IGNORED

LJ's transfers: ins and outs over his 4 years

firstdivision

Plenty of debate about how many players LJ's brought in, how many he's sold, how much we've made on transfers, how much we've spent.

Thought I'd have a stab at his ledger. I've looked back over the last four years (he joined in Feb 2016).

It's not easy to be definitive but my best estimate is that under LJ we've spent around £60m and brought in around £88m in transfer fees. That doesn't include loan fees in or out. The following are permanent players who've been bought or sold or let go during LJ's time  (players who've featured in the BCFC first team at any time). 

26 players signed permanently and still with the club. 13 players signed permanently and have since left. 19 players have left/been sold. This does not include loans in or out.

IN: Szmodics, Hunt, Wells, Diedhiou, Kalas, Dasilva, Weimann, Moore, Taylor, Nagy, Massengo, Palmer, Rowe, Bentley, Hinds, Walsh, Adelakun, Watkins, Bakinson, Maenpaa, Eliasson, Baker, O’Dowda, Paterson, Semenyo, Williams.

IN & OUT: Webster, Eisa, Engvall, Magnússon, Djuric, Lucic, Pisano, Wright, Hegeler, Tomlin, Steele, O’Neil, Ekstrand.

OUT: Pack, Bryan, Flint, Fielding, Reid, Kelly, Brownhill, Freeman, Burns, El Abd, Kodjia, Williams, Ayling, Agard, Wagstaff, O'Donnell, Golbourne

RELEASED: Little, Wilbraham 

LOANS: too many in and out to list, but the obvious ones in are: Afobe, Diony, Kent, Abraham, Matthews, Woodrow, Perreira, Henriksen, Benkovic, Cotterill.

Forgive me if I've missed someone (eg the odd reserve keeper here or there, and I've haven't included young players who've not featured iin the first team like Rory Holden).

Is it maybe two players we let go at less than maximum value for their career post city?

Ayling obviously. Wasn't upset at the time, but he's done really well post us.

Freeman, well he's moved for decent money to Sheff Utd, but isn't exactly lighting it up in the Prem.

So let's be generous and call it 2.

1 hour ago, Kid in the Riot said:

So a net profit and a fairly typical churn of players over a four year period? 

@firstdivision Ignoring what I wrote on other threads (because I hate the use of net spend) financially £28m “profit” looks good.  It is good. £7m a season.

Imagine, instead of being £88m and £60m....it was £68m and £40m (£20m off both sides)....that to me would seem more efficient.  Could we have spent a bit more carefully and still got a similar profit amount, e.g. not bothered with Hegeler, Engvall, Eisa etc?

Other things worth considering during Lee’s reign, because they all make up the “finances”, are things like:

Bolassie - £4.5m into the pot from Everton / Palace

Adomah - £1.0m into the pot from Boro / Villa

From sell-ons.  There are others too.  That’s good

And in the flip:

Kodjia - £2.0m to Angers as their sell-on

Webster - £1.6m to Ipswich etc, etc.

There is the age old argument that LJ didn’t buy Flint, Bryan etc, so they shouldn’t be included.  If you take that view, be consistent  when you evaluate a future manager’s dealings, when LJ will undoubtedly leave good players for the new man to sell / benefit from.

2 hours ago, firstdivision said:

Plenty of debate about how many players LJ's brought in, how many he's sold, how much we've made on transfers, how much we've spent.

Thought I'd have a stab at his ledger. I've looked back over the last four years (he joined in Feb 2016).

It's not easy to be definitive but my best estimate is that under LJ we've spent around £60m and brought in around £88m in transfer fees. That doesn't include loan fees in or out. The following are permanent players who've been bought or sold or let go during LJ's time  (players who've featured in the BCFC first team at any time). 

26 players signed permanently and still with the club. 13 players signed permanently and have since left. 19 players have left/been sold. This does not include loans in or out.

IN: Szmodics, Hunt, Wells, Diedhiou, Kalas, Dasilva, Weimann, Moore, Taylor, Nagy, Massengo, Palmer, Rowe, Bentley, Hinds, Walsh, Adelakun, Watkins, Bakinson, Maenpaa, Eliasson, Baker, O’Dowda, Paterson, Semenyo, Williams.

IN & OUT: Webster, Eisa, Engvall, Magnússon, Djuric, Lucic, Pisano, Wright, Hegeler, Tomlin, Steele, O’Neil, Ekstrand.

