IGNORED

Selling Brownhill was the mother of all mistakes

reddogkev

I still don't believe we did it - and I don't really care how much money we got for him.  For me, quite simply, JB was the one who could have pushed us into the play-offs.

He doesn't strike me as the type of guy who would have been stroppy and downed tools if we rejected the Burnley bid - we should have waited for the Summer ... so what if we didn't sell him for the same amount, we're hardly broke, are we?

For me, the January sale of JB is a lack of ambition, even though quite a few good posters on here have justified the sale as good business sense, well sorry, but you need to keep your best players when trying for promotion.

Agree or disagree?  Any opinions welcomed with open arms.

1 minute ago, cidercity1987 said:

Well he might have flucked us a few more points with some long rangers but that would just be papering over the cracks of our structure

He would have scored a few more, that's for sure - possibly tonight for example, alas we'll never know.

I don't agree with the papering over the cracks suggestion though.

2 minutes ago, RedDave said:

Couldn’t believe it when so many people said they didn’t mind him going. Massive loss.  Only appreciate what you’ve got when it’s gone 

I was absolutely gutted and haven't been to a game since, still shocked by it now if I'm honest.

Personally I think that's a very simplistic view of the situation.

All season I've been reading is that we're one player away from getting things going - once Dasilva is back, or Kalas is back, or Smith is back...

...or Afobe is back, or we recall Walsh/Morrell/Taylor...

..or we sign a clinical striker, or we sign a taller midfielder, or we start playing Eliasson...

...or we switch to 3-5-2, or 4-4-2, or was it 4-3-3?

I believe we've tried a different midfield pairing in EVERY one of our last 5 games. How many of them have we had a different back 3/4/5 together?

To my untrained eyes the reason we're constantly looking for a "magic bullet" is that the problems we're seeing run much deeper than one player, or a slight formation tweak. One new person, or one extra body in midfield isn't going to change the issues we've seen in the last few games, and throughout this season.

10 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

I still don't believe we did it - and I don't really care how much money we got for him.  For me, quite simply, JB was the one who could have pushed us into the play-offs.

He doesn't strike me as the type of guy who would have been stroppy and downed tools if we rejected the Burnley bid - we should have waited for the Summer ... so what if we didn't sell him for the same amount, we're hardly broke, are we?

For me, the January sale of JB is a lack of ambition, even though quite a few good posters on here have justified the sale as good business sense, well sorry, but you need to keep your best players when trying for promotion.

Agree or disagree?  Any opinions welcomed with open arms.

Totally disagree

You’ve  been listening to LJs excuses and mithering too much Kev

Brownhill was dreadful in the period up to his move and shouldn’t even have been in the side

6 minutes ago, CiderHider said:

Selling your best player and captain is never good especially mid season no matter how you spin it.

5 minutes ago, Cardy said:

Selling Brownhill & replacing him with Henrikson now looks like promotion suicide. Mark Ashton was strutting round like a peacock at the end of the window but he is as much to blame for this mess as Johnson. 

Exactly right, if I ever get the chance to question City about this in any public forum in the future, I will let them have it on this one.

He's barely going to break into Burnley's first eleven this season, and may have pushed us onto promotion, what the hell was the point?

1 minute ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Totally disagree

You’ve  been listening to LJs excuses and mithering too much Kev

Brownhill was dreadful in the period up to his move and shouldn’t even have been in the side

Respect your comments, although you won't be surprised to hear that I disagree with your harsh appraisal of Brownhill's form in his latter stages for the club.

For what it's worth, I never listen to LJ after a City defeat, just can't stand to hear anything that might sound like an excuse, etc.

9 minutes ago, Cardy said:

Selling Brownhill & replacing him with Henrikson now looks like promotion suicide. Mark Ashton was strutting round like a peacock at the end of the window but he is as much to blame for this mess as Johnson. 

Agree that losing Brownhill was serious blow but no way could the club stand in his way of move to the PL.

We haven’t seen enough of Henriksen nor is he 100% fit yet - hopefully he’ll come good but tonight’s result was a dreadful one - probably the worse performance of the season.

12 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

And another thing, I bet it wasn't LJ's decision to sell JB, no doubt he would've wanted to keep him - just like he also hinted that he wanted to retain Pack in the Summer just gone.

LJ was full of himself after the Derby game, crowing about his three new signings, taking all the credit for bringing them in. He wasn’t concerned about Brownhill going that night!

Naki Wells wouldn’t be here if Brownhill didn’t go the other way to Burnley.

Archived