IGNORED

LJ - Post match comments

lenred

12 hours ago, LondonBristolian said:

I don't agree it will be tomorrow but I do wonder, after that interview, if it closer than some expect.

I suspect that, up until now, LJ has largely stayed in his role because he has been able to convince the board he has a plan and a vision and that he knows how to put mistakes right and get us higher up the table. And, to be fair, he has largely succeeded in doing that. There have been bad runs but then he has always managed to pull a decent run out at the end of it - for example, lots of us were getting frustrated at Christmas and then we went on a very good run of results up until the Leeds game.

At the moment, it really sounds like he does not know what the problem is or how to fix it. And if that is the case then, unless he works out the answers very quickly, he can only be on borrowed time. 

I don’t think he’s bombproof after that interview last night.

11 hours ago, sh1t_ref_again said:

In some ways I can understand LJ's frustration, you have players who are internationals, with prem experienced or atleast a lot of championship experience and paid 20-30K per week and they can't even do some of the simple things, like pass the ball with pace to a teammate, run into a space to receive the ball, close down or track the opposition or even make the required effort, some of those so called professionals performance last night was a disgrace. Whilst you can rightly question selection (many on here were very happy prior to the game) or tactics / style of play, these top level professional athletes should be able to do the basics well without instruction and a large amount of blame and questions should be put on their shoulders.

Yes, you are right.  They should be able to do this instinctively.  Why aren’t they then?  Being instructed to do something different to what would be their natural game / natural instinct, everything they’ve been coached to do everywhere else.  I’m not saying that is the case, but it certainly makes me wonder.  When you see players regressing technically, it’s a worry.  It’s almost like they are trying to think about a precise instruction (amongst many) rather than focus on doing what made them good players in the first place.

Having in some way defended LJ, I was always of the opinion to give to the end of the year and see if we make the playoffs, or when looks unlikely you bring in the new manager to assess the squad over the last few games and build in the summer. The danger is we make a quick knee jerk reaction, bringing in someone new who may get the dead cat bounce (where does that saying come from?) and you then give them the job based on a few games.

If we do replace during this season, it has to be right choice there and then....or it is a definite caretaker.  If you think Macca is the right man, just effin’ appoint him, don’t make him caretaker.  If he’s not the right man, spell it out.  Leadership Steve!!

Ashton is a football man who has SL's ear (so an amount of self preservation going on) and will already no doubt be having the discussions about looking to the future as LJ's tenure has perhaps run its course, so hopefully we are scouting for future manager possibilities, but want this to be a good long term appointment not a knee jerk one..

14 hours ago, Olé said:

Well put - OTIB is hampered with cry wolf syndrome, in that some people will go on about LJ out every week, so that the tone on here is assumed to be knee jerk and inaccurate - and as such when it really is setting the tone of supporters at games it tends to get lost in the noise.

But yesterday the rational loyal seen-it-all-before people who trudge to every away game were angry and there wasn't much defence of the manager. Positive people were negative and moderate people were furious. It really has few parallels in terms of the anger of an average supporter bar the 5-0 at Preston. The last thing either is, is knee jerk, they are both bottom of the barrel, end of the road performances, and as after Preston, the lot of them need to decide if they want to turn it round or not.

I also immediately thought of the 5-0 at Preston in 2017 last night. I thought we were doomed after that. But we then won 4 and drew 1 in the rest of that month (April) and survived. We need a similar turning point and I’m hoping yesterday was it. If LJ needs to turn to the players he “trusts’ like he did after Preston, then so be it. Although I do have a concern that there may not be enough of them still at the club and the ones who are may be injured (eg Korey). 

12 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

A very valid way of looking at it and no doubt you are right. 
I was talking from my expectations, rather than his. 

Last night was hugely disappointing. I had completely expected a reaction and a statement performance, that “ok, were not as good as the top 2 - but we are damn well good enough for top 6”

It didn’t happen and it wasn’t even close..! 

I’m intrigued to know why you thought there would be some kind of reaction, because when was the last time we actually played well and controlled a game?. I don’t think this team and manager are capable of reacting when they ‘just’ feel like it. 

On 25/02/2020 at 22:58, milo1111 said:

What a ridiculous thing to come out with. Clearly has absolutely no idea how to man manage. Fair enough if you have had a player for a few seasons and they aren’t pulling their weight, but to say that after they’ve only had a few games for us is just plain stupid.

A bad workman always blames his tools and this workman (coach) is really bad

It's clear they don't believe in him. Why would they?

Archived