OUT: Pack, Bryan, Flint, Fielding, Reid, Kelly, Brownhill, Freeman, Burns, El Abd, Kodjia, Williams, Ayling, Agard, Wagstaff, O'Donnell, Golbourne

LOANS: too many in and out to list, but the obvious ones in are: Afobe, Diony, Kent, Abraham, Matthews, Woodrow, Perreira, Henriksen, Benkovic, Cotterill.

Forgive me if I've missed someone (eg the odd reserve keeper here or there, and I've haven't included young players who've not featured iin the first team like Rory Holden).

Umm.......what’s the point that you’re making with this thread?.........:dunno:

LJs ins and out of players has been done to death. It’s boring...............:sleeping:

8 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Umm.......what’s the point that you’re making with this thread?.........:dunno:

LJs ins and out of players has been done to death. It’s boring...............:sleeping:

The same one as you made at the weekend (which wasn’t the first either)...albeit your £2m different ?????

Sorry, couldn’t resist.

4 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

The same one as you made at the weekend (which wasn’t the first either)...albeit your £2m different ?????

Sorry, couldn’t resist.

That’s ok Dave - like said, I find financial matters dreadfully dry and consequently have lite motivation to study them.

33 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

@firstdivision Ignoring what I wrote on other threads (because I hate the use of net spend) financially £28m “profit” looks good.  It is good. £7m a season.

Imagine, instead of being £88m and £60m....it was £68m and £40m (£20m off both sides)....that to me would seem more efficient.  Could we have spent a bit more carefully and still got a similar profit amount, e.g. not bothered with Hegeler, Engvall, Eisa etc?

I think this is part of our system though - obviously ideally we would only buy successfully but there is an element of (for want of a better way of putting it) 'taking a punt' on young players and players on a rapid upward curve.  One success from doing that more than pays for itself. It has its own risks but I do think that we do this with players as well as the more pure buy young and develop model. Eisa was on an upward curve was a risk but it wasn't completely impossible he would hit the ground running and take the championship by storm as it was we still sold at profit. Webster talented but poor injury record we sign him risking we can keep him fit and it pays off. 

3 hours ago, firstdivision said:

Not sure what point you are making if indeed there is a point, but there are financial factors other than headline transfer fees, ie wages and agent fees.

Of the £88m of sales you quote, if correct, about £58m is players he inherited so sales of his own players about £30m, therefore £30m down in terms of cash flow though of course he does have a "stock" - significant stock numerically - of his own players.

But plus a wage bill significantly higher than it was 4 years ago.

I don't think any sane person could seriously argue that Johnson has miraculously got us near to the play offs while simultaneously spending less than he makes on sales of his own players.

1 hour ago, NickJ said:

Not sure what point you are making if indeed there is a point, but there are financial factors other than headline transfer fees, ie wages and agent fees.

Of the £88m of sales you quote, if correct, about £58m is players he inherited so sales of his own players about £30m, therefore £30m down in terms of cash flow though of course he does have a "stock" - significant stock numerically - of his own players.

I don't think any sane person could seriously argue that Johnson has miraculously got us near to the play offs while simultaneously spending less than he makes on sales of his own players.

Um, my point was, simply, i wonder what the facts are. I’ve heard things like: ‘but he’s signed 57 players’, ‘he’s sold for millions but he’s spent millions’ etc. 

My overall conclusion (if you’re interested): LJ is not ‘a clueless muppet who should get out of our club’ as I see written with depressing regularity on social media. He’s part of a team (on and off the field) that has generally moved the club forward over the last four years, however frustrating this season has been at times - 18th, 17th, 11th, 8th, currently 7th in his 5 seasons. 

Leeds and West Brom were sad affairs but LJ is so obviously in credit for me. 

Can he get Bristol City to the PL - I don’t know. And nor does anyone. Lots think they do, but they don’t, of course.

1 hour ago, NickJ said:

And just a quick point on sales. 
Webster and Brownhill are the obvious stand out ‘successes’. But LJ is head coach. It’s his job to develop players. Pretty sure he helped turn Reid into a £9m sale and, I might suggest, he helped develop Kelly too. Those four generated £50m + of those £88m sales I noted earlier.

2 minutes ago, firstdivision said:

Webster and Brownhill are the obvious stand out ‘successes’. But LJ is head coach. It’s his job to develop players. Pretty sure he helped turn Reid into a £9m sale and, I might suggest, he helped develop Kelly too. Those four generated £50m + of those £88m sales I noted earlier.

You’re a newbie firstdivsion so you probably don’t know that NickJ is never wrong! and therefore is unlike the rest of us. 

It really is pointless trying to debate with him.

