IGNORED

Ying and Yang

cidered abroad

30 minutes ago, Eddie Hitler said:

Whilst they also prided themsleves on their knowledge of the British sense of humour I don't think that even they would have got that joke.

The full joke is that the name is Edward E Hitler; so that because most people's attention is drawn by the surname they don't then go on to enquire what the middle initial stands for.

It's Elizabeth.

Eddie awoooeeeewoooeeewooo....

then richie gets his crotch set on fire with a blow torch!

52 minutes ago, Simon bristol said:

The plan has been 442 because elliasson is our best player. But it doesnt really suit anyone else in the squad. And if elliasson is double marked out of the game we are then screwed

I didn’t mention Elliasson or 4-4-2 Simon

That’s his decision , his job

I’m suggesting he needs to clear his mind and get back to a basic -

Pick what he sees as his strongest side and formation and use it as a strong base to tweak occasionally for specific scenarios , not constantly change formation whilst making 3,4,5 personnel changes 

5 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

I didn’t mention Elliasson or 4-4-2 Simon

That’s his decision , his job

I’m suggesting he needs to clear his mind and get back to a basic -

Pick what he sees as his strongest side and formation and use it as a strong base to tweak occasionally for specific scenarios , not constantly change formation whilst making 3,4,5 personnel changes 

I completely agree.

The trouble is, he either sees himself as a tactical genius and picks bespoke teams and tactics each game or else he really struggles to pick a team.

2 hours ago, pl00peh91 said:

I don’t know, one of the criticisms of the team is that they don’t understand his tactics. He’s hardly speaking in plain English is he - it’s a bit muddled and abstract - makes you wonder what he’s saying on the training pitch and whether it’s confusing them.

Coaches do not speak in plain English at all levels. Communication is frequently particular to certain clubs. All that is important is that the players understand what is being said.

Mr Johnsons vocabulary will change to suit the environment -  He could alter how he communicates with fans.  

2 hours ago, pl00peh91 said:

For people who can’t be bothered to go to the OS:

“We’ve got to make sure we pick a team of individuals that can get that balance. It’s the Ying and the Yang versus the release of the attacking players, quality and flare more importantly, versus the steel…we have missed that in the last couple of games. That’s there for everybody to see but somebody has got to take that mantle.”

I like the way he says the word “versus” twice in the same sentence.

I like "That’s there for everybody to see", immediately following on from "It’s the Ying and the Yang versus the release of the attacking players, quality and flare more importantly, versus the steel…we have missed that in the last couple of games". ?

2 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

There's not really anything wrong with him saying that. People just like to pick up on insignificant things he says to criticise him. 

It's quite amusing, Johnson was congratulated last week on a relatively sane press conference.

If you are seriously suggesting that today's makes any sense, whatever, you must be taking the same stuff as Johnson. 

2 hours ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

On the contrary, Johnson’s public statements do give us some indication as to how he communicates with his players, in my opinion 

Yes.

8 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

Coaches do not speak in plain English at all levels. Communication is frequently particular to certain clubs. All that is important is that the players understand what is being said.

Mr Johnsons vocabulary will change to suit the environment -  He could alter how he communicates with fans.  

Marcelo Bielsa would be a more difficult manager to understand, but the players seem to do ok.

16 minutes ago, NickJ said:

It's quite amusing, Johnson was congratulated last week on a relatively sane press conference.

If you are seriously suggesting that today's makes any sense, whatever, you must be taking the same stuff as Johnson. 

I just don't think it's worth making a fuss over. Feels like people will take anything he says and criticise him for it at the moment. It's because Johnson divides opinion and our form is patchy. If Chris Wilder said it, I bet no Sheffield United fans would take any notice. 

27 minutes ago, RedLionLad said:

Marcelo Bielsa would be a more difficult manager to understand, but the players seem to do ok.

Without knowing I can imagine he (Biesla) would like the words intenso and rapido.

The point was about how will Mr Johnson talk to players on the training pitch. Well very similarly to everybody else. He will use his trigger words and phrases as others use theirs with similar intent.

Away from the training pitch the communication changes to suit the environment and intent. 

I suspect most people these days have a basic idea what yin and yang is about. It’s pretty widely used.

Those that mock this - and, often, any other non English phrase, with Del Boy quotes - are just showing up their ignorance.

As indeed are the press boys by spelling it as ying and yang.

37 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I just don't think it's worth making a fuss over. Feels like people will take anything he says and criticise him for it at the moment. It's because Johnson divides opinion and our form is patchy. If Chris Wilder said it, I bet no Sheffield United fans would take any notice. 

I think the point is, he wouldn't.

21 minutes ago, Leveller said:

I suspect most people these days have a basic idea what yin and yang is about. It’s pretty widely used.

Those that mock this - and, often, any other non English phrase, with Del Boy quotes - are just showing up their ignorance.

As indeed are the press boys by spelling it as ying and yang.

But in the context of the remainder of the sentence, it makes no sense.

I find it quite amusing but concerning at the same time if that's indicative of how he addresses the players.

10 minutes ago, NickJ said:

I find it quite amusing but concerning at the same time if that's indicative of how he addresses the players.

Well who knows about Wilder but you see my point; it's about form/likability in general. I think it's pretty clear what LJ was saying and people worry about it all too much and latch onto things.

The grammar he uses isn't the best.

However...it's not rocket science to work out what he means.

He's looking for balance. A mixture of flair and steely determination.

Not too much either way...hence the Ying and Yang phrase.

No wonder other fans call us Wurzels and Carrot crunchers ?...it's easy to understand..it's just a little poetic licence.

