IGNORED

Does anyone actually believe?

tunnie12345

1 hour ago, Sturny said:

We've always run out of steam come January and said we needed to bolster in quality which we never have. Up until now. 

This is LJ's real test. He's got what hes wanted and if he can't do it this season then I will always believe the answer is no. Unless we pump an even more ridiculous amount of money into the team causing the league to fall into his lap my opinion on that won't change quickly.

The thing is 2 seasons ago when we ran out of steam, we were playing high energy, high pressing, attempting slick quick passing attacking football. It was overall an enjoyable season and for a few months some of the football was superb (Man City, Man U along with League games). We are a shadow of that team with better individual players all over the pitch. If we would have stuck to that "identity" and tweaked it we could now be a right force. 

1 hour ago, Redstart said:

Sorry to say I think he is over coaching all the talent and natural flair out of our players - we are looking more humdrum by the day.

10000%

Massengos first couple of games he was actually shouting at his "elders" to get forward and seemed to be looking for forward passes all the time (everyone thought, wow what a player we have signed here). Fast forward to now when he gets on the pitch, and his game is now shield the ball and pass backwards and sideways, and if he gets caught out then he's dropped again. Everyone else looks completely lost/clueless and like they have just met each other for the first time. Non stop team changes/tactics/gameplan etc etc.

But still "we are 7th so it is massive improvement" we keep getting told.....

2 minutes ago, wood_red said:

The thing is 2 seasons ago when we ran out of steam, we were playing high energy, high pressing, attempting slick quick passing attacking football. It was overall an enjoyable season and for a few months some of the football was superb (Man City, Man U along with League games). We are a shadow of that team with better individual players all over the pitch. If we would have stuck to that "identity" and tweaked it we could now be a right force. 

10000%

Massengos first couple of games he was actually shouting at his "elders" to get forward and seemed to be looking for forward passes all the time (everyone thought, wow what a player we have signed here). Fast forward to now when he gets on the pitch, and his game is now shield the ball and pass backwards and sideways, and if he gets caught out then he's dropped again. Everyone else looks completely lost/clueless and like they have just met each other for the first time. Non stop team changes/tactics/gameplan etc etc.

But still "we are 7th so it is massive improvement" we keep getting told.....

Totally agree. That was when the squad felt a lot smaller and LJ has plenty less to think about and over complicate things 

10 minutes ago, Roe said:

Not sure it matters whether people believe or not tbh.

We definitely still have a really good chance of the play offs this season even despite recent form and looking shaky for a lot of the season.

People didn't believe LJ would keep us up initially, then they didn't think he'd keep us up again.  Then he wouldn't take us anywhere near the play offs.  Now he won't take us into the play offs.  People have been questioning him for 4 years but so far he's always surpassed expectation and made progress.  That shouldn't be forgotten no matter how poor we look at times.

Now obviously the question of "progress" this season looks like it may well be halted this year, but at least give the guy a chance to finish his work this season and see.  Nobody knows what's gonna happen so I don't know why so many always assume the worst.

I don't feel we owe Johnson anything. Football has no loyalty, if anyone was massively in credit with the club and fans its was Cotts and he was given no loyalty points by the club or the fans. Yes Lee has kept us up and stableised us now he can't do any more so we move on and "go again" with someone new! 

1 minute ago, Sturny said:

Totally agree. That was when the squad felt a lot smaller and LJ has plenty less to think about and over complicate things 

Exactly, everyone seemed to know their job and where everyone else was on the pitch. The small squad probably did kill us for the season and probably too much energy used by them all every single game, but that should have been our "identity" for the following seasons with an upgrade here and there with a few tweaks here and there, and any changes then just slot in. You have no chance to play as a cohesive team if you chop and change by the week.

Wells must be wondering why he came here, beofre long like Fammy he will be getting slated for not scoring enough goals even though he will have hardly any service.

Haven't believed that we will go up for a long time. Ever since I started looking at the underlying stats from our games at the end of 17/18 season. Even when we won 9 in a row this time last year it never really looked like we could make it stick.

Haven't believed at any point this season. 