Some people say that LJs best team was assembled by Cotts..

with the next breath (keystroke) the same people claim that LJ has one of the strongest team ever assembled at AG at his disposal right now

some say LJ has had more money to spend than any other manager - others say that our loss vs profit margin is the best for ages  

some say we’re shit - others say we’re 7th and in touch with the playoffs 

I don't know what to believe.... please help me.....I’m confused  - it’s so confusing for a simpleton like me that just looks at the league table ........some say it doesn’t lie....

6 hours ago, bcfcredandwhite said:

Some people say that LJs best team was assembled by Cotts..

with the next breath (keystroke) the same people claim that LJ has one of the strongest team ever assembled at AG at his disposal right now

some say LJ has had more money to spend than any other manager - others say that our loss vs profit margin is the best for ages  

some say we’re shit - others say we’re 7th and in touch with the playoffs 

I don't know what to believe.... please help me.....I’m confused  - it’s so confusing for a simpleton like me that just looks at the league table ........some say it doesn’t lie....

You're confused............... I've been watching City since 1958 and I still dont have a bl**dy clue ????

I think what people get hung up on with LJ a lot is the number of players in - although that’s been evidenced to be about the right number considering tenure length. When people say “Well he’s bought and got rid as opposed to having had to buy and reshape the squad”, there’s one main point that’s missed - and that’s progression.

Taking a few examples:

- Matty Taylor. When he signed we were in a relegation fight. We couldn’t have attracted much better calibre at the time. Fast forward to this window - we were playoff chasing, so could attract a Wells. Right player at the time but not good enough for the level we’re at now so right decision to bring in, right decision to sell

- Bailey Wright. Before injury, good reviews from Sunderland. Didn’t let us down but level is probably mid table - which is what we were aiming for when he signed. Kalas undoubtedly better, Moore higher ceiling. Again, right to buy - right to sell

- Magnússon. A bit of dazzle here as signed from Juve, but class as “potential”. Wasn’t ready to go into a top six aiming side, but had potential to do so if could eridicate mental mistakes. Didn’t, so didn’t look like making it at top six level - right to buy and right to sell (and I know CSKA beat Real Madrid, yes)

All three of these are examples of why it was the right signing for where we were, but the right sale for where we are. Teams can progress within divisions aside from going up, and I think that’s what we’ve seen in LJs tenure and is why players like Marley Watkins are probably surplus, why Moore went from possibly being ready to needing a season etc etc.

As for Cotts team, and acknowledging the “age” aspect (ie as Wilbs gets older it’s reasonable to expect him to drop down), the only one that’s playing regularly at a team higher than us is Ayling. Players like Flint, Pack, Wagstaff, Agard, Freeman, Williams are still of an age where they could/should play at a level their peak ability demands. But they’re not playing higher than us. There is an argument for Freeman but QPR had to build a mid table side around him and he’s not got a look in at Sheffield. Again, mid table champ is his level and needed to lose him to progress.

Long post, but what I’m saying is that we’ve generally recruited OK for the level in the division we were at - and the exits can be more than understood

11 hours ago, firstdivision said:

Um, my point was, simply, i wonder what the facts are. I’ve heard things like: ‘but he’s signed 57 players’, ‘he’s sold for millions but he’s spent millions’ etc. 

My overall conclusion (if you’re interested): LJ is not ‘a clueless muppet who should get out of our club’ as I see written with depressing regularity on social media. He’s part of a team (on and off the field) that has generally moved the club forward over the last four years, however frustrating this season has been at times - 18th, 17th, 11th, 8th, currently 7th in his 5 seasons. 

Leeds and West Brom were sad affairs but LJ is so obviously in credit for me. 

Can he get Bristol City to the PL - I don’t know. And nor does anyone. Lots think they do, but they don’t, of course.

10 hours ago, firstdivision said:

I like facts as well, here are some more.

It wasn't just Johnson or even Cotterill that recognized Bobby Reid as a talent, this was recognized by Bristol City youth coaches who developed him over 10 years and by Keith Millen who gave him a full debut at age 17. Although out on loan at Plymouth for most of 2014/15, Cotterill recognized his potential by specifically bringing him back for the final game to join in with the celebrations, and in the first part of the following season played him fairly regularly..... as a forward.

As for Kelly, same applies as regards years of coaching before being brought into the first team. He's an England under 20 and under 21 International. His quality and class is recognized at that level. Despite that before his transfer to Bournemouth he spent the majority of the end of the season before that under Johnson as a substitute.

The claims that Johnson somehow turned Reid and Kelly into £9m and £13m players, or even was responsible in a significant way, always amuse me. Your description "helped" may be fair enough, but I don't think it would be right to give credit for selling players which in reality he has played a relatively small part in.

