i would also suggest there is some kind of conflict/ disconnect between what johnson needs in the team compared to what ashton and the club is looking at in terms of signing players with future transfer profits. But you could argue that the kalas and wells transfers are bringing that back to more neutral. However, theres are probably at least 20/30 players who have been brought in, some for millions of pounds, who really havent been up to standard, and lj and ashton have to take responsibility for that.

in terms of organisation and fighting spirit we are struggling, and when you are having to entertain 22000 fans every other week and not doing a very good job at it, it just doesnt feel very positive.

but would we have taken our current league position at the start of the season? Yes we probably would have.

5 minutes ago, Clutton Caveman said:

I notice you havent attempted the 10 positive points that LJ brings just now. Also which of the above points I raised do you not agree with. Or was I watching a different game?

He improves players, to the point they become premier league players.

He has improved our points tally year on year.

He has a connection and cares about the club.

He's not moaning when the inevitable sale of our players to bigger clubs come.

When he does build a team, they can play great football (go and watch the highlights of the first Man City game)

Gives youngsters a go.

Builds good relationships with the really big clubs to bring in quality players on loan (Tammy Abraham, Kalas etc)

Is able to spot the attributes of a talented player, change his position, to make them successful (Bobby Reid)

Is willing to work the way SL wants. (develop young players mainly)

He is young himself and will improve as a manager.

Thats 10.

12 minutes ago, BigTone said:

Ok so Saturday we were crap against the side in 1st position (maybe just maybe they were good). We are still in 7th with a big chance of making the play offs FFS. I'm sure you could go on for pages but despite playing football for 28 years most of it will be bollocks.

I understand what your saying Tone, and I'm not convinced with all of the OP points. BUT, to see the same deficiencies, poor game management, and weak home performances is incredibly frustrating as a fan, week, in week, out.

Yes WBA are a class side in this league, but so often we fail to register a shot, or even intent in games. It's not just that WBA are very good is it, its also that we are poor so often?

Don't t get me wrong, I don't think things are as abysmal as many are alluding too, but for me, progress has stalled this season. It depends what we want as fans and as a club. All about league position, or about style and substance too?

I want a mix of the two, style and substance and knocking on the door, great I'm happy. Shit football, knocking on the door, not so much so. Shit football and not competing, fading off the pace....I'm  unhappy.

No fan should be going to home matches at a top 10 placed championship club not expecting to win surely? That's the truth of where we are as a club though, and its as confusing as hell! ?? 

I don't really get why we have to have this level of hyperbole all the time. LJ is a decent manager and we are having a decent season where the positives are that we are better at grinding out results than we have been at the past, we are drawing or winning games against mid table and lower table sides that we might have lost in the past and we have managed to keep picking up results in the face of key injuries whereas the negatives are that the football is dire at times and we just do not look at the races against the top teams in the division.

There is a lot we need to improve on but there is a lot that is going better than it has been at most points in my time as a supporter. The WBA and Leeds performances were massively disheartening and there is certainly a valid discussion about whether LJ has taken us as far as he can and whether we need a new manager next season to push us on further. But I don't know why these discussions have to descend into "LJ's shit" vs "LJ's great" when it is pretty clear he is neither of those things. He is a decent Championship level with some flaws he needs to improve on. 

21 minutes ago, Riaz said:

He improves players, to the point they become premier league players.

He has improved our points tally year on year.

He has a connection and cares about the club.

He's not moaning when the inevitable sale of our players to bigger clubs come.

When he does build a team, they can play great football (go and watch the highlights of the first Man City game)

Gives youngsters a go.

Builds good relationships with the really big clubs to bring in quality players on loan (Tammy Abraham, Kalas etc)

Is able to spot the attributes of a talented player, change his position, to make them successful (Bobby Reid)

Is willing to work the way SL wants. (develop young players mainly)

He is young himself and will improve as a manager.

Thats 10.

Delusional... Anyone remember Gary Johnson.. Playoffs? Or am i making that up

3 minutes ago, Redwhitepurple said:

Ah yes, Gary Johnson, another good manager, who had us top half constantly.

We sacked him....

How did we do after that???

2 minutes ago, Riaz said:

Ah yes, Gary Johnson, another good manager, who had us top half constantly.

We sacked him....

How did we do after that???

I reckon he had literally lost the dressing room and was taking us down.

