IGNORED

LJ - Post match comments

lenred

1 minute ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

No disrespect to him, but I don’t think Keith Dawe made many decisions.  Whoever was nominally chairman, it’s always SL who makes the decisions.

I don't know where it came from but lots of people seemed to think Dawe was the one who pushed for Cotterill. Someone else might know for sure, but I was under the understanding that Cotterill was definitely Dawe's man.

I agreed with the plan to build slowly, building on youth, and my worry is that that will be lost in a change of managers.  The fact that some on this would have Warnock as manager suggests that for some the quick fix is everything.  But please don’t tell me that Warnock would improve the quality of football...

I think people pushing for someone like Warnock are thinking for this season only as a firefighter. See if we can salvage playoffs and then reassess, taking the time to scout out a longer term manager. 

January transfer windows have been pretty disastrous for us in three of the last four seasons.  Has any club made substantial changes in the January window and improved?  I’m not ITK, but it seems pretty clear to me that the January changes have destabilised the squad, and we’ve seen that before.  I do wonder what Johnson’s input into transfers is.  He clearly didn’t want to lose Brownhill, and I think he wanted Wells, but I don’t know about the other two...

I don't think he can have any excuses about this January window. Granted, we lost Brownhill - but Johnson was able to bring in 3 first team players. I rated Brownhill but on paper anyway we should be stronger with 3 first team players coming in and 1 leaving. 

They probably need more time to make a proper judgement, only 2 weeks ago Henriksen was fantastic against Derby. Think they all need to be given more time before we can say whether they've destabilised the squad. 

It’s hard not to get emotional, it’s our team we want to be proud of and take the emotion out of football (yes VAR Is trying) and what have you got?

But I’ve just been thinking about what Steve Landsdown I think said before the last couple of seasons about there will be some  decisions made that many won’t like but it has to be done and how we shouldn’t get too attached emotionally to players.  Obviously he was talking  about selling players, but maybe he should now think back on his own words.*

* I am paraphrasing but I think that was the gist of his words. I really am not wanting people to be sacked or most probably leave with mutual consent (again) but I honestly don’t see how there is a way back for LJ right now, it would be a hell of a turnaround and part of the blame lays at the door of the players. They don’t come out of any of this with too much credit.

56 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

I don’t disagree with you, but we’ve all experienced an AG atmosphere when the fans have had enough of the manager, that isn’t happening (yet).

My point was that it’s certainly not a “tidal wave” of negativity like some make out and 2-3 wins in a row would soon turn the disappointment around. Maybe it’s because we’re still so close to the playoff spots and there’s that faint glimmer of hope, if we’d dropped 9/10 points off then maybe the crowds would drop and the boos would ring out?

In a way I think many people are too respectful to Boo. Like I said there were many people not happy after the game, but they wouldn’t be the ones to jump up and show discontent, but that doesn’t mean they are accepting of it either. 

Isnt the next home game the big Anniversary game, against Fulham. The club will not want that going badly with fear of mass booing if we are in a worse situation than we are now, they must be worried though.

2 minutes ago, RedM said:

In a way I think many people are too respectful to Boo. Like I said there were many people not happy after the game, but they wouldn’t be the ones to jump up and show discontent, but that doesn’t mean they are accepting of it either. 

Isnt the next home game the big Anniversary game, against Fulham. The club will not want that going badly with fear of mass booing if we are in a worse situation than we are now, they must be worried though.

It's already started to an extent, the boos that audibly rang out when we took of Eliasson against WBA despite him not actually playing well, speaks many words to me, as he's our only creative outlet due to they way we play. 

4 minutes ago, RedM said:

It’s hard not to get emotional, it’s our team we want to be proud of and take the emotion out of football (yes VAR Is trying) and what have you got?

