IGNORED

How bad does it have to get

Clutton Caveman

5 hours ago, Simon bristol said:

I feel your pain bud, but while we are where we are in table nothing is going to change.

in terms of 10 positives, i cant think of 10, but we have to acknowledge the role lj has had in terms of improving players and selling them at huge profits, Repeatedly, bringing in transfer revenues that has barely been seen at this level. He also has had to deal with losing his best players, repeatedly, and having to come up with replacements from either within the squad or from outside. 

i would also suggest there is some kind of conflict/ disconnect between what johnson needs in the team compared to what ashton and the club is looking at in terms of signing players with future transfer profits. But you could argue that the kalas and wells transfers are bringing that back to more neutral. However, theres are probably at least 20/30 players who have been brought in, some for millions of pounds, who really havent been up to standard, and lj and ashton have to take responsibility for that.

in terms of organisation and fighting spirit we are struggling, and when you are having to entertain 22000 fans every other week and not doing a very good job at it, it just doesnt feel very positive.

but would we have taken our current league position at the start of the season? Yes we probably would have.

Sadly it’s the same argument that we have every season, much promise followed , almost inevitably, by disappointment. 

Do we know what our team will be ?
Our formation ? 

Dare I say , identity ? 

LJ has done a good job in raising expectations and is probably due some credit for this but now he must deliver . SL has given him what he asked for and now he has a dozen or so games to , at least , keep the season alive . 

If I was SL I would be looking to shake things up in the summer unless we get top six .  

Personally,  I would have gambled on a successful Championship coach to , hopefully, get us over the line but It is probably too late now this season. 

Come on LJ make me change my mind .

21 minutes ago, tunnie12345 said:

i would be very interested to know the amount of season ticket holders we have compared to how many season ticket holders actually turn up at the moment.I bet the figure would shock some people!

I'm one of them and I know loads of others, I couldn't even give my ticket away against WBA in saying that I stoll intend to renew for next season in the hope that LJ won't be here

1 hour ago, REDOXO said:

Well guess what selling your best players while in the championship is the price you pay for not getting promoted  ITS THE ******* SAME FOR EVERYONE! 

Yes, this might be the vicious circle LJ finds himself in. How he could've done with Reid and Webster (and a fit Kalas) in the same team. 

Who takes 4 or 5 seasons to deliver promotion nowadays? No one gets the chance, not at this level at least. Apart from LJ!

Threat of relegation for me. 
I’ve seen to much of League 1 (division 3) in my time as a city fan and I appreciate the current strong Championship status we have carved for ourselves. 
I can’t stand all the LJ our threads that appear after we lose a game which is why I rarely respond to them. 
if we began to plummet and looked like relegation then I’d call for him to go - as I did during our terrible losing run a few seasons ago. 
right now we have improved every season - if the season ended today we would still have improved. Why would anyone not like that?

i love aubergines by the way - bring them on - I don’t care. 

31 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

GD is around the same as when we made the playoff final.

Just bought my season ticket for my 66th season. I do not think the current players are good enough to be in the Premiership. I do however think this is the best footballing squad we have had ever.No player worth 10 million wants to come and play for us.We therefore have to improve present and future ones. That is LJs and his teams role. Personally I trust him to do it. Incidentally I have never met him, but would be proud to shake his hand.

3 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

The constant claim (and factually true)  ,  is the annual improved League position during his time here 

The question for me is 

Is this down to LJ . , or the build / growth of the Club by/ through SLs money .  , a mixture , or a mixture of all sorts of factors .(Including other Clubs failings)

is our statistical progress

Down to LJ ?

Despite of LJ ?

Or somewhere , and where , in between ?

Thats the debate , for me 

It has to come down to somewhere in between. Ultimately I think it is a bit of a nonsense that any club has ever achieved "despite" a manager, Even clubs that are incredibly heavily resourced have fallen on their arses under poor management and, whilst our accounts are a couple of years out of date, I suspect our wage bill is, at highest, around tenth in the league. We are above teams that are outgunning us financially and realistically that is not "despite" LJ. And, if LJ was anywhere near as bad as some of his detractors suggest, we would be stranded at the bottom of the table It has happened to bigger clubs than us and we are certainly not spending an amount that guarantees survival.