And when you factor in the abject failures and hugely increased wage costs against the 2 notable successes, I don't think there is much financial credit, to date.

I don't think Johnson is a muppet although I certainly don't think he's doing an above average job given the backing he's received. But then when I hear him say nonsensical guff like my current favourite, 

"Somebody has to step into Josh Brownhill’s shoesand they have to do that in their own way, not be Josh Brownhill, but be the best version of themselves"

it does make me wonder.

3 hours ago, NickJ said:

It wasn't just Johnson or even Cotterill that recognized Bobby Reid as a talent, this was recognized by Bristol City youth coaches who developed him over 10 years and by Keith Millen who gave him a full debut at age 17. Although out on loan at Plymouth for most of 2014/15, Cotterill recognized his potential by specifically bringing him back for the final game to join in with the celebrations, and in the first part of the following season played him fairly regularly..... as a forward.

As for Kelly, same applies as regards years of coaching before being brought into the first team. He's an England under 20 and under 21 International. His quality and class is recognized at that level. Despite that before his transfer to Bournemouth he spent the majority of the end of the season before that under Johnson as a substitute.

The claims that Johnson somehow turned Reid and Kelly into £9m and £13m players, or even was responsible in a significant way, always amuse me. Your description "helped" may be fair enough, but I don't think it would be right to give credit for selling players which in reality he has played a relatively small part in.

And when you factor in the abject failures and hugely increased wage costs against the 2 notable successes, I don't think there is much financial credit, to date.

I don't think Johnson is a muppet although I certainly don't think he's doing an above average job given the backing he's received. But then when I hear him say nonsensical guff like my current favourite, 

"Somebody has to step into Josh Brownhill’s shoesand they have to do that in their own way, not be Josh Brownhill, but be the best version of themselves"

it does make me wonder.

If you'd said to anyone at the end of the 16-17 season that Bobby Reid would go for £9m a year later, they would have laughed. When LJ described him as a £5m player, people scoffed. LJ, as you know, played him as a striker in 17-18 and he scored 19 league goals (9 more than he'd managed in his whole career up until that point). But that had little to do with the manager actually playing him there? But when the results are poor, that's all the manager's fault.

LJ gave Lloyd Kelly his debut in 17-18 and gave him 26 starts as a 20 year old last season in a tough, physical division (completly different from U21 football). Perversely, we had another England U21 left-back in our squad as well, another reason for Kelly not playing a full season. Same point: I don't see how the manager is hardly responsible for who he picks and helps develop, but is then totally responsible for results. You can't have it both ways.     

20 minutes ago, firstdivision said:

If you'd said to anyone at the end of the 16-17 season that Bobby Reid would go for £9m a year later, they would have laughed. When LJ described him as a £5m player, people scoffed. LJ, as you know, played him as a striker in 17-18 and he scored 19 league goals (9 more than he'd managed in his whole career up until that point). But that had little to do with the manager actually playing him there? But when the results are poor, that's all the manager's fault.

LJ gave Lloyd Kelly his debut in 17-18 and gave him 26 starts as a 20 year old last season in a tough, physical division (completly different from U21 football). Perversely, we had another England U21 left-back in our squad as well, another reason for Kelly not playing a full season. Same point: I don't see how the manager is hardly responsible for who he picks and helps develop, but is then totally responsible for results. You can't have it both ways.     

Your points are non-points.

Of course Johnson played Kelly as a 20 year old, his time had come. What are you saying, that no other manager would have given that talent playing time?

Both players would have been successful no matter who managed them, with such talent which was recognized by Cotterill in respect of Reid before Johnson, simply because Cotterill was here at the right time in his development.

Johnson managed both Reid and Kelly for a tiny fraction of their time at City. The people who deserve the real credit are the players themselves and the ones that get very little credit at all, those who coached them between the ages of 8 and 18.

Probably a question for someone who has more time than I do, but how does the trading/transfer activity of LJ with us compare to other clubs who have been in the Championship over a similar period of time. 

Obviously, those with parachute payments might have sold more than they bought to balance the books, but it would be interesting to know how we fare.

We operate a Chelsea type model. Bring in players under 24 in general develop them in house (and on loan) and sell them on for a profit regardless of first team appearances. 

One of the issues is it creates a huge squad and only a few will be kept happy unless of course you constantly chop and change, which in turn creates instability. 

19 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Other things worth considering during Lee’s reign, because they all make up the “finances”, are things like:

Bolassie - £4.5m into the pot from Everton / Palace

Adomah - £1.0m into the pot from Boro / Villa

From sell-ons.  There are others too.  That’s good

And in the flip:

Kodjia - £2.0m to Angers as their sell-on

Webster - £1.6m to Ipswich etc, etc.

