IGNORED

Nowhere near our standards/I’m as upset as I’ve been......

La Plage

5 hours ago, JackofromSanJavier said:

I wonder whether the Brentford forum is in meltdown today (can't be plotted to have a look, though).  Lost to the bottom club last night.  This is a crazy division and I love it!  Wouldn't mind looking down on it for a bit though!  I reckon if we ever make the promised land, we'll have three seasons up there.  Autumn, winter and spring!

COYR

The difference tho is brentford know their style of play,their dna,their best starting 11, have a manager who has an idea and plays nice attacking football.

Comes to us and we have someone as helpful as a chocolate tea pot and is out of his depth constantly throwing players under the bus but football is all about box entries and looking good in training

On 26/02/2020 at 09:39, Olé said:

Not sure it needed the CAPITALS but this is where I've been for a long time. I like LJ and think he'll be a success at some point and have no doubt he does want the best for our club and has some very good ideas he is trying to implement... but the biggest problem is it has always been all about LJ rather than City. If it was about Bristol City he would have experience and mentoring around him like every other young coach or every other young manager in any other line of business, because that is what is right for the club, more than it is LJ's ego.

He hasn't had that because he clearly does not want it or does not believe he needs it and SL clearly is prepared to indulge him rather than upset him. There is too much ego in play here for LJ, anyone who thinks otherwise I will provide a long list, he has all the traits of someone whose primary leadership flaw is an inflated ego and an insecurity that materialises in cowardice and self preservation. It's very common.

The right thing has always been to give him experienced support whether or not he feels threatened by it. It's not only the right thing, it would represent only a small compromise for LJ who at several times has been lucky not to simply lose his job.

And yet here we are and still he is allowed to plough on and get away without all the benefit of experience, for the sake of his ego. He is a committed servant to our club but I'll say it again, it's always been about LJ first and Bristol City second.

Rob - you may recall I created a thread a good while back asking where Lee’s football philosophy came from, who was his mentor (and I didn’t mean the odd call to Kenny Dalglish or Brian Marwood either).  It was a response to “you don’t need to be a top player to be a good coach / manager”.  They all seem to have them....I see you listed several above ?? It is a gap imho.

On 26/02/2020 at 12:15, RedDave said:

Can anyone name a manager who has bought in a more senior person to help him where it has worked well?  Genuine question as I cant

⏬

On 26/02/2020 at 12:26, Super said:

Did Trollope bring in Lennie Lawrence? That worked well for a bit!

I was gonna mention LL they did pretty well imho.

On 26/02/2020 at 13:30, Kid in the Riot said:

Could you give some examples here, Rob? Who was Eddie Howe's mentor? Gary Rowett? etc etc 

I was gonna also mention Don (not Eddie) Howe, who Bobby Gould took to Wimbledon with him.  Almost the complete opposite type of assistant you’d think for a team playing directly.

On 26/02/2020 at 13:23, Major Isewater said:

I think this job came too soon for him and believe that one day he could make a top coach but now is not that day and the error is compounded by having equally inexperienced coaches around him . 

He wanted leaders, so he got rid of every staffer that could possibly have had enough experience to challenge his decisions! Same reason why confident and opinionated experienced players have not been endured too long. 
Leaders = confident dominant individuals aka threats!

On 26/02/2020 at 09:39, Olé said:

Not sure it needed the CAPITALS but this is where I've been for a long time. I like LJ and think he'll be a success at some point and have no doubt he does want the best for our club and has some very good ideas he is trying to implement... but the biggest problem is it has always been all about LJ rather than City. If it was about Bristol City he would have experience and mentoring around him like every other young coach or every other young manager in any other line of business, because that is what is right for the club, more than it is LJ's ego.

He hasn't had that because he clearly does not want it or does not believe he needs it and SL clearly is prepared to indulge him rather than upset him. There is too much ego in play here for LJ, anyone who thinks otherwise I will provide a long list, he has all the traits of someone whose primary leadership flaw is an inflated ego and an insecurity that materialises in cowardice and self preservation. It's very common.

The right thing has always been to give him experienced support whether or not he feels threatened by it. It's not only the right thing, it would represent only a small compromise for LJ who at several times has been lucky not to simply lose his job.

And yet here we are and still he is allowed to plough on and get away without all the benefit of experience, for the sake of his ego. He is a committed servant to our club but I'll say it again, it's always been about LJ first and Bristol City second.

What you’ve said there sounds pretty reasonable and may have some truth in it. There have been occasions where I’ve thought “did he really just say that?“ 

One example was a short interview in front of the Sky cameras just before our game against Birmingham a few weeks back. He talked about moving the club forward and said in the past he might have been lucky to keep his job in some spells. He then quickly stated before the interviewer could reply that he did have offers, or words to that effect. Just didn’t think it was necessary to say that.

I’ve never taken to LJ and I don’t think I ever will, to be truthful. I’ve just about tolerated him as we keep improving our league position by a place or two. But he just comes across as a bit of a smug character and I don’t think that helps his case with some supporters.

Archived