So I do not belief that we are somehow achieving in spite of LJ. But, whilst there are certainly managers doing worse with greater resources than LJ, there are also managers doing better with poorer resources. I think Brentford, Preston and Millwall are outperforming us compared to their resources and possibly Blackburn and Swansea too. I think Bowyer may well be doing a good job at Charlton too to just keep them in eighteeenth. And of course Sheffield United and Huddersfield have got themselves promoted on limited resources in recent seasons.

And I think this is the fundamental dilemma. If we got rid of LJ, we could very plausibly appoint someone who could get more out of the resources available. Maybe Gary Rowett, Lee Bowyer or Alex Neill, for example, would fancy the challenge and perhaps, if we appointed them, we would find they maximised the available resources, got the best out of the players and took us further than LJ could. But, on the other hand, we very easily could appoint a manager who did a lot worse and potentially undid what we have achieved over the last four years.

We are essentially in a position where we have a sixteen in a game of Pontoon. It is not as strong a hand as we could have and there is a temptation to twist and see if we get a five or less. But we also have a lot we could lose by twisting and have had our fingers burnt in the past with thinking we can find a better manager and finding the new manager does worse than the last one. Whatever we do next - stick or twist is a gamble either way and I genuinely don't know what the best course of action is. 

8 hours ago, LondonBristolian said:

I don't really get why we have to have this level of hyperbole all the time. LJ is a decent manager and we are having a decent season where the positives are that we are better at grinding out results than we have been at the past, we are drawing or winning games against mid table and lower table sides that we might have lost in the past and we have managed to keep picking up results in the face of key injuries whereas the negatives are that the football is dire at times and we just do not look at the races against the top teams in the division.

There is a lot we need to improve on but there is a lot that is going better than it has been at most points in my time as a supporter. The WBA and Leeds performances were massively disheartening and there is certainly a valid discussion about whether LJ has taken us as far as he can and whether we need a new manager next season to push us on further. But I don't know why these discussions have to descend into "LJ's shit" vs "LJ's great" when it is pretty clear he is neither of those things. He is a decent Championship level with some flaws he needs to improve on. 

That for me is it in a nutshell.  He frustrates the hell out of me at times, but it’s because I’m an outsider.  At other times I get some real insight from him that brings me into the inside (virtually) and I can see some rationale.  But those flaws (from my perspective) keep biting him on the bum.  He is no mug, by the nature of forums is probably 60:40 biased to criticism.  Even as a 7th placed team we’ve failed to win 56% of games, so that lends itself to negativity.

I’m still hopeful we can put a run together, or capture enough points to overhaul one of the teams above us.  I ain’t giving up, no matter how disappointed I get by individual matches.

3 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

The constant claim (and factually true)  ,  is the annual improved League position during his time here 

The question for me is 

Is this down to LJ . , or the build / growth of the Club by/ through SLs money .  , a mixture , or a mixture of all sorts of factors .(Including other Clubs failings)

is our statistical progress

Down to LJ ?

Despite of LJ ?

Or somewhere , and where , in between ?

Thats the debate , for me 

It is a very good question Bob.  Even the wonderful “net spend” you could argue is partly down to the “inflationary” effect Tv money has had, and the normality of being able to lose £13m a year has.

If we look at players like Webster and Brownhill, we’ve moved them on for fantastic fees (nobody can dispute that).  But compare that to buying Mo Eisa, who does bugger all for us, and yet you can still sell him for a profit.  To me that says that (huge generalisation don’t get me wrong), if you buy predominantly young players you can’t fail to make a profit.  Generally they are on their upward development curve and the fact that they get better means they are likely to be worth more.  If that is our model, I’m fine with it, but then you can’t moan when we sell players either.

That’s not to undermine the successes of our transfer dealings, but it’s just a question mark against the argument that it’s all down to Lee (and the coaches).  Of course he has had an effect on players, I just think it’s fair to ask “what went wrong with the ones that didn’t work out” and not accept that those were the ones Mark Ashton signed!!