It would take something like that for Lansdown to do likewise with Johnson junior I reckon, so he will be here next season even if we finish say 12th with less points than last season.

People need to get used to that whether they love him or loath him.

2 minutes ago, Redwhitepurple said:

I think we all remember Gary Johnson. However we also remember Sean O'Driscoll and Derek McInnes, the last few performances under Millen and under Gary Johnson before that, we remember the extended run of poor form before Cotts left us when we were in in the relegation zone,  the dismal 1998/1999 season, the 3-0 defeat at home to Millwall under Coppell, the thrashing by Swansea under Tinnion, the dire football under Pulis and arguably Osman.

We have had 18 managers since I started supporting the club. LJ has his flaws but is certainly within the top four of those based on his record over the past four years. I'd like us to be doing better, and I'm not happy with our performances, but "he didn't get us into the Championship play-offs so he is useless" writes off all but one of our managers since 1990. 

1 hour ago, BigTone said:

I didn't think West Brom were that good, they seemed to press us more and appeared to be up for it more than us but were still prone to mistakes. If we'd been better and not so slow at making decisions (plus the erratic passing) I'm sure we could have matched them. We were just really shit.

3 hours ago, Natchfever said:

I reckon he had literally lost the dressing room and was taking us down.

Dependent on who / how many he’d lost in the dressing room a slight possibility but this was the league table the day he went

We already had 45 points and IMHO would have been fine

In fact there was a manager who’d done enough , more than enough to be sticking by longer

460CDE9E-144F-4E9E-9CBC-18E1293D1BE4.jpeg

16 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Dependent on who / how many he’d lost in the dressing room a slight possibility but this was the league table the day he went

We already had 45 points and IMHO would have been fine

In fact there was a manager who’d done enough , more than enough to be sticking by longer

460CDE9E-144F-4E9E-9CBC-18E1293D1BE4.jpeg

We were in a bit of a slump Bob.

From the turn of the year we played 13 and won 3 of them. We lost 6 including 0-6 at home to Cardiff and 2-5 at home to Donny. Maintaining 1 point per game form across the remaining 9 games would have given us 54 points so maybe 18th or 19th but in no way guaranteed. The fact we rustled up 2 points per game once he was relieved of his duties despite all the hand wringing and angst of Mr Lansdown tells me the players preferred to play for anyone other than him at the time, and there was a real risk we were going down.

Disloyal ? Very possibly, but I think the club made the right decision at the time, just got the recruitment of a successor wrong, wrong, and wrong again.

4 hours ago, BigTone said:

I never got as far as the 28 years statement, so appreciate the précis!

5 minutes ago, Natchfever said:

We were in a bit of a slump Bob.

From the turn of the year we played 13 and won 3 of them. We lost 6 including 0-6 at home to Cardiff and 2-5 at home to Donny. Maintaining 1 point per game form across the remaining 9 games would have given us 54 points so maybe 18th or 19th but in no way guaranteed. The fact we rustled up 2 points per game once he was relieved of his duties despite all the hand wringing and angst of Mr Lansdown tells me the players preferred to play for anyone other than him at the time, and there was a real risk we were going down.

Disloyal ? Very possibly, but I think the club made the right decision at the time, just got the recruitment of a successor wrong, wrong, and wrong again.

Fair points 

He was certainly up against some , led by a apparent City Legend

History now , but if I’d been Mr L I’d have called the players bluff personally , had a meeting and said ‘GJ isn’t going anywhere ‘ - if you want out , just knock on my door

It would have been a ‘gamble’ , but one I personally would have taken , even risking relegation as GJ would have been the optimum man to return us (And we ended back in L1 and in a mess anyway )

Of all the managers that have earned the right to be backed he deserved to be (IMHO)

Maybe there’s something I’m missing here, but listening to the LJ deciples, I’m getting the distinct feeling of the emporer’s new clothes ...... as in, keep on long enough telling everybody the LJ is a great Head Coach and eventually people with have to believe it, despite the evidence to the contrary.

Sorry, the bloke has been here 4 years now and has shown absolutely no ability to learn by his own mistakes and his undistinguished record of achieving bugger-all in his managerial career shows absolutely no sign of improving.

37 minutes ago, BrizzleRed said:

Maybe there’s something I’m missing here, but listening to the LJ deciples, I’m getting the distinct feeling of the emporer’s new clothes ...... as in, keep on long enough telling everybody the LJ is a great Head Coach and eventually people with have to believe it, despite the evidence to the contrary.

