IGNORED

Player Ratings Huddersfield

And Its Smith

Just got back to hotel, freezing. Nearly crashed the car in the ice and snow. First of all, I appreciate I have a reputation as a LJ lover but even I cannot defend tonight’s selections, formation or performance.  I would still keep LJ as I’m patient but he needs to start showing he is learning from his errors.  Just because someone is a LJ fan doesn’t mean they should find excuses for him. 

LJ’s head is clearly completely scrambled. The best thing he can do now is go 4-3-3, try to win a midfield over 90 mins for once and stick with the same team for a bit. 

Bentley 6 - must have received over 50 passes tonight as the defenders went back to him due to lack of midfield bravery to show for the ball

Hunt - 5 - tried hard but too isolated against a good opponent

Dasilva - 5 - as above

Baker - 6 probably the pick of the defence which says nothing really. Good in the air and at least tried to pass forward along the floor

Benkovic - 4 - off the pace and average in possession. Again not helped by an awful midfield in front of him

Kalas - 4 - a shadow of his former self. 

Henriksen 3 - like a slower Marlon Pack. Clueless. Completely inept and constantly a yard awat from where he needed to be

Rowe - 4 - never the answer in a million years. How he is picked ahead of Nagy even once is beyond me 

Paterson - 4 - poor start and then hid from the ball for large parts. 

Wells - 6 - feel sorry for him. I didn’t want him to join as knew this would happen. We create little and so don’t suit him. Fam doesn’t look like he can link well with anyone. When coming a bit deeper Wells looked our best player even though it’s not really his game. Says it all really

Diedhiou - 5 - tried hard as always but lost most headers and struggled to impact game

Subs

Elliason - 5 seems a lot easier to defend against him nowadays. Double up and we aren’t good enough to expose extra man

Nagy - 7 - clearly better deep which is why him and Henriksen doesn’t work. Nagy should be starting ever game now. If he has a bad game then stick with him as he is better than the rest

Weimann - 6 - ran around 

Johnson - 3 - got everything wrong. Even the last sub. Was crying out for Palmer as a final big dice role. 

Wouldn’t argue with most of that aside from both Hunt and Dasilva who barely deserved a 3. Nagy our only positive. 

My first away game all season. Though I’d see our great counter attacking game first hand after so much dross at home! 

Would be frustrated if I was managing the Terriers as poor finishing stepped them getting the 5 or 6 goal margin their dominance deserved. Very depressing!

Baker was our best defender, thought was unlucky on the pen stood his ground and Smith Rowe launched himself into Baker. 
Thought Rowe played much better 2nd half with Nagy, but why take him off and play Pato  as a cm.

Kalas seemed to get better as match went on

Hunt was a waste of space never tracked back and left us so open, same with desilva first half, but defended better 2nd half.

Pereria has to start at Millwall instead of Hunt.

Saw it a little different to that:-

Bents. 7  sound kicking and reasonably secure handling

Hunt    4  passing atrocious, can’t recall a tackle

Baker   6 good defensive headers, one of few who kept position and looked interested

Benko  3 looked lost

Kalas 4 disinterested

Dasilva 5 couple of flurries but pretty aimless

Henricksen 3 no impact

Rowe 3 couple of touches, disappeared

Patterson 3 normal anonymous service resumed

Wells 5 some movement with little effect

Diedhiou 5 dominated by opponents

Subs

Weimann 4 ran around and nearly won a foul

Elliason 6 threat then a whimper

Nagy 5 didn’t protect back 4 but made some completed passes and a number of uncompleted ones.

Team performance/coaching 2  pathetic, defence poor, midfield absent, attack isolated

9 minutes ago, RedRock said:

Baker   6 good defensive headers, one of few who kept position and looked interested

Benko  3 looked lost

Kalas 4 disinterested

Henricksen 3 no impact

Subs

Nagy 5 didn’t protect back 4 but made some completed passes and a number of uncompleted ones.

Team performance/coaching 2  pathetic, defence poor, midfield absent, attack isolated

Kalas has had his one good season, and drives around in a Bentley. Why should he care?

16 minutes ago, Redstart said:

I just can't get my head around signing Benkovic on loan and then shoving Taylor Moore out to Blackpool - Benkovic not improved us at all in my opinion.

13m Leicester paid for Benkovic..

I've not seen a hint of why they would pay that much tbh.

Moore had a mistake in him but he's young and I think he was sent out on loan to make those mistakes elsewhere and learn from them, coming back a better player. But in hindsight I tend to agree - is Benkovic any better ? Not too sure about that.

Amazing that tonight we had three centre backs who cost around 25m and in that first half they looked more like ten bob.

Recorded the game....watched on my iPhone.  Couldn’t really pick out the players.

Not gonna apportion blame, but it is the kind of display that gets a manager sacked.  @RedDave - I think your marks were generous, fair play to you.

That for me was worse than the two Preston games (one away one home) where I seriously thought LJ’s time might be coming to an end.  I don’t think that is the case tonight per se, so I won’t go any further along that discussion point.

