IGNORED

Selling Brownhill was the mother of all mistakes

reddogkev

• Admin
2 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

Respect your comments, although you won't be surprised to hear that I disagree with your harsh appraisal of Brownhill's form in his latter stages for the club.

For what it's worth, I never listen to LJ after a City defeat, just can't stand to hear anything that might sound like an excuse, etc.

I think losing Josh was just the straw that broke the camels back, we weren't really any better a few weeks back we've been pretty average at best all season. What we have lost is that one player who would keep the midfield going. Our midfield look overrun and clueless every week lately 

All clubs trade players and of course if we had Joe Bryan, Bobby Reid, Adam Webster, Josh Brownhill in the current squad we would be a stronger outfit. However, it is pretty much impossible to turn down big bids in the present FFP climate and even harder to deny players their Premier League dream and the huge wages that go with it.

5 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

Exactly right, if I ever get the chance to question City about this in any public forum in the future, I will let them have it on this one.

He's barely going to break into Burnley's first eleven this season, and may have pushed us onto promotion, what the hell was the point?

The point was a Prem team offered the money and Josh moved likely quadrupling his pay packet.

There is little anyone at the club could do.

2 minutes ago, phantom said:

I think losing Josh was just the straw that broke the camels back, we weren't really any better a few weeks back we've been pretty average at best all season. What we have lost is that one player who would keep the midfield going. Our midfield look overrun and clueless every week lately 

Yep, totally agree, which was clearly going to happen.  All the more puzzling why we would sanction the sale.

I'd posit this has to mean that promotion is not of a big interest to the board / owner of City.  We have to stop selling our top talent so readily. 

2 minutes ago, CiderHider said:

The point was a Prem team offered the money and Josh moved likely quadrupling his pay packet.

There is little anyone at the club could do.

We should have rejected the offer ... explain to Josh that he's a crucial component of a team gunning for promotion and he'll be free to leave in the Summer with our blessing.

3 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

We should have rejected the offer ... explain to Josh that he's a crucial component of a team gunning for promotion and he'll be free to leave in the Summer with our blessing.

Do you really expect the club to just gamble £8m on Brownhill to be the difference between promotion or not?

1 minute ago, Maesknoll Red said:

I can see your point, but I think if a players sets their heart on leaving and it’s to a higher league, then stopping them is not right.

We have done the self same thing, just think back to Taylor from the sags.

I' get what you're saying, but I'm sure Brownhill would've understood the rationale - if top six was the true objective.

30 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

I still don't believe we did it - and I don't really care how much money we got for him.  For me, quite simply, JB was the one who could have pushed us into the play-offs.

He doesn't strike me as the type of guy who would have been stroppy and downed tools if we rejected the Burnley bid - we should have waited for the Summer ... so what if we didn't sell him for the same amount, we're hardly broke, are we?

For me, the January sale of JB is a lack of ambition, even though quite a few good posters on here have justified the sale as good business sense, well sorry, but you need to keep your best players when trying for promotion.

Agree or disagree?  Any opinions welcomed with open arms.

agree. massive loss

13 minutes ago, sglosbcfc said:

Do you really expect the club to just gamble £8m on Brownhill to be the difference between promotion or not?

Hang on a minute, apparently we've sold him for £10million, surely we didn't have a release clause to sell him for just £2million this Summer?  Terrible if true, so I can't believe that for one minute!

I'm torn on the Brownhill sale. 

I thought that Webster should have been the last of key outgoings, so to see Pack go on deadline day and then Brownhill too, that was a bit of a shock! Also worth noting that he had already reached his record goals in a season. 

Tactically he was good too. Or gave us options. He could play centrally of course, but also right or pushed higher- that versatility as well as a goal threat IS important. 

Couldn't have got Wells without this sale though. Think Brownhill had his tactical uses certainly as well as the goal threat of course. 

Eg:

Brownhill Nagy Rowe Eliasson

One option. 

Or 

Brownhill Nagy Henriksen

Or. 

Nagy

Brownhill Massengo

That 3 if a genuine 3, in any one of those combinations  could've been quite interesting. 

I digress! His goals from midfield and his versatility...could've been useful now still but Brownhill felt a sale too far yet I understand we didn't have much choice.

1 hour ago, reddogkev said:

Yep, totally agree, which was clearly going to happen.  All the more puzzling why we would sanction the sale.

I'd posit this has to mean that promotion is not of a big interest to the board / owner of City.  We have to stop selling our top talent so readily. 

Can you not see that the deal was done because we wanted Naki Wells from the s@me club Brownhill went to ? 

LJ clearly wasn’t concerned at the time, he wanted the 20 goal striker. 

Now that he realises we haven’t got a midfield he is full of excuses. 

LJ is a gambler, the same as his Dad is, there is no plan, it’s either hit or miss, this is just another miss to go with numerous other ones! 

At the time I thought it was good business and inevitable he was going to go. I think most fans did. After consecutive losses it looks less and less like good business. Before the Leeds match no-one was crying about it though, in fact many on here were lauding how he wasn't missed. For me the jury is still out in either direction... 

4 hours ago, Shtanley said:

"There was no such clause, in this window"

3 hours ago, phantom said:

Correct it was in the summer so we cashed in now. Which would make me assume we were offered more now than what his buy out clause would have been in the summer 

3 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

There WAS a clause that kicked in at end of season

For what it’s worth -

MA said there was no clause, period. If any of you are right I suppose he must have been lying. I would not wish to make that accusation for sure. 

8 hours ago, nickolas said:

I’ll raise you ‘keeping LJ is the bigger mother of mistakes’!

Spot on, Brownhill was 1 player not an entire system or structure, he was just as lost playing in this way and would disappear for long periods like all the rest.

I honestly can’t remember seeing a City midfielder putting in a real shift, unfortunately too many get coached into his mould as a player.

Safe, sideways/backwards

6 hours ago, Redwhitepurple said:

Bristol sport business.  R.i.p bristol city fc

Are you factoring in FFP or the need to trade- or the likelihood of the need of selling Brownhill to Burnley to be able to get Wells- both financially and deal wise.

Or the fact that when PL clubs come in it's very hard to hold on- we'd be having the same discussions in the summer if for example Lazio come in for Eliasson- not PL but exactly the same principle.

Archived