IGNORED

Does anyone actually believe?

tunnie12345

I know people hate the LJ bashing threads but I am just curious. Do any of the LJ supporters honestly think we are going to get promoted under him? 

No arguments needed but just would like some  honest answers? 

Off the field we are moving forward so much but the football club at the moment feels so distant from the fans. The talk about year on year progression is rubbish. 4 years to move up 10 places?  Bournemouth near enough climbed the whole football pyramid in that time! 

We've always run out of steam come January and said we needed to bolster in quality which we never have. Up until now. 

This is LJ's real test. He's got what hes wanted and if he can't do it this season then I will always believe the answer is no. Unless we pump an even more ridiculous amount of money into the team causing the league to fall into his lap my opinion on that won't change quickly.

9 minutes ago, Hampshire Red said:

1 chance in 10 this season  as no one else good enough to guarantee that 6th place which makes it a 1 in 4 chance to get promoted. 

Next season if our new signings do well we'll have a top forward line (Afobe, Fam, Wells)  capable goalie, defence and plenty in midfield, so... maybe. 

The issue is they can play however they want but if Johnson Bulls**t tactics don't change then it won't matter how well they play. 

Palmer is a great example, you don't have a player like him and try and drill him to think to much etc. He should be told to get the ball and make something magic happen. 

This season the championship is awful. Johnson is very lucky this is the case as if it was decent this year we would be about 18/19th

In a word...no.

Belief is something that can be tested - I believe the sun will rise tomorrow. I believe that if managing a club in the second tier of English football Neil Warnock has a fair chance of get them promoted. I believe that Nahki Wells can score goals at this level. I can point to evidence. On that basis whether or not Lee Johnson can get a side promoted to the Premier League is more a matter of faith. Lots of OTIB members have had faith - and retain faith - that LJ can do it. I don't see any reason to believe that he will.

1 hour ago, tunnie12345 said:

Do any of the LJ supporters honestly think we are going to get promoted under him? 

Some really do believe.

For me I can't see Lee being moved on untill at least the end of next season ?

At which point,,if we could get him I'd bring in Steve Clarke..he can handle senior players, wouldn't take any messing & the guy can coach..........     although he may just be too much of a grown-up for SL to contemplate!

4 minutes ago, Robert the bruce said:

Some really do believe.

None of them ever state why they believe this tho. All we hear about is the cup run and year on year progression. The latter us utter tosh and there is no way we have progressed at all as a team from 2 years ago.

The only reason we are not 18/19th is because the league is awful this year and there are some awful teams in it. If anything the gap between the club and supporters has doubled since then. 

Lee can literally add nothing too his CV from his time here except beating united. Left a championship team to come to another, 4 years later still in the championship with not even a playoff season under his belt. 

1 hour ago, Super said:

We will never get promoted with a manager that doesn't know his best team or formation. I like LJ he comes across as a decent bloke but it's never gonna happen for him here.

Interested to learn what makes you think he comes across as a decent bloke ? not trying to be funny, iirs a genuine question.

He appears to avoid taking any responsibility and regularly names and shames players which to me makes himn anything but decent.

That isn't a nice trait in a football coach who hasn't actually acheived anything, and must be divisive.

I know where he got that from incidentally, so maybe not his fault.

I'm not an LJ supporter so won't answer the OP but was just intrigued because I have seen this written plenty of times previously.

6 minutes ago, Shtanley said:

We're three points off the playoffs having just lost 3 in a row. I don't see why we can't finish top six. We're three points from Brentford and Preston, two teams we are meant to be in awe of.

Granted. There’s absolutely no reason why we can’t. But do you think we will?

Not this season. But maybe next. Sell Nic for 15mil (not sure he fits our system/ethos/whatever). Then go:

Bentley - New RB, Moore, Kalas, Baker, Jay - Nagy, Smith - Palmer - Wells, Afobe.

Bench - Niki, Hunt, Williams or new CB, HNM, Morrell, Szmodics, Diedhiou.

WIN THE LEAGUE. 

1 hour ago, tunnie12345 said:

I know people hate the LJ bashing threads but I am just curious. Do any of the LJ supporters honestly think we are going to get promoted under him? 

No arguments needed but just would like some  honest answers? 

Off the field we are moving forward so much but the football club at the moment feels so distant from the fans. The talk about year on year progression is rubbish. 4 years to move up 10 places?  Bournemouth near enough climbed the whole football pyramid in that time! 

I believed until last night. I still stand by avoiding a knee jerk sacking and only replacing him with someone better (ie I would like to think the club make a well thought out decision on his replacement) not just give it JMc

I believed after January when we saw what looked like a really ambitious transfer window and one of the best i can remember (on paper)

I wrote off Leeds & West Brom as "anything is better than nothing" but expected zero points, I could handle that. Last night though was something else, that was so much worse than the previous 2 games or anything I've seen from a City side. I've seen us play better than that in our relegation seasons!

I still like LJ, I still think he's done a great job here turning us into an established Championship side which in my lifetime is only something his Dad has managed before him. Though I dont think he has whatever it takes to get us that bit more consistent. If we were ever going to get a playoff place under him then it has to be this year as I've never known it so tight at the top in that we can lose 4 out of 5 and still only be 3 points off.

I'd love to see some ambition in the summer and go and get someone in with some Championship experience or someone that at least has a record of getting promoted. I realise there's no guarantee it would work but I think it would be a waste of an expensive and talented (on paper - maybe experienced is a better term) squad to not back that up with a quality manager.

13 minutes ago, Shtanley said:

We're three points off the playoffs having just lost 3 in a row. I don't see why we can't finish top six. We're three points from Brentford and Preston, two teams we are meant to be in awe of.

We have been poor against Derby, Leeds, WBA and now Huddersfield. Last night, until the goal, we looked lost. At the end I felt sorry for them. They're down like the fans. What do we do?

26 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

Also my opinion. Four wasted years?

It's possible. Who were those "you'd be surprised who is interested" Ashton referred to on local radio four years ago post Cotterill, before SL reeled him in, and sent him off to "interview" LJ?

What might they have done in this time? With this club, in this rude good health? And this very open division? 

It could've been worse, yes; it could've been about the same, yes; but it could've been better, too.

As well as LJ has done, lifting us from 20th to 7th, we will never know for sure if this was as good as could be expected, or a wasted opportunity. 

Not sure it matters whether people believe or not tbh.

We definitely still have a really good chance of the play offs this season even despite recent form and looking shaky for a lot of the season.

People didn't believe LJ would keep us up initially, then they didn't think he'd keep us up again.  Then he wouldn't take us anywhere near the play offs.  Now he won't take us into the play offs.  People have been questioning him for 4 years but so far he's always surpassed expectation and made progress.  That shouldn't be forgotten no matter how poor we look at times.

Now obviously the question of "progress" this season looks like it may well be halted this year, but at least give the guy a chance to finish his work this season and see.  Nobody knows what's gonna happen so I don't know why so many always assume the worst.

Archived