Sorry, the bloke has been here 4 years now and has shown absolutely no ability to learn by his own mistakes and his undistinguished record of achieving bugger-all in his managerial career shows absolutely no sign of improving.

The constant claim (and factually true)  ,  is the annual improved League position during his time here 

The question for me is 

Is this down to LJ . , or the build / growth of the Club by/ through SLs money .  , a mixture , or a mixture of all sorts of factors .(Including other Clubs failings)

is our statistical progress

Down to LJ ?

Despite of LJ ?

Or somewhere , and where , in between ?

Thats the debate , for me 

2 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

The constant claim (and factually true)  ,  is the annual improved League position during his time here 

The question for me is 

Is this down to LJ . , or the build / growth of the Club by/ through SLs money .  , a mixture , or a mixture of all sorts of factors .(Including other Clubs failings)

Down to LJ ?

Despite of LJ ?

Or somewhere in between ?

…plus the performances of the other teams in the league

The constantly selling his best players thing!!

Webster wanted to go Premier League club

Kelly was not even in our first 11. LJ said that himself Premier League club

Reid Brownhill Flint Bryan all with limited time in their contracts getting more money at new club two of which were going to The Premier League

Pack got a bid and LJ  said he can go as he had Nagy HNM

Eiaa got our money back and some Magnússon the same

No club expects to keep player for long if their is PL interest. We have made a crap tone of money and SL still chucks in millions on LJ et al whim buys and loans. Yet I keep reading the poor little LJ keeps having his players sold. 

Well guess what selling your best players while in the championship is the price you pay for not getting promoted  ITS THE ******* SAME FOR EVERYONE! 

5 hours ago, Clutton Caveman said:

Now I’m not pretending for one second that we don’t have problems.

But imagine you’d just returned from a mission to Mars (without a phone signal by the way) that departed in June 2013.

Where would you guess we were in the league pyramid if your first contact with planet Earth was to read this post? And what would you guess our trajectory (nice space pun for you there) had been during the years you were absent?

5 hours ago, Clutton Caveman said:

Given this disastrous state of affairs it’s surely little short of miraculous that we’re seventh in what is probably the fifth strongest league in the world (that’s ‘THE WORLD’), with a good chance of making the play-offs.  And all this with an inept coach who doesn’t know what he’s doing.  Imagine if we had a good coach!  Why, we would have won every single match this season and be looking at winning the Champions League in 2021/22.

22 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

Well guess what selling your best players while in the championship is the price you pay for not getting promoted  ITS THE ******* SAME FOR EVERYONE! 

To the point ......

And absolutely spot on

And add .........Because of the cost of having such a large squad , that allows £12 million pounds worth of centre halves on bench and a £3.5 million pound signing,  who struggles to even make the squad 

6 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Given this disastrous state of affairs it’s surely little short of miraculous that we’re seventh in what is probably the fifth strongest league in the world (that’s ‘THE WORLD’), with a good chance of making the play-offs.  And all this with an inept coach who doesn’t know what he’s doing.  Imagine if we had a good coach!  Why, we would have won every single match this season and be looking at winning the Champions League in 2021/22.

Do you really think we will make the play offs this year or just hope?

Check out the GD, tells the whole story

21 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

The question for me is 

Down to LJ ?

Despite of LJ ?

Or somewhere in between ?

Exactly and you can also add, the pro LJ’ers always big him up when when he so called improves a player, whereas if players go backwards as a good number do, it’s all Mark Ashton’s fault for bringing them in!

It’s amazing how they have this blind faith that LJ will come good when he’s done nothing of note to date in his managerial career even in League 1.  

We’ve had one purple patch with our cup run, but he’s been incapable of getting even remotely close to that style since, so its now looking far more likely to have been a fortunate fluke, rather than anything LJ has the ability to create.

1 hour ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Fair points 

He was certainly up against some , led by a apparent City Legend

History now , but if I’d been Mr L I’d have called the players bluff personally , had a meeting and said ‘GJ isn’t going anywhere ‘ - if you want out , just knock on my door

It would have been a ‘gamble’ , but one I personally would have taken , even risking relegation as GJ would have been the optimum man to return us (And we ended back in L1 and in a mess anyway )

Of all the managers that have earned the right to be backed he deserved to be (IMHO)

Fair comments mate 

Archived