IGNORED

LJ - Post match comments

lenred

1 hour ago, sh1t_ref_again said:

In some ways I can understand LJ's frustration, you have players who are internationals, with prem experienced or atleast a lot of championship experience and paid 20-30K per week and they can't even do some of the simple things, like pass the ball with pace to a teammate, run into a space to receive the ball, close down or track the opposition or even make the required effort, some of those so called professionals performance last night was a 

Understandable outcome.

An outcome that can be predicted by the lack of keystone behaviours put in place by the Manager.

Last night performance was not shocking. It was a logical % down on previous games. The opponents having more of the ball, looking better on it, and looking more cohesive in elements of their play was a norm. 

1 hour ago, sh1t_ref_again said:

Whilst you can rightly question selection (many on here were very happy prior to the game) or tactics / style of play, these top level professional athletes should be able to do the basics well without instruction and a large amount of blame and questions should be put on their shoulders.

Why do you think Mr Johnsons players lose the ability to do the basics? How about simple confidence and nerves

Look at the instruction e.g. Lee Johnsons players who do not have high abilities on the ball asked to build from the back.

The midfield. Changed again. The team shape change after change. Training cannot be consistent. This is an unusual (?) way to build confidence!

This environment creates basic errors and as players lose faith in their leaders instruction, the football, themselves error becomes cyclic.

Superhumans would be needed not to be affected by the amount of change Mr Johnson applies to his teams football. 

h/t @petehinton for alerting to this post-match back and forth with Gregor McGregor. It's remarkable.

Did you see that as a tactical problem in the first half - or more the players at fault?

You tell me. What do you think?

In my analysis, they didn't seem to be able to get out of their half, could they? Would you agree with that?

Why was that? I'm having a genuine conversation with you here. I agree with you, by the way. So we're starting off at the point where we're agreeing with each other.

I'm not here to say whether LJ is right or wrong in his view of the game yesterday, I just find the whole conversation utterly crass, his implied message is very obvious and is an utterly loathsome one. 

This sort of attitude, combined with the latest public outing (this time his new signings) is simply not the behaviour of a leader. A manager should be ready to invite blame and own it, not act like this.

As a minimum a team should win AND lose as a team. This exchange above couldn't be further away from "losing as a team", it's "us and them" with his team, who ever met a good manager like that? 

By the way, LJ certainly seems to enjoy winning as a team and as an individual, as his "bouncing around the ground" shows. Sadly in both his actions and words he doesn't believe in losing as a team.

3 minutes ago, Olé said:

h/t @petehinton for alerting to this post-match back and forth with Gregor McGregor. It's remarkable.

I'm not here to say whether LJ is right or wrong in his view of the game yesterday, I just find the whole conversation utterly crass, his implied message is very obvious and is an utterly loathsome one. 

This sort of attitude, combined with the latest public outing (this time his new signings) is simply not the behaviour of a leader. A manager should be ready to invite blame and own it, not act like this.

As a minimum a team should win AND lose as a team. This exchange above couldn't be further away from "losing as a team", it's "us and them" with his team, who ever met a good manager like that? 

By the way, LJ certainly seems to enjoy winning as a team and as an individual, as his "bouncing around the ground" shows. Sadly in both his actions and words he doesn't believe in losing as a team.

Ran of of likes.

As I said earlier, not the traits of a leader, and have been apparent for a long time.

5 minutes ago, Olé said:

Sorry i'm a bit slow today. What's the implied message?

8 minutes ago, Olé said:

Wow just reading the full transcript now. I'm not one for hyperbole but based on this, things are bad. Amazed at some of those answers. He didn't even realise it was Diedhiou that scored?!

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/full-lee-johnson-transcript-bristol-3888206

5 minutes ago, Olé said:

It’s always been this way with him. He should be taking full responsibility to the outside media noise. That’s what good managers do - in football and in normal working life - shield their team from criticism on the outside and then deal with them as necessary behind closed doors. But he just can’t.  It’s proven time and time again. He’s the very opposite of a good man manager.  He’s completely gutless in his consistent lack of taking any responsibility whatsoever.  Not coming on the pitch after defeats is just another small but very obvious example of it. 