If he does want to be like Wilder, then he needs to find his blueprint and stick with it.  Perhaps that blueprint was the 4-4-2 (4-6-0) of Reid and Pato of 17/18.  Focus on what made that so good, and why it stopped working.  Perhaps all it really needed was another Brownhill or Pack type to rotate the midfield?

2 hours ago, Clutton Caveman said:

Do you really think we will make the play offs this year or just hope?

Check out the GD, tells the whole story

This is a big fear for me.  I watched the following TedTalk about a year ago and it stuck with me.  Worth a watch, watch the whole thing.  I thought we had to improve our goal difference from +6 to +16/18, to make the play-offs, an increase of 10/12.  I didn’t care whether it came from more goals scored or less goals against or both.  We sit here today on -1.  The Points Column is obviously the most important, but GD has a massive correlation too.

25 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

It has to come down to somewhere in between. Ultimately I think it is a bit of a nonsense that any club has ever achieved "despite" a manager, Even clubs that are incredibly heavily resourced have fallen on their arses under poor management and, whilst our accounts are a couple of years out of date, I suspect our wage bill is, at highest, around tenth in the league. We are above teams that are outgunning us financially and realistically that is not "despite" LJ. And, if LJ was anywhere near as bad as some of his detractors suggest, we would be stranded at the bottom of the table It has happened to bigger clubs than us and we are certainly not spending an amount that guarantees survival.

So I do not belief that we are somehow achieving in spite of LJ. But, whilst there are certainly managers doing worse with greater resources than LJ, there are also managers doing better with poorer resources. I think Brentford, Preston and Millwall are outperforming us compared to their resources and possibly Blackburn and Swansea too. I think Bowyer may well be doing a good job at Charlton too to just keep them in eighteeenth. And of course Sheffield United and Huddersfield have got themselves promoted on limited resources in recent seasons.

And I think this is the fundamental dilemma. If we got rid of LJ, we could very plausibly appoint someone who could get more out of the resources available. Maybe Gary Rowett, Lee Bowyer or Alex Neill, for example, would fancy the challenge and perhaps, if we appointed them, we would find they maximised the available resources, got the best out of the players and took us further than LJ could. But, on the other hand, we very easily could appoint a manager who did a lot worse and potentially undid what we have achieved over the last four years.

We are essentially in a position where we have a sixteen in a game of Pontoon. It is not as strong a hand as we could have and there is a temptation to twist and see if we get a five or less. But we also have a lot we could lose by twisting and have had our fingers burnt in the past with thinking we can find a better manager and finding the new manager does worse than the last one. Whatever we do next - stick or twist is a gamble either way and I genuinely don't know what the best course of action is. 

??????????????

My earlier post was facetious, but my point is that few teams actually succeed each season, if by success we mean actually achieving something like promotion or a cup win, so why do we expect, or at least feel, that we should be one of them?  Why do we go into meltdown if we lose to the two top clubs?  And how can people be so vindictive against someone who clearly loves the club and is trying to do his best for it?  Cotterell seems beloved in this forum but I remember him not only as the man who got us promotion but also the man who was prepared to jeopardise our chances by not naming a full bench, just to make a point.  I’d like to see some positivity right up to the end of the season, and then that’s the time to debate what happens next season.  At the end of the day, despite what Bill Stanley said, it IS only a game.

8 hours ago, Riaz said:

He improves players, to the point they become premier league players.  Reid apart this is debatable, players developed but not sure that was down to LJ or in spite of him.

He has improved our points tally year on year. Yep, and so he should with the resources he has been given. This season anything outside the top 6 has to be viewed as a failure. 

He has a connection and cares about the club. Don't disagree

He's not moaning when the inevitable sale of our players to bigger clubs come. Nor would I expect any other Championship manager to, all championship clubs are prone to losing their best players if a Prem club comes in for them.

When he does build a team, they can play great football (go and watch the highlights of the first Man City game) . Yes, he did have us playing really good football with a clear identity for half a season 2 seasons ago … in terms of quality of football been downhill ever since.

Gives youngsters a go. Some, others not - Eisa, Walsh, Morrell

Builds good relationships with the really big clubs to bring in quality players on loan (Tammy Abraham, Kalas etc) This is a myth, the relationship with Chelsea I'd venture is down to MA not LJ. Even if that is not the case aside from Chelsea who else?