I would normally say x was wrong, y was wrong, and in my head (at least) think I could spot little issues.  Tonight, I am at a loss.  I really don’t know where a performance like that comes from.

Not sure I can face listening to the post-match presser.

Deflated tonight.

Finally, if the roads are dodgy, please drive carefully.

3 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Recorded the game....watched on my iPhone.  Couldn’t really pick out the players.

Not gonna apportion blame, but it is the kind of display that gets a manager sacked.  @RedDave - I think your marks were generous, fair play to you.

That for me was worse than the two Preston games (one away one home) where I seriously thought LJ’s time might be coming to an end.  I don’t think that is the case tonight per se, so I won’t go any further along that discussion point.

I would normally say x was wrong, y was wrong, and in my head (at least) think I could spot little issues.  Tonight, I am at a loss.  I really don’t know where a performance like that comes from.

Not sure I can face listening to the post-match presser.

Deflated tonight.

Finally, if the roads are dodgy, please drive carefully.

My lowest marks were given to midfielders mainly. People will roast them defenders too but when they have literally nothing in front of them they can be forgiven a little. That’s our worst midfield display since the Glenn Pennyfather and Phil Barber days ! 

The weird thing is, the players looked really fired up at the start of the game, but in a sort reckless, uncontrolled way, wayward tackles and hasty passing. And whilst they never gained any composure, they slowly lost their enthusiasm. 

2 minutes ago, RedDave said:

My lowest marks were given to midfielders mainly. People will roast them defenders too but when they have literally nothing in front of them they can be forgiven a little. That’s our worst midfield display since the Glenn Pennyfather and Phil Barber days ! 

Thought they were culpable (in some way) by being so deep.  The distances back to front were appalling at this level.  I really don’t want to pick out individual points as they are all “cause and effect” of a shit performance.  Not disagreeing with your marks....you were there, I watched on a 5” screen. ??

6 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Thought they were culpable (in some way) by being so deep.  The distances back to front were appalling at this level.  I really don’t want to pick out individual points as they are all “cause and effect” of a shit performance.  Not disagreeing with your marks....you were there, I watched on a 5” screen. ??

Said this watching the game Dave . Must of been 60 yard from back to front . The space between midfield and the front men were ridiculous . Thought he might go with 352 but it was more like 

shambles

1 hour ago, RedDave said:

Just got back to hotel, freezing. Nearly crashed the car in the ice and snow. First of all, I appreciate I have a reputation as a LJ lover but even I cannot defend tonight’s selections, formation or performance.  I would still keep LJ as I’m patient but he needs to start showing he is learning from his errors.  Just because someone is a LJ fan doesn’t mean they should find excuses for him. 

LJ’s head is clearly completely scrambled. The best thing he can do now is go 4-3-3, try to win a midfield over 90 mins for once and stick with the same team for a bit. 

Bentley 6 - must have received over 50 passes tonight as the defenders went back to him due to lack of midfield bravery to show for the ball

Dasilva - 5 - as above

Baker - 6 probably the pick of the defence which says nothing really. Good in the air and at least tried to pass forward along the floor

Benkovic - 4 - off the pace and average in possession. Again not helped by an awful midfield in front of him

Henriksen 3 - like a slower Marlon Pack. Clueless. Completely inept and constantly a yard awat from where he needed to be

Rowe - 4 - never the answer in a million years. How he is picked ahead of Nagy even once is beyond me 

Wells - 6 - feel sorry for him. I didn’t want him to join as knew this would happen. We create little and so don’t suit him. Fam doesn’t look like he can link well with anyone. When coming a bit deeper Wells looked our best player even though it’s not really his game. Says it all really

Diedhiou - 5 - tried hard as always but lost most headers and struggled to impact game

Subs

Elliason - 5 seems a lot easier to defend against him nowadays. Double up and we aren’t good enough to expose extra man

Nagy - 7 - clearly better deep which is why him and Henriksen doesn’t work. Nagy should be starting ever game now. If he has a bad game then stick with him as he is better than the rest

Weimann - 6 - ran around 

Johnson - 3 - got everything wrong. Even the last sub. Was crying out for Palmer as a final big dice role. 

I watched on my laptop so not as good as being there seeing the whole pitch.

So having said that, I think you are being a bit generous with the marks for Hunt and Baker. I thought both were totally inept with Hunt continuously passing to the opposition and Baker continuously hoofing it to the opposition. Marginally better in the second half but I'd still mark them down to 4.

Totally agree re Wells and Nagy and hope his ankle holds up.

12 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

Said this watching the game Dave . Must of been 60 yard from back to front . The space between midfield and the front men were ridiculous . Thought he might go with 352 but it was more like 

shambles

Which pitch were that ‘4’ playing on? 

21 minutes ago, mozo said:

The weird thing is, the players looked really fired up at the start of the game, but in a sort reckless, uncontrolled way, wayward tackles and hasty passing. And whilst they never gained any composure, they slowly lost their enthusiasm. 

Yep.

Fired up in a yellow card sort of way. 