But I’ve just been thinking about what Steve Landsdown I think said before the last couple of seasons about there will be some  decisions made that many won’t like but it has to be done and how we shouldn’t get too attached emotionally to players.  Obviously he was talking  about selling players, but maybe he should now think back on his own words.*

* I am paraphrasing but I think that was the gist of his words. I really am not wanting people to be sacked or most probably leave with mutual consent (again) but I honestly don’t see how there is a way back for LJ right now, it would be a hell of a turnaround and part of the blame lays at the door of the players. They don’t come out of any of this with too much credit.

I always appreciate your observations as you report from the front line of supporters who are there through thick and thin. But on the players. Many of them have achieved great things in their careers - Ashley Williams at the Euros - Palmer and Kalas have both been promoted from this division, we've just brought in three players with experience of the Prem....is it not likely that they simply see right through Lee Johnson? His faults are glaring. He tries to mask them with cockiness and a complex, opaque, language that baffles as many as it impresses, but we can all see them. How much more obvious must they be to experienced players?

7 hours ago, petehinton said:

Publicly calling out Wells/Henriksen/Benkovic As not being good enough after 3 games must be a record? Man management 101. Wells in particular must be delighted given all that service he gets....

Just what I was going to post. Remarkable, but not in any way surprising. It speaks volumes, and those that should be hearing this cannot go on much longer covering their ears and shouting "not listening!" Can they?

Lee lacks the personal qualities and the character that I would prioritise in selecting a manager/head coach. My first impression and awareness of a City manager was Terry Cooper, though. 

7 minutes ago, maxjak said:

Yeah that's all very well, but............we look great in training apparently?  Perhaps because in training, there is NO opposition?

Actually there is opposition. They are the 6 foot high coathangers that are then bent to look like an outline of a player. However, at the last training session with the first team, the coathangers equalised in the last minute.

3 minutes ago, Norn Iron said:

Actually there is opposition. They are the 6 foot high coathangers that are then bent to look like an outline of a player. However, at the last training session with the first team, the coathangers equalised in the last minute.

But, but, but, we were excellent in training!

9 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

But, but, but, we were excellent in training!

Still cannot believe he made such a stupid comment in that interview after the game!

There will be 3,4 or 5 changes again on Saturday to once again, demonstrate that he’s out of ideas and doesn’t know his best team/formation

1 hour ago, Red Exile said:

...and the vibe is more apathy than anger. We all know that LJ is living a charmed life. We could boo all we liked and SL would put his arm around poor Lee and blame us ungrateful know-nothings.

It's pathetic, not enraging. 

This is definitely where I’m at that’s for sure.  Anger passed about two seasons ago.  Now I just find it slightly sad/ annoying/ amusing / bewildering at various points. I’m trying the ‘dont get angry about something you can’t change’ approach! 

1 minute ago, lenred said:

This is definitely where I’m at that’s for sure.  Anger passed about two seasons ago.  Now I just find it slightly sad/ annoying/ amusing / bewildering at various points. I’m trying the ‘dont get angry about something you can’t change’ approach! 

yep - me too!

Renewed our season tickets and will get what I can out of matches...and if all that is on Saturday is a couple of pints and an afternoon out with my London-based son, so be it. 

8 minutes ago, lenred said:

I’m definitely at bewildered/amused at the moment. 

Its so much better than angry. More people should try it. 

1 minute ago, Red Exile said:

yep - me too!

Renewed our season tickets and will get what I can out of matches...and if all that is on Saturday is a couple of pints and an afternoon out with my London-based son, so be it. 

Exactly this. I’d still go whoever the manager, whatever the league, however we play -  and thousands of us are of a similar mind. It’s a chance to get away from it all for a while, and have a few beers with good mates.  Would be very nice if things improved but it’ll never stop us going if it doesn’t. Club know that though as well. 

