IGNORED

LJ - Post match comments

lenred

Simply not good enough after over five years in the job.

By now he should have constructed a team around a definitive style and formation, where everyone is well motivated, knows what they have to do, and goes out and does it. We can handle defeats where we lose despite doing all of the above...it happens. What we can’t handle is tombola selections, constantly changing tactics, and a cluelessness as to what to do next.

Clearly he’s going nowhere before the end of the season but a fresh start is absolutely crucial in the summer.

Previously I’ve said 6th is the mimimum target but it’s now getting to the point where if by some miracle we were to fluke a 6th placed finished and then get smashed in the play offs by a Brentford or Fulham - which would seem inevitable - I’d still get shot of him. The whole thing is tired, stale and in desperate need of a new start.

7 hours ago, RedM said:

So is he burning them out in training and not giving this all important recovery time, you know it's the time we have moved matches for quite often? 

Quite probably the players are confused with tactics and formations, I am. I don't know who is going to start matches and if we are a neat passing team or hoof it long? Neither seems affective.

If he is a giving a dejective interview it hardly inspires confidence, and this isn't good going into the next match and beyond. Players, fans and most importantly Steve Lansdown won't be impressed by a Head Coach that is finding it difficult to coach.

Can I stress it wasn't the result tonight that is breaking me, it was the absolute shambles of the performance. But for Huddersfield's poor finishing it could easy have been another Preston, it was worse than the Preston performance by miles too.

It’s not just the change in formation , it’s the constant change in team selection. I’ve said it many times, he needs to pick a formation whatever that may be, and pick the best players to suit that formation. Start with building relationships, we have changed players throughout the spine of the team game by game. He’ll make at least four changes for Saturday , if we lose to mil wall it’ll be another four of five changes for Fulham 

7 hours ago, Davefevs said:

What he should be saying is something along the lines of:

”I spotted some issues, tried to fix them with some little tweaks in the first half, but Huddersfield had built up a head of steam, so I had to change it more significantly at half-time.  We were better second half as a result, but I will be using the de-brief tomorrow to ensure they understand what was needed”

At least give the impression of being all-knowing.  I suspect he will need to watch the video back to formulate the answers, because it’s obvious he hasn’t been able to pinpoint the issues during the 90 minutes (and 15 at h-t) and remedy them.  Nor have his coaches and nor have his analysts.

Again he has resorted to a sledgehammer at h-t.

You prep the players for 5212 for the game, but abandon it after 45, changing both formation and personnel.  Critically leaving one sub up your sleeve too.  If Benkovic was injured, why not Williams as sub?  Maybe get the back line squeezed cup 15-20 yards.  See what happens.  Give it 10 minutes.  But no, 442, Eliasson on, **** the preparation.  Why not Re-inforce all the good stuff they did in training.

His Reading of the game is one of his his biggest development areas.  Same questions of Deano and Macca too.

Agree with a lot of that, but it's been the same in all his time here he stumbles across a system, let's face is he only pulled 3-5-2 out of his arse when Dasilva got injured and he realised that we'd not bothered to pick up a left back as cover. 

Sometimes it works, but  because he has no defined philosophy he literally bins it the second it goes wrong. 

We played 4-1-4-1 for a while and we saw 4 clean sheets and 4 wins on the bounce, but as soon as that goes wrong it's lobbed in the bin. 

His "preferred" system lasted 45 minutes last night before it got chucked in the bin in the name of the selection tombola. 

Look at the teams above us, they play a defined way with the same team as much as possible, making slight tactical tweaks from game to game, we throw everything out every couple of weeks meaning different teams playing different ways all the time and we wonder why they can't pass to each other? 

Last night we come up against a side that can score goals but is bloody awful at defending only Luton have conceded more I believe, so do we go to impose ourselves on the game and look to score and then exploit their weakness and likely low confidence, do we bollocks we go to sit off and allow them all the time in the world to grow their confidence and start to play, while we **** about like 11.blokes who have never played together before. 

26 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

What “tidal wave” of negativity? A few 100 social media posts. This place doesn’t represent the fan base, if it did there would be huge booing and Johnson out chants around the ground as well as low crowds. That may be considered a “tidal wave”.

I was with people of all ages last night from all walks of life, the one thing we had in common was that we were all City fans. There certainly wasn’t a lot of knee jerk reactions from them on the coach after the game, but I didn’t particularly hear many words of support either, just pure hard facts and views sensibly debated.