Is able to spot the attributes of a talented player, change his position, to make them successful (Bobby Reid) Yep he did it for Reid, anyone else?

Is willing to work the way SL wants. (develop young players mainly) I would expect any Championship Manager to respect and work with the cub owner.

He is young himself and will improve as a manager. I see no sign of improvement, again in terms of quality of football it has been downhill all the way since the brilliant half season, 2 seasons ago. 

Thats 10.

See inserts above. To me he is overdue being replaced, I honestly cannot see him leading us to a top 6 finish - although I would love him to have me eating humble pie at the end of season!

Yet another thread about when we're going to get rid of LJ. Once again it doesn't matter what I think, it doesn't matter what you think, it doesn't matter what anyone on here thinks, the change won't happen unless the Lansdown's, the Board or perhaps LJ himself wants it. As things stand it looks a million miles off, as being 7th in the Championship and still in with a chance of the play-offs is hardly a bloody disaster and won't be so if that's where we finish. None of the names mentioned on here as LJ replacements could guarantee promotion and we could find ourselves in a slump if others at the club decide to walk on his removal. Do people on here forget the criticism of other clubs in ridding themselves of well thought of managers, such as Ipswich sacking Mccarthy. Its alright to be disappointed in recent performances but it's a results game not a performance one, and it's on that final judgements will be made. 

2 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

My earlier post was facetious, but my point is that few teams actually succeed each season, if by success we mean actually achieving something like promotion or a cup win, so why do we expect, or at least feel, that we should be one of them?  Why do we go into meltdown if we lose to the two top clubs?  And how can people be so vindictive against someone who clearly loves the club and is trying to do his best for it?  Cotterell seems beloved in this forum but I remember him not only as the man who got us promotion but also the man who was prepared to jeopardise our chances by not naming a full bench, just to make a point.  I’d like to see some positivity right up to the end of the season, and then that’s the time to debate what happens next season.  At the end of the day, despite what Bill Stanley said, it IS only a game.

We didn’t just lose to the two top clubs we were played off the park and barely got out of our own half.

We as supporters are not the ones with inflated expectations, we are people with the expectation given to us by the bloke who has spent millions and millions and millions that we we will be better than last season....And he did not mean 7th.

WE ALL WANT TO SEE SOME POSITIVITY, mainly including having a shot worthy of the name and the same expectation of the owner....Now there is a bloke that needs some positivity from his players and coaching staff, if he gets that The rest will follow

8 hours ago, Riaz said:

He improves players, to the point they become premier league players.

He has improved our points tally year on year.

He has a connection and cares about the club.

He's not moaning when the inevitable sale of our players to bigger clubs come.

When he does build a team, they can play great football (go and watch the highlights of the first Man City game)

Gives youngsters a go.

Builds good relationships with the really big clubs to bring in quality players on loan (Tammy Abraham, Kalas etc)

Is able to spot the attributes of a talented player, change his position, to make them successful (Bobby Reid)

Is willing to work the way SL wants. (develop young players mainly)

He is young himself and will improve as a manager.

Thats 10.

The case rests, m’lud. Spot on @Riaz

8 hours ago, Riaz said:

He improves players, to the point they become premier league players.

He has improved our points tally year on year.

He has a connection and cares about the club.

He's not moaning when the inevitable sale of our players to bigger clubs come.

When he does build a team, they can play great football (go and watch the highlights of the first Man City game)

Gives youngsters a go.

Builds good relationships with the really big clubs to bring in quality players on loan (Tammy Abraham, Kalas etc)

Is able to spot the attributes of a talented player, change his position, to make them successful (Bobby Reid)

Is willing to work the way SL wants. (develop young players mainly)

He is young himself and will improve as a manager.

Thats 10.

would you say he has improved Massengo, or Nagy  or even Kalas?

would you say Taylor Moore and Liam Walsh are more likely to improve away from Ashton Gate?

8 hours ago, LondonBristolian said:

I don't really get why we have to have this level of hyperbole all the time. LJ is a decent manager and we are having a decent season where the positives are that we are better at grinding out results than we have been at the past, we are drawing or winning games against mid table and lower table sides that we might have lost in the past and we have managed to keep picking up results in the face of key injuries whereas the negatives are that the football is dire at times and we just do not look at the races against the top teams in the division.

