IGNORED

Support of LJ

Langford Red

There's no glossing over the fact that tonight was bloody awful. If it hadn't been for the fact that I was part of a car pool in freezing cold Yorkshire I could of easily walked out inside of an hour. Its a results game and LJ has to take his share of the blame, but he's far from the only one. When are some of these senior professional footballers take responsibility for their own actions, or rather lack of them. There was nothing wrong with tonight's team selection. Just about everyonev I talked to at the game agreed that Kalas had to come in to the side for Williams, Baker had to be recalled and with Korey missing again Rowe looked the obvious choice to toughen up the midfield. How wrong we all were. Blame LJ for tactics by all means but he can't be blamed for players playing statues, ball watching as the opponent nearest them drifts away 5 yards to receive the ball in space. He can't be blamed for Kalas pondering over whether to pass the ball forward to Hunt in space and then only doing so when Karman Grant is all over him like a rash, and ditto for Baker passing to Dasilva with Willock all over him. He can't be blamed for Benkovic and Henriksen being do far off the pace and clattering everything that moved it was a wonder they didn't receive marching orders from the referee; and he can't be blamed for our midfield allowing O'brien and Smith-Rowe advance 40 yards with the ball without a semblance of a challenge. This wasn't a bunch of kids we put out on the pitch tonight but highly rated professionals with international caps behind them. If LJ had some stern words to say to them tonight it's no more than I expect and they deserve. It's about time some of them woke up, smelt the coffee and came to the party. 

9 hours ago, Redstoke said:

Tbf we are overdue one of his 7 or 8 game losing streaks!

One of? He’s only done this once. Why do people make it out it happens every couple of months?

7 hours ago, Hampshire Red said:

We're you there? 

As always, I doubt it. The City fans on the coach home are gutted but always get behind the club and this manager - the people on this forum are embarrassing and a joke 

I’ve tried to be supportive, but how can anyone defend that tonight - especially if you were there!

I have some sympathy with the view that the players need to be held to account too.

Worse than pathetic from some of them. Unless LJ was instructing the midfield to stay 30 yards from the back line, then after 20 minutes surely an experienced footballer should himself have started to make some decisions that affected our shape, rather than go and hide. 

Disappointed too in the new signings. Hard to criticise Wells as he had nothing to feed off, but the other two, Jesz they were worse than useless. Had high hopes for both of them, as on paper looked decent players in positions we needed quality. Can understand LJ being upset if previous day they had played well then just disappeared when it mattered. Can you blame LJ for that?

All in all though, the buck stops with the manager. That was totally unacceptable.

47 minutes ago, firstdivision said:

To be fair, that would have saved millions of lives, lots of misery and ended the whole pointlessness of it.

Oh and don't forget, no WW2!

We would just be ruled from Berlin, no real country of our own. 

Many many people died so you could freely text calling the whole thing "pointless"

You should be ashamed of yourself.

My original point was just simply (and it was posted at halftime) that unlike the heroes in WW1, loads of so called supporters had given up before the second half!

Had that happened in WW1, it would have ended in 1916 with defeat and invasion by German troops. Europe would be lost

Those soldiers fought and died so we could live freely.

Free enough so future generations could call it "pointless"

Disgraceful.

7 hours ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

There's no glossing over the fact that tonight was bloody awful. If it hadn't been for the fact that I was part of a car pool in freezing cold Yorkshire I could of easily walked out inside of an hour. Its a results game and LJ has to take his share of the blame, but he's far from the only one. When are some of these senior professional footballers take responsibility for their own actions, or rather lack of them. There was nothing wrong with tonight's team selection. Just about everyonev I talked to at the game agreed that Kalas had to come in to the side for Williams, Baker had to be recalled and with Korey missing again Rowe looked the obvious choice to toughen up the midfield. How wrong we all were. Blame LJ for tactics by all means but he can't be blamed for players playing statues, ball watching as the opponent nearest them drifts away 5 yards to receive the ball in space. He can't be blamed for Kalas pondering over whether to pass the ball forward to Hunt in space and then only doing so when Karman Grant is all over him like a rash, and ditto for Baker passing to Dasilva with Willock all over him. He can't be blamed for Benkovic and Henriksen being do far off the pace and clattering everything that moved it was a wonder they didn't receive marching orders from the referee; and he can't be blamed for our midfield allowing O'brien and Smith-Rowe advance 40 yards with the ball without a semblance of a challenge. This wasn't a bunch of kids we put out on the pitch tonight but highly rated professionals with international caps behind them. If LJ had some stern words to say to them tonight it's no more than I expect and they deserve. It's about time some of them woke up, smelt the coffee and came to the party. 

Totally unprofessional of the players, but it looks like the proverbial "lost the dressing room" to me. Being thrown under the bus and playing in ever changing formations probably irritate people who earn a living in the game, and those who have acheived a lot more than Johnson probably have a lot of influence amongst their team mates and see straight through a coach who has been getting away with it due to the patronage of the owner.

I hope he goes but its just as likely Mr Lansdown will come out all guns blazing in support of his man.

36 minutes ago, Galley is our king said:

Many many people died so you could freely text calling the whole thing "pointless"

My original point was just simply (and it was posted at halftime) that unlike the heroes in WW1, loads of so called supporters had given up before the second half!

Had that happened in WW1, it would have ended in 1916 with defeat and invasion by German troops. Europe would be lost

Disgraceful.

Why try (and fail) to even mention the Great War in the same sentence as pissed off football fans.

That's disgraceful and your attempt to deflect that is pathetic in all honesty.

12 hours ago, Loosey Boy said:

Absolutely disgraceful performance on a freezing cold night in Yorkshire - so wish I hadn’t bothered!

I watched it from the comfort of my armchair in front of a roaring fire but, likewise, wish I hadn't bothered......

1 hour ago, CityCiderEd said:

How old are your generation......................trench warfare ended in 1918.

I am 65 so no I obviously didn't fight in WW1! in fact, seeing you needed to be 18 to fight, I would now be 120!

My generation uses the phrase. It's a way of describing a weak person, someone who has no fight and gives up too easily. Is it PC? Absolutely not, but I think the PC stuff has gone too far anyway. That's another generation thing!

My Grandfather fought in WW1 (just 18).

My Dad fought in the Gloucestershire Regiment in Korea (Glorious Gloucesters).

My point? My Dad dug and fought in trenches. I except not as long or as deep but trenches nevertheless.

This will be my last comment on this, i don't understand why anyone didn't think it was an analogy.

4 hours ago, Galley is our king said:

Disgraceful.

Why should I be ashamed of myself? The first World War was utterly stupid, pointless and avoidable (eg same as Vietnam and plenty of others I could name). That's not denigrating the poor blokes who died in it. They were pawns in a ridiculous power play by politicians and generals. 

WW1 was not like WW2,  although the punitive peace terms the Allies imposed on Germany went some way to create the conditions for Nazism and WW2.

Your point about being run by Berlin shows your ignorance of history. Germany's war aim in 1914 was not to invade Britain. By 1916, with the two sides locked in an arm wrestle, we could have sued for peace, sorted out terms, and saved millions of lives...but jingoism and nationalism ruled the day, meaning both sides had to slog through the mud for two more years of misery.

All the 'war to end all wars' did was to create another one that was even worse.

Archived