Many of these people attend every match home and away, they have seen many managers come and go and the peaks and troughs of our fortune over the years. If these people have now had enough then that is worrying. Nobody is enjoying what we are getting at the moment, with what the Head Coach has at his disposal we should be capible of producing better. And as I’ve said elsewhere if the Head Coach is now saying he doesn’t know what to do, that is really concerning and hard to walk that back now it’s out there.

11 minutes ago, daored said:

It’s not just the change in formation , it’s the constant change in team selection. I’ve said it many times, he needs to pick a formation whatever that may be, and pick the best players to suit that formation. Start with building relationships, we have changed players throughout the spine of the team game by game. He’ll make at least four changes for Saturday , if we lose to mil wall it’ll be another four of five changes for Fulham 

Yes I would agree, I did mean the churn of the team too but didn’t include it in that post. I did write somewhere yesterday before the match that I have felt that we seem better when we have less players to select from, as it forces our hand sometimes to stick rather than twist.

15 minutes ago, westonred said:

You cant blame the new players for the problems.  Henrikson hasn't played all season and clearly is not match fit yet, Benovik plays with a different partner every match and Wells just isn't getting the service needed to score goals 

The fact these 3 have come in and performances are equally poor if not worse I think shows where the problems lays.

The problem is we are fans that can see the problems. We can find the damning stats to show just how poor we have been creating and defending. The guy that makes the decision just sees 3 points from 6th.

16 minutes ago, RedM said:

I was with people of all ages last night from all walks of life, the one thing we had in common was that we were all City fans. There certainly wasn’t a lot of knee jerk reactions from them on the coach after the game, but I didn’t particularly hear many words of support either, just pure hard facts and views sensibly debated.

Many of these people attend every match home and away, they have seen many managers come and go and the peaks and troughs of our fortune over the years. If these people have now had enough then that is worrying. Nobody is enjoying what we are getting at the moment, with what the Head Coach has at his disposal we should be capible of producing better. And as I’ve said elsewhere if the Head Coach is now saying he doesn’t know what to do, that is really concerning and hard to walk that back now it’s out there.

I don’t disagree with you, but we’ve all experienced an AG atmosphere when the fans have had enough of the manager, that isn’t happening (yet).

My point was that it’s certainly not a “tidal wave” of negativity like some make out and 2-3 wins in a row would soon turn the disappointment around. Maybe it’s because we’re still so close to the playoff spots and there’s that faint glimmer of hope, if we’d dropped 9/10 points off then maybe the crowds would drop and the boos would ring out?

7 hours ago, Mendip City said:

Agree in some ways but what is his reputation? If we miss the play offs this season his career record, despite all the talk, all the self-publicity, all the hype, all the signings, will be 8 years, no promotions, no play-offs, no relegations.... in other words 8 mid-table finishes. 

Yep - it’s very middle of the road there’s no doubt about that.  But it’s because of that self publicity, because of the cup run, because of the hype at certain stages, because of him appearing on Sky and Talksport that he will go on to get a fairly decent role I think - at the moment!  He still has that ‘young English up and coming manager’ going for him - just. I’m not saying I agree that he should, but football is as much about the veneer these days as anything else and so it wouldn’t surprise me. I’m not talking Prem but think Championship, or even maybe abroad, for sure.  

6 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

I don’t disagree with you, but we’ve all experienced an AG atmosphere when the fans have had enough of the manager, that isn’t happening (yet).

My point was that it’s certainly not a “tidal wave” of negativity like some make out and 2-3 wins in a row would soon turn the disappointment around. Maybe it’s because we’re still so close to the playoff spots and there’s that faint glimmer of hope, if we’d dropped 9/10 points off then maybe the crowds would drop and the boos would ring out?

What about the mass exodus’s at Ashton Gate before the final whistle? Does that not show discontent? Possibly more at the performance, granted, but the vibe is there

54 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

His demeanour is totally different to usual. Very odd. Usually when a manager’s demeanour changes like that they don’t have long left.. Reminds me of Cotterill interviews towards the end.

Yeah I’m getting defeated vibes and not just on the pitch 

2 minutes ago, exAtyeoMax said:

What about the mass exodus’s at Ashton Gate before the final whistle? Does that not show discontent? Possibly more at the performance, granted, but the vibe is there

...and the vibe is more apathy than anger. We all know that LJ is living a charmed life. We could boo all we liked and SL would put his arm around poor Lee and blame us ungrateful know-nothings.

It's pathetic, not enraging. 