15 minutes ago, Red Exile said:

I always appreciate your observations as you report from the front line of supporters who are there through thick and thin. But on the players. Many of them have achieved great things in their careers - Ashley Williams at the Euros - Palmer and Kalas have both been promoted from this division, we've just brought in three players with experience of the Prem....is it not likely that they simply see right through Lee Johnson? His faults are glaring. He tries to mask them with cockiness and a complex, opaque, language that baffles as many as it impresses, but we can all see them. How much more obvious must they be to experienced players?

I do totally agree with that. Maybe it is just something they are restricted in but why do so many seem not willing to show a bit of leadership or professional pride when out there. They played last night, and not for the first time, like they were total strangers. Our Captain was in goal, but there was no one taking charge and organising, encouraging or ordering. There is a hell of a lot of experience, but yet looked like we were playing with kids. It really was men against boys and Huddersfield weren’t the men that West Brom were. We should have done much better with what was on the pitch last night.

But yes, they probably allow all the Johnson grass measuring, buzz word spin to go over their heads. That said they must have known what they were coming into when they signed, as just about all of them are ‘his’ players now. I’m sure the players have their Agents suss us out before signing, and there must be industry gossip. Or is it purely all about the money we pay for some?

10 hours ago, AshtonGreat said:

I reckon he'll be fired tomorrow

I don't agree it will be tomorrow but I do wonder, after that interview, if it closer than some expect.

I suspect that, up until now, LJ has largely stayed in his role because he has been able to convince the board he has a plan and a vision and that he knows how to put mistakes right and get us higher up the table. And, to be fair, he has largely succeeded in doing that. There have been bad runs but then he has always managed to pull a decent run out at the end of it - for example, lots of us were getting frustrated at Christmas and then we went on a very good run of results up until the Leeds game.

At the moment, it really sounds like he does not know what the problem is or how to fix it. And if that is the case then, unless he works out the answers very quickly, he can only be on borrowed time. 

7 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

I don't agree it will be tomorrow but I do wonder, after that interview, if it closer than some expect.

I suspect that, up until now, LJ has largely stayed in his role because he has been able to convince the board he has a plan and a vision and that he knows how to put mistakes right and get us higher up the table. And, to be fair, he has largely succeeded in doing that. There have been bad runs but then he has always managed to pull a decent run out at the end of it - for example, lots of us were getting frustrated at Christmas and then we went on a very good run of results up until the Leeds game.

At the moment, it really sounds like he does not know what the problem is or how to fix it. And if that is the case then, unless he works out the answers very quickly, he can only be on borrowed time. 

I’ve opposed a knee-jerk reaction to defeats consistently, but I agree that we have to be seen to keep moving forward for the present management to justify their continuing tenure.  What’s telling for me are the comments here about the impression of Lee giving a sense of desperation.  We’ve seen that before with Ward, Johnson Snr and O’Driscoll and it does usually signify that the end is nigh.  I think Lansdown has forgiven Lee (and possibly Ashton too) significant errors in the past, but there has to be a limit to that.  Whether there would be any point in dispensing with Lee with only a few games of the season left is arguable, but if we cannot be sure that he will take us forward this season, then the change has to be made at the end of the season.

41 minutes ago, Loosey Boy said:

Still cannot believe he made such a stupid comment in that interview after the game!

There will be 3,4 or 5 changes again on Saturday to once again, demonstrate that he’s out of ideas and doesn’t know his best team/formation

If Watkins is back fit it will be Diedhiou and Watkins up top to try and match up physically. The more big name players we sign the less he can man manage them. Maybe because they know he talks rubbish, when they question him about tactics etc they're out of the team and players he say he can trust are back in 

2 minutes ago, Hampshire reds said:

get a new nan in now it might give us an upturn in form. might just get us into the playoffs. If not he can see what he has going into next season. i just feel we have wasted a great opportunity this season.  apart from west brom this is not a strong league . 

Good idea.  Anyone got a Nan who would fit the bill?  Sadly mine are no longer with us...