With regards to him throwing players under the bus, it's a disgraceful way to  go about management.  Almost all successful managers in any field  that I know of gain respect, results and loyalty by backing their chosen people (and let's be honest all of these players are LJ's/MA's chosen people) they believe in them because they have recruited them, analyzed them, assessed their strengths and weaknesses and areas for improvement and actively  worked on them and instilled their ethos, integrity, decision-making etc.

Throwing people under the bus is a coward's way of management and manifests a lack of faith and loyalty.

Let's be quite clear about this it's not a new trait by any means, he showed his hand very early when publicly slaughtering Magnuson after a game.

Also if you look at the evidence you will find that the people that speak most highly of him are the ones that have moved on and furthered their careers! no surprise there then.

It's as though the penny hasn't dropped that Steve L has been stubbornly loyal to LJ it's a shame that he couldn't do the same with his players

16 minutes ago, lenred said:

It’s always been this way with him. He should be taking full responsibility to the outside media noise. That’s what good managers do - in football and in normal working life - shield their team from criticism on the outside and then deal with them as necessary behind closed doors. But he just can’t.  It’s proven time and time again. He’s the very opposite of a good man manager.  He’s completely gutless in his consistent lack of taking any responsibility whatsoever.  Not coming on the pitch after defeats is just another small but very obvious example of it. 

Just realised we've pretty much just said the same thing but yours was more eloquent and concise

4 hours ago, Redrascal2 said:

Johnson has never been as upset since he has been here. He should be used to it by now. The same pattern every year. Fall away and bottle it. Whenever a Johnson team gets to the business end of the season when there is a lot riding on each game and we need a result we simply don't turn up. Leaderless with no fight or resilience. How he can be paid to do this year after year. I can handle being out played but out fought no. We now truly have a team in Johnson's image. 

Ain't that the truth and been so since his infamous '3 windows' speech; how many windows has he had now? Of course, we have to consider all of those players that have been sold and I do absolutely get it takes time to bed new players in but as many others have said the blame game is not the right way to manage and then, last night, for the first time a 'I do not understand' comment comes into play. It is bewilderment by Johnson that he cannot get it right, he cannot play entertaining football after about 7 windows is it now? And we are all bewildered, beyond anger as others have said, with him still knocking around talking about identity. Sounds distinctly like a Mark Ashton spin not least because we are yet to be told what exactly that identity is. Is it some secret code between the powers that be and thrust into any microphone that appears for our mutual 'enjoyment'. That in itself is disingenuous because of course it is to our utter bewilderment. What i would like to know is did we ever have this 'identity'? I would like Johnson to tell us what exactly he is referring to and not keep us all in the dark like sheep to a trough. Perhaps he will, let's wait and see.

4 hours ago, Fordy62 said:

But, but, but, we were excellent in training!

Speechless with this.

3 hours ago, Loosey Boy said:

Still cannot believe he made such a stupid comment in that interview after the game!

There will be 3,4 or 5 changes again on Saturday to once again, demonstrate that he’s out of ideas and doesn’t know his best team/formation

Just speechless.

3 hours ago, Fordy62 said:

I’m definitely at bewildered/amused at the moment. 

Its so much better than angry. More people should try it. 

I am there, with youz. its bizarre!

39 minutes ago, Olé said:

Hope he has a nice weekend then is all i can say.

4 hours ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

Just what I was going to post. Remarkable, but not in any way surprising. It speaks volumes, and those that should be hearing this cannot go on much longer covering their ears and shouting "not listening!" Can they?

Lee lacks the personal qualities and the character that I would prioritise in selecting a manager/head coach. My first impression and awareness of a City manager was Terry Cooper, though. 

Out of interest, what would those personal qualities and character traits be?

To be honest I can never make up my mind about LJ. The inconsistency is there for everyone to see and even the biggest LJ fans can see that our form just isn’t good enough. He over thinks thing pick a starting 11 and formation and stick with it. I personally feel end of season get rid of him and bring more experience in with a manager that gets the best from players and to buy a new midfield 

Interesting that while Benkovic was being substituted at Huddersfield...............Taylor Moore was awarded Man of the Match for Blackpool (Yeah I know it's a Lower standard)  But I happen to think the 22 year old is a class act, who would have made more of a contribution than some of the over rated rabble that represented Bristol City last night?