There is a lot we need to improve on but there is a lot that is going better than it has been at most points in my time as a supporter. The WBA and Leeds performances were massively disheartening and there is certainly a valid discussion about whether LJ has taken us as far as he can and whether we need a new manager next season to push us on further. But I don't know why these discussions have to descend into "LJ's shit" vs "LJ's great" when it is pretty clear he is neither of those things. He is a decent Championship level with some flaws he needs to improve on. 

That doesn't happen though. 

But the people who argue "LJ's shit" like to paint it so that anyone who disagrees thinks LJ can do no wrong.

If you could point to a series of posts that prove me wrong then please do. But I'm afraid you've just bought into what they have said and fallen for it hook, line and sinker.

3 minutes ago, publandlord said:

would you say he has improved Massengo, or Nagy  or even Kalas?

would you say Taylor Moore and Liam Walsh are more likely to improve away from Ashton Gate?

That is an interesting question.

To expand it, is it right that we seem to leave a key part of a young player’s development to another club?  Add Morrell in there too.

@hodge any thoughts on this?

4 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

That doesn't happen though. 

But the people who argue "LJ's shit" like to paint it so that anyone who disagrees thinks LJ can do no wrong.

If you could point to a series of posts that prove me wrong then please do. But I'm afraid you've just bought into what they have said and fallen for it hook, line and sinker.

And in fairness the same happens the other way around, if you challenge, you’re LJ Out / LJ Hater.  I think @LondonBristolian is a pretty astute and fair poster, who brings balance / comm sense to most debates that verge on descending into extremes.

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

That is an interesting question.

To expand it, is it right that we seem to leave a key part of a young player’s development to another club?  Add Morrell in there too.

@hodge any thoughts on this?

And in fairness the same happens the other way around, if you challenge, you’re LJ Out / LJ Hater.  I think @LondonBristolian is a pretty astute and fair poster, who brings balance / comm sense to most debates that verge on descending into extremes.

It may happen the other way around, but to a far, far lesser degree.

Even Saturday's game has been rewritten on here. We actually played quite well for the first 15-20 minutes and arguably had just started to get a bit of control on the game. Then WBA got a cheap free kick and had a spell of dominance, albeit one we were more than comfortable dealing with. But read on here and we were abysmal from the start, never were in the game, etc.

9 hours ago, Riaz said:

When dont have a chance of the play-offs?

When he stops improving us year on year, despite losing best players constantly?

Maybe when we arent easily top half??

I get the sentiment but what good is top half if we can't improve on it? In terms of the football played this seasons football is the worst under LJ, it's all good and well saying we're top half but with the quality of football going down we're certainly not going any higher.

7 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

It may happen the other way around, but to a far, far lesser degree.

Even Saturday's game has been rewritten on here. We actually played quite well for the first 15-20 minutes and arguably had just started to get a bit of control on the game. Then WBA got a cheap free kick and had a spell of dominance, albeit one we were more than comfortable dealing with. But read on here and we were abysmal from the start, never were in the game, etc.

And likewise the reverse happens when we win games where we were poor too, e.g. Wigan (a).

The truth is somewhere in between.....probably ?

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

Yes, because “most” have a balanced view of the shades of grey.  The extremes were “brilliant” away performance, etc etc.

But "most" are accepting the rewriting of Saturday's game, that we were terrible throughout. We weren't.

That's not to say that playing well for 30 minutes is good enough either. I was only able to see that 30 minutes on my break at work, then when I finished work my stream was patchy at best, so I only saw the 5 minutes or so that resulted in their red, but it dropped before they got their third.

2 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

But "most" are accepting the rewriting of Saturday's game, that we were terrible throughout. We weren't.

That's not to say that playing well for 30 minutes is good enough either. I was only able to see that 30 minutes on my break at work, then when I finished work my stream was patchy at best, so I only saw the 5 minutes or so that resulted in their red, but it dropped before they got their third.