1 minute ago, paul_fox said:

If Watkins is back fit it will be Diedhiou and Watkins up top to try and match up physically. The more big name players we sign the less he can man manage them. Maybe because they know he talks rubbish, when they question him about tactics etc they're out of the team and players he say he can trust are back in 

What’s your evidence for this?  It’s not what I’ve heard...

3 hours ago, Top Robin said:

He has bought players he wanted and created his own squad. He has played each one in different positions with every shape possible in order to try and hit upon the one that works. Unfortunately for him everything he tries fails sonit is time for him to move on.

You simply cant have a manager who doesn't know his best players and shape and tinkers it every week in hope....that is clueless and shows a manager who lacks confidence and ability.

Not quite every shape possible.

Formations can be overdone but there is one shape he has not given any proper consideration to.

4-3-3. The ideal setup in this era or an ideal setup for passing and pressing- he has a total aversion to it for some reason, maybe we don't have the players...but I think we do, we have lots of options that could see us give this a proper go.

PS, when I say 4-3-3, Palmer as one of those three, or Paterson or even O'Dowda- any of them as part of the midfield 3 is NOT what I have in mind, from a balance and control POV. Maybe have any 3 of them as part of the front 3 or in Palmer's case a 4-3-1-2, he could be the '1' behind Weimann and Wells say but no LJ has not given any proper consideration to a genuine 4-3-3.

14 minutes ago, Hampshire reds said:

get a new nan in now it might give us an upturn in form. might just get us into the playoffs. If not he can see what he has going into next season. i just feel we have wasted a great opportunity this season.  apart from west brom this is not a strong league . 

I’m a nan so I’m happy to give it a go. I’ll do it for half of whatever Johnson is on! 

The only positive thing going for this particular post-match interview was it was more honest than any others. Others have highlighted the many negatives that it also included. 

Think it is significant mainly cos LJ has failed to be so honest previously with his habit of unrealistically talking things up. So when he fails to do this - as was mainly the case here - it shouts out somewhat.

7 hours ago, REDOXO said:

Your second sentence. 

Do you think that the majority shareholder views us as an over achieving mid table outfit with the massive investment that has been put in by him around Bar Bs3 and the multi millions spent on players.

LJ had one target set by the benefactor and that was improve our position...That did not mean 7th, that meant top six....I despair sometimes that people don’t hear what the bloke is saying. I have not lost sight of the fact SL expects improvement (top six finish) and I reckon he is pretty fed up after that! And he certainly does not see us as an over achieving mid table side....With an 8 million center back etc etc etc etc etc!

A very valid way of looking at it and no doubt you are right. 
I was talking from my expectations, rather than his. 

Last night was hugely disappointing. I had completely expected a reaction and a statement performance, that “ok, were not as good as the top 2 - but we are damn well good enough for top 6”

It didn’t happen and it wasn’t even close..! 

In some ways I can understand LJ's frustration, you have players who are internationals, with prem experienced or atleast a lot of championship experience and paid 20-30K per week and they can't even do some of the simple things, like pass the ball with pace to a teammate, run into a space to receive the ball, close down or track the opposition or even make the required effort, some of those so called professionals performance last night was a disgrace. Whilst you can rightly question selection (many on here were very happy prior to the game) or tactics / style of play, these top level professional athletes should be able to do the basics well without instruction and a large amount of blame and questions should be put on their shoulders.

Having in some way defended LJ, I was always of the opinion to give to the end of the year and see if we make the playoffs, or when looks unlikely you bring in the new manager to assess the squad over the last few games and build in the summer. The danger is we make a quick knee jerk reaction, bringing in someone new who may get the dead cat bounce (where does that saying come from?) and you then give them the job based on a few games.

Ashton is a football man who has SL's ear (so an amount of self preservation going on) and will already no doubt be having the discussions about looking to the future as LJ's tenure has perhaps run its course, so hopefully we are scouting for future manager possibilities, but want this to be a good long term appointment not a knee jerk one..

Archived