3 minutes ago, petehinton said:

That was after he said 'the new players need to look at themselves', wasnt it? I also find it really worrying that LJ's reaction to Wells' struggles is 'bless him' btw....

No, he said "a couple of the new players..." 

Fairly obvious he was referring to Benkovic and Henriksen who were withdrawn at HT.

11 minutes ago, petehinton said:

That was after he said 'the new players need to look at themselves', wasnt it? I also find it really worrying that LJ's reaction to Wells' struggles is 'bless him' btw....

I think the interview is very telling and cause for concern.. but in his defence, 'bless him' is just something he says. I've heard him say that plenty of times before.

14 hours ago, E.G.Red said:

He needs to go back to worldclass basics. He’s stubborn, and he’s undone all his good work from previous seasons . Players out on loan should be playing for us instead he’s got named players from elsewhere who are good individually but not as a team. Maybe the fans have contributed to that by wanting these ‘stars’ but are they better than what we had? It will be interesting the team he puts out on Saturday. 

fixed that for you

25 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Out of interest, what would those personal qualities and character traits be?

Barnsley stuck by him when he went on a long losing run and their crowd were beginning to howl, then he cleared off to us mid season as they were recovering. So, the qualities of a bloke that returns that loyalty and sees the job through, at least until the end of the season. When we appointed him he had one full season - summer transfer window through to May - to his name.

The opposite of an opportunist, whatever that is. But in his defence, football is awash with shysters like this. 

Humility. Someone that, even when they have achieved something, are reluctant to talk themselves up. Think Bobby Robson.

Plain speaking. Not talking down, but not talking bullshit and jargon either. Think Shankly, a man in tune with his people (supporters). 

Broad shoulders. Publicly taking responsibility and not blaming others or absolving himself of culpability. Have a go at the players in the dressing room but not into a microphone. All this is much easier to do when you have tangible success to your name such as promotions, and can be sure of your methods and the likelihood of future work at the same level or higher even if the current job ends badly.

Grit. The sort of fellow you might not necessarily like but you are going to respect. Giggling is not for me (in a football manager).

I cannot get away from pre-Premier League era ideal of the West of Scotland mining community pit or shipyard worker to player to manager, Shankly/Busby/Stein/Ferguson. Or the decency of a Bobby Robson/John Lyall/Joe Royle/Terry Cooper. Not LJ's fault he's from Cambridge and is the equivalent of a modern politician who has never had another job and enjoyed a helping hand into his current lofty position. Lee is more Malcolm Allison (minus the success/medals) or some other London gobshite manager than a fellow that has emerged from adversity and knows in his bones what it takes to be a leader of men.

I don't know the bloke, but this is my perception, based on his public utterances (and one or two insiders insights). My guess is some players don't "fancy" Lee either. 

It's a gut thing. All these coaches have done the same badges, courses, visits to such and such. It's what sort of bloke you think he is as you shake his hand and look him in the eye, and that's where you listen to your gut (interview on a half-full stomach).

Still, we win Saturday, and it's all back on again! And full steam ahead to do or die v Preston at home. 

39 minutes ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

Barnsley stuck by him when he went on a long losing run and their crowd were beginning to howl, then he cleared off to us mid season as they were recovering. So, the qualities of a bloke that returns that loyalty and sees the job through, at least until the end of the season. When we appointed him he had one full season - summer transfer window through to May - to his name.

The opposite of an opportunist, whatever that is. But in his defence, football is awash with shysters like this. 

Humility. Someone that, even when they have achieved something, are reluctant to talk themselves up. Think Bobby Robson.

Plain speaking. Not talking down, but not talking bullshit and jargon either. Think Shankly, a man in tune with his people (supporters). 

Broad shoulders. Publicly taking responsibility and not blaming others or absolving himself of culpability. Have a go at the players in the dressing room but not into a microphone. All this is much easier to do when you have tangible success to your name such as promotions, and can be sure of your methods and the likelihood of future work at the same level or higher even if the current job ends badly.