There is the age old argument that LJ didn’t buy Flint, Bryan etc, so they shouldn’t be included.  If you take that view, be consistent  when you evaluate a future manager’s dealings, when LJ will undoubtedly leave good players for the new man to sell / benefit from.

I always thought the net profit was a bit of a headline more than actual profit. A lot of the profit has been pumped into wages. How much have the expenditures risen since his arrival? 

If you take into account everything I think LJ has just about break even in terms of performances, sales, incomings, league table and player progression. Maybe slightly in credit. Does that make sense? There is no way to be certain but think out of 24 champ managers maybe 10-11 could have gotten more out of the same situation and tenure. If our wage bill had only slightly risen I’d be more inclined to think he has done an exceptional job. How do you view it? Obvs you probably have a better idea of the wage bill from 2016-now. Part of me just feels we have to sell players to pay a lot of fringe players. So the line he sells his best players has merit but he has a part in creating the reason why.

If one is to report such figures either go the whole shebang or not bother (that's what the accounts show.) Include the 'too many' loan deals, total liabilities (not just those 'reported' transfer costs including add-ons, non-materialised income and write-offs,) and associated costs of financing deals.

Also, why exclude players who've never figured? They cost just like those who have pulled on the jersey.

5 hours ago, NickJ said:

I have to correct this.  Cotterill did included Bobby Reid in his squad for all but one of the 26 Championship games before he was sacked, but he only started him four times in those games, and always in midfield (Kodjia and either Wilbraham or Agard played in all those matches).  Pemberton then started with Bobby three times in his four games as caretaker (as a striker) while Lee started him 9 times in the 16 games he managed that season, playing him as a striker 4 times in the last 6 games (during which he scored two goals).

20 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

I have to correct this.  Cotterill did included Bobby Reid in his squad for all but one of the 26 Championship games before he was sacked, but he only started him four times in those games, and always in midfield (Kodjia and either Wilbraham or Agard played in all those matches).  Pemberton then started with Bobby three times in his four games as caretaker (as a striker) while Lee started him 9 times in the 16 games he managed that season, playing him as a striker 4 times in the last 6 games (during which he scored two goals).

So if you are correct (And I cant recall Pembertons line ups for example)

it was Pemberton , not LJ that ,saw the potential in Reid as a striker

Thanks for clarifying 

2 hours ago, Bristol Rob said:

Probably a question for someone who has more time than I do, but how does the trading/transfer activity of LJ with us compare to other clubs who have been in the Championship over a similar period of time. 

Obviously, those with parachute payments might have sold more than they bought to balance the books, but it would be interesting to know how we fare.

Very hard to do with transfers in and out - as shown when discussing ours, all the amortised fees, agents fees, undisclosed amounts etc.

A better comparison could be the wage bills, but again there is always a delay in these and accounting tricks. But last quickly findable list:

1: Stoke City £94.2m

2: West Brom £92.2m

3: Swansea City £90.7m

4: Huddersfield £62.6m

5: Fulham £54.3m

6: Middlesbrough £48.7m

7: Cardiff City £48.4m

8: Derby £40.4m

9: Birmingham £38.5m

10: Reading £35.3m

11: Leeds £31.3m

12: Hull £31.1m

13: QPR £30.6m

14: Sheff Wed £29.3m

15: Nottm Forest £27.7m

16: Bristol City £27.2m

17: Brentford £17.1m

18: Balckburn £16.7m

19: Preston £15m

20: Millwall £13.3m

21: Wigan £11.7m

22: Barnsley £10.6m

23: Charlton £10.2m

24: Luton £6.2m

Ours will have no doubt gone up, but even if was up, say by, £8/10m or so, that would put us around £35m which is pretty much bang on the average.

Wage bill average of top 6 teams shoots up to around £50m a year normally. 

We’re still a way off that.....

But we could always just go with the good old fashioned comparison they’ve been using for years....the league table? 7th in that. 

We’ve also recently debunked the myth we have an massive squad, as we are pretty much bang on average this season and was it kid who called it a ‘typical’ turnover of players? Sounds about right.

15 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

So if you are correct (And I cant recall Pembertons line ups for example)

it was Pemberton , not LJ that ,saw the potential in Reid as a striker

Thanks for clarifying 

It certainly looks as though Pemberton was the first to play him as a striker, so fair play to him.  However it was Johnson who created a style of play which suited him as a no 10.  I don’t think any of us could have expected how Reid suddenly seemed to find his game in the pre-season of 2017.

Archived