Johnson has never been as upset since he has been here. He should be used to it by now. The same pattern every year. Fall away and bottle it. Whenever a Johnson team gets to the business end of the season when there is a lot riding on each game and we need a result we simply don't turn up. Leaderless with no fight or resilience. How he can be paid to do this year after year. I can handle being out played but out fought no. We now truly have a team in Johnson's image. 

8 hours ago, Roger Red Hat said:

Should LJ be sacked, please don't let SL pick his successor.

Really?  His last two choices haven’t been bad.  The first won us promotion.  The second took us from the verge of relegation to the edge of the playoffs.  When the time comes for the next manager, I’m happy to trust Steve L.

4 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Really?  His last two choices haven’t been bad.  The first won us promotion.  The second took us from the verge of relegation to the edge of the playoffs.  When the time comes for the next manager, I’m happy to trust Steve L.

Wasn't Cotterill the choice of Keith Dawe?

There a forum myth that the manager choices each time rotate between Dawe, Steve L and Jon L.. if that's true and Lee Johnson was Steve's choice.. that means it's Jon's next ?

downsy.thumb.png.123492e0068a4adc8d60e7b64f2e0014.pngWhat cou

1 hour ago, MarcusX said:

What “tidal wave” of negativity? A few 100 social media posts. This place doesn’t represent the fan base, if it did there would be huge booing and Johnson out chants around the ground as well as low crowds. That may be considered a “tidal wave”.

You should walk around the concourse before a home game and talk to as many people as possible. 

A significant percentage will tell you that they are not enjoying what is on offer especially in home games.

The Johnson era is coming to an end.

47 minutes ago, RedM said:

Well put - OTIB is hampered with cry wolf syndrome, in that some people will go on about LJ out every week, so that the tone on here is assumed to be knee jerk and inaccurate - and as such when it really is setting the tone of supporters at games it tends to get lost in the noise.

But yesterday the rational loyal seen-it-all-before people who trudge to every away game were angry and there wasn't much defence of the manager. Positive people were negative and moderate people were furious. It really has few parallels in terms of the anger of an average supporter bar the 5-0 at Preston. The last thing either is, is knee jerk, they are both bottom of the barrel, end of the road performances, and as after Preston, the lot of them need to decide if they want to turn it round or not.

WeeLee is just a little boy, so he asked Gary, 'what will it be'?

'Is it the playoffs, is it the sack?' here's what he said to Lee.

'Shut your cake hole, son,'

'Watching your side's no fun,'

'Your midfields get overrun,'

'Shots on goal, there's none....'

One thing's for sure and that's, ' The Future's not ours with he......'

1 hour ago, MarcusX said:

That's because, for a large percentage of fans, going to AG is an afternoon out drinking with their mates. 

4 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Wasn't Cotterill the choice of Keith Dawe?

There a forum myth that the manager choices each time rotate between Dawe, Steve L and Jon L.. if that's true and Lee Johnson was Steve's choice.. that means it's Jon's next ?

downsy.thumb.png.123492e0068a4adc8d60e7b64f2e0014.pngWhat cou

No disrespect to him, but I don’t think Keith Dawe made many decisions.  Whoever was nominally chairman, it’s always SL who makes the decisions.

I agreed with the plan to build slowly, building on youth, and my worry is that that will be lost in a change of managers.  The fact that some on this would have Warnock as manager suggests that for some the quick fix is everything.  But please don’t tell me that Warnock would improve the quality of football...

January transfer windows have been pretty disastrous for us in three of the last four seasons.  Has any club made substantial changes in the January window and improved?  I’m not ITK, but it seems pretty clear to me that the January changes have destabilised the squad, and we’ve seen that before.  I do wonder what Johnson’s input into transfers is.  He clearly didn’t want to lose Brownhill, and I think he wanted Wells, but I don’t know about the other two...

8 hours ago, Portland Bill said:

I think back to the time Joe Jordan came in with 6 games to go, kicked the players up the arse, and had new fresh ideas and tactics. We won all 6 games, unfortunately we lost out to Walsall in the playoffs though. 

But it’s clear to just about everyone that change is needed, and needed now. The team are stale, the current manager has run out of ideas and there are 11 games to go. The ideal time for SL to make a big call. 

Jordan initially came in with 11 games to go, we drew 2 and lost 2 - and we won 7 of those 11 including the last four in a row, culminating in that brill moment from Colin Gordon to propel us into the play offs! It’s never too late! 

1 hour ago, Phileas Fogg said:

His demeanour is totally different to usual. Very odd. Usually when a manager’s demeanour changes like that they don’t have long left.. Reminds me of Cotterill interviews towards the end.

Agreed - he came across as a defeated man and someone who has run out of ideas

Archived