As for terminology in coaching...he will use phrases that the players will understand and are used to. Phrases used in football all the time whilst coaching and being coached.

It's the same as any work environment...you use terminology akin to that practice. Be it Engineering, Surveying etc etc.

You use what's appropriate to what's being asked, and it will often be words that describe an action quickly, to get the point across succinctly, without having to be long winded and describe it to the players. They will be shown that early doors, then have it ingrained.

Say for example...'work on overloading the flanks and pressing the Full backs'.

The players know what that means...not everyone else does.

5 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

I understand that due to the Coronavirus the Chinese League has been dissolved and we’ve signed two lads that were out of contract

Both small, neat busy bees and our new midfield pairing 

On a serious note he does like to make public his ‘dilemmas’ behind team selections , far more than any other manager I’ve known , they are indeed normal dilemmas than any manager has building or selecting a side, compromises and decisions , - I’m intrigued why he has to keep being so public about them  - most who know anything about football understand this

A defence mechanism/shield against fans criticisms (The complexities of my job)   ?

or

An inadvertent indication of how much he is constantly battling with such thought processes

For media purposes he could have said

‘I have to weigh up options , but I’ll be picking a side to ,hopefully win the game ‘

Id  suggest that if we have a real prospect of the Play Offs we need to do so with momentum and a degree of consistency in selection and,  personally I’d be basing my selections for the remainder of the season around a favoured formation and my favoured team to ideally start 

From there I’d tweak tactically or occasionally selection wise , but if we continue to tinker with everything on a match to match , (Plus constant in game changes) we will fall short.

Time to stick to a plan Lee , even if it’s initially , just for the forthcoming 12 games

@Shtanley Bob has summed up what I was trying to explain to you on Saturday, in that sometimes he is too open, too informative.

The ying and the yang of Johnson I guess ??

4 hours ago, Peter1450 said:

Why would you consider waffle to be “coaching terminology “, just trying to be too clever for his own good and that’s why people pick up on it.

Maybe with some straight talking coaching the squad would have an idea of what’s required to put in some kind of cohesive performance.

Waffle was what LJ came up with at Senior Reds when asked directly to describe our ‘identity’...............:cool2:

1 hour ago, NickJ said:

As you don’t understand what LJ is saying, go on this thread to #42 .  Spudski explains it in relatively simple terms.

17 minutes ago, Robbored said:

That’s pretty much what I’m saying Cowshed...............:cool2:

I misread your post to indicate that the following in this instance was coaching terminology waffle.

https://www.bcfc.co.uk/news/johnson-seeking-the-right-balance/

It’s the Ying and the Yang versus the release of the attacking players, quality and flare more importantly, versus the steel…we have missed that in the last couple of games. That’s there for everybody to see but somebody has got to take that mantle.”

This is not coaching terminology. Coaching terminology should spark an instant understanding from those receiving it. On the training pitch the response would be less than instant. 

Off the training pitch it might mean something to players.

12 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

I misread your post to indicate that the following in this instance was coaching terminology waffle.

Waffle isn’t just being evasive it’s also dressing up nonsensical bollocks into sounding as if it’s deep and meaningful - that’s definitely how LJ came across when asked about out ‘identity’.....

• Admin
2 hours ago, spudski said:

The grammar he uses isn't the best.

However...it's not rocket science to work out what he means.

He's looking for balance. A mixture of flair and steely determination.

Not too much either way...hence the Ying and Yang phrase.

But that isn't what yin and yang is, he's turning more and more into a cliche talking David Brent

Yin and Yang is all about opposites - your comment above is about finding a balance, something completely different - though assumedly what he was trying to infer

6 hours ago, pl00peh91 said:

“We’ve got to make sure we pick a team of individuals that can get that balance. It’s the Ying and the Yang versus the release of the attacking players, quality and flare more importantly, versus the steel…we have missed that in the last couple of games. That’s there for everybody to see but somebody has got to take that mantle.”

I like the way no one at the club seems to be able to spell ‘flair’ correctly ...

4 minutes ago, phantom said:

But that isn't what yin and yang is, he's turning more and more into a cliche talking David Brent

Yin and Yang is all about opposites - your comment above is about finding a balance, something completely different - though assumedly what he was trying to infer

732fcda0a33e1776936cc406e9829f91.jpg

6 hours ago, pl00peh91 said:

Hilarious. He wants them to set fire to one another on the pitch. Does he talk to the players like this

But seriously folks. It's his job to motivate and inspire them. That assumes of course that his plan each game is clear and understood by all??

BTW. Someone at the Club needs to do Primary School Sats. and learn how to spell. Miss-spelling is one of the quickest way for people to despise what you are fumbling towards writing.

2 hours ago, phantom said:

Hence my quote about his Grammar being bad. He's talking about Ying and Yang verses balance. Ying being flair...Yang being steel. He's trying to find a balance of both... not opposites. Seems he's wooshed many...

2 minutes ago, spudski said:

Hence my quote about his Grammar being bad. He's talking about Ying and Yang verses balance. Ying being flair...Yang being steel. He's trying to find a balance of both... not opposites. Seems he's wooshed many...

Indeed Spudski .............many of them his critics.

8 hours ago, Abraham Romanovich said:

"We’ve got to make sure we pick a team of individuals that can get that balance. It’s the Ying and the Yang versus the release of the attacking players, quality and flare more importantly, versus the steel…we have missed that in the last couple of games. That’s there for everybody to see but somebody has got to take that mantle.”

Possible new recruits ? 

They play upfront for North Korea........so it's unlikely?

Archived