IGNORED

LJ's transfers: ins and outs over his 4 years

firstdivision

10 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

It certainly looks as though Pemberton was the first to play him as a striker, so fair play to him.  However it was Johnson who created a style of play which suited him as a no 10.  I don’t think any of us could have expected how Reid suddenly seemed to find his game in the pre-season of 2017.

Thought Bobby was part of a 5 man midfield with Kodjia upfront alone, under  his 3/4 starts for Pembo.

Those figures will be from accounts for 2017/18 which is WBA's final PL season ie their relegation season and Leeds one would be 2017/18.

Basically it's a bit misleading as unsure when it was written but looks largely like the 2017/18 season- can only assume it's for that.

That's taking figures from when clubs were across 3 divisions basically! It's misleading, because of the delay- some of those clubs will have been in the PL in 2017/18, a lot at this level and a number in League One!

To have a bit of a closer look:

1. WBA will have been in PL- that's their PL wage bill.
  2. So will Stoke.
  3. Swansea too.
  4. Huddersfield as well.
  5. Blackburn in League One at that time.
  6. So were Wigan.
  7. And Charlton.
  8. Luton too!

Then you have to factor in promotion bonuses for Cardiff and Fulham...both you could well subtract because without promotion, they wouldn't form part of the wage bill!

That list doesn't really tell a lot, except that it's for 2017/18 and some clubs will have markedly higher wage bills and some clubs lower due to promotion, relegation and these accounts being in 2017/18!

3 hours ago, JoeAman08 said:

I always thought the net profit was a bit of a headline more than actual profit. A lot of the profit has been pumped into wages. How much have the expenditures risen since his arrival? 

If you take into account everything I think LJ has just about break even in terms of performances, sales, incomings, league table and player progression. Maybe slightly in credit. Does that make sense? There is no way to be certain but think out of 24 champ managers maybe 10-11 could have gotten more out of the same situation and tenure. If our wage bill had only slightly risen I’d be more inclined to think he has done an exceptional job. How do you view it? Obvs you probably have a better idea of the wage bill from 2016-now. Part of me just feels we have to sell players to pay a lot of fringe players. So the line he sells his best players has merit but he has a part in creating the reason why.

Pretty much the bits in bold.

I refuse to look at league position in isolation.  His remit is not purely results, so I try to judge him on more than that too.

On balance, if he had got us improving league position year on year with less resources, he’d be more than “slightly in credit”.  But I think he’s been wasteful on the financial front, because of “clubs in the bag” / not settled formula.  He is also leaving a huge commitment to wages and amortisation for the next 2/3 years.  That will hold him back in recruitment.

2 hours ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

I have to correct this.  Cotterill did included Bobby Reid in his squad for all but one of the 26 Championship games before he was sacked, but he only started him four times in those games, and always in midfield (Kodjia and either Wilbraham or Agard played in all those matches).  Pemberton then started with Bobby three times in his four games as caretaker (as a striker) while Lee started him 9 times in the 16 games he managed that season, playing him as a striker 4 times in the last 6 games (during which he scored two goals).

In my head he played off of Kodjia a couple of times, but looking back Wilbs was also on the pitch, is the truth.  I recall MKD at home where him and Kodjia were great together but it was a 5212 with Reid as the 1.  Likewise under LJ that season, he wasn’t a striker imho, but a true no10, often switching with Tomlin (LW/LM)....usually when Tomlin needed a little rest ?

I still insist LJ and various academy coaches will have been aware of Bobby’s talents as a striker from his youth days.  But LJ took the gamble (credit for that) whether it was his idea / decision or someone else’s suggestion.

49 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Those figures will be from accounts for 2017/18 which is WBA's final PL season ie their relegation season and Leeds one would be 2017/18.

Basically it's a bit misleading as unsure when it was written but looks largely like the 2017/18 season- can only assume it's for that.

That's taking figures from when clubs were across 3 divisions basically! It's misleading, because of the delay- some of those clubs will have been in the PL in 2017/18, a lot at this level and a number in League One!

To have a bit of a closer look:

1. WBA will have been in PL- that's their PL wage bill.
  2. So will Stoke.
  3. Swansea too.
  4. Huddersfield as well.
  5. Blackburn in League One at that time.
  6. So were Wigan.
  7. And Charlton.
  8. Luton too!

Then you have to factor in promotion bonuses for Cardiff and Fulham...both you could well subtract because without promotion, they wouldn't form part of the wage bill!

That list doesn't really tell a lot, except that it's for 2017/18 and some clubs will have markedly higher wage bills and some clubs lower due to promotion, relegation and these accounts being in 2017/18!

Thanks - yes and goes to show quite how hard it is to compare transfers/wage bills etc....hence my rather tongue in cheek reference to the league table being good for comparing!

But it does go some way to show the gulf between both league one and the premier league. Obviously there is a constant overlap between the leagues, but the teams that haven’t been up or down for a while shows a span of anywhere £15m and £50m a year, we’re on the upper mid level of that.

But the gulf between the yo-yo and parachute teams is there for all to see. Our wage bill looks distinctly upper mid table, others do better on less, some doing worse on more.

5 hours ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

I have to correct this.  Cotterill did included Bobby Reid in his squad for all but one of the 26 Championship games before he was sacked, but he only started him four times in those games, and always in midfield (Kodjia and either Wilbraham or Agard played in all those matches).  Pemberton then started with Bobby three times in his four games as caretaker (as a striker) while Lee started him 9 times in the 16 games he managed that season, playing him as a striker 4 times in the last 6 games (during which he scored two goals).

So you accept that Cotterill regularly played Reid - which is what I said, I never claimed he regularly started - and therefore in fact you have corrected nothing. 

Archived