Grit. The sort of fellow you might not necessarily like but you are going to respect. Giggling is not for me (in a football manager).

I cannot get away from pre-Premier League era ideal of the West of Scotland mining community pit or shipyard worker to player to manager, Shankly/Busby/Stein/Ferguson. Or the decency of a Bobby Robson/John Lyall/Joe Royle/Terry Cooper. Not LJ's fault he's from Cambridge and is the equivalent of a modern politician who has never had another job and enjoyed a helping hand into his current lofty position. Lee is more Malcolm Allison (minus the success/medals) or some other London gobshite manager than a fellow that has emerged from adversity and knows in his bones what it takes to be a leader of men.

I don't know the bloke, but this is my perception, based on his public utterances (and one or two insiders insights). My guess is some players don't "fancy" Lee either. 

It's a gut thing. All these coaches have done the same badges, courses, visits to such and such. It's what sort of bloke you think he is as you shake his hand and look him in the eye, and that's where you listen to your gut (interview on a half-full stomach).

Still, we win Saturday, and it's all back on again! And full steam ahead to do or die v Preston at home. 

Personally think hes a classic narcissist.  Flatters to deceive initially then over time you can see right through the bluster and bs. 

The seasoned pros at the club must be able to notice that.  Think it was one of the 2 new lads benkovik or henricksen that said hes the most tactical manager hes worked with. Maybe far to many tactics and not enough answers to the failings in the group

2 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Sorry i'm a bit slow today. What's the implied message?

'The players are to a man failing to execute my instructions. My instructions are all brilliant and no fault should ever be attached to them, it is all the players who are to blame, not me. Hint hint. Players not me. Hint hint.'

2 hours ago, Olé said:

'The players are to a man failing to execute my instructions. My instructions are all brilliant and no fault should ever be attached to them, it is all the players who are to blame, not me. Hint hint. Players not me. Hint hint.'

Slightly harsh. 

Written down the conversation doesn’t look great.  Seems confrontational but might not be.  I’ve not heard it yet. Tone is very important and I think everyone should reserve judgment until they’ve heard it. 

If people have heard it and it’s still bad then fair enough. It will mean he is panicking internally. 

Shocked by Lee's post-match conference comments, very much felt like his "O'Driscoll moment" on Radio Bristol, and a finalising move during endgame. The clip also raised some additional thoughts:

1) Club PR - it's obvious, yet damning, that the club elected not to release this audio as usual. There must be real embarrassment of LJ's public self-destruction this week.

2) Dressing room dynamic - regardless of any player rumours, put yourself in MacGregor's shoes, or any player in this this conversation. It's a complete turn-off. How can anyone root for this man "manager", antagonistic, and arrogant going forward? It helps me understand the disregard and discontent we're currently seeing on the pitch.

3) Whistleblowing/Korey Smith - I look to the team, and struggle to thinking of a player with sufficient "credit" who could comfortably flag and convincingly sway the board to change course, only maybe Korey, who is in the awkward position of being LJ's favourite and being injected for a fast-track return against Millwall.

9 hours ago, Olé said:

Agree with this, it’s very odd. Also listening to the audio, he still can’t/won’t pronounce Nagy’s surname correctly. Imagine managing 30 odd people and not knowing how to pronounce a (very simple) surname. Given he’s already called Nagy out for having the temerity to want to play for his country, and given suggestions of struggles to settle into Bristol this just smacks of lazy man management.

2 hours ago, Red Zeppelin said:

Shocked by Lee's post-match conference comments, very much felt like his "O'Driscoll moment" on Radio Bristol, and a finalising move during endgame. The clip also raised some additional thoughts:

1) Club PR - it's obvious, yet damning, that the club elected not to release this audio as usual. There must be real embarrassment of LJ's public self-destruction this week.

They tweeted, and then immediately deleted, something this afternoon saying something like ‘honesty from Lee Johnson after last night’s defeat.’ Presume that may have been the audio and they quickly thought better of it

Archived