IGNORED

Nowhere near our standards/I’m as upset as I’ve been......

La Plage

Try watching from the stands then, for the rest of us that are obviously not professional coaches have been seeing this unorganised chaos for months.

Let’s not forget we have won 2 games against the current top 10 opposition sides in that league!!! And to be fair both could have easily been different if the opposition took a fraction of the chances they had!!

recent wins against the bottom 3 sides, a QPR side that we had just robbed their 17 goal top striker (again scraping a 0-1 day light robbery result) after clinging on for dear life and Wayne Rooneys Derby, who again were the much better team and almost drew/won when battering us at the end.

if we are actually stuck with you LJ as most think, at least be honest with us and stop all the BS!!!

SWALLOW YOUR PRIDE AND GET SOME HELP, GET A DECENT MORE EXPERINENCED ASSISTANT WHO ACTUALLY HAS THE KNOWLEDGE OF SETTING UP A TEAM THE RIGHT WAY AND IS ABLE TO INFLUENCE AND CHANGE A GAME THROUGH TACTICS AND SUBSTITUTIONS. PLAY PLAYERS IN THIER RIGHT POSITION AND PLAY TO A SYSTEM/STYLE THAT SUITS YOUR TEAMS ABILITY AND PLAYERS RATHER THAN CHANGING IT BLINDLY EVERY WEEK AND BLAMING THE 50 ODD PLAYERS YOU HAVE BOUGHT.

Not sure it needed the CAPITALS but this is where I've been for a long time. I like LJ and think he'll be a success at some point and have no doubt he does want the best for our club and has some very good ideas he is trying to implement... but the biggest problem is it has always been all about LJ rather than City. If it was about Bristol City he would have experience and mentoring around him like every other young coach or every other young manager in any other line of business, because that is what is right for the club, more than it is LJ's ego.

He hasn't had that because he clearly does not want it or does not believe he needs it and SL clearly is prepared to indulge him rather than upset him. There is too much ego in play here for LJ, anyone who thinks otherwise I will provide a long list, he has all the traits of someone whose primary leadership flaw is an inflated ego and an insecurity that materialises in cowardice and self preservation. It's very common.

The right thing has always been to give him experienced support whether or not he feels threatened by it. It's not only the right thing, it would represent only a small compromise for LJ who at several times has been lucky not to simply lose his job.

And yet here we are and still he is allowed to plough on and get away without all the benefit of experience, for the sake of his ego. He is a committed servant to our club but I'll say it again, it's always been about LJ first and Bristol City second.

2 hours ago, Olé said:

Not sure it needed the CAPITALS but this is where I've been for a long time. I like LJ and think he'll be a success at some point and have no doubt he does want the best for our club and has some very good ideas he is trying to implement... but the biggest problem is it has always been all about LJ rather than City. If it was about Bristol City he would have experience and mentoring around him like every other young coach or every other young manager in any other line of business, because that is what is right for the club, more than it is LJ's ego.

He hasn't had that because he clearly does not want it or does not believe he needs it and SL clearly is prepared to indulge him rather than upset him. There is too much ego in play here for LJ, anyone who thinks otherwise I will provide a long list, he has all the traits of someone whose primary leadership flaw is an inflated ego and an insecurity that materialises in cowardice and self preservation. It's very common.

Great post and thanks especially for bringing up the C word.

I've been thinking of using it in a post for a while now - thought it would provoke too much hostility though. But I agree 100% - throwing players under the bus being just one example of his cowardice.

In contrast, here are 3 quotes from managers / head coaches following defeats for their team in the last couple of weeks:

"We came here tonight and it was a pressure game in a stadium where you know you are going to be under the cosh. The reality is that we couldn't cope. But having said that, it's me as well because I'm responsible for that group of players."

"We looked all over the place, we couldn't handle a simple long ball. Our leaders in the team couldn't clear our box. We've got some issues at the moment but I'm responsible for them."

"England were excellent, every side will look at themselves physically and they certainly won that battle. We didn't fire a shot in that first half. England were fighting to stay in the championship and that's what we need to be in the next two games - I need to look at myself regarding the performance of the first half."