If I was to analyse the game as a timeline (albeit I haven’t thought about it like this until now)

0-15 mins - even, both teams sussing each other out

15-35 mins - West Brom build pressure, and exploit mistakes

35-45 mins - even again

45-55 mins - non-event, any likelihood of City coming out the traps firing, didn’t happen.  Brom in control.

55-65 mins - chasing the ball a fair bit as the subs try to get into it.

65-75 mins - Pato starts to weave some magic, Wells misses a good but tough volley (should he have headed it).

75-80 mins - Sawyer’s red, HRK goal, game over.

80-90 mins - huff and puff, but little created.

I‘ve written this more from a City view point.  Were we dogshit?  Nope.  Were West Brom playing within themselves at 2-0?  Probably.  The 65-75 minute period was the only one I thought we won on points (had it been a boxing match).

You’ve been on here long enough to know who to scroll past and who to read to get a truer view of the game.

• Admin
33 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

If I was to analyse the game as a timeline (albeit I haven’t thought about it like this until now)

0-15 mins - even, both teams sussing each other out

15-35 mins - West Brom build pressure, and exploit mistakes

35-45 mins - even again

45-55 mins - non-event, any likelihood of City coming out the traps firing, didn’t happen.  Brom in control.

55-65 mins - chasing the ball a fair bit as the subs try to get into it.

65-75 mins - Pato starts to weave some magic, Wells misses a good but tough volley (should he have headed it).

75-80 mins - Sawyer’s red, HRK goal, game over.

80-90 mins - huff and puff, but little created.

I‘ve written this more from a City view point.  Were we dogshit?  Nope.  Were West Brom playing within themselves at 2-0?  Probably.  The 65-75 minute period was the only one I thought we won on points (had it been a boxing match).

You’ve been on here long enough to know who to scroll past and who to read to get a truer view of the game.

I’ll readily admit I haven’t seen even half the games this season, so won’t comment on them with the exception of the stats are usually not good reading, i.e. possession and shots.

So onto the games I have seen, they seem to mirror the stats of the ones I haven’t seen, but what do my eyes tell me.  We are prone to a defensive mistake or two, we can move the ball around the middle third with relative ease, but often with lack of purpose.  The movement off the ball is either poor, or when it’s good, not picked up nearly often enough, that play in the middle third far too often ends without an incisive movement into the box, speculative shots seem to be banned.

Robert Pirsig wrote a couple of books about his ‘Metaphysics of Quality’, I wonder what he’d make of City in a metaphysics of quality?  The stadium has quality, the team, based on players values has individual quality, the Manager has a reputation of quality (or at least quality potential).  

Is what is being served up quality? Personally for me no, there are flashes of quality, there is more quality against lesser teams (as one might expect) and less quality against teams rated as better teams in the league.

Do the fans have a quality experience?  That seems to be divided, some are happy with slow and steady progress, I guess by one measure that could be quality, some are content with current league position and some are disappointed by the quality of entertainment on offer.  So can you measure the quality, I suspect BS will measure it in Gate takings, season ticket sales, shop and concourse takings.  

Not sure what the answer is, with our budget are we going to forever stuck in mid table, flirting with the playoffs, or maybe, in a season where we don’t recruit so well and the league as a whole is strong, dabbling with relegation?  Surely it will take some investment (how and stay in FFP?) a slice of luck with a crop of stars coming through the academy and a few signings that blend perfectly, to get in one of those coveted automatic promotion places.

How long will the levels of crowd last and the general feelgood (which, even with some of our gripes, is still generally around the club) to wither, if we are destined every year to be the nearly rans.  If that becomes the case, how does the Manager, or Mark Ashton attract quality players who are ambitious (apart from loans) if we are likely to be in that same old mid table not quite good enough, but too good to go down group?

1 hour ago, REDOXO said:

We didn’t just lose to the two top clubs we were played off the park and barely got out of our own half.

We as supporters are not the ones with inflated expectations, we are people with the expectation given to us by the bloke who has spent millions and millions and millions that we we will be better than last season....And he did not mean 7th.

WE ALL WANT TO SEE SOME POSITIVITY, mainly including having a shot worthy of the name and the same expectation of the owner....Now there is a bloke that needs some positivity from his players and coaching staff, if he gets that The rest will follow

Yeah but our players were all ill and couldn’t even train that week. 

Archived