I still like the head coach and respect for turning us into a solid top half Championship team. I'd keep him for now as there's so much invested in him and I'd question whether the turmoil of change was worth it. We may yet fluke our way to 6th and then...well then who knows.

3 minutes ago, Roe said:

But you don't know that.

You could say that about anything. Like we don't know Cotts could have kept us up and got promoted again. If people are happy with progression meaning money being pumped into theclub in the last 4 years and moving up 10 places while playing some of the worst football I have seen then so be it. I am not happy with it tho! 

2 hours ago, Fordy62 said:

Here’s a list of things I believe in more than Lee Johnson:

1. for every drop of rain that falls, a flower grows. 

2. Life after love. 

3. Father Christmas. 

4. I can fly.

5. In miracles, you sexy thing.

6. Angels, something good in everything I see.

7. The Police are all decent people. ?

2 hours ago, tunnie12345 said:

I know people hate the LJ bashing threads but I am just curious. Do any of the LJ supporters honestly think we are going to get promoted under him? 

No arguments needed but just would like some  honest answers? 

Off the field we are moving forward so much but the football club at the moment feels so distant from the fans. The talk about year on year progression is rubbish. 4 years to move up 10 places?  Bournemouth near enough climbed the whole football pyramid in that time! 

No.

Even if by some small miracle we do actually finish 6th, it seems incredibly unlikely we would see off any of the teams above us over two legs, and then beat another one at Wembley.

We, rightly, see the play offs as the target for this season - but really what’s the point if your chances of actually winning them are so small.

8 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

No.

Even if by some small miracle we do actually finish 6th, it seems incredibly unlikely we would see off any of the teams above us over two legs, and then beat another one at Wembley.

We, rightly, see the play offs as the target for this season - but really what’s the point if your chances of actually winning them are so small.

Its unlikely but not impossible to go up, if by some miracle we did make the play offs. They can be a bit of a crap shoot although becoming less so granted.  What would be far more worrying would be if we went up. As it stands we would get completely demolished week in, week out imho. Could do more harm than good shirt to medium term.  Look at Cardiff. We need to go up on solid foundations if and when we ever do, and LJ just cannot provide that  

I believe. Believe we will finish closer to 12th than 6th. The performances have been telling us we aren’t very good just more talented than 12-14 sides in the league. Individuals have been earning us points not any kind of tactics. Last night was a great example. Formation changed but play was very similar to first half. Difference was we put one of our best creators on and put an extra midfielder in there. The talent drew us one back in the end even if a scruffy goal. 

No.

How many teams in the history of football have been successful over a season when they change shape and selection so often particularly at the back?  I think you could probably count on one hand for this.

I would be happy enough with 7th this season if I thought that there was the prospect of going one better next season, but I no longer do.

2 hours ago, Fordy62 said:

Here’s a list of things I believe in more than Lee Johnson:

1. for every drop of rain that falls, a flower grows. 

2. Life after love. 

3. Father Christmas. 

4. I can fly.

5. In miracles, you sexy thing.

6. Angels, something good in everything I see.

# …. someone in the grate somewhere hears every word '' 

fireplace_fire_burn_warm_log_open_fire-772252.jpg

(misheard/understood that lyric for years from childhood.. :laugh: ?)

58 minutes ago, tunnie12345 said:

I don't feel we owe Johnson anything. Football has no loyalty, if anyone was massively in credit with the club and fans its was Cotts and he was given no loyalty points by the club or the fans. Yes Lee has kept us up and stableised us now he can't do any more so we move on and "go again" with someone new! 

Precisely.

The club is constantly looking to upgrade on the playing and facilities side, so why not coaches ?

I think the scouting needs to be looked at too.

49 minutes ago, lenred said:

Its unlikely but not impossible to go up, if by some miracle we did make the play offs. They can be a bit of a crap shoot although becoming less so granted.  What would be far more worrying would be if we went up. As it stands we would get completely demolished week in, week out imho. Could do more harm than good shirt to medium term.  Look at Cardiff. We need to go up on solid foundations if and when we ever do, and LJ just cannot provide that  

This.... We are not ready to go up. I couldnt care less about getting to play the big teams for a year. We would get orn to shreds.. How long has it taken derby to recover from their embarrassing season up there... 

Archived