First 2 quotes are from Steven Gerrard, last one Andy Farrell.

Anyone with a rudimentary understanding of psychology can work out why the likes of Gerrrard and Farrrell have the confidence to take the responsibility in situations like this, while insecure individuals pass the buck. 

To be fair, I've always thought Johnson would make an excellent coach.

But as a leader of men, a No.1 who commands respect, no chance.      

It's a facile, borderline inappropriate comparison, but I'll make it anyway - if you were in the trenches, who would you want leading you over the top?

PS. For any Johnson fans reading, this isn't a knee jerk reaction to last night's poor performance, but a long-held opinion. The character traits have always been there, should you know where to look. 

I wonder whether the Brentford forum is in meltdown today (can't be plotted to have a look, though).  Lost to the bottom club last night.  This is a crazy division and I love it!  Wouldn't mind looking down on it for a bit though!  I reckon if we ever make the promised land, we'll have three seasons up there.  Autumn, winter and spring!

COYR

6 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Great post and thanks especially for bringing up the C word.

I've been thinking of using it in a post for a while now - thought it would provoke too much hostility though. But I agree 100% - throwing players under the bus being just one example of his cowardice.

In contrast, here are 3 quotes from managers / head coaches following defeats for their team in the last couple of weeks:

"We looked all over the place, we couldn't handle a simple long ball. Our leaders in the team couldn't clear our box. We've got some issues at the moment but I'm responsible for them."

"We came here tonight and it was a pressure game in a stadium where you know you are going to be under the cosh. The reality is that we couldn't cope. But having said that, it's me as well because I'm responsible for that group of players."

"England were excellent, every side will look at themselves physically and they certainly won that battle. We didn't fire a shot in that first half. England were fighting to stay in the championship and that's what we need to be in the next two games - I need to look at myself regarding the performance of the first half."

First 2 quotes are from Steven Gerrard, last one Andy Farrell.

Anyone with a rudimentary understanding of psychology can work out why the likes of Gerrrard and Farrrell have the confidence to take the responsibility in situations like this, while insecure individuals pass the buck. 

To be fair, I've always thought Johnson would make an excellent coach.

But as a leader of men, a No.1 who commands respect, no chance.      

It's a facile, borderline inappropriate comparison, but I'll make it anyway - if you were in the trenches, who would you want leading you over the top?

PS. For any Johnson fans reading, this isn't a knee jerk reaction to last night's poor performance, but a long-held opinion. The character traits have always been there, should you know where to look. 

Some really interesting points in both your post and @Olé's. It's quite thought provoking and difficult to disagree with.

I find Lee a complete contradiction in this respect, as everything about the way he sets us up, the constant chopping and changing and the mixed messages publicly suggests he's lost complete faith in his own methods. I find it really hard to fathom and pretty concerning. And I know I've said this a few times, but I really believe it.

Everything he talked about when he was appointed and in those early months - busy bees, high pressing, dynamic play - are nowhere to be seen anymore. In fact, I don't think for one minute the team we've put out for the past 18 months or so is a true reflection on what he wants a side to look like.

Instead, we've become obsessed with ticking boxes and trying to have a bit of everything without being anything in particular. It's really worrying and says to me he, as much as us, may just need a fresh start.

10 minutes ago, JackofromSanJavier said:

I wonder whether the Brentford forum is in meltdown today (can't be plotted to have a look, though).  Lost to the bottom club last night.

Frustrated, I'm sure, but they did have 70% possession, 19 shots on goal and 11 corners though.

11 minutes ago, RedDave said:

Can anyone name a manager who has bought in a more senior person to help him where it has worked well?  Genuine question as I cant

Did Trollope bring in Lennie Lawrence? That worked well for a bit!

17 minutes ago, JackofromSanJavier said:

I wonder whether the Brentford forum is in meltdown today (can't be plotted to have a look, though).  Lost to the bottom club last night.  This is a crazy division and I love it!  Wouldn't mind looking down on it for a bit though!  I reckon if we ever make the promised land, we'll have three seasons up there.  Autumn, winter and spring!