9 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

shambles

My favourite term to describe why we’ve had poor(er) away performances over LJ’s tenure is:

”Strung Out”

When I look at how compact / disciplined we were versus Fulham (a), I just can’t get my head around how (and you are right SSN) you can have 60 yards front to back.  I think you’re being generous in suggesting the the 4 played close to the 3.  The two WBs might have.  Garry Birtles (whilst commentating on a game once) said the optimum distance front to back is 35 yards. It’s stuck with me.

2 hours ago, RedDave said:

Dasilva - 5 - as above

Subs

Weimann - 6 - ran around 

And i think their is the problem he still got a beef with palmer and palmer has the backing of the players .

• Admin
2 hours ago, hollydog said:

I would be frustrated if I was managing the Terriers as poor finishing stepped them getting the 5 or 6 goal margin their dominance deserved. Very depressing!

The concerning thing is that is the third game on the bounce we could have been anihalated 

Just back to Portishead! Agree with those scores @RedDave Maybe generous to Weimann, who I thought added nothing. 

Only positive was a much improved Nagy who at least looked to make things happen. 

But apart from possibly Diedhiou and Wells there’s no-one who I’d feel was a definite starter for Saturday on that performance, and those two only because there are no alternatives. 

2 hours ago, bcfc01 said:

13m Leicester paid for Benkovic..

I've not seen a hint of why they would pay that much tbh.

Moore had a mistake in him but he's young and I think he was sent out on loan to make those mistakes elsewhere and learn from them, coming back a better player. But in hindsight I tend to agree - is Benkovic any better ? Not too sure about that.

Amazing that tonight we had three centre backs who cost around 25m and in that first half they looked more like ten bob.

Moore is just better than Benko burger. He may improve but wtf. Moore was here and wouldn’t have got himself booked for nothing After 10 mins and taken off at ht...Benkovic is a liability, however as he he is playing with at least 7 other liabilities why single him out!

2 hours ago, RedRock said:

Benko  3 looked lost

Kalas 4 disinterested

Henricksen 3 no impact

Subs

I would pretty much agree with all that and would add that, watching on the red button, I did not quite hear who had gone off, apart from Benkovic, for NE and AN at half time, but until he was take off for Weimann assumed that Rowe had already been taken off as I don't think he touched the ball in the 2nd half, and I guess that I had forgotten that Henricksen had started anyway, so anonymous was he in the 1st half.  

Also,  you are spot on about Pato.  I thought when he came on against West Brom he really played well against a good WBA team in what was a poor City performance, but cannot recall anything he did in 90 minutes against Huddersfield.

Also your comment about Eliasson is spot on, where did he go after their penalty?

19 minutes ago, italian dave said:

Just back to Portishead! Agree with those scores @RedDave Maybe generous to Weimann, who I thought added nothing. 

Only positive was a much improved Nagy who at least looked to make things happen. 

But apart from possibly Diedhiou and Wells there’s no-one who I’d feel was a definite starter for Saturday on that performance, and those two only because there are no alternatives. 

Weimann added nothing...He came on, increased our tempo, got stuck in and did what he always does make others around him play better....If I remember correctly we even got one back toward the end on a night when at one point we had zero shots to their twelve...However nice work going up there for that shit show!

Just got back. 
Splendid journey through the snow, blizzards, wind, rain, puddle soaked motorways and closures. Joyous. 
What a load of old turd that game was. Absolutely terrible. 
And the cherry on top was the last 15 minutes, Jamie Paterson was played in a central midfield 2!!! What the actual ****!!! 

23 minutes ago, Harry said:

Just got back. 
Splendid journey through the snow, blizzards, wind, rain, puddle soaked motorways and closures. Joyous. 
And the cherry on top was the last 15 minutes, Jamie Paterson was played in a central midfield 2!!! What the actual ****!!! 

Fair play to you. I'm still fuming and can't sleep because of the nightmare earlier...

Elliasson Pato Nagy Weimann

Wells Fam 

Was our last throw of the dice... crazy. Should have been 5 or 6 - 0

7 hours ago, Davefevs said:

My favourite term to describe why we’ve had poor(er) away performances over LJ’s tenure is:

”Strung Out”

When I look at how compact / disciplined we were versus Fulham (a), I just can’t get my head around how (and you are right SSN) you can have 60 yards front to back.  I think you’re being generous in suggesting the the 4 played close to the 3.  The two WBs might have.  Garry Birtles (whilst commentating on a game once) said the optimum distance front to back is 35 yards. It’s stuck with me.

Heard this plenty of times from Gary Neville/ Jamie carragher. 35-40 yards back to front , compact. Teams can’t play through you and can put pressure on the ball. We had none of that. Some saying Huddersfield played well? a league two team would of caused up problems with the amount of space given. 
Agree regarding Fulham , it was a textbook away , compact formation. 
That last night was seriously worrying. 

5 hours ago, Harry said:

Just got back. 

Fair play for going. I went on a Saturday a few years ago. It’s a long old trip. 
Noticed pato in midfield as well. I just started laughing . Then again , I didn’t have a 4 hour journey home. 

Archived