COYR

It’s not the meltdown of losing though, it’s more people have had enough of absolute dross being played.

I used to be gutted when we lost, now I’m just immune to it if we do. Home games are an absolute chore and it if wasn’t to see mates I would had stopped as it just isn’t entertaining at all. 

We arnt playing good football, if we do win it’s not even in a good manner. The atmosphere suffers due to it, people are starting to have enough. 

3 hours ago, La Plage said:

Try watching from the stands then, for the rest of us that are obviously not professional coaches have been seeing this unorganised chaos for months.

Let’s not forget we have won 2 games against the current top 10 opposition sides in that league!!! And to be fair both could have easily been different if the opposition took a fraction of the chances they had!!

recent wins against the bottom 3 sides, a QPR side that we had just robbed their 17 goal top striker (again scraping a 0-1 day light robbery result) after clinging on for dear life and Wayne Rooneys Derby, who again were the much better team and almost drew/won when battering us at the end.

if we are actually stuck with you LJ as most think, at least be honest with us and stop all the BS!!!

SWALLOW YOUR PRIDE AND GET SOME HELP, GET A DECENT MORE EXPERINENCED ASSISTANT WHO ACTUALLY HAS THE KNOWLEDGE OF SETTING UP A TEAM THE RIGHT WAY AND IS ABLE TO INFLUENCE AND CHANGE A GAME THROUGH TACTICS AND SUBSTITUTIONS. PLAY PLAYERS IN THIER RIGHT POSITION AND PLAY TO A SYSTEM/STYLE THAT SUITS YOUR TEAMS ABILITY AND PLAYERS RATHER THAN CHANGING IT BLINDLY EVERY WEEK AND BLAMING THE 50 ODD PLAYERS YOU HAVE BOUGHT.

Absolutely shocking if Mr Lansdown had to buy in someone to hold the hand of his top coach, to basically do all the things that a coach at this level should be naturally doing himself.

I could see it happening though, Gary Johnson anyone ?

39 minutes ago, JackofromSanJavier said:

COYR

Oh dear, really? 

56 minutes ago, The Journalist said:

Some really interesting points in both your post and @Olé's. It's quite thought provoking and difficult to disagree with.

I find Lee a complete contradiction in this respect, as everything about the way he sets us up, the constant chopping and changing and the mixed messages publicly suggests he's lost complete faith in his own methods. I find it really hard to fathom and pretty concerning. And I know I've said this a few times, but I really believe it.

Everything he talked about when he was appointed and in those early months - busy bees, high pressing, dynamic play - are nowhere to be seen anymore. In fact, I don't think for one minute the team we've put out for the past 18 months or so is a true reflection on what he wants a side to look like.

Instead, we've become obsessed with ticking boxes and trying to have a bit of everything without being anything in particular. It's really worrying and says to me he, as much as us, may just need a fresh start.

LJ is a  bluffer who doesn’t have the courage to stick with his players or his formations of choice and flays around blindly trying to find the answers instead of riding out a storm. 

When we win it’s mostly by luck .When was the last time you came away from a game thinking that we dominated ? 

How the hell we are anywhere near the play offs is a mystery. 

I think this job came too soon for him and believe that one day he could make a top coach but now is not that day and the error is compounded by having equally inexperienced coaches around him . 

3 hours ago, Olé said:

The right thing has always been to give him experienced support whether or not he feels threatened by it. It's not only the right thing, it would represent only a small compromise for LJ who at several times has been lucky not to simply lose his job.

Could you give some examples here, Rob? Who was Eddie Howe's mentor? Gary Rowett? etc etc 

1 hour ago, RedDave said:

Can anyone name a manager who has bought in a more senior person to help him where it has worked well?  Genuine question as I cant

When, still in his 30s at the time, a certain Brian Clough started his managerial career at Hartlepools United, he brought in as an assistant his former colleague, Peter Taylor, who was already managing Burton Albion.

That partnership didn't turn out too badly.... 

1 hour ago, RedDave said:

Gerrard. Gary McAllister. Rangers. 

Nagelsmann, bought back Gisdol, who he did some badges under, as an advisor. 

Lampard had Morris and Jones, who both have done their badges and coached at Chelsea for years. 

Howe did his coaching badges under Kevin Bond iirc. 

All of them have had input and development from managers much more experienced than them. 

It can work for other younger managers who are willing to learn and adjust accordingly, but most of those examples are managers who know their stuff, and more importantly, such as Lamps, were at least leaders as players.

Ainsworth with Dobson. 

Alex Neil has Steve Thompson on his coaching staff, along with Jonathon Gould. 

Any younger manager is either good at man-management, or surrounds himself with people to help them improve. 

1 hour ago, JackofromSanJavier said:

COYR

Lazy and insulting response imo

1 hour ago, The Journalist said:

Yes as an estate agent! suit him down to the ground.

4 hours ago, Olé said:

And yet here we are and still he is allowed to plough on and get away without all the benefit of experience, for the sake of his ego. He is a committed servant to our club but I'll say it again, it's always been about LJ first and Bristol City second.

Genuine question... what makes you think he’ll be a success at some point? I don’t see any evidence here and his record at both Oldham and Barnsley was nothing to write home about. He hasn’t established a style or built a team, in fact he’s dismantled his own work (even accounting for the sales of top players). 

3 hours ago, JackofromSanJavier said:

COYR

At least they get entertained from time to time

6 hours ago, Olé said:

Classic Narcissist is what Lj is.

3 hours ago, RedDave said:

Wasn't Benny Lennartsson brought in to help John Ward?

Gerard Houlier came in to help Roy Evans at Liverpool.

4 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Could you give some examples here, Rob? Who was Eddie Howe's mentor? Gary Rowett? etc etc 

I referred more generally to any line of business, and the challenge IN any other line of business would be to find examples where there ISN'T some mentorship, development or support from an experienced manager. You don't take someone a few years into a professional line of work and promote them to running the business (as is effectively LJ's path), and on the rare occasion you do (and I have seen it - with budding entrepreneurs in startups) it is always followed by a programme of mentoring or support at CxO level, or even for some of the most well know startups on the planet, actually relegating an inexperienced founder/leader into a figurative or niche leadership role while appointing a proven leader to work in parallel where their experience actually counts. There really is zero precedent for LJ's rise in any other line of work.

But fair enough Will, I did also say "other young coaches" too, so I won't duck that question, let's tackle football directly -- there are plenty of examples so long as you don't consider mentoring only the intervention of a Director of Football at the point someone is already managing, which we know is contentious. It also applies to the leadership and management exposure said young coaches acquire as a player, for which unfortunately Lee Johnson's reference is just his dad too. But elsewhere you have these examples:

• Mourinho - Robson, Van Gaal
  • Guardiola - Cruyff, Robson, Van Gaal
  • Brendan Rodgers - Mourinho, Scolari
  • Nuno Espirito Santo - Mourinho
  • Carlo Ancelotti - Arrigo Sacchi
  • Frank Lampard - Mourinho
  • Diego Simeone - Eriksson, Bielsa
  • Mauricio Pochettino - Bielsa, Camacho
  • Julian Nagelsmann - Tuchel 
  • Thomas Tuchel - Klopp, Magath
  • etc

• (Lee Johnson - Gary Johnson)

Of course there are exceptions in football, people who work their way up from the lower leagues like Alex Ferguson, Chris Wilder, Jurgen Klopp, and Maurizio Sarri, or who have a natural aptitude from the start, like Eddie Howe as you've mentioned (though I'd argue that Howe's exposure to Sean O'Driscoll, given what we at least know of his coaching philosophy albeit not his leadership, would have been highly beneficial). Yet LJ has neither worked his way up from the lower leagues nor been an instant success, so where are the parallels and the precedents?

EDIT: and this is even before you add in @Fuber's list of direct support - in management - from experienced peers.

Don't get me wrong, I like LJ if I can ignore the poor leadership/integrity that stems from his ego/insecurity, and I want him to be a success, but you just can't compare his trajectory and his continued rejection of the value of experience to his development, to any other manager who has been a success without earning their league progression, in the